Who should be the next head coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I have a feeling Fantilli is what he wanted PLD to be. I feel like they would be an instant match...
Fantilli would give it back to Torts - and Torts would love it that Fantilli was giving it back to him.
Fantilli would listen to the coaching - and drag others with him.
I don't know why I am so sold on Fantilli - but I am. I especially liked what I saw when watching live in the arena as opposed to games on tv.
Fantilli's snarl and competitiveness showed up consistently away from the puck. I know he has work to do on the defensive side of the puck - but our new veteran coach tbd with sound defensive structure (or Torts) will/could get that out of him without hampering the snarl or offensive talent.

Can't wait to meet Mr./Ms. TBD.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I'm not sure its a smart decision for anyone to take a short term contract and expect short term results with this team. You are setting yourself up to fail. The metro is insanely tough right now and he's probably right the think its going to need more than 2 years to make the playoffs in this division.

If he takes a 3 year deal and this team needs 3 or more year to truly contend, He's on the hot seat by year 3 for "not showing results" and then he gets fired. Its makes him look bad and the team is impatient and starting over again.

Also, if he thinks it is going to take a few years to make the playoffs and DW thinks we can make it next year, it is probably a relationship set up for disaster.
Your points are valid.

Just wanted to add that McLellan probably feels (knows?) that he can get a 4- or 5-year deal with another team either at the first firing this season (requiring some negotiation with LA) or he can get a similar deal next summer with no LA involvement. Maybe it isn't so much as not setting himself up to fail as it is just pure economics.
McLellan gets paid $5.5M this season, regardless of whether he coaches this season or sits out.
Sure, he's a competitor and would prefer to coach, but what economic incentive is there for McLellan to sign a shorter term deal (3 years) with CBJ if he can assuredly get 4 or 5 years elsewhere later and that 4 or 5 years doesn't start until NEXT season?
Not totally bashing CBJ if they are leery of committing to 4 or 5 years given the recent coaching history and the fact that they know they are years away from potential contender status. Maybe someone else (Evason?) is less expensive, less term and in CBJ management's opinion similarly capable as developing the kids (but just not quite to McLellan's level). If that's the view, then if Evason/other can't get them to the next level, THEN they hire the NEXT coach (McLellan's equal then) to get them over the hump, They save on annual salary and they save on future term if a change in coaching is needed.
I get it. But that doesn't mean I agree with it - hire the best person for the job and pay market price (including term) for them. Assuming McLellan is their 1st choice, then get him.

Last edited:

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I agree that Hedger has been all over the place, so I'm not taking stock in his reports.

If term is an issue, I'm fine with Waddell playing hardball and not going over 3 years. There's no other teams that they are bidding against and if I was McConnell, who has had to pay a bunch of coaches to not coach the last couple of years, I'd be telling DW that 3 year term is the max. That's plenty of time for a coach to put this team on the right track - if that happens, that coach can get his 2 year extension then.
Except that CBJ is bidding against other teams signing McLellan in the future, whether that be during this coming season or next summer.
Coaches like McLellan will command at least 4-yr term on the open market. While there are no other teams searching for a coach AT THIS MOMENT, there will be after 20 games and there will be next summer. McLellan can financially bide his time and wait for the 4 / 5 year term offer, because he already has a contract for $5.5M for this season!
Recent examples of term from various sources: Cassidy - 5 yrs; McLellan's contract w/ LA - 5 yrs; Gallant - 4 yrs; DeBoer - 4 yrs; Torts - 4 yrs; Sullivan - 4 yrs; Cooper - (4 years with unverified extensions beyond); Carberry - 4 yrs; Brunette - 4 yrs; Richardson - 4 yrs. Yes, some coaches are 3 yrs (Laviolette w/ the Rangers). It sure seems that McLellan fits the longer term/higher salary range.

Now, if McLellan is not the CLEAR first choice, then play hardball! If he's the clear first choice, get your coach.

Last edited:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I read this situation as, we really want McLellan, but we need to kick the tires on some other models to see if we can get the same thing for less money.

Reactions: EspenK

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Just wanted to add that McLellan probably feels (knows?) that he can get a 4- or 5-year deal with another team either at the first firing this season (requiring some negotiation with LA) or he can get a similar deal next summer with no LA involvement. Maybe it isn't so much as not setting himself up to fail as it is just pure economics.
McLellan gets paid $5.5M this season, regardless of whether he coaches this season or sits out.
Sure, he's a competitor and would prefer to coach, but what economic incentive is there for McLellan to sign a shorter term deal (3 years) with CBJ if he can assuredly get 4 or 5 years elsewhere later and that 4 or 5 years doesn't start until NEXT season?
Maybe I'm off base or undervalue McLellan a lot, but are there a lot of examples of coaches hired mid-season to replace somebody else getting these 4-5 year deals? I feel like those hires are either just for the current year or at most 2 years. I have no data to back this up but from what I remember of mid-season hires they're often not long-term replacements.

Other than that I agree, McLellan can easily wait this out if he doesn't get what he wants this year.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I think Mac checked a lot of the boxes they were looking for , but honestly all 3 are good coaches .. Mac has more sustained success and a longer track record , but honestly what Evason did with Minnesota and how he developed that team with major salary cap issues is remarkable.. so they will most likely circle back on Mac and use the leverage they have another guy ready to hire … if he’s not willing to budge on whatever his hold up is , they will hire Evason . Mac should not be the highest paid coach in the league , and I don’t think I would make him that offer , either .

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Yes, good luck Pascal - not an ideal situation here he was thrown into.

CBJ likely paying something, as I doubt his salary is equal to what he was getting in NHL, but at least this would lessen what CBJ are paying.
True. Forgot that we still technically have to pay something as he’s still under contract and it’s an AHL job. But at least they’re taking a chunk away from it.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
True. Forgot that we still technically have to pay something as he’s still under contract and it’s an AHL job. But at least they’re taking a chunk away from it.
PVs AHL deal is probably about $200,000 The CBJ are on the hook for the difference.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
I wonder if there's a guy out there that Waddell is trolling for and he's semi successful but just can't land him yet...It would seem if it was down to two candidates and neither was currently attached the hire would have been made. Is there a mysterious entrant or does Waddell not want rushed to make a hire? Is he unsure? Is ownership an impediment? Am I asking too many questions? :cool:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Given our propensity for making declarative statements, often with nothing on which to base them, I find questions refreshing.
Because almost every thread has been beaten to death with repetitive and often stupid, irrelevant commentary wait for the question...
When will we start the prospect ranking poll?

P.S. I note the irrelevance to the topic of this thread

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Because almost every thread has been beaten to death with repetitive and often stupid, irrelevant commentary wait for the question...
When will we start the prospect ranking poll?

P.S. I note the irrelevance to the topic of this thread
Yeah we’ve only started making unfounded statements as though they’re gospel just because we’re bored.

As to the off topic matter, we’re starting to get them ready. They usually start around July 25 or later.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
As to the off topic matter, we’re starting to get them ready. They usually start around July 25 or later.

I can’t wait to roll my eyes when someone votes that Dumais is a better prospect than Elick. Although I will probably write up something with the words “moron” and “idiot”, I will then delete it before hitting the red Post Reply button.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
This thread has now entered its second month of activity. I know there was a draft and free agency but this is kinda getting ridiculous. I was one of those people preaching patience and that there was no hurry to hire someone but this thread should have become obsolete by now.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
This thread has now entered its second month of activity. I know there was a draft and free agency but this is kinda getting ridiculous. I was one of those people preaching patience and that there was no hurry to hire someone but this thread should have become obsolete by now.
While I generally agree with the sentiment, this is perhaps a good thing IMO. We have the only opening, so we know we aren't going to lose one of our top candidates to someone else. We know we want one of McLellan, Evason, or Woodcroft. If the latter two interviewed this week and weren't immediately good enough to not want to circle back to McLellan, then I'm guessing that's what's happening. It's still 2 months until training camp, there's still plenty of time for a coach to prepare.

My hunch is that if we don't hear anything this week, we're still trying to work things out with McLellan/LA. If another week goes by and we haven't heard that he's hired, then I'm guessing we''ll hear in short order after that about one of Evason/Woodcroft getting hired. Ultimately, I think we're going to end up with Evason and that would make me happy.

Reactions: CBJx614
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad