Who Wins The Conn Smythe Trophy?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Point taken. But they got swept and wayne wasn't even crushing players who bad been eliminated in round 3
Gretzky had 38 points in 16 games and was a +20. He had 22 ES points, 8 pp points and 8 SHP, the latter is an all time record.

As an Oiler season ticket holder back then I have no qualms saying he was fantastic during those playoffs. Gretzky could very well have been the winner without a lot of controversy but Smith was a natural choice. The Oilers peppered him in Game 1 but could not score. Had they won that game the whole series might well have been different, but more likely it just was not the team's time.

GoldenKnight

Jun 2, 2017
Las Vegas
He's injured. Playing with broken fingers and possibly broken ribs. Been injured since the start of the Canucks series.

But don't let that stop you with your bad faith narrative.
"Possibly" injured....sure.

As if the rest of the players still playing are at 100% right now?

And healthy or not, my point still stands. Draisaitl has yet to prove he is "one of the best in history" in terms of playoff performances. To do that, he will have to dominate in the later rounds, which he hasn't been able to do yet, whatever the reason.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

And healthy or not, my point still stands. Draisaitl has yet to prove he is "one of the best in history" in terms of playoff performances. To do that, he will have to dominate in the later rounds, which he hasn't been able to do yet, whatever the reason.
After many posts like this, it would be funny if Drai had a huge game 6 (or game 6 and 7)...

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016

Every injury is the same now? Do you remember Tkachuk from last year's playoffs? Crazy dominant before the injuries took over and he was basically a ghost in the finals. Sure, a lot of players are injured at this time of the playoffs but some are much worse than other. But it's ridiculous to watch the games right now and not see that Draisaitl is playing through some really bad stuff. The guy can't shoot and the Oilers have changed their PP in order for him not to have to take all the shots he's used to taking.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Every injury is the same now? Do you remember Tkachuk from last year's playoffs? Crazy dominant before the injuries took over and he was basically a ghost in the finals. Sure, a lot of players are injured at this time of the playoffs but some are much worse than other. But it's ridiculous to watch the games right now and not see that Draisaitl is playing through some really bad stuff. The guy can't shoot and the Oilers have changed their PP in order for him not to have to take all the shots he's used to taking.
I keep hoping these long breaks between games heal drai. He's clearly not 100percent.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
If McDavid drags the Oilers to cup, with 4 or so more points, is it safe to say his playoffs were the greatest in NHL history?

Nevertheless, win or lose he showed everyone (again) that he's the best player since Lemieux and closer to Super Mario and The Great One than the rest mortals.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

Who cares about a place in history? We know how good he is when he's on his A game.

What are you going to do if injuries take hold?

I keep hoping these long breaks between games heal drai. He's clearly not 100percent.
It seems to be getting worse lol

Reactions: Czechboy

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Assuming FLA wins game 6, because voting will have to be in before the game ends, his performance tomorrow before the 10 min mark in the 3rd will dictate if he wins. This is fact.

If it goes 7 He pretty much wins automatically regardless of the game 7 outcome

Reactions: CanesUltimate11

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Assuming FLA wins game 6, because voting will have to be in before the game ends, his performance tomorrow before the 10 min mark in the 3rd will dictate if he wins. This is fact.

If it goes 7 He pretty much wins automatically regardless of the game 7 outcome

Then there should be a source to this "fact". Or is it simply your opinion?

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Barkov wasn’t putting on a clinic, Bobrovsky was.

Did you see game 1?

Earlier in the series Barkov was doing well. I am not saying he's got a leg up on the Smythe over Bob though. It is Bob or McDavid. An Oiler win and no one is even discussing who wins it, we know. A Panther win and it really depends on how things shake down. A 1-0 shutout to seal it tomorrow night all of the sudden puts Bob in a favourable light again. Put it this way, if the Canucks won Game 7 in 2011 Luongo would have won the Smythe. He had some disastrous games in the final, but some great ones too. If he ends up on a high note then it makes up for the bad games. Ditto here for Bobrovsky.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Earlier in the series Barkov was doing well. I am not saying he's got a leg up on the Smythe over Bob though. It is Bob or McDavid. An Oiler win and no one is even discussing who wins it, we know. A Panther win and it really depends on how things shake down. A 1-0 shutout to seal it tomorrow night all of the sudden puts Bob in a favourable light again. Put it this way, if the Canucks won Game 7 in 2011 Luongo would have won the Smythe. He had some disastrous games in the final, but some great ones too. If he ends up on a high note then it makes up for the bad games. Ditto here for Bobrovsky.

Oh wow, wouldn't that be the saddest Conn Smythe trophy in the history of trophies? A goalie with a sub .910 (sub .900 in the finals) winning over a guy breaking Gretzky records people thought were untouchable two months ago.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Oh wow, wouldn't that be the saddest Conn Smythe trophy in the history of trophies? A goalie with a sub .910 (sub .900 in the finals) winning over a guy breaking Gretzky records people thought were untouchable two months ago.

The thing is we are living in the moment right now. After Game 3 no one thought it would be anyone but Bobrovsky. McDavid wasn't even brought up as a Conn Smythe candidate. Two games later it is reversed in the minds of people. Keep in mind that the writers that vote on this don't tend to be so hot and cold with their opinions that our social media-esque society is. They tend not to get the same amnesia as fans.

Reactions: sanscosm

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
The thing is we are living in the moment right now. After Game 3 no one thought it would be anyone but Bobrovsky. McDavid wasn't even brought up as a Conn Smythe candidate. Two games later it is reversed in the minds of people. Keep in mind that the writers that vote on this don't tend to be so hot and cold with their opinions that our social media-esque society is. They tend not to get the same amnesia as fans.

I hear what you're saying and I don't think it's impossible that you're right. It would still be the worst voted on trophy handed out in the history of pro sports if it happened though.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
If the Panthers win in 6 but McDavid puts up 3+ points in game 6 I think he wins it in a losing effort, else Bob I guess.

If it goes to game 7 McDavid wins it win or lose since I don't see the Oilers forcing a game 7 without another big night from McDavid.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
I hear what you're saying and I don't think it's impossible that you're right. It would still be the worst voted on trophy handed out in the history of pro sports if it happened though.

He is easily the best candidate I have ever seen as a guy who can win one on the losing side. In 1993 Gretzky was otherworldly but Roy was better. In 1983 ditto for Gretzky but he got shutdown in the final and Billy Smith was credited with all of that and won it. Pronger tends to be a name that comes up from 2006 as a guy who could have won in a losing cause. Maybe Alfredsson in 2007. Both of those years the winning team didn't have an eye popping winner either. Ward, Staal and BrindAmour would have been alright in 2006 (Ward won it). There were up to 5-6 names from Anaheim in 2007 that were deserving to mention. And in 1976 Leach just scored at a torrid pace and none of the Habs really stood out either. Lafleur might have been the best.

I thought Hextall probably shouldn't have won it in 1987 over any of the Oilers. Gretzky had "only" 34 points, and perhaps at this point he is competing against himself. Messier had 28 points, Anderson 27, Kurri 25. Coffey had an off year in the postseason. But there was plenty to choose from. It wasn't as if there was weak candidates in Edmonton. So if McDavid wins this in a loss, it will be definitely one of those times where I don't feel it is controversial because Bob would be alright too if he was picked, but McDavid hit some historic heights and there isn't that idea that he is competing against himself here as he has already surpassed the best he's ever done in the playoffs. In fact unless your name is Wayne or Mario there probably isn't a single playoff year that was better.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Then there should be a source to this "fact". Or is it simply your opinion?

It’s strong educated guess based on collecting information. Thats how you make money in this sport.

If it goes 7 there is a 90 percent chance mcdavid wins it. Let’s use our brains here.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
If Panthers win its Bob for me. Bennett is making a case for himself but even with a couple of iffy outings, Bob's been amazing through the playoffs.

If Oilers win its McDavid. If they push it to a game 7 and McDavid shines in the final two games (especially if he challenged more records) then he may steal it.

But again for me it's still Bob if Florida wins it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad