Predict The Pacific Standings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
We all know they wanted to get rid of Ceci, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Again, I didn't say that Ceci was good, I said the Oilers needed to add stability and they added more question marks instead. The question is, did the Oilers improve on defence? I have a hard time believing the answer is yes, even though Ceci was bad.
And they did add stability, by subtracting Ceci.

Just because you have the same person in a set position does not mean that position is stable. Ceci was the definition of defensive chaos and the antithesis of stability.

I'll admit Ceci was not a question mark, everyone knew what he brought, problem is what he brought was trash. I'll take the unknown of Emberson who has the potential to be an upgrade over Ceci, and although Ceci was a known quantity, that quantity was awful.

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
We all know they wanted to get rid of Ceci, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Again, I didn't say that Ceci was good, I said the Oilers needed to add stability and they added more question marks instead. The question is, did the Oilers improve on defence? I have a hard time believing the answer is yes, even though Ceci was bad.
Yeah, you're sort of overlooking the key factor here, which is that Ceci was usually partnered with Nurse. Has he been partnered with Ekholm, those numbers would be 10 points higher.

You'll note that every Oilers' D whom they tried with Nurse suddenly looked worse with Nurse.

Ceci is a good NHL defenceman and did a great job with Edmonton. He's going to have some long nights with San Jose next year, but he'll also help settle that D-score. Good luck to Cody Ceci!
here is the splits 5on5 over last 2 years for nurse and ceci. feel free to keep talking about how much of a loss he is

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-26 115606.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-26 115606.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 3

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They still didnt finish 1st in pacific last year so its a moot point. I think defensive depth is crucial in the regular season

Mainly because of the poor start. Under Knoblaugh they were the no.1 team in the league from November 12 onwards (the day he was hired), so basically for like the last 84% of the season they were the no.1 team. Not just no.1 in the Pacific, no.1 in the entire league.

So, unless the coaching staff has changed ...

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
here is the splits 5on5 over last 2 years for nurse and ceci. feel free to keep talking about how much of a loss he is

Hmmm. Interesting, yeah it does look like Ceci made Nurse worse and not so much vice versa.

Last edited:

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Hmmm. Interesting, yeah it does look like Ceci made Nurse worse.

Well that's because those two have almost exclusively played together the last two years, and when they were apart Ceci played with Kulak most commonly, and Nurse played with Bouchard. So unless the Oilers plan on splitting their top pairing, I wouldn't expect Nurses numbers to drastically change for the better as the post above would suggest.

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
Well that's because those two have almost exclusively played together the last two years, and when they were apart Ceci played with Kulak most commonly, and Nurse played with Bouchard. So unless the Oilers plan on splitting their top pairing, I wouldn't expect Nurses numbers to drastically change for the better as the post above would suggest.
this year at 5on5:

Nurse played 992min with ceci, 181 with desharnais and 82 min with bouchard, 72 minutes with ekholm, 44 with kulak

ceci played 992 min with nurse, 212min with kulak, 48 minutes with boucahrd, 34 minutes with ekholm
--------
ceci catered everyones numbers except bouchards.
everyones numbers pretty similar with or without nurse besides desharnais whos numbers dropped with nurse, but imo thats more about desharnais not being able to handle more than 3rd pair minutes

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-26 154228.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-26 154228.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad