Speculation: Who takes over? (New Coaching Search Thread)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Antti Mäkinen semed pretty sure in his last podcast with Kimmo Timonen, thatJukka Jalonen was heading over the Atlantic next season to coach in the NHL, but not as a head coach.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Antti Mäkinen semed pretty sure in his last podcast with Kimmo Timonen, thatJukka Jalonen was heading over the Atlantic next season to coach in the NHL, but not as a head coach.
Ive said all along when Jarmo was talking to Jalonen late in the season that he would come over as assistant, which to me indicates that Larsen is going to be the choice. Alot easier to convince a first time head coach who your assistant will be .

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Ive said all along when Jarmo was talking to Jalonen late in the season that he would come over as assistant, which to me indicates that Larsen is going to be the choice. Alot easier to convince a first time head coach who your assistant will be .

I hope you're wrong, but you're probably right. I am sure we will find out in the next few days

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
There is no way I would accept my assistants picked for me even if I was a first time head coach. Your replacement is already there. The players know this so why would they play hard for the guy knowing he will be replaced sooner rather than later. Plus, then you have to worry if the assistant is undermining what you are doing so he can replace you faster.

It also doesn't reflect well on the organization. It shows you aren't quite sure what you want to do.

Pick a guy, and let him get to work.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015

Makes some sense.

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH

I can't think of a worse possible outcome. If the team is rebuilding, it's time to find a new direction in philosophy, not more of the same. I better start preparing now for what's to come in the new season and likely at least the one after that.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
There is no way I would accept my assistants picked for me even if I was a first time head coach. Your replacement is already there. The players know this so why would they play hard for the guy knowing he will be replaced sooner rather than later. Plus, then you have to worry if the assistant is undermining what you are doing so he can replace you faster.

It also doesn't reflect well on the organization. It shows you aren't quite sure what you want to do.

Pick a guy, and let him get to work.

Well, if they feel like they need JD to look over Jarmo’s shoulder I guess it’s cool to have Jarmo telling the new coach how to do their job.

Of course, the implication there is that we have people in positions that we don’t trust to do their jobs. Which is cool.

Last edited:

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Well, if they feel like JD needs to look over Jarmo’s shoulder I guess it’s cool to have Jarmo telling the new coach how to do their job.

Of course, the implication there is that we have people in positions that we don’t trust to do their jobs. Which is cool.
Having something like this go on reeks of what the Browns were doing after Haslam took over. It was ridiculous until his wife took a bigger role and started putting people in places and trusting them to do their jobs without interference from above.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I'm not negative on Larsen, reading about him, hes overcome some remarkeable things, hes a former player, and lets face it, most of the negative impression our fans have about him stem from the powerplay, which we can argue all day, but its plagued Torts everywhere hes coached, and been a huge weakness of nearly every team hes iced. I dont think the front office should be picking the assistant coaches, but it wouldnt surprise me to see Jalonen on this next staff. And honestly, hes head coach quality, its just a risky hire.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I can't think of a worse possible outcome. If the team is rebuilding, it's time to find a new direction in philosophy, not more of the same. I better start preparing now for what's to come in the new season and likely at least the one after that.
I think with Larsen we would see a totally different philosophy, while keeping some of the identity the front office likes. Especially if Jalonen is brought in as well . But I totally get what you are saying as well .

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
If Jalonen were to be brought in as an assistant, what would his focus be, forwards or defensemen? Hopefully someone a lot more knowledgeable about the guy than me would have some insight here.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
Of course I am biased, but the one thing Jalonen has always excelled at IMHO is getting the most out of underdog teams or getting players to accept their given roles for the graeter god of the franchise/team.

Coaching Awards and honours

head coach
Assistant coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad