Speculation: Who takes over? (New Coaching Search Thread)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I hold Jalonen in very high regard, his track record with the national team, both men and juniors is superb, I don't think there's a better coach in the world for a tournament, or if there is, it can't be by much. I haven't followed his career in different leagues all that closely, but in the national teams he always seems to get the most out of the roster. The questions I have about Jalonen would be how well does his style & demands translate to a 82 game regular season and what I assume is completely different culture than any he has coached in before?

In the situation CBJ is in, I don't think the risk is all that high since contending seems highly unlikely anyway, so it's an experiment they could afford with potential for high reward, but I dunno... on the other hand I feel like bringing in a Finnish head coach is a career move Jarmo doesn't want to make, but on the other hand if I just think of Jalonen as a fresh coach coming from outside of NA hockey circles, then it's just the kind of move Jarmo would make.

Reactions: CBJx614

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
How does the Jones news affect the coaching search? Maybe it has no impact but if I was an experienced coach I'd have reservations about joining the Jackets at the moment. However, being employed beats being unemployed.

Lots depend on how the J's react to the news. If they truly believe they have the basis of a good team even without Jones then I guess it won't have any effect on their search. If they are in any kind of a rebuild mindset then I would think they would look for a guy who has had success at the AHL level with some assistant experience at the NHL level. Does this raise David Quinn's chances at all?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Having the night to process , this will be the best thing possible to fuel our rebuild , and for once , let’s do it right . Jones is a good player , versatile, but he doesn’t deserve to be paid like a top 5 defenseman . New York may be a perfect opportunity, same with Edmonton . Teams that have enormous pressure to get better . Play your young skill , let them actually play and develop, get as many picks as possible for the next couple drafts , and let’s bring in for once some elite talent . All our problems are due to lack of winning . We’ve been out of the first round in they playoffs 1 time , in our organizations history . That’s pathetic . On top of that , thru Hitch, Torts , and heck King , we tried to win playing yesterday’s hockey , play hard , check hard , which can make you competitive , but also stuck in mediocrity. Torts ceiling here was borderline playoff team, because the style , and he coached his comfort level of playing role players Nick, Boone , 20 minutes per night . Let’s get the coaching hire right , load up on picks and elite young talent , and do this right for once . Thank god JD is back .

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
How does the Jones news affect the coaching search? Maybe it has no impact but if I was an experienced coach I'd have reservations about joining the Jackets at the moment. However, being employed beats being unemployed.

Lots depend on how the J's react to the news. If they truly believe they have the basis of a good team even without Jones then I guess it won't have any effect on their search. If they are in any kind of a rebuild mindset then I would think they would look for a guy who has had success at the AHL level with some assistant experience at the NHL level. Does this raise David Quinn's chances at all?
Welp look at the teams hiring .. I would argue with the talent / picks we get back for Jones , the 3 first round picks in this draft , we are in much better shape than Seattle . Much better position than Buffalo . New York is going to get the coach they want , so if that’s Gallant , we weren’t going to get him over New York any way . Not to mention the pressure here is minimal compared to those places mentioned . I would argue the organization has know Seth was gone well before this week , which may bring into focus as to why JD was called immediately .. Jarmo initially spun this as it was business as usual when asked about JD coming in , but JD has made it know he reports to Priest , and decisions now go thru him .

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
The biggest change I see with Jones’ likely departure is Gallant is probably out but Quinn’s star rises.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
They should do the same thing with the coach that teams sometimes do with the captaincy when they're in transitional states: don't name a coach, just name assistant coaches and then rotate the "head" label from game to game.

Hire Manny and Jukka and let them learn from each other - Manny can learn some of the coaching/motivational stuff and Jukka can pick up the nuances stemming from the way the game is played North America.

...I am not even sure I'm joking.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
FWIW, Manny appears to me to be similar to Larsen in the fact that he's a young, highly-regarded name around the league who's responsible for a middling PP and whose fanbase hates him and wants him fired.

Make of that what you will.

Reactions: majormajor

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Item #1: Don’t rule out Brad Larsen

The Blue Jackets are “pretty much” done with their first round of interviews in the search for a coach to replace John Tortorella, general manager Jarmo Kekalainen said over the weekend. The second round of interviews will likely begin this week.

Gerard Gallant, Brad Larsen, Todd Nelson, David Quinn and Rick Tocchet are known to have interviewed, but there may be others, too. Bob Hartley and Jukka Jalonen declined to say if they’ve been contacted by the Blue Jackets.

There’s a good mix of age, experience and styles on that list, and it remains to be seen what Kekalainen believes this organization needs — other than adherence to the standard that was set by Tortorella — with the next coach
Kekalainen doesn’t want to be seen as putting his thumb on the scales for any one candidate, but he also had a lot to say this week when asked if there was a way the organization could hire Larsen without a Crew-style revolt by Blue Jackets fans.

“If we were to think he’s the best choice to be our coach, I’d be happy to take the bullets,” Kekalainen said. “We should hire the best coach, no matter what the perception might be.”

Kekalainen noted, fairly, that Tortorella’s perception — after an awful 2013-14 in Vancouver — wasn’t exactly at its pinnacle when the Blue Jackets hired him seven games into the 2015-16 season.

But Tortorella’s arrival was mostly celebrated by the Blue Jackets’ fan base. Hiring Larsen might require a delicate public relation’s roll-out by the Blue Jackets given the current angst-ridded state of the franchise.

First, a little background.

Larsen has been with the Blue Jackets’ organization since he began his coaching career as an AHL assistant in 2010. After two years in that role, he ascended to the top AHL coach for two seasons before he was brought to Columbus to join the staff as an assistant.

One of Larsen’s jobs in Columbus has been to coach the Blue Jackets’ power play, which is how he’s become a lightning rod for scorn and vitriol among the fan base.
The Jackets’ power play was incredible in the first half of the 2016-17 season. But since then, it’s been excruciatingly, unwatchably awful. It has been so elementary in its approach, so devoid of skill and creativity and unpredictability. Instead of scooting to the edge of their seats with the man advantage, Blue Jackets fans often take the opportunity for a beer run or a bathroom break.

And so the mere mention of Larsen’s name brings a deluge of anger from Blue Jackets’ fans on social media. When it became known that Larsen would be getting an interview for the job and assistant coach Brad Shaw would not, Twitter exploded.

Tortorella, who has pushed for Larsen to be his successor in Columbus for some time, has defended Larsen passionately, though he didn’t want to be quoted for this story. Larsen and Shaw ran most of the Blue Jackets’ practices, Tortorella said, and Larsen did extensive work and teaching on the club’s 5-on-5 play through the years.
But Kekalainen doesn’t need to be sold on Larsen.

“We will give him an equal look because he’s deserving, and we know exactly what we’d be getting,” Kekalainen said. “That’s where I get most excited is he would keep the standard we’ve set and he would maintain the accountability. He’s a confident guy. He’s his own man. He was not a ‘yes man’ to Torts. He wasn’t.”

Judging Larsen by the Blue Jackets’ power play, Kekalanen said, would be like judging a GM only by his trades.

“That’s only been a fraction of his responsibilities,” he said. “It doesn’t fall entirely on Brad Larsen’s plate that we haven’t had a good power play. I’ll take responsibility for the power play — getting the right personnel is my job — as much as the coaching staff should, but it shouldn’t be on one guy.”

One year after Kekalainen was hired as GM, he promoted Larsen from AHL coach to assistant on Todd Richards’ staff. Larsen was replaced at the AHL level by Jared Bednar, who spent two years in that role before he was hired by Colorado. Now Bednar and the Avs are favorites to win the Stanley Cup.
Kekalainen believes Larsen is worthy of the same opportunity.

“We brought him up from Springfield (in 2014) because we thought he was going to be a very good coach and we wanted him closer to our NHL guys,” Kekalainen said. “We know inside and out what kind of coach Brad Larsen would be and what kind of standard he would set for us. There’s no guessing there.
“That’s one big thing, and the perception that we get from our leaders within our team is the most important thing for us.”

Blue Jackets Monday Gathering: Brad Larsen getting long look, Jackets are overdue in the lottery, and growing interest in Seth Jones

oh no

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
He wouldn't have been my pick based on what little I know, but

IF Tortorella says this is the guy,
AND Jarmo says this is the guy,
AND team leaders say this is the guy,

Then f*** it, maybe he is. They would know better than any of us.
Kinda my thoughts as well. It sounds like they've believed in the guy for almost a decade. Now it's time to put their money where there mouth is. And what do they have to lose. If the team struggles for the next few seasons, it's to be expected. If they start winning, it looks like a really good move. They can afford to take a "risk" with this hiring.

And to be honest, he's probably the least risky pick of them all.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

Because if the last year and change has told us anything, its that our team leadership, Torts, and Jarmo's judgement are top notch and trustworthy.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I can't say I would be going into that with any confidence, but frankly going into the prior coaching hire I was advocating for Kekalainen to be fired as a result and ended up with a big heaping serving of crow. So I wouldn't like it, but I'd be prepared to wait and see.

Reactions: LJ7201

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
The ridiculous and mostly baseless detest for Larsen on the Blue Jackets Reddit is the main reason I'm even here. How much they ran with little information on that really irks me. They think it's funny or something to scapegoat him I don't get it.

If he gets the job then I'm going to have an open mind to see how he does. It's been documented that he dissents a lot from Torts style and views yet still has his full respect. I think that says something. At least it says a lot more than the "he runs powerplay and the powerplay is bad so he'd be a bad HC" bs on Reddit and other Jackets circles.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
If you read up on Larsens history, and what he’s been thru , sounds like a pretty remarkable man . A lot of the national articles name Larsen as an up and coming coach . No doubt , the perception from our fans will be disastrous, as many try to equate the poor powerplay to Larsens coaching ability . I think Nelson would be the safer pick, perhaps Quinn, as long as we get a coach that ditches the defense first , we are going to muck it up to win games , I will be happy . I feel like Columbus, Minnesota , and Nashville all took this approach initially . Nashville has been close and bottomed out , Minnesota made the transition and struck gold with Kaspirov. And here we are in Columbus playing Foligno , Jenner , 20 minutes per night.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
The ridiculous and mostly baseless detest for Larsen on the Blue Jackets Reddit is the main reason I'm even here. How much they ran with little information on that really irks me. They think it's funny or something to scapegoat him I don't get it.

If he gets the job then I'm going to have an open mind to see how he does. It's been documented that he dissents a lot from Torts style and views yet still has his full respect. I think that says something. At least it says a lot more than the "he runs powerplay and the powerplay is bad so he'd be a bad HC" bs on Reddit and other Jackets circles.
Reddit fans are generally uninformed.

Larsen I would be willing to give a chance, albeit on a pretty short leash. I don’t know if I’m convinced an internal guy is the solution, and if he can have the guys playing the style and system that best fits the team. That said, I’d bite my tongue and let it happen. I’d prefer Larsen to Tocchet 100/100 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad