Speculation: Who takes over? (New Coaching Search Thread)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Reddit fans are generally uninformed.

Larsen I would be willing to give a chance, albeit on a pretty short leash. I don’t know if I’m convinced an internal guy is the solution, and if he can have the guys playing the style and system that best fits the team. That said, I’d bite my tongue and let it happen. I’d prefer Larsen to Tocchet 100/100 times.

What style and system would Larsen want to employ? We don't know. You can't just assume he'd want to do what Torts does.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
What style and system would Larsen want to employ? We don't know. You can't just assume he'd want to do what Torts does.
Yeah, and I don’t. It’s mainly my issue that I think I want more of a change than an internal guy would be able to provide. But, I’d give him a chance.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
2nd round as in 2nd interviews or as in 2nd round as in a 2nd round of 1st interviews now that more people are available?

It usually means 2nd interviews. But it wouldn't be strange for another candidate or two to pop up and get a 1st interview.

Reactions: MissADD

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Thing is , every article has stated their may be candidates they don’t know about , so maybe contacts close to these people reached have let someone know , doesn’t mean there are not candidates we may not know about .

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
Heard he can change the way he coaches depending upon the players available.

I like this part. I've never understood the idea that a coach, in any sport, would coach to "their system" regardless of whether the players fit it. You hear it a lot in football and see coaches getting rid of good players who "don't fit their style" and to me it's always seemed like a mark of laziness or incompetence. If you're just going to coach what you already know and have to have all the proper pieces to get it to work, just sell me your notes and I'll hire some doofus off the street to read and implement them.

Figure out what you have, use your knowledge of the game and synthesize the skills on offer with the style you implement. That seems like coaching.

Reactions: KJ Dangler

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
But we know he worked with Torts for years and Tort's system went stale. If torts trusted his so much shouldn't he have listened to him more? I'm just not sure I trust Torts opinion in picking his own replacement when he acknowledged that he didn't fit anymore.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Nelson, Larsen , Gallant are sounding better and better

here’s another take in the opposite light

Where will former Rangers coach David Quinn land next season - Forever Blueshirts: A site for New York Rangers fanatics

What we did learn from the players that were made available was that Quinn as a teacher and groomer of young talent was a hit. “From day one they just harped on me being a complete player,” Team MVP Adam Fox said. “They knew I could defend. They helped me elevate my game.” The Blueshirts first overall pick, Alexis Lafrenière lauded his Quinn’s guidance and support this past season. “He helped me a lot,” the 19 year-old rookie explained.

Honestly seems like any other coach IMO. There will be players who are not crazy for him and there will also be players that swear by him.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Nelson, Larsen , Gallant are sounding better and better

So basically, 2 guys that can't seem to hack it (Gauthier, Lias), a veteran on a severe downtrend when Quinn came in, played 16 total games under him and has essentially been out of the league since then (Spooner), 2 guys seemingly complaining about ice time (Chytil, Kravtsov), and Kakko.

Quinn is probably my 4th-5th choice- Gallant, Nelson, Jalonen, Velucci are my preferences- but I still couldn't give a shit what most of those guys have to say about him.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
here’s another take in the opposite light

Where will former Rangers coach David Quinn land next season - Forever Blueshirts: A site for New York Rangers fanatics

Honestly seems like any other coach IMO. There will be players who are not crazy for him and there will also be players that swear by him.

So basically, 2 guys that can't seem to hack it (Gauthier, Lias), a veteran on a severe downtrend when Quinn came in, played 16 total games under him and has essentially been out of the league since then (Spooner), 2 guys seemingly complaining about ice time (Chytil, Kravtsov), and Kakko.

Quinn is probably my 4th-5th choice- Gallant, Nelson, Jalonen, Velucci are my preferences- but I still couldn't give a shit what most of those guys have to say about him.

It seems like guys who do well like him and guys that couldn't cut it want to blame him for their failures. I'm not sure what Kakko had to say but he certainly hasn't performed like a #2 draft pick for whatever reason.

Reactions: GoJackets1

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
It seems like guys who do well like him and guys that couldn't cut it want to blame him for their failures. I'm not sure what Kakko had to say but he certainly hasn't performed like a #2 draft pick for whatever reason.
Correct.. which seems like the same scenario as any other team IMO.

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
This search seems to be all over the place. No one even seems to know exactly how many candidates have been interviewed. I can appreciate the cloud of secrecy, but I find it odd that none of the national experts have really commented in earnest what might be going on here. Seems like just hearsay with a couple of confirmations.

The only person I don't want to see as coach is Brad Larsen. He had his chances to prove he was head coach material and I appreciate Jarmo trying to fall on his sword regarding the power play, but if you can't come up with better strategy in three years, then it's time to move on.

I don't know what Quinn's relationship was like with Eichel at BU, but if the Jackets are planning to go after him, this would make a lot of sense. To me the best candidate would be the coach that can get the best out of young, talented players since talented UFAs are likely off the table here.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
This search seems to be all over the place. No one even seems to know exactly how many candidates have been interviewed. I can appreciate the cloud of secrecy, but I find it odd that none of the national experts have really commented in earnest what might be going on here. Seems like just hearsay with a couple of confirmations.

The only person I don't want to see as coach is Brad Larsen. He had his chances to prove he was head coach material and I appreciate Jarmo trying to fall on his sword regarding the power play, but if you can't come up with better strategy in three years, then it's time to move on.

I don't know what Quinn's relationship was like with Eichel at BU, but if the Jackets are planning to go after him, this would make a lot of sense. To me the best candidate would be the coach that can get the best out of young, talented players since talented UFAs are likely off the table here.
I’ll just leave this here .. you know who also struggled allegedly running a power play as an assistant coach , and turned out to be a really good head coach … Brindamour… and he didn’t coach under a head coach that’s had one good powerplay in his long nhl coaching career .

Larsen had an ahl record of 92-45-15 , 2 division titles in 2 yrs … a 21 point improvement from prior year. Not saying he’s my choice … but if he is , I’ll understand why , and give him a chance

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't find it odd at all. Our existence is a bothersome inconvenience to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad