Speculation: Who takes over? (New Coaching Search Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
I’ll just leave this here .. you know who also struggled allegedly running a power play as an assistant coach , and turned out to be a really good head coach … Brindamour… and he didn’t coach under a head coach that’s had one good powerplay in his long nhl coaching career .

Larsen had an ahl record of 92-45-15 , 2 division titles in 2 yrs … a 21 point improvement from prior year. Not saying he’s my choice … but if he is , I’ll understand why , and give him a chance

Eh. After reading some of Jarmo's comments in Porty's recent article, I'm guessing that Larsen will likely be the choice. I don't like it one bit. Give the fan base something to get excited about since we're getting crap from all sides right now.

Reactions: Halberdier

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Eh. After reading some of Jarmo's comments in Porty's recent article, I'm guessing that Larsen will likely be the choice. I don't like it one bit. Give the fan base something to get excited about since we're getting crap from all sides right now.
There's a lot of things that go into picking the coach, pleasing the fan base should most definitely NOT be a factor.

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
There's a lot of things that go into picking the coach, pleasing the fan base should most definitely NOT be a factor.

Didn't you get the memo. Apparently that's not how it works with pro sports in Columbus. The Jackets will be adopting the CREWocracy way of doing things. HAHAHAHAHA.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Columbus Blue Jackets
The Blue Jackets enter the offseason in a precarious position. The club's about to undergo some sort of rebuild, retool, or reset - choose your buzzword - after a miserable season, which followed the most successful run in franchise history.

Tortorella is out, and Columbus needs to bring in a coach that can get the most out of Patrik Laine, who struggled mightily after arriving in Ohio. Considering the Jackets are in a small market, don't expect the team to empty its pockets for a big-name head coach - especially after all of the 2020-21 campaign's lost revenue.

Still, Boudreau could be a fit - he has a strong track record of regular-season success and getting the most out of skilled players.

However, with John Davidson back in the fold as team president after a two-year stint with the Rangers, Quinn is an obvious fit after the duo worked together in New York.

Lastly, if one NHL franchise were to go outside the box and hire the third European head coach in league history, it would probably be the one with Jarmo Kekalainen - the first European GM in NHL history - calling the shots. That leaves former Swedish national coach Gronborg, as well as Finnish national coach Jukka Jalonen, as possibilities.

Prediction: Rikard Gronborg

Predicting hires for each NHL head coaching vacancy

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Larsen would be the Columbus equivalent of Blashill. The White Flag will have been raised to the top of the pole.

It would be a surprise hire to me.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
Quinn could very well be it. Wouldn't surprise me one bit. He looks like Sullivan from Pittsburgh. If Sullivan gets canned maybe he can be an assistant.:laugh:

That sounds very Michigan football. Fire Harbaugh and hire someone from Ohio State. I could live with Quinn, because to me it might leave open the remote possibility that JD/Jarmo might be after Jack Eichel.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
That sounds very Michigan football. Fire Harbaugh and hire someone from Ohio State. I could live with Quinn, because to me it might leave open the remote possibility that JD/Jarmo might be after Jack Eichel.
I had forgotten about the BU connection between the two. Your point makes sense.

David Quinn Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Quinn was the 13th overall pick of the 1984 draft by the Minnestoa North Stars. I did not know that.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
  • Rick Tocchet had his second interview with the Blue Jackets on Friday, according to Craig Morgan of azcoyotesinsider.com. Current Blue Jackets assistant Brad Larsen has had a second interview, too. It’s believed that Gerard Gallant will sit with the Blue Jackets a second time in the coming days after he’s finished coaching Canada in the IIHF World Championships in Riga, Latvia. The Canadians were set to play Finland in the gold medal game on Sunday.

Blue Jackets Sunday Gathering: Is a total rebuild coming? Plus, a wild idea for those late first-round picks

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That being said, I think Gallant would rather be somewhere else. He was here once when it was a train wreck. I wouldn’t want to be here a 2nd time during a different train wreck.

JD had better be working the used car sales angle hard on the organization now.

Gallant has a fantastic record at cobbling together a working team from a motley crew of players. He did it in Florida and in Vegas.

If I'm interviewing him for the job I'd love to ask him to tell me about our team. Who are the guys you can work with? Who can you not work with? What sort of players and what specific players around the league would help you get the job done? Work with him on coming up with a plan and sell him on running the turnaround here. If he thinks it can be done, this is where you get another Jack Adams. Where it's not expected.

That and back up the Brinks truck, that would help too.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
My short list has now two names:

Gallant
Jalonen

Why not even both, if it's too much to be a head coach without prior NHL experience.

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
Gallant
Tocchet
Quinn
Larsen

So, this is probably the list if JD is the one heading the search. Could there be someone in there that no one is talking about? Possible, maybe even likely. I know there is a lot of clamoring for the Finn and Swede, but I don't know if the CBJ want to become known as the experimental franchise in the league. They're getting laughed at enough. I don't know at this point. I'm not sure it really matters at this point.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Gallant has a fantastic record at cobbling together a working team from a motley crew of players. He did it in Florida and in Vegas.

If I'm interviewing him for the job I'd love to ask him to tell me about our team. Who are the guys you can work with? Who can you not work with? What sort of players and what specific players around the league would help you get the job done? Work with him on coming up with a plan and sell him on running the turnaround here. If he thinks it can be done, this is where you get another Jack Adams. Where it's not expected.

That and back up the Brinks truck, that would help too.

I think gallant is where you go if you want a 1-2 year retool and take a shot. Nelson and Velluci still seem like more grow the youth slowly options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad