Confirmed with Link: Patrik Laine and 2026 2nd round pick acquired from the Blue Jackets in exchange for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
You'd have to think that the Venn diagram for Laine being succesful and our PP being solid are one single circle.

I'm happy with this trade I tend to think it works out assuming he stays healthy.

Glad we have a GM that takes calculated risks on fairly young players with upside (Dach/Newhook/Laine).

Can't wait for October!!

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
I think MSL has a good success rate. Hopefully Laine fits into his reclamation project success

MSL successes:

Development projects:
Slaf
Caufield
Roy

Reclamation projects:
Monahan
Dach
Armia

MSL questionable projects
Drouin (succeeded outside)
Anderson (jury is still out)
Gally (jury is still out)

Jul 6, 2016
I definitly think he can have the type of impact that Drouin had in Denver last season. What I like the most of this trade is to provide suitable talent to Dach for him to take a significant step forward next season and if that happens it will remove pressure from Slaf, Suzuki and Caufield.
Maybe we gonna see a 1st line with

Laine-Suzuki-Slaf

and a second line with

Caufield-Dach-Armia or Newhook

??????

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Definitely wasn’t me as much as I love Harris. I am not delusional.
I bet this is how people feel when they quote me and mention Josh Brook

Laine-Suzuki-Slaf

and a second line with

??????
That's what I'd do. Except with Roy there instead of Armia.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019

Laine-Suzuki-Slaf

and a second line with

??????
I thought Caufield played well with Dach from what I remember. Maybe I don’t remember right. But can’t hurt to try.

You'd have to think that the Venn diagram for Laine being succesful and our PP being solid are one single circle.

I'm happy with this trade I tend to think it works out assuming he stays healthy.

Glad we have a GM that takes calculated risks on fairly young players with upside (Dach/Newhook/Laine).

Can't wait for October!!
I smell DA PLAYOFFS!!!!

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Slaf: 6'3" & 230 lbs
Dach: 6'4" & 216 lbs
Laine: 6'5" & 216 lbs

Hughes adding size for the Top-6.

Then you have Suzuki who is 5'11" & 212 lbs, and is also one of the iron men in the NHL right now.

And you still have Armia (6'4" & 218 lbs) and Anderson (6'3" & 220 lbs).
Hey coach l!!! What about Jason Missiaen?

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Exactly - I’m willing to bet Buf was ON his list. I can’t think of any other teams that had cap space, needing him, that he’d play for… fortunately for Habs that gave them leverage
That and there simply wasn’t any interest on taking on Laine from anywhere else. Habs basically got paid a very high second rounder to take him, at full cap, while clearing out their own logjam on defense.

Basically it comes down to what it always does - those who put themselves in the best positions are the ones who usually capitalize on the opportunities (and mistakes) that are created.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
That and there simply wasn’t any interest on taking on Laine from anywhere else. Habs basically got paid a very high second rounder to take him, at full cap, while clearing out their own logjam on defense.

Basically it comes down to what it always does - those who put themselves in the best positions are the ones who usually capitalize on the opportunities (and mistakes) that are created.

The very high second is a great point. It shouldn't be far from a late first.

It is also a great curtosy to Harris who will have ample ice time. As you said, there are many layers to this deal that makes it make sense.
It's feeling to have Ilya Kovalchuk at 26 years old. (He have same skillset of Kovalchuk when healthy, same scoring machine).

I'm never been so hype for a trade haha!

They don't have the same skillset. Kovalchuk was a horse at 26. 6'2" 235lbs of fast skating high octane beast that would be a one man breakout machine with his skating. Laine is different, but he's extremely talented as well.

Last edited:

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
So its been around 36 hours since this trade was announced. I've had the busiest past 24 hours with work and life and the entire time this Laine trade has lived in the back of my mind.

I still can't believe KH pulled off such a coup, it's insane.

I'm unable to tell if I'm falling victim to the hype train because of all of you guys or if we are actually on the path to being a wagon of a team. I think it's the latter, but you guys are hyping me up so hard. I think Laine is gonna have a monster year.

At this point when I look at this team I see a sure playoff team, no doubt. Yes I am assuming a healthy year, sue me. We're owed one of those after a ridiculous run of bad luck.

So much for a top 10 pick, we going to the playoffs boys, plan accordingly.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I honestly think Habs has something really special going on. A team loaded with young talent, lots of pics and prospects + a VERY nice paystructure. If all goes well, Habs are in the playoffs and Laine pots 40+ goals. The team will only get better next year and if PL continue to play well and feel comfortable on the team, I`m positive he`ll take a paycut to stay in Montreal. Suzuki is the best paid forward, so he sets the bar. I could see Laine taking around 7M longterm and that is because he has been on 2 teams he wasnt comfortable beeing, he lives to win and Montreal is on the rise and will contend in a few years. If Laine feels at home, I`m 100% that the money isnt the issue here. He doesnt drink and party, he`s had mental issues and that probably means he wants to be in a place he likes. Money isnt everything - Mental health and good surroundings win every time...

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think MSL has a good success rate. Hopefully Laine fits into his reclamation project success

MSL successes:

Development projects:
Slaf
Caufield
Roy

Reclamation projects:
Monahan
Dach
Armia

MSL questionable projects
Drouin (succeeded outside)
Anderson (jury is still out)
Gally (jury is still out)
He's going to have to play a system in playoffs though. Especially where he has another guy who's bad defensively. It's a lot easier letting them go.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I also think the prescence of Armia will help:

"– Tosi hyvillä mielin otin vasaan uutisen kaupasta. On tosi hienoa saada Pate taas joukkuekaveriksi. Hän on huippupelaaja ja huipputyyppi, Laineen kanssa kahden kauden ajan Winnipegissä pelannut Montreal-hyökkääjä Joel Armia naurahtaa.

Armialla on vahva usko Laineen paluuseen huipputasolle.

– On tietenkin tosi harmi, että hänellä on ollut loukkaantumisia ja muita ikävämpiä asioita elämässä, mutta uskon hänen pystyvän palaamaan hyvälle tasolle auttamaan tätä joukkuetta. Eiköhän jokainen tiedä hänen vahvuutensa ja sen, miten hyvästä pelaajasta on kyse, Armia jatkaa."

I was very pleased when got the news of the trade. It will be great to have Laine as a teammate again. He is a really good guy and a top-player, says Armia, who played 2 seasons with Laine in Winnipeg

Armia believes that Laine will make a comeback to superstar-level.

-It`s a shame that Laine had problems with health and mental-health, but I believe he is now in shape and will help our team to the next level. Everyone knows his strenghts and what kind of super-player he is, Armia says

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Wonder if Marc Bergevin can look at what Kent Hughes has done in his short time here with the mess of a roster he left him behind with a little humility and say “you know what, maybe I’m not very good at this team building thing?”

Man I’m glad he’s gone. Him and Michel Therrien made me completely disinterested in this club, going from 82 games a year, to 50, to 30, to I’ll check out opening night. Now my optimism and fandom is back in full swing. I am pumped for the season. Even if the team can’t make the push into the playoffs yet there is so much exciting youth being injected into the team. Let’s f***ing go! It’s nice to be Habs fan again.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Wonder if Marc Bergevin can look at what Kent Hughes has done in his short time here with the mess of a roster he left him behind with a little humility and say “you know what, maybe I’m not very good at this team building thing?”

Man I’m glad he’s gone. Him and Michel Therrien made me completely disinterested in this club, going from 82 games a year, to 50, to 30, to I’ll check out opening night. Now my optimism and fandom is back in full swing. I am pumped for the season. Even if the team can’t make the push into the playoffs yet there is so much exciting youth being injected into the team. Let’s f***ing go! It’s nice to be Habs fan again.
GM is not a job for everyone. Reports out of LA suggest he is nailing his new job of coffee and doughnut fetcher though, I am happy for his success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad