Predict The Pacific Standings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The Flames aren’t tanking per se but they’re embracing a rebuild. Other than Toffoli and Zadorov, Conroy made a conscious effort to keep all of our UFAs.

The decision to change the team philosophy happened when Lindholm rejected a 9x8 last August and we started 2-7-1. Then it was solidified when Hanifin refused all of Conroy’s extension offers up to the TDL.

Make no mistake though, this team is picking top 5, even top 3 if they sell everyone that’s expected to be on the move this season

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The Flames aren’t tanking per se but they’re embracing a rebuild. Other than Toffoli and Zadorov, Conroy made a conscious effort to keep all of our UFAs.

The decision to change the team philosophy happened when Lindholm rejected a 9x8 last August and we started 2-7-1. Then it was solidified when Hanifin refused all of Conroy’s extension offers up to the TDL.

Make no mistake though, this team is picking top 5, even top 3 if they sell everyone that’s expected to be on the move this season
Any idea on the plan with Rasmus is? Keep him around, offload now to get the most value and such?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Sounds a lot like tanking tbh.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Any idea on the plan with Rasmus is? Keep him around, offload now to get the most value and such?
If he wants to stay, they’ll extend him. The org loves him.

There are RHD prospects on the way (Parekh, Brzustewicz) but there’s no way to know if they’ll hit and make Andersson surplus. And he’s one of the established voices in the room. Don’t think there’s any plan to push him out.
Sounds a lot like tanking tbh.
Not really when the decision was made for Conroy and they didn’t want to stay. Even Backlund was ready for a trade until Iginla told him to stay

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
After losing Ceci and Broberg I can't understand how people are still picking the Oilers to finish 1st in the Pacific.
This is not the defence of a 1st place team..
Screenshot_2024-08-24-20-13-47-284.jpg

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I haven't followed Vegas offseason.. feel like they are the fav for the Pacific. I think San Jose and Anaheim will both be competitive.

2 years ago I thought la would be top tier. Not sure it is going that well.

Nucks had a great season... Curious how it goes. Heard Demko is already hurt... And I'm a huge patera fan!

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Edmonton
Vegas
Vancouver
Los Angeles
Seattle
Calgary
San Jose
Anaheim
Wow the Ducks last eh?

I actually came back to this thread to say that they are my wildcard team this year, just a ton of young talent there and alot of players will be better than alst year.

I'm also not sure what to make of Seattle, they could push for top 3 in the division or totally sputter along like last year.

Calgary just looks like a hot mess to me but probably not going to be bad enough to land a Hagens or McKenna to lead them out of the wilderness.

I really like what San jose is doing but it's too early and might take them 2+ years as I think they are 2 years behind the Ducks.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
After losing Ceci and Broberg I can't understand how people are still picking the Oilers to finish 1st in the Pacific.
View attachment 903056
Well, tbf, someone like Broberg wasn't really a key part of that defense during the regular season last year and Oilers finished 2nd in the division. They were the best team in the 2nd half of the season. Vast majority of the teams in the Pacific division have depth issues on defense beside Vegas. Seattle's D is good, but doesn't have anyone the caliber of Ekholm or Bouchard.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
In Playoffs
1. Vegas
2. Edmonton
3. Vancouver

Out of Playoffs but in WC race
4. Seattle
5. Los Angeles

Bottom of League
6. Anaheim
7. Calgary
8. San Jose
This is exactly how I see it

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Well, tbf, someone like Broberg wasn't really a key part of that defense during the regular season last year and Oilers finished 2nd in the division. They were the best team in the 2nd half of the season. Vast majority of the teams in the Pacific division have depth issues on defense beside Vegas. Seattle's D is good, but doesn't have anyone the caliber of Ekholm or Bouchard.
Even though some people like to complain about Ceci, he was still a big part of that 2nd pairing. With him gone, Broberg became your next best option there. Now he's gone too and frankly what's left doesn't exactly inspire confidence. This is not a depth issue. This is a top 4 pairing issue.... a whole 2nd pair issue... particularly when Nurse is part of that 2nd pair. Depth issues are who you have to work with as your 5, 6, 7, and 8th dmen.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Even though some people like to complain about Ceci, he was still a big part of that 2nd pairing. With him gone, Broberg became your next best option there. Now he's gone too and frankly what's left doesn't exactly inspire confidence. This is not a depth issue. This is a top 4 pairing issue.... a whole 2nd pair issue... particularly when Nurse is part of that 2nd pair. Depth issues are who you have to work with as your 5, 6, 7, and 8th dmen.
Oil fan and I tend to agree. Soft of. I don't think we've had 4 legit top 4 D at the same time since 2016 (healthy Sekeea, klef, Larsson and nurse I believe was the top 4?). Ceci worked very hard and was miscast but he's a third pair guy on a cup winner. We seem to always have a gap in top 4 and a plethora of 5/6 guys.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
View attachment 903056
Top 3 is the exact same as is 1/2 the bottom pair

Oil fan and I tend to agree. Soft of. I don't think we've had 4 legit top 4 D at the same time since 2016 (healthy Sekeea, klef, Larsson and nurse I believe was the top 4?). Ceci worked very hard and was miscast but he's a third pair guy on a cup winner. We seem to always have a gap in top 4 and a plethora of 5/6 guys.
Nurse in 2016 was not top 4. Kris Russell was.

Reactions: Czechboy

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
View attachment 903056
You must think very highly of Ceci, and Desharnais. Broberg played 12 regular season games, but otherwise the only difference between this year's defense, and last year, are 2RD, and 3RD.

Compare that, to our absolutely absurd offense:

Nuge - McD - Hyman
Skinner - Drai - Arvidsson
Janmark - Henrique - Brown
Podkolzin - Ryan - Perry

I'm not sure how you think the Oilers are going to be worse than last year. The offense is significantly better, as Skinner, Arvidsson, and Henrique > Foegele, McLeod, and Holloway, by a lot.

Prediction:

EDM
VAN
VGK
LAK
SEA
CGY
ANA
SJS

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
You must think very highly of Ceci, and Desharnais. Broberg played 12 regular season games, but otherwise the only difference between this year's defense, and last year, are 2RD, and 3RD.

Compare that, to our absolutely absurd offense:

Nuge - McD - Hyman
Skinner - Drai - Arvidsson
Janmark - Henrique - Brown
Podkolzin - Ryan - Perry

I'm not sure how you think the Oilers are going to be worse than last year. The offense is significantly better, as Skinner, Arvidsson, and Henrique > Foegele, McLeod, and Holloway, by a lot.

Prediction:

EDM
VAN
VGK
LAK
SEA
CGY
ANA
SJS
Honestly I think Ceci is a 4/5 dman... but he was the best you had in that position. Broberg was your next best player and he's gone too. I'm not impressed with what's left. At the very most, they are unknown quantities to play on the 2nd pair RD.

Skinner is a gamble. There's a good reason why he's only being paid $3m for 1 yr. Nobody knows what you are going to get. As for Arvidson, he's a walking medical/injury dictionary. The guy, over the past 6 years has missed a ton of games because of various injuries. He is also 31 now, on the downside of his career... it's not going to get better.

Frankly, with a very old Oilers team, I think you are being overly optimistic. Oldest team in the league? I think injuries are going to bite the team in the ass... Bet on it.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
View attachment 903056
Broberg played in the AHL most of last season and Ceci is a #5 forced to play as a #4 for us. I don’t think the drop off is as steep because of it and that’s not considering any additions they may make in-season.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Honestly I think Ceci is a 4/5 dman... but he was the best you had in that position. Broberg was your next best player and he's gone too. I'm not impressed with what's left. At the very most, they are unknown quantities to play on the 2nd pair RD.

Skinner is a gamble. There's a good reason why he's only being paid $3m for 1 yr. Nobody knows what you are going to get. As for Arvidson, he's a walking medical/injury dictionary. The guy, over the past 6 years has missed a ton of games because of various injuries. He is also 31 now, on the downside of his career... it's not going to get better.

Frankly, with a very old Oilers team, I think you are being overly optimistic. Oldest team in the league? I think injuries are going to bite the team in the ass... Bet on it.
Ceci had the third most minutes on D in the crucial game 7 behind only Eckholm and Bouchard and well ahead of Nurse. He’s not a world beater and should probably be a bottom pairing guy on a strong defensive team but he was very important to the Oilers success last year and judging by his minutes Knob gave him the coaching staff agreed.

Last edited:

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
1. Edmonton - It's a gamble cause they love finishing 2nd every year
2. Vegas - Still a formidable team, despite the losses
3. Vancouver - A small step back and with Demko out early on, not good news
4. Seattle - always a surprise team makes the playoffs

5. LA - Lost too much, goaltending an issue
6. Calgary - trying to tank but still some decent pieces keep them at .500
7. Anaheim - still not enough to compete, too young
8. SJ - still re-building

• Haha
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Ceci had the third most minutes on D in the crucial game 7 behind only Eckholm and Bouchard and well ahead of Nurse. He’s not a world beater and should probably be a bottom pairing guy on a strong defensive team but he was very important to the Oilers success last year and judging by his minutes Knob gave him the coaching staff agreed.
and there it is...Ceci is awesome again, like clockwork :laugh:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
and there it is...Ceci is awesome again, like clockwork :laugh:
Definitely not awesome. But it is a fact that your coach played him the third most in the crucial game 7. Ahead of the $9.25 million Nurse. Maybe call out your coach if you don’t agree?
But it is funny reading how Broberg is now a bust after seeing so many of you plug him into this seasons top 4. So predictable! 😆

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad