Who Wins The Conn Smythe Trophy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
Well if you don't think a gap of 19 points over Barkov or that a .909 save% then I don't know what to say?

I'll say it again the Conn smythe is for the entire playoffs and sure it goes to a player on the winning team basically all of the time but no one has had the gap McDavid has had on a lsoing team ever so his post season is the eception to the rule IMO.

That being said I do think some of the voters will be close minded about it and it has to come from the SC winning team.

Oh it's a gap. I just don't think it will be enough to give it to a guy on the losing side. Same situation with the MVP in the regular season. If you don't make the playoffs you aren't in the running. I didn't say I agree with it but that's how it's been

I think it's going to be close at this point. If Bob stumbles again I'd say that pushes him out of the running. If you listen to the media they're on the Barkov wagon too

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Oh it's a gap. I just don't think it will be enough to give it to a guy on the losing side. Same situation with the MVP in the regular season. If you don't make the playoffs you aren't in the running. I didn't say I agree with it but that's how it's been

I think it's going to be close at this point. If Bob stumbles again I'd say that pushes him out of the running. If you listen to the media they're on the Barkov wagon too
Fair enough.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The Smythe is about the entire playoffs. There is not a single Panther that rivals McDavid´s playoff run even if they are lifting the cup, so the choice should be simple.

Reactions: WalterLundy

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Maybe because choosing the one outlier in the trophy's 57 years is a bit disingenuous?
The performance by McDavid is an historical outlier and he isn't just better by a bit but by a huge margin.

I view the Conn Smythe as the playoff Hart with goalies and Dmen welcome and it's really hard to argue that Barkov or BOB are even really close and their argument comes down to the well he's the best guy on the SC team and while that carries weight it doesn't overcome what McDavid has accomplished this playoffs

The guy broke Wayne Gretzky's all time single season playoff record here.

BOB has a .909 save% and Barkov is a PPG guy.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
No way any FL player has a chance being down 3-1
I suppose you mean Edmonton. But McDavid just broke a Gretzky NHL record, which is very valuable when it comes to Smythe. By definition that's an overall playoffs feat.

The question becomes: "Would FLA/EDM be here without <player>?"

I think for Bobrovsky, the answer might not be as clear-cut. Barkov is a bit more instrumental for FLA. In Edmonton's case, I have high doubts they would be here without McDavid.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Clearly gripping the stick. Missing the net on almost every single one timer it seems. His bread and butter has turned into his weak spot. If he's gained confidence from tonight it'll be a different story again.
He is clearly playing injured.. his finger is taped up and he has lower body /back injury since the VAN series.
It's not about confidence.. his shot power is just not there anymore.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He is clearly playing injured.. his finger is taped up and he has lower body /back injury since the VAN series.
It's not about confidence.. his shot power is just not there anymore.
Injured or not his performance is the most Conn Smythe worthy of this playoffs.

Reactions: Macheteops

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
The performance by McDavid is an historical outlier and he isn't just better by a bit but by a huge margin.

I view the Conn Smythe as the playoff Hart with goalies and Dmen welcome and it's really hard to argue that Barkov or BOB are even really close and their argument comes down to the well he's the best guy on the SC team and while that carries weight it doesn't overcome what McDavid has accomplished this playoffs

The guy broke Wayne Gretzky's all time single season playoff record here.

BOB has a .909 save% and Barkov is a PPG guy.
I don't quarrel with your analysis of McDavid's numbers. I do believe the voters will vote for Sergei if the Panthers win in 6 or less and I don't think the vote will be close. Barkov has had a great playoff run and has been amazingly solid, but he won't be winning Conn Smythe.

Many if not most neutral folks agree Bobrovsky has been the difference in the three wins. Prior to the finals, he outplayed the best goalie in hockey, who wasn't exactly slumping at the time, and beat Swayman as well. This play, coupled with Florida's first ever cup, makes him a lock for the trophy, again, IMHO and assuming this happens in G5 or G6. I think it is generally understood voters consistently afford the finals more weight than the first three rounds, though this isn't written in stone. Conspiracy is not the reason only one skater has won CS from a team that didn't hoist the Cup in 57 years.

McDavid had glorious numbers Saturday, but they were also essentially irrelevant (not particularly valuable) as the Oilers were up 3-1 before he notched a single point. Not his fault, but that's the way the game went. He's the best player on the ice and on the planet, no argument from me. But that is not what the trophy is about.

If this series extends to G7, it will be a hoot to see what happens. And as a neutral watcher, I hope it does, as I hate baseball, and the idea of the Cup being decided in one game for all the marbles next Monday sounds like a blast. I also truly believe that is McDavid's only realistic shot at the CS.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I don't quarrel with your analysis of McDavid's numbers. I do believe the voters will vote for Sergei if the Panthers win in 6 or less and I don't think the vote will be close. Barkov has had a great playoff run and has been amazingly solid, but he won't be winning Conn Smythe.

Many if not most neutral folks agree Bobrovsky has been the difference in the three wins. Prior to the finals, he outplayed the best goalie in hockey, who wasn't exactly slumping at the time, and beat Swayman as well. This play, coupled with Florida's first ever cup, makes him a lock for the trophy, again, IMHO and assuming this happens in G5 or G6. I think it is generally understood voters consistently afford the finals more weight than the first three rounds, though this isn't written in stone. Conspiracy is not the reason only one skater has won CS from a team that didn't hoist the Cup in 57 years.

McDavid had glorious numbers Saturday, but they were also essentially irrelevant (not particularly valuable) as the Oilers were up 3-1 before he notched a single point. Not his fault, but that's the way the game went. He's the best player on the ice and on the planet, no argument from me. But that is not what the trophy is about.

If this series extends to G7, it will be a hoot to see what happens. And as a neutral watcher, I hope it does, as I hate baseball, and the idea of the Cup being decided in one game for all the marbles next Monday sounds like a blast. I also truly believe that is McDavid's only realistic shot at the CS.
Fair enough and I do think some of the voters will look at it differently but it would sure help BOBs case if he gets a shutout or or has a huge game, a 909% is just really meh for a Conn Smythe and the narrative of McDavid breaking Gretzky's assist record might hold some sway with the voters and McDavid's underlying numbers in the finals also matches the eye test he is really driving the paly and is the best guy in the series hands down.

But there are games still to be played so the story is still unfolding.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Injured or not his performance is the most Conn Smythe worthy of this playoffs.
Not even close to being a consideration now.. only if he had continued to produce like he did vs LA.

There likely 4 Oilers and 5 Panthers more worthy than Draisaitl for MVP.

MVP is for all playoffs and not just SC finals.
If Bobrovski leaks again in game 5 then it's going to be wide open for MVP with Barkov likely leading the way

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
if oilers lose in 5, no way McDavid wins it.
Agreed, I don't think there is really a precedent for giving it to McDavid if it doesn't go 7. And even then, he might only win it because the voting is done before the end of the game (I believe).

Bob was ahead until last game.

Now I think Barkov Is close.

If bob plays well in a game 5 victory, he wins it.

Agreed. I think the last game hurt Bobrovsky's chances a bit, but he's the biggest reason they won the first 3 games of the series. In a lot of ways, it doesn't matter all that much what a goalie does in losses (especially when the team only scores 1 goal), if he's carrying them in their wins, and gets them to 16, I think it should be his.

If he's excellent in their 4th win, and that happens in game 5 or 6, it will be hard not to give it to him. If he's only okay and they still win, I think that opens the door for Barkov.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I suppose you mean Edmonton. But McDavid just broke a Gretzky NHL record, which is very valuable when it comes to Smythe. By definition that's an overall playoffs feat.

The question becomes: "Would FLA/EDM be here without <player>?"

I think for Bobrovsky, the answer might not be as clear-cut. Barkov is a bit more instrumental for FLA. In Edmonton's case, I have high doubts they would be here without McDavid.
Wait a sec? FL is up 3-1? I would have never guessed with many of the posts I've read. I really thought FL was getting eliminated in the next game by reading all the posts. You wouldn't think FL is up 3-1. Weird.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The Smythe is about the entire playoffs. There is not a single Panther that rivals McDavid´s playoff run even if they are lifting the cup, so the choice should be simple.
There's no way that McDavid should win over Bob if the Oliers lose the series 4-1. I don't care how many points he scored.

If they lose in seven? Different story.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
Agreed, I don't think there is really a precedent for giving it to McDavid if it doesn't go 7. And even then, he might only win it because the voting is done before the end of the game (I believe).

Agreed. I think the last game hurt Bobrovsky's chances a bit, but he's the biggest reason they won the first 3 games of the series. In a lot of ways, it doesn't matter all that much what a goalie does in losses (especially when the team only scores 1 goal), if he's carrying them in their wins, and gets them to 16, I think it should be his.

If he's excellent in their 4th win, and that happens in game 5 or 6, it will be hard not to give it to him. If he's only okay and they still win, I think that opens the door for Barkov.
I mean there’s pretty good precedent with leach winning it after getting swept while breaking the goals record. Pretty similar actually

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The “Barkov is the best overall forward”narrative pushed by Biznasty, one of the worst analysts around is dumb.

I bet if you counted all offensive and defensive contributions for both McD and Barkov, McD grades out way way ahead. McD’s defensive game is seriously underrated and his offensive game smokes Barkov.

McD who is literally setting all time records in these playoffs. Something no player in decades was able to do, is most obviously the best player in these playoffs.

This should be McD’s Conn Smythe all day long. Anything other than McD winning would be a travesty and black eye for the hockey world.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I mean there’s pretty good precedent with leach winning it after getting swept while breaking the goals record. Pretty similar actually
If you have to go back 50 years, I think that it's debatable if that constitutes "precedent", but since we're going there, how about this for precedent:
  • In 1982-83, Gretzky broke the all time assist record at 26 (it was previously 23) AND the all time points record at 38 (it was previously 35), but since they lost in the finals to the Islanders he didn't get the Smythe (Billy Smith won the it).
  • In 1992-93, he finished the playoffs with 40 points, 15 more points than the next highest scorer on a finals team. But they lost to Montreal, so he didn't win the Smythe (again went to the goalie of the winner, Roy).
Those are much more relevant examples because (a) they are more recent and (b) they don't involve a goals record being broken, which is looked at a lot differently than assists or even points. The media fawns over goal totals, which is why they gave the Smythe to Marchessault last year despite Eichel absolutely carrying him. McDavid's assist record is great, but his low goal total really really hurts his chances of winning a smythe in a losing effort.

McD who is literally setting all time records in these playoffs. Something no player in decades was able to do, is most obviously the best player in these playoffs.
Gretzky did that in 1983 (set the record for assists AND points) but still lost the Smythe because the Islanders beat them in the final.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

From the sounds of it, Bob being pulled killed his Smythe chances. According to Frank Seravalli who has a vote on the matter. Alternatively he also says McDavid is a candidate, but only if the series makes it 6 games. SO currently its looking it Barkovs to lose.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If you have to go back 50 years, I think that it's debatable if that constitutes "precedent", but since we're going there, how about this for precedent:
  • In 1982-83, Gretzky broke the all time assist record at 26 (it was previously 23) AND the all time points record at 38 (it was previously 35), but since they lost in the finals to the Islanders he didn't get the Smythe (Billy Smith won the it).
  • In 1992-93, he finished the playoffs with 40 points, 15 more points than the next highest scorer on a finals team. But they lost to Montreal, so he didn't win the Smythe (again went to the goalie of the winner, Roy).
Those are much more relevant examples because (a) they are more recent and (b) they don't involve a goals record being broken, which is looked at a lot differently than assists or even points. The media fawns over goal totals, which is why they gave the Smythe to Marchessault last year despite Eichel absolutely carrying him. McDavid's assist record is great, but his low goal total really really hurts his chances of winning a smythe in a losing effort.

Gretzky did that in 1983 (set the record for assists AND points) but still lost the Smythe because the Islanders beat them in the final.
I know. A travesty. The NHL is not above looking like a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium