Who is the best Goalie Prospect in Hockey?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Best Goalie Prospect in Hockey?

• Yaroslav Askarov (NSH)

• Devon Levi (BUF)

• Jesper Wallstedt (MIN)

• Dustin Wolf (CGY)

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
And its not like Wolf is incapable of athletic stops either, its just not part of his profile bc he doesn't need to pull it out that often due to his superior positioning.

As a goalie, if you're not incredibly big or an elite athlete, you won't stick around for long in the NHL. Especially for a smaller guy, mobility is everything. The smaller guy's problem is that the bigger guys of today are just as mobile as them. That movement really started with Vasilevskiy and we see it now with all those big athletic kids getting drafted and breaking into the league.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Was there such thing as a ”weeb” in the early 2000’s when he was born?
Of course. Schmid's parents are Swiss. From what I know, there's nothing Japanese about Schmid except his name. He doesn't exactly look Japanese either.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I root on Wallstedt but right now it is Wolf/askarov. Wallstedt self said is was a big step in way of living and playingstyle. Even ice surfice. Those are things u cant measure in stats. Next year i hope to see a big approvment in his stats and play.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Yeah i was just astounded by Askarov's it factor at the World Juniors.

He's talented, but so is Samsonov. I want to see some ability to dominate and he's just not showing it.

Yeah, compare Askarov to Shesterkin who came to a not very good AHL team and still showed the best numbers in the league. So I kind of agree with you. On the other hand Shesterkin was a few years older.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Dustin Wolf is about to be named the best goalie in whatever league he’s played in for his 4th consecutive season. The last time someone has looked at him and thought “Hmm I actually think another goalie might be a better than him”, he was draft eligible. Since he set foot on the ice in the WHL at the age of 16 until today, the worst save percentage he’s had over a full season is .924

I'm surprised he's not the top ranked in this poll.
He looks a complete stud.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Yeah, again you're comparing stats like apples and oranges and it doesn't make sense. I told you already I can't say anything bad about Wolf except that he's too small. His numbers and consistency are amazing but it's important to see it in perspective and even as a Calgary fan you have to accept and understand the circumstances. They were mentioned by others and me in this thread and I can't repeat all of this again and again everytime you post your stats.

While I can't say anything bad about Wolf I also have to tell you that he does nothing better than Wallstedt except being a more active, better puck mover. Wallstedt has at least (in my view better) technique and mobility. Unlike with Askarov there are no red flags, no flaws in his game. We all don't know how he's gonna work out in the NHL but right now he gives us little reasons for doubts. Askarov has the same upside and maybe even more because he's a righty. Much like Wolf he's also a better puck handler/mover than Wallstedt is but until he gets the rest of his game together he's not gonna overtake Wallstedt as the top goalie prospect in my book. I can't say anything bad about Wolf or Levi except that you can't teach size. That's their problem. They can still play NHL but since today's big guys are such athletes, they're always gonna have higher upside. That's just how it is.

Again, my belief is that 6'0 goalies can still play in the NHL, possibly even as a starter. However, you can't play like Andrei Vasilevskiy if you're 6'0. That's just not doable. As the big guys become such athletes, it really is tough for the smaller guys and they're gonna get figured out more quickly as well.

The only good point in your post is that Wallstedt hasn't played lots of games per season which is something he'll have to leaen and get used to if he wants to be a starter in the NHL but again...goalies are voodoo anyway.
That Vasilevskiy take is quite hilarious considering I’d say the only other goalie in the league who seems to be able to rival his absolute year over year dominance that he has shown is… 5’11” Saros. Shesterkin is looking like he has the potential for that same year over year brilliance at 6’1”. Sorokin at 6’3” I’d add to that group as well. After that it gets murkier, plenty of other goalies show potential for Vezina caliber seasons but then fade the year after.

It’s generally okay to be biased against smaller goalies, there path to being elite is a lot more challenging. What you shouldn’t do is dismiss players who are already playing at elite levels because of their size. Shooters in the AHL have found it a lot easier to score on Wallstedt than they ever have on Wolf so far, and it’s not because nobody has told them yet Wolf is only 6’0”. So you may have to start asking yourself why is that, because Wallstedt today is the same age Wolf was at the start of his first season.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
That Vasilevskiy take is quite hilarious considering I’d say the only other goalie in the league who seems to be able to rival his absolute year over year dominance that he has shown is… 5’11” Saros. Shesterkin is looking like he has the potential for that same year over year brilliance at 6’1”. Sorokin at 6’3” I’d add to that group as well. After that it gets murkier, plenty of other goalies show potential for Vezina caliber seasons but then fade the year after.

It’s generally okay to be biased against smaller goalies, there path to being elite is a lot more challenging. What you shouldn’t do is dismiss players who are already playing at elite levels because of their size. Shooters in the AHL have found it a lot easier to score on Wallstedt than they ever have on Wolf so far, and it’s not because nobody has told them yet Wolf is only 6’0”. So you may have to start asking yourself why is that, because Wallstedt today is the same age Wolf was at the start of his first season.
We discussed that already. It's a lot easier to backstop a completely overpowered team than a poor or middle of the pack team. If you read the list I posted about who joined the team with Wolf then you have to agree with me that we're talking about a whole new quality defense group plus a shitload of offensive firepower thanks to Zary and Pelletier. While Wolf's consistency is still amazing, it's much easier to execute when adversity is trending towards zero because your team is mostly winning and so much better than the opponents that many games aren't even competitive anymore. It's not Wolf's fault he played for good to overpowered teams only but from a neutral standpoint (I'm Swiss) I'd like to see a smallish goalie respond to adversity before naming him a better goalie prospect than friggen Jesper Wallstedt who's the complete package, has everything you wish for when looking at goalie prospect. That should be understandable even for a diehard Calgary fan. If not then I can't help you. Btw, I'm not quite alone on this one. It's not like I'm telling you something completely crazy I'vd just made up. Still, nobody knows how this is gonna shake out. As I told you I've got nothing bad to say about Wolf and it's completely possible he's gonna be the best goalie of this poll. For now you have to live the fact that he's not the one with the highest upside and he's also not the one I, and the majority on this board, like the most. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.

Last edited:

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
We discussed that already. It's a lot easier to backstop a completely overpowered team than a poor or middle of the pack team. If you read the list I posted about who joined the team with Wolf then you have to agree with me that we're talking about a whole new quality defense group plus a shitload of offensive firepower thanks to Zary and Pelletier. While Wolf's consistency is still amazing, it's much easier to execute when adversity is trending towards zero because your team is mostly winning and so much better than the opponents that many games aren't even competitive anymore. It's not Wolf's fault he played for good to overpowered teams only but from a neutral standpoint (I'm Swiss) I'd like to see a smallish goalie respond to adversity before naming him a better goalie prospect than friggen Jesper Wallstedt who's the complete package, has everything you wish for when looking at goalie prospect. That should be understandable even for a diehard Calgary fan. If not then I can't help you. Btw, I'm not quite alone on this one. It's not like I'm telling you something completely crazy I'vd just made up. Still, nobody knows how this is gonna shake out. As I told you I've got nothing bad to say about Wolf and it's completely possible he's gonna be the best goalie of this poll. For now you have to live the fact that he's not the one with the highest upside and he's also not the one I, and the majority on this board, like the most. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.
I don't think any Flames fan would be too updet with someone choosing Askarov/Wally, but its the reasons you're giving that sound like BS. Saying he has a small pro sample size is BS. Saying he is a product of great teams is also BS, when as pointed out many times, the other goalies in the system have played like crap behind those great teams.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
We discussed it, and you hand waved away anything that was detrimental to argument. During Wolf’s pro career, his team has more losses than wins when he doesn’t start. During Wallstedt’s pro career, his team has a better winning percentage when he doesn’t start. Wolf actually faces shots at higher rates this year than Wallstedt does. We have the likes of Jeremie Poirier roaming our own zone, who while he has made big improvements, was heralded for his “defensive play” or lack thereof. Always remember that goalies win coaches the Jack Adams. You argue that Wolf owes his success to playing on a powerhouse while I think it’s more fair to say the Wranglers owe being a powerhouse to Dustin Wolf. That team has lost plenty more firepower than it’s gained season over season (Gawdin, Freose, Philp, Pelletier, Ruzicka, even Phillips for a stretch), yet keeps rolling nonetheless.

You look at things you believe your goalie can build off of and I’m a believer in results. Wolf just piles up records and awards everywhere he goes. He isn’t the first goalie ever to play on good teams, yet he still is about to be the first goalie to win consecutive AHL goalie of the year awards, 4 consecutive goalie of the year awards, has the best career GAA in WHL history, second best career save percentage, and 3rd most shutouts despite playing less games.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don't think any Flames fan would be too updet with someone choosing Askarov/Wally, but its the reasons you're giving that sound like BS. Saying he has a small pro sample size is BS. Saying he is a product of great teams is also BS, when as pointed out many times, the other goalies in the system have played like crap behind those great teams.
At this point they all have a small sample size but other goalies just have higher upside. You wanna hype Wolf based on consistency but nobody wanted to hype Wallstedt based on consistency or track record. At least not that I read it.

The second part of your post doesn't make any sense unless you can provide background regarding usage of those goalies. If you only get back end of back to back's or only away games vs strong opponents then of course you're numbers are gonna suffer. It's also possible some of those goalies just simply suck. How many of them have NHL upside? I can't think of one. Maybe that's why.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
We discussed it, and you hand waved away anything that was detrimental to argument. During Wolf’s pro career, his team has more losses than wins when he doesn’t start. During Wallstedt’s pro career, his team has a better winning percentage when he doesn’t start. Wolf actually faces shots at higher rates this year than Wallstedt does. We have the likes of Jeremie Poirier roaming our own zone, who while he has made big improvements, was heralded for his “defensive play” or lack thereof. Always remember that goalies win coaches the Jack Adams. You argue that Wolf owes his success to playing on a powerhouse while I think it’s more fair to say the Wranglers owe being a powerhouse to Dustin Wolf. That team has lost plenty more firepower than it’s gained season over season (Gawdin, Freose, Philp, Pelletier, Ruzicka, even Phillips for a stretch), yet keeps rolling nonetheless.

You look at things you believe your goalie can build off of and I’m a believer in results. Wolf just piles up records and awards everywhere he goes. He isn’t the first goalie ever to play on good teams, yet he still is about to be the first goalie to win consecutive AHL goalie of the year awards, 4 consecutive goalie of the year awards, has the best career GAA in WHL history, second best career save percentage, and 3rd most shutouts despite playing less games.
You're not gonna convince me (and probably not many others) by just repeating the same things over and over again so we'll just leave it at that. There's no point debating this any further. Nobody here had anything bad to say about Wolf and nobody can say for sure he's not gonna be the best goalie of this poll. Wallstedt is still winning the poll because he's got higher upside. You can disagree but you gotta deal with it. I'll be happy to discuss this further with you once we know more but for now there's probably no point.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
At this point they all have a small sample size but other goalies just have higher upside. You wanna hype Wolf based on consistency but nobody wanted to hype Wallstedt based on consistency or track record. At least not that I read it.

The second part of your post doesn't make any sense unless you can provide background regarding usage of those goalies. If you only get back end of back to back's or only away games vs strong opponents then of course you're numbers are gonna suffer. It's also possible some of those goalies just simply suck. How many of them have NHL upside? I can't think of one. Maybe that's why.
Pretty much guarantee you’ve never seen him play

Reactions: person5000

Esko

Sep 23, 2015
What I find most interesting about this debate is if Dustin Wolf's game will be as dominant at the NHL level due to his size. I think Wolf's resume is the most impressive of the lot, since he's been the most dominant at the AHL level and for longer stretch of games. Hypothetically though, if you were to draft one of Wolf, Wallstedt or Askarov today, would you lean towards Wolf's production at the AHL level or would you side with one of Wallstedt/Askarov who have been good at the AHL level, but also have the prototypical NHL goalie size?

The NHL has been dominated by goalies who are 6'2+ who also have the athleticism to compliment their size. Dustin Wolf's lateral movement is so impressive to watch, there is just no way that he won't be a good goalie at the NHL level but I think it is a very interesting debate to try and project who be more impactful at the NHL level.

Just a quick list of the size of some of the top goalies in the league:

Vasilevski 6'4
Ullmark 6'5
Oettinger 6'5
Sorokin 6'3
Shesterkin 6'1
Saros 5'11
Thompson 6'4
Swayman 6'2

Average Height/Weight of NHL Goalies

It's no secret that playing goalie in the NHL is a big man's game. Wolf seems to be a lock to be Saros 2.0 but I don't think his lack of prototypical NHL size can be ignored.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
What I find most interesting about this debate is if Dustin Wolf's game will be as dominant at the NHL level due to his size. I think Wolf's resume is the most impressive of the lot, since he's been the most dominant at the AHL level and for longer stretch of games. Hypothetically though, if you were to draft one of Wolf, Wallstedt or Askarov today, would you lean towards Wolf's production at the AHL level or would you side with one of Wallstedt/Askarov who have been good at the AHL level, but also have the prototypical NHL goalie size?

The NHL has been dominated by goalies who are 6'2+ who also have the athleticism to compliment their size. Dustin Wolf's lateral movement is so impressive to watch, there is just no way that he won't be a good goalie at the NHL level but I think it is a very interesting debate to try and project who be more impactful at the NHL level.

Vasilevski 6'4
Ullmark 6'5
Oettinger 6'5
Sorokin 6'3
Shesterkin 6'1
Saros 5'11
Thompson 6'4
Swayman 6'2

It's no secret that playing goalie in the NHL is a big man's game. Wolf seems to be a lock to be Saros 2.0 but I don't think his lack of prototypical NHL size can be ignored.
There's no such thing as locks when talking about goalie prospects. You can maybe talk about a lock once a goalie played two steller seasons as a starter but even then you can't be sure. Korpisalo has been underwhelming for years and all of a sudden he put it all together. On the other side, Binnington won a cup (and was almost unbeatable) but has only gotten worse ever since to a point where he now has zero business playing NHL.

So no, none of these goalies are locks for anything.

Kielbasa

Mar 28, 2023

Vasilevski 6'4
Ullmark 6'5
Oettinger 6'5
Sorokin 6'3
Shesterkin 6'1
Saros 5'11
Thompson 6'4
Swayman 6'2

Its kinda crazy that Shesterkin avoids this conversation being a single inch taller. Also, I don't know why everyone is taking it for granted that big goaltenders will be the trend forever now. Just like how smaller skaters are finding success more frequently in the NHL, I believe the same can true for goalies.

Anyways here's some other goalies and their heights for your consideration (a bit of grab bag tbh).

Fluery 6'2
Quick 6'1
Jarry 6'2
Gibson 6'2
Georgiev 6'1
Halak 5'11
Gustavsson 6'2
Francouz 6'0

Brodour 6'2
Kiprusoff 6'1
Lundqvist 6'1
Turco 5'11

IMO it's kind of hilarious to pick 3" over four years of consistently dominant performances.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Wallstedt
Wolf
Levi
Askarov

Even reading this thread i could be convinced moving them around, pretty close imo

Kielbasa

Mar 28, 2023
You're not gonna convince me (and probably not many others) by just repeating the same things over and over again so we'll just leave it at that. There's no point debating this any further. Nobody here had anything bad to say about Wolf and nobody can say for sure he's not gonna be the best goalie of this poll. Wallstedt is still winning the poll because he's got higher upside. You can disagree but you gotta deal with it. I'll be happy to discuss this further with you once we know more but for now there's probably no point.

Its frustrating to have this debate bc "repeating the same points" in this case is stating the overwhelming statistical evidence that Wolf is dominating his cohort at a level Askorov and Wallstedt have not been able to achieve yet. To reject this in favor of Wallstedt's loosely defined "higher upside" without clearly defining what that is beside 3" of height is doubly frustrating.

As for the poll, I would say that's more to do with name recognition and draft pedigree than actual knowledge on these prospects.

Edit: grammer

Last edited:
Reactions: L13 and person5000

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad