Who Wins The Conn Smythe Trophy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
If McDude wins in a losing effort he is doing something the all timers haven't done. That has to count for something.
just like the points record, context is needed. Wayne and Mario were never in the position to win the Smythe on the losing side, except maybe Wayne in 1993, old wayne.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
just like the points record, context is needed. Wayne and Mario were never in the position to win the Smythe on the losing side, except maybe Wayne in 1993, old wayne.
Valid , but looking at the players who have won while losing all were incredible runs. Unforgettable runs , which McSmythe deserves.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
The amount of times I heard “player X(under 1 ppg) has had a better playoff run than McDavid 2022(2.06 ppg, 33points) because his team won the cup that year” is concerning. You’d think these people played team sports and would understand that it takes a TEAM to win.
Just get out of here with this. You CANNOT convince me that McDavid's 2022 run was better than Brett Howden's Cup winning 10 points in 22 games last year. The final result speaks for itself!!!!

/s

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I have to ask.

If you are opposed to McD winning the Conn Smythe if he loses. Fine.

But what would he have to do to win it in a losing situation? 40 points in not enough. Would 60 cover it? Or is it simply he must win the Cup?

1718826841784.png

McD has 42 points
Tkachuk and Barkov have 43 points combined

I don't see Bob doing it with these stats either:
1718826976784.png

He's closer to Stu than Shesterkin.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
I have to ask.

But what would he have to do to win it in a losing situation? 40 points in not enough. Would 60 cover it? Or is it simply he must win the Cup?

View attachment 884531

McD has 42 points

View attachment 884532

I just simply agree with this. 97 is just at another level, and if you ask me, win or lose, he deserves the Conn Smyth.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
At this point, I don't see a realistic case for Barkov. It would have to go something like this - Florida wins game 6 by a score of 5-4. The Oilers score the first four goals, and McDavid isn't involved in any of them. Barkov then scores five straight goals (tying the game with a minute left in the third, and then scoring the OT winner). McDavid makes terrible giveaways that resulted in several of those goals. Not impossible - but extraordinarily unlikely.

Bobrovsky could win the Smythe if Florida wins and he steals games 6 and 7 and McDavid is held scoreless. Maybe Edmonton wins 1-0 in game 6 (Bobrovsky stops 40 shots, and McDavid isn't involved in the Oilers' sole goal). Then Bobrovsky gets a shutout in game 7.

McDavid might become the first player in 21 years (and only the second forward in history) to win the Conn Smythe in a losing cause.
Bennett and Rodrigues are the clutch Panthers players with some spark from 19 last game.
One Panthers who was a Bruins killer was Montour.... jeez he brain farts in the current final.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
McDavid is special. It's so easy to hate the Oilers. Their management and the old boys club sucks, the jerseys suck, the city sucks, their recent history and how they built this team sucks, most of their players suck, and many of their fans at HFBoards suck. But McDavid could possibly still become the greatest player of all time while also being humble and overall likeable. It's impossible not to wish success for a guy like him and the story he's writing in these playoffs.

Zaar

Feb 5, 2017
Germany
After the last two games there shouldn't be a debate anymore (at least in my humble opinion). McDavid is the most impactful player in this final series by quite a margin. And that's after he already is an will stay the top scorer of these playoffs.

He's determined to win this thing at all costs and, paired with his his speed and skill, takes it to yet another level.

Anyone but him winning the Conn Smythe would be an almost outrageous surprise to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Monsieur Miz

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
The award is for the whole playoffs, not just the Final series.
McDavid in a landslide, even if FL takes the Cup. The last two games have shown this beyond a shadow of a doubt. Dude makes nhlers trying to defend him look like it’s the first game they ever played.

CN8

May 31, 2010
Canada
McDavid has double the points of Barkov. The Oilers have made it to game 6 and are probably going to win that one in front of their crowd. It's 90% guaranteed that he gets it now.
Not only points
For all the Critism of his D, McD is also 3rd in plus minus while Barkov is even

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I have to ask.

View attachment 884531

McD has 42 points

View attachment 884532

Alot of it should depend on game 6 imo. If he loses 4-3 and has three goals, he should probably win it. Unless Barkov has four goals for Florida.

If he is a -3 and Barkov has three points in game 6, Barkov winning wouldn't be that much of a controversy imo.

After Giguere won in 03, I realized the NHL valued playoffs over just finals. Because just going by finals, Giguere would have had no business winning in 03. Fair or not, McDavid not scoring is a reason they were in an 0-3 hole.

McDavid accepting a CS trophy in his rink while Florida celebrates a cup win, would be a very bittersweet moment.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Alot of it should depend on game 6 imo. If he loses 4-3 and has three goals, he should probably win it. Unless Barkov has four goals for Florida.

If he is a -3 and Barkov has three points in game 6, Barkov winning wouldn't be that much of a controversy imo.

After Giguere won in 03, I realized the NHL valued playoffs over just finals. Because just going by finals, Giguere would have had no business winning in 03. Fair or not, McDavid not scoring is a reason they were in an 0-3 hole.

McDavid accepting a CS trophy in his rink while Florida celebrates a cup win, would be a very bittersweet moment.

Unless Barkov somehow scores 10 points tonight, I don't see any possible reason to justify giving him the Smythe. McDavid is literally outscoring him 2 to 1. And yeah, bittersweet but I expect nothing less than a 10 minute standing ovation if it happens, it's an historical performance that we might not see again in our lifetime and should be treated as such.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Not fair.

He had 14 shots on goal and 3 assists in games 1 through 3.

The Oilers 2nd, 3rd and 4th leading forwards scorers (Drai, RNH, Hyman) have done a disappearing act in the finals-6 points between the three. Had they produced at anywhere near a normal level, McDavid would have had anywhere from 5-6 points in the first 3 games. He has 11 points in the last 4 games and has literally carried this team on his back despite the failings of the other main Oilers forwards.

Last edited:

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Not fair.

He had 14 shots on goal and 3 assists in games 1 through 3.

The Oilers 2nd, 3rd and 4th leading scorers (Drai, RNH, Hyman) have done a disappearing act in the finals. Had they produced at anywhere near a normal level, McDavid would have had anywhere from 5-6 points in the first 3 games. He has 11 points in the last 4 games and has literally carried this team on his back despite the failing of the other main Oilers forwards.
Unlike Giguere in 03, I would have zero problem with McDavid winning it.

I'm just saying alot will depend on game 6

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Barkov if Panthers win >> An amazing two-way player. Barkov has shut-down, or limited opponents best players these playoffs, It's been a thing of beauty to witness, he's the real deal. Plus, to preform on biggest stage while playing PP & PK minutes, against best of what teams offer. Wow!!!

McDavid if Oilers win >> McD is full-package on offense, helps teammates score, and has ability to take game over carrying play himself. McDavid has stepped up these playoffs. I called McDavid out as not being as proven like Kucherov & Crosby were on biggest playoff stage. But last two games have given McDavid weight on the biggest stage, and he did it against legit "Cup" contender.

Whoever above wins "Cup" gets & deserves award
Huh? McDavid has literally dominated him.

If Bob didn't absolutely stand on his head in Game 1, McDavid would probably have three 4+ point games this series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad