Predict The Pacific Standings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
I have read a few posts from neutral fans and some flame fans thinking they might be a playoff team. The Flames have said straight up they are not rebuilding.
Yes, Craig Conroy said we aren’t rebuilding and then traded Jacob Markstrom less than a week later. Murray Edwards refuses to do a scorched earth rebuild. The Flames can’t really go scorched earth anyway, nobody is taking that Huberdeau contract. This is a “re-tool” or whatever

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I have read a few posts from neutral fans and some flame fans thinking they might be a playoff team. The Flames have said straight up they are not rebuilding.
in the last 14 months the Flames have traded Toffoli, Zadorov. Lindholm. Tanev, Hanifin, Markstrom and Mangiapane, while adding prospects, picks, younger NHLers and their high profile UFA adds of Mantha & Bean.

Actions speak louder than words, it's arebuild.

The ownership just hates the word rebuild because it's associated with going scorched earth.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
in the last 14 months the Flames have traded Toffoli, Zadorov. Lindholm. Tanev, Hanifin, Markstrom and Mangiapane, while adding prospects, picks, younger NHLers and their high profile UFA adds of Mantha & Bean.

Actions speak louder than words, it's arebuild.

The ownership just hates the word rebuild because it's associated with going scorched earth.

It's not a rebuild. They recognized they would lose their UFAs and sold them knowing they wouldn't make the playoffs. Markstrom was a case of they knew they had Wolf coming and they were getting good interest.

They kept Kadri, Huberdeau, Backlund, Andersson, Weegar. That's basically the core of the team untouched. A rebuild would be them selling a few of these guys.

• Haha
Reactions: blueandgoldguy

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Edmonton
Vancouver
Vegas - there might be some fall off, but the rest of the division is still pretty weak, so I will keep them in third.
Seattle
Kings - I think they fall back more this season
Anaheim - they have the talent to step up a bit, if they get the coaching and consistency, they will show some improvement. Not a playoff team yet.
Calgary - they're trying to rebuild, but they always seem to over-perform when they are down, so I could see them surprise a bit and be higher, but on paper, they look...rough.
Sharks - a good future is coming, but Cellebrini isn't enough to pull them from the basement yet.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
It's not a rebuild. They recognized they would lose their UFAs and sold them knowing they wouldn't make the playoffs. Markstrom was a case of they knew they had Wolf coming and they were getting good interest.

They kept Kadri, Huberdeau, Backlund, Andersson, Weegar. That's basically the core of the team untouched. A rebuild would be them selling few of these guys.

Who cares what you or anyone else wants to "call" it. Look at the actions and results.

Craig Conroy made 11 trades during his first calendar year as a GM, all of which emphasized adding youth and draft capital to the organization. It's not his fault he was burdened with having to deal with a metric ton of expiring UFA's in a short amount of time which I am sure you can understand take far more precedence over players with term remaining.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

They kept Kadri, Huberdeau, Backlund, Andersson, Weegar. That's basically the core of the team untouched. A rebuild would be them selling a few of these guys.
It's a rebuild. Any successful rebuild also has some good veterans, so they weren't going to trade Kadri unless he asked for it. Huberdeau is untradeable. Backlund has a no movement clause, and more value as a mentor to the young guys than as a trade piece given his NMC. Weegar is signed long term and was their best player last year. Andersson is the only other top 4 defenseman they have. Rebuilding teams need to keep some good players around to insulate the young guys. The fact is that Conroy has admitted they are rebuilding, even if he is reluctant to use the term rebuild. They aren't intending to compete for the playoffs this year, you can see that by their roster.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I’d love to see last years projections.
I think any of Vegas, Vancouver and Edmonton are capable of winning the Division. I think Annaheim may still be another year away but it wouldn’t shock me if they move up more this year than expected.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Yes, Craig Conroy said we aren’t rebuilding and then traded Jacob Markstrom less than a week later. Murray Edwards refuses to do a scorched earth rebuild. The Flames can’t really go scorched earth anyway, nobody is taking that Huberdeau contract. This is a “re-tool” or whatever
That D core looks pretty crispy. I would say its fair to call that roster scorched.

Reactions: PuckG

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Calgary is 100% going through a rebuild, what they aren't doing is tanking. People just sometimes use rebuild and tanking interchangeably.

Our defense is going to go through some struggles this year. I'd love if Bahl and Miromanov were instantly 2nd pairing guys but to hit twice on that with no hiccups seems like a long shot.

I think by january they get on a bit of a role, only to then trade away three forwards and struggle the rest of the way. The teams not bad but there isn't enough talent to steal games.

Anyone needs a winger though, call us.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
For those who are optimistic about L.A. next season, I'm wondering... er, why? It's not that I dislike the club or anything, but I just don't see them improving at this point. But am I wrong? What's the cause for some people picking them to finish 2nd?
I think also they might be able to beat up teams in their own division. Vancouver and edm will be at the top, Vegas got much worse and then everyone else just plain sucks. Lol

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Calgary is 100% going through a rebuild, what they aren't doing is tanking. People just sometimes use rebuild and tanking interchangeably.

Our defense is going to go through some struggles this year. I'd love if Bahl and Miromanov were instantly 2nd pairing guys but to hit twice on that with no hiccups seems like a long shot.

I think by january they get on a bit of a role, only to then trade away three forwards and struggle the rest of the way. The teams not bad but there isn't enough talent to steal games.

Yeah I dunno. Looks like a bottom 5 roster in the NHL. The team has $20 million in cap space they neglected to spend any of. Sure looks like a tank job from here.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

It’s the dreaded re-tool rebuild. Keep enough talent to not get a good lottery pick but to keep asses in the arena seats

Reactions: Trojans86

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
It’s the dreaded re-tool rebuild. Keep enough talent to not get a good lottery pick but to keep asses in the arena seats

If it was guaranteed to work they'd suck up a couple years of low sales. Think they are more worried about becoming the next Buffalo. Or you tank for years and all you got to show for it is Larkin like Detroit.

Need to be in the bottom 10 this year for that stupid Montreal trade, hopefully get another 1st at the TDL. I honestly wouldn't be opposed to taking 3 centers and praying one of them hits. If we had a young 1C or even someone with the potential I don't think they rebuild at all.

After that I think they start trying to be competitive. No all in moves, no overpaid free agents, if someone is on an expiring contract and won't re-sign you trade them. They should still keep that mindset but they should also start actively making the team better. If our 2nd pairing sucks this year, I want them to fix it next summer.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
There’s not much more tanking they can do. They’ve got the most cap space in the league. They’ve got two unproven goalies. They’ve got two legit top-4 Dmen.

They should be a bottom-5 team.

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin

We need to tank to ensure bottom 10 and Montreal receiving Florida's pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad