Who Wins The Conn Smythe Trophy?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
I saw a stat during the game last night that there are only three active players who have scored 15 goals in a single playoffs.

Sidney Crosby
Alex Ovechkin
Zach Hyman

Hyman is 4 goals behind Reggie Leach and Jari Kurri for most goals EVER in a playoffs.

It is crazy that he has accomplished this and has virtually no chance at winning the Conn Smythe.
Crosby didn't win the Conn Smythe the year he scored 15 either.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
At this point, I don't see a realistic case for Barkov. It would have to go something like this - Florida wins game 6 by a score of 5-4. The Oilers score the first four goals, and McDavid isn't involved in any of them. Barkov then scores five straight goals (tying the game with a minute left in the third, and then scoring the OT winner). McDavid makes terrible giveaways that resulted in several of those goals. Not impossible - but extraordinarily unlikely.

Bobrovsky could win the Smythe if Florida wins and he steals games 6 and 7 and McDavid is held scoreless. Maybe Edmonton wins 1-0 in game 6 (Bobrovsky stops 40 shots, and McDavid isn't involved in the Oilers' sole goal). Then Bobrovsky gets a shutout in game 7.

McDavid might become the first player in 21 years (and only the second forward in history) to win the Conn Smythe in a losing cause.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
What makes McDavid's performance even more insanely good has been the almost complete disappearance of Draisatl, Hyman and RNH from the score sheet during the finals.

He may or may not win the Smythe, but he's gone a long way toward cementing his place among the all time greats of the game. Should the Oilers end up winning this thing, no meaningful discussion of all time greats cannot include his name.

Agreed. Hyman has one goal against FLA and he scored it by having the puck hit him and go into the net.

RNH has one tap-in goal from the crease (that came when his team was leading 5-1).

Draisaitl hasn't been good outside of Game Four. I'm sure he's hurt.

In the earlier games, McDavid was really the only Oiler who looked remotely dangerous.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Barkov if Panthers win >> An amazing two-way player. Barkov has shut-down, or limited opponents best players these playoffs, It's been a thing of beauty to witness, he's the real deal. Plus, to preform on biggest stage while playing PP & PK minutes, against best of what teams offer. Wow!!!

McDavid if Oilers win >> McD is full-package on offense, helps teammates score, and has ability to take game over carrying play himself. McDavid has stepped up these playoffs. I called McDavid out as not being as proven like Kucherov & Crosby were on biggest playoff stage. But last two games have given McDavid weight on the biggest stage, and he did it against legit "Cup" contender.

Whoever above wins "Cup" gets & deserves award
What has Barkov done to deserve this? I don't watch him much but against the Oilers, he's non-existent and Connor Brown has a bigger impact on the game than he does. When was the last time Barkov scored a short handed goal?

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
How is he leading the Panthers in scoring if this was his first good game? And “good” is an understatement.

Gun to my head, the Smythe is McDavid’s to lose, but if they do give it to a Panther, Tkachuk would be a worthy choice is all I’m saying (provided he finishes strong and Florida wins).

Yeah, Drai’s play has died down in the later rounds…again.
Probably has nothing to do with both times going to the 3rd round or later having severe injuries

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
McDavid is the clear betting favorite to win. I really don't see a scenario where he doesn't. Only Gretz and Mario have had more points and Mario is looking to go down.

This is an all-time performance we are seeing here.

TheLegend27

May 11, 2024
Seattle
That argument comes from people who have no understanding of how ice hockey or team sport works. Best not to even engage with that rhetoric.
The amount of times I heard “player X(under 1 ppg) has had a better playoff run than McDavid 2022(2.06 ppg, 33points) because his team won the cup that year” is concerning. You’d think these people played team sports and would understand that it takes a TEAM to win.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
What has Barkov done to deserve this? I don't watch him much but against the Oilers, he's non-existent and Connor Brown has a bigger impact on the game than he does. When was the last time Barkov scored a short handed goal?

He's been the best player in Panthers and without McDavid having these unworldy playoffs, if Panthers win the Cup he most likely would get the CS

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
The reason Gretzky did not win with 40 points in 93 was because he had already scored 47 in 85, 43 in 88 n mario scored 44 in 91.. its been 31 years since 40 points has been broken. Thats the difference
It probably would've helped his case sure, but even if it was his first 40 point post-season, Roy still should've won the smythe that year. He had a .929 in one of the highest scoring seasons ever along with 10 overtime wins. Arguably the 2nd greatest conn smythe of all time.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
At this point, I don't see a realistic case for Barkov. It would have to go something like this - Florida wins game 6 by a score of 5-4. The Oilers score the first four goals, and McDavid isn't involved in any of them. Barkov then scores five straight goals (tying the game with a minute left in the third, and then scoring the OT winner). McDavid makes terrible giveaways that resulted in several of those goals. Not impossible - but extraordinarily unlikely.

Bobrovsky could win the Smythe if Florida wins and he steals games 6 and 7 and McDavid is held scoreless. Maybe Edmonton wins 1-0 in game 6 (Bobrovsky stops 40 shots, and McDavid isn't involved in the Oilers' sole goal). Then Bobrovsky gets a shutout in game 7.

McDavid might become the first player in 21 years (and only the second forward in history) to win the Conn Smythe in a losing cause.
Maybe it's because I'm on nightshift and haven't had any caffeine before reading this but you have done the impossible.

This is at the same time a conservative and a hot taken or maybe my brain is jello this morning.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
McDavid is the clear betting favorite to win. I really don't see a scenario where he doesn't. Only Gretz and Mario have had more points and Mario is looking to go down.

This is an all-time performance we are seeing here.
Last game confirmed the Conn Smythe for McDavid, win or lose.

There's not really a legitimate argument for any other player at this point. Bob blew it. And even if FLA wins, is Barkov really making up being doubled in points by McDavid? With McDavid dragging EDM back into the series?

Reactions: illone84

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Still laughing at this thread, where I caught some flak for posting that Draisaitl needed to prove it in the SCF before being anointed as one of the "best in history" of the playoffs:

He's injured. Playing with broken fingers and possibly broken ribs. Been injured since the start of the Canucks series.

But don't let that stop you with your bad faith narrative.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Friedman seems to think that McDavid has the conn Smythe locked up, win or lose.

I wouldn’t bet against it. This is some legacy defining shit for McDavid, as if he wasn’t already top 5 all time.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's kinda funny to see this discussion because in the grand scheme of things this trophy really doesn't matter. The Cup is the only thing that matters. If McDavid wins it but loses the Cup it's not going to make anyone feel better.

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
At this point I think the only way McDavid loses the Conn Smythe is Bob puts on showstopper shutout in Game 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad