Speculation: Who takes over? (New Coaching Search Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I was going to ask the question in the Torts thread but the coaching discussion was closed and it didn't seem right to ask it in thread announcing he's not returning, so I made a separate thread for the big question...

Who takes over the HC from here?
Who are the potential options?
Who makes the most sense?
Will we promote from within or look elsewhere?

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
And from the drum Portzline beats --- how much is CBJ prepared to spend on a coach/staff?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I was going to ask the question in the Torts thread but the coaching discussion was closed and it didn't seem right to ask it in thread announcing he's not returning, so I made a separate thread for the big question...

Who takes over the HC from here?
Who are the potential options?
Who makes the most sense?
Will we promote from within or look elsewhere?

yeah sorry about that. Just thought it might be good to keep all of the Torts era stuff in that coaching thread and start fresh with a new coaching thread for the new coach when he gets here.

As far as some options, Gallant is one. I know people are going to say he's too expensive,and maybe he is, but Brind'Amour just got an extremely below market deal and he's in the upper tier of coaches. If Gallant wants to return to the NHL, which he does, and options could be limited (which they won't be but hear me out) he could maybe take a deal similar to Torts' (2 million) and return here.

Other options include Alain Vigneault (if the Flyers fire him), David Quinn (if the Rangers fire him), Bruce Boudreau, Claude Julien, Todd Nelson, and Mike Villucci. I'm sure both Shaw and Larsen will get interviews as well as a respect thing.

Reactions: CBJx614

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
yeah sorry about that. Just thought it might be good to keep all of the Torts era stuff in that coaching thread and start fresh with a new coaching thread for the new coach when he gets here.

As far as some options, Gallant is one. I know people are going to say he's too expensive,and maybe he is, but Brind'Amour just got an extremely below market deal and he's in the upper tier of coaches. If Gallant wants to return to the NHL, which he does, and options could be limited (which they won't be but hear me out) he could maybe take a deal similar to Torts' (2 million) and return here.

Other options include Alain Vigneault (if the Flyers fire him), David Quinn (if the Rangers fire him), Bruce Boudreau, Claude Julien, Todd Nelson, and Mike Villucci. I'm sure both Shaw and Larsen will get interviews as well as a respect thing.
Put me down as a no for Julien, Vignault and Boudreau.....Nelson and Villucci no opinion.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Put me down as a no for Julien, Vignault and Boudreau.....Nelson and Villucci no opinion.

The only reason why I include Boudreau is his ability to get offense out of his teams.

I hope we don't get Julien as well.

Reactions: CBJx614

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I have a feeling Jarmo goes off the grid , as he does with his draft picks . We know he’s been in touch with Jukka Jalonen.. I’d be ok with Gallant , and with our payroll being quite a bit under the cap I can’t see them missing out on the coach they want because if money . I think what it came down to with Torts is he wasn’t a fit for the personnel , not remotely a money issue .

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I have a feeling Jarmo goes off the grid , as he does with his draft picks . We know he’s been in touch with Jukka Jalonen.. I’d be ok with Gallant , and with our payroll being quite a bit under the cap I can’t see them missing out on the coach they want because if money . I think what it came down to with Torts is he wasn’t a fit for the personnel , not remotely a money issue .

Im willing to bet that Jalonen won’t even be considered or even on the staff.

Jarmo is probably friends with him and just wanted to reach out and ask about Laine and what he can do to help him.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Considering the debacle of Scott Arniel, I may be crazy for saying this, but I think I’d always prefer a new, up and coming coach over a rehash of the same guys over and over. I’m sick of seeing the same coaches recycled through teams. It’s annoying. Give some new guys a chance.

I have nothing whatsoever to base this off of, but Malhotra and Jalonen would be my two favorite choices. Only recycled name I’d be okay with is Gallant, but he’s a distant 3rd/4th choice. Gronberg, and maybe an NCAA guy could be fun as well.

Reactions: LJ7201 and Monk

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Copy and pasting my post from the Torts thread into here.

Here comes a bunch of former Blue Jackets

Manny Malhotra- Assistant coach of the Leafs. Didn't someone post an article on how he's one of the young up and coming potential NHL coach?

Kevin Dineen- Head coach of the San Diego Gulls of the AHL. Portzline mentioned they had a shot at him in 2010 but he eventually withdrew his name from the running.

Luke Richardson- Assistant coach of the Canadiens. So Jalonen and Dineen was thrown out by a fan in Portzline's q and a. When he was answering, it was Portzline who threw Richardson's name into the mix.

Also I think Canucks head coach Travis Green is a free agent as well.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
There seems to be a plethora of quality choices available compared to most other years.

I would be quite surprised if Gallant came back. When given some talent to work with (which he didn't have here), he's done a fine job. It's just weird though the circumstances of his firings in Florida and Vegas given how well he did at each of those stops. I'm just not convinced that he would want to be part of a rebuild vs. taking over a talented but underachieving team (just a hunch but I think he will end up in Philly).

I think that if Jarmo is looking at going the skilled route vs. the hard to play against route of playing the game then Boudreau would be an ideal choice. I'm usually not a fan of hiring from the retread pool but in this case he might be the best choice if focusing more on skill vs. structure is Jarmo's plan.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I agree, personally I want us to make a bold pick and not another recycled NHL coach.
Sorry CBJx614, you just happen to be collateral damage for me today. Maybe I need to get past semantics here and I understand the not wanting "another recycled NHL coach" but I am stuck on the word "bold".

I don't care whether the coach pick is bold or not...I just want it to be the right coach. Look at some of the recently "recycled coaches" having a lot of success in the league right now: Joel Q, Dave Tippett and Peter DeBoer.

Meanwhile, I would certainly say all those teams that hired NCAA coaches: Flyers, Rangers, Devils and Wings were being BOLD (yes underlined, bolded, ALL CAPS and italicized). Hard to say anyone has had any success with their hire.

Bob Boughner was hired straight out of the OHL to Florida. BOLD! And he has followed up two failed years in Florida with two failed years in San Jose.

I think Torts was a bold pick while still being a recycled coach when Jarmo and JD hired him. IOW, he was simply the right coach at the right time.

Jarmo: don't be bold, don't recycle, just be right.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
If Gallant wants to return to the NHL, which he does, and options could be limited (which they won't be but hear me out) he could maybe take a deal similar to Torts' (2 million) and return here.
Don't forget the extra income by doing the water softener commercials!

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Wasn't it a similar question last time that made Dineen say screw this I'm out of here and pull his name allowing us to end up with the glorious Scott Arniel Experience?

I vaguely recall that happening, yes. That question may work for an interview at Worthington Industries or Super Bowl week but not when hiring a coach for a professional sports team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad