Who Wins The Conn Smythe Trophy?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The betting lines feel it is McDavid by a large margin.
2024 Conn Smythe Trophy Odds
PlayerOdds
Connor McDavid (Edmonton)-200
Aleksander Barkov (Florida)+300
Sergei Bobrovsky (Florida)+750
Matthew Tkachuk (Florida)+3000
Evan Bouchard (Edmonton)+30000
Evan Rodrigues (Florida)+30000
Zach Hyman (Edmonton)+50000

I am NOT a gambler but I understand that means 66.7% of the time, Connor is expected to win.

Last edited:

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
Reactions: nturn06

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
If Barkov doesn't have a huge closing-game performance and he wins the Conn Smythe, it'll be one of the weaker wins for a forward the last 30 years or so.

He'd basically be in the Nieuwendyk/Williams/Crosby 2016 group of winners. Maybe as good as Richards/O'Rielly/Marchessault at best.

It's hard to imagine a forward performance of this calibre being awarded the CS over a 42 (or more) point performance. I think it can happen, but it'll look very bad if he doesn't significantly outperform McDavid in the last game.

Bobrovsky would be about a Ward level winner, I guess. Unless he has a great closing game (and wins), it won't be a good look, either, if he gets the Smythe.

If McDavid has a strong Game Six and gets at least two points, it's hard to imagine a scenario where he's not awarded the Conn Smythe.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
If Panthers win its Bob for me. Bennett is making a case for himself but even with a couple of iffy outings, Bob's been amazing through the playoffs.

If Oilers win its McDavid. If they push it to a game 7 and McDavid shines in the final two games (especially if he challenged more records) then he may steal it.

But again for me it's still Bob if Florida wins it.
But Igor had better GAA and SV%, how can you argue that Bob was the best goalie, let alone bets player?

Reactions: centipede2233

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
If Barkov doesn't have a huge closing-game performance and he wins the Conn Smythe, it'll be one of the weaker wins for a forward the last 30 years or so.

He'd basically be in the Nieuwendyk/Williams/Crosby 2016 group of winners. Maybe as good as Richards/O'Rielly/Marchessault at best.

It's hard to imagine a forward performance of this calibre being awarded the CS over a 42 (or more) point performance. I think it can happen, but it'll look very bad if he doesn't significantly outperform McDavid in the last game.

Bobrovsky would be about a Ward level winner, I guess. Unless he has a great closing game (and wins), it won't be a good look, either, if he gets the Smythe.

If McDavid has a strong Game Six and gets at least two points, it's hard to imagine a scenario where he's not awarded the Conn Smythe.
I don't even think that. I believe Cam Ward was a .920 when the Hurricanes won. Other goalies like Thomas and Quick have won it with above .940. Vasilevskiy I believe was a .937 when he won.

This is why I keep saying a .906 isn't getting you a Conn Smythe. Cam Ward has the lowest SV% of a goalie who won the Conn Smythe since 05-06 and it was a .920.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
@Three On Zero takes it by a landslide IMO

IMG_5793.png

• Love
Reactions: forsbergavs32

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
I don't even think that. I believe Cam Ward was a .920 when the Hurricanes won. Other goalies like Thomas and Quick have won it with above .940. Vasilevskiy I believe was a .937 when he won.

This is why I keep saying a .906 isn't getting you a Conn Smythe. Cam Ward has the lowest SV% of a goalie who won the Conn Smythe since 05-06 and it was a .920.
Yup. If it was a sweep and he stood on his head in Game 4, he probably wins it regardless. There's recency bias at play and a narrative that would have elevated him. That's one of the reasons Williams won it in 2014. But with two straight mediocre games, you'd have to evaluate him through the whole playoffs and it just wouldn't be enough.

It's Barkov or McDavid and I think Barkov would have to have two phenomenal games with a huge Game 7 while McDavid inexplicably disappears for both of them for Barkov to win.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Yup. If it was a sweep and he stood on his head in Game 4, he probably wins it regardless. There's recency bias at play and a narrative that would have elevated him. That's one of the reasons Williams won it in 2014. But with two straight mediocre games, you'd have to evaluate him through the whole playoffs and it just wouldn't be enough.

It's Barkov or McDavid and I think Barkov would have to have two phenomenal games with a huge Game 7 while McDavid inexplicably disappears for both of them for Barkov to win.
Barkov needs to score like at least 5 goals in the next 2 games and McDavid virtually be shut out to have any kind of chance. McDavid is doubling him in points.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

Also can't forget that a very significant component of Ward's Conn Smythe is that he wasn't the Canes' starter opening the playoffs. Taking over for Gerber who fell apart in the first round was huge.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
McDavid has the best narrative by far because he broke the Gretzky record.
Losing teams have won it before. Plus he has the best performance overall in this series, offensively and defensively

Reactions: bucks_oil

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Still laughing at this thread, where I caught some flak for posting that Draisaitl needed to prove it in the SCF before being anointed as one of the "best in history" of the playoffs:

He’s been playing injured.

• Haha
Reactions: Barrsy and Daishi

matsqq

Jan 3, 2011
mcDavid might get the Conn Smythe - also as a consolation if he doesn't win the Stanley Cup.

I know that's not how it's supposed to go down - but I think this will happen regardless.

And he is by far the best player in the playoffs ...

Reactions: Barrsy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad