Who is the best Goalie Prospect in Hockey?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Best Goalie Prospect in Hockey?

• Yaroslav Askarov (NSH)

• Devon Levi (BUF)

• Jesper Wallstedt (MIN)

• Dustin Wolf (CGY)

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

staveNsteel

Jan 18, 2021
Askarov.. great personality, I love his throwback style.. extremely athletic, and has looked great (see improvements in his positioning (I love that he's not just a robot like some other goalies) and glove hand). He's going to be a very good one!

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Askarov to me is lots of flash, so-so results. Impressed me when he was 17, downhill from there.

But he might flourish in the right situation.

As for college goalies, you never know what you're getting. Wouldn't bet the mortgage on Levi.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I say Dostal if he's still considered a prospect. Walstedt if he's not.

staveNsteel

Jan 18, 2021
Askarov to me is lots of flash, so-so results. Impressed me when he was 17, downhill from there.

But he might flourish in the right situation.

As for college goalies, you never know what you're getting. Wouldn't bet the mortgage on Levi.

Nah.. I respectfully disagree. If you sit down and watch his games, he is very impressive out there. The problem is that most people want cookie cutter technical goaltending, and everything else, different, is flawed. This kid has it for sure.. you can refine technique and positioning.. you can't teach that "it factor."

Last edited:

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Tier I: Wallstedt, Askarov, Levi
Tier II: Kochetkov, Wolf, Schmid, Dostal
Tier III: Cossa, Dobes, Ersson, Chrona, Commesso, Clang, Garand, Tarasov, Lindbom

Reactions: Dallasman

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Pretty much splitting hairs with these guys. It's Wallstedt. The ability to think the game so highly, his high level of positioning, his level of mobility and knows how to use his large frame make him essentially a slam dunk of a prospect. It was like watching Oettinger drop on draft day again.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
What's up with Wolf? I've never watched him, but given his track record I'm starting to want to.

He's getting results everywhere he goes... surely his technique isn't the problem? 6ft is short for an NHL goalie, so is that his main (only?) question mark?

he seems to be getting the least hype and respect from any recent goalie prospect. Levi posted the same SV% in the NCAA and he's hailed as the Sabres' saviour

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Wolf has 22 more wins the Wallstedt this year, 14 more than Askarov. He has the better GAA, the better SV%, the better GSAA. He's been better by every metric at the same level of competition after winning AHL Goaltender of the Year the year prior, the CHL and WHL Goaltender of the Year the year before that, and the WHL Goaltender of the Year the year before that.

He is 3rd in this poll why exactly?
Explain it to me like I'm 10 years old.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Nah.. I respectfully disagree. If you sit down and watch his games, he is very impressive out there. The problem is that most people want cookie cutter technical goaltending, and everything else, different, is flawed. This kid has it for sure.. you can refine technique and positioning.. you can't teach that "it factor."

Yeah i was just astounded by Askarov's it factor at the World Juniors.

He's talented, but so is Samsonov. I want to see some ability to dominate and he's just not showing it.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
a lot of the guys have great potential.

Wolf is already a great goalie. It’s him until someone else proves they are remotely close to him

Reactions: Boomstick

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Wolf>Wall>Askarov>Levi

I dunno much on Levi, but he better be the real deal for Buffalo. Wolf rocks. I hate that the flames have him because he'll end up as bait come 2028

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
For a more contrarian take:

Yaroslav Askarov
Sebastian Cossa
Dustin Wolf
Devon Levi
Artur Akhtyamov
Jesper Wallstedt

Reactions: Realgud

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Wolf has 22 more wins the Wallstedt this year, 14 more than Askarov. He has the better GAA, the better SV%, the better GSAA. He's been better by every metric at the same level of competition after winning AHL Goaltender of the Year the year prior, the CHL and WHL Goaltender of the Year the year before that, and the WHL Goaltender of the Year the year before that.

Probably because he’s 2 years younger than Wallstedt and 5’11 which isn’t great

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Probably because he’s 2 years younger than Wallstedt and 5’11 which isn’t great
He’s a year older and he won AHL goalie of the year… last year. When he was still eligible for the WHL. I’d be pretty shocked is he isn’t named league MVP this year. All that after the best statistical WHL career, ever.

He’s the next Fox/Gaudreau. Much like those two what he’s done is historic, not great.

Shesterkin, Saros, Wolf, Hofer, Levi. The goalie position is going small.

Reactions: Boomstick

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Seems like you're purely stats watching which usually doesn't tell you much about goalies especially if you, like you just did, ignore experience and competition.

Wolf is just about to finish his 2nd pro season so we're talking about a very small sample size.

Also, when looking at the potential of these goalies, Askarov and Wallstedt are at least a tier above the rest because they've got better technique and mobility despite being bigger.

Now unfortunately for goalies, talent and being big doesn't mean much if you can't get your head and all the little details right. Playing in the NHL is a different animal than playing in other leagues as well.

Still, from where we stand now, Askarov and Wallstedt are in a tier of their own which is also why they were drafted earlier than goalies normally would.

Now, the problem with Askarov is that his positioning is awful. He's also very inconsistent, doesn't always track the puck well and gets rattled far too quickly which is why it's entirely possible that, despite his talent, he never really sticks in the NHL or he's gonna be a backup behind guys like Wolf or Levi. You never know with goalies before they actually played a few NHL seasons. They're voodoo and talent alone does only get you so far.

So while it's entirely possible you're right about Wolf for me and for now, Wallstedt is clearly ahead of the rest. He's also far more experienced and proven than for example Wolf who mostly played against kids.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

Wallstedt was drafted two years after Wolf, and Askarov one. Comparing Wallstedt’s numbers to current Wolf isn’t overtly fair considering Wolf wasn’t even in the AHL at that point in his development.

To your point though, Wolf’s numbers last year crush Askarov’s this year. Lots of people are going off the projectabilty of a 6’3” goalie with Askarov’s athleticism over Wolf’s more diminutive stature (6’0”, taller than Saros) and less flashy style. I’ve always been more of a contrarian on this standpoint though. The flashy style and big saves people fawn over usually signal that a goalie is out of position more often than others and has to scramble to make saves. Wolf just seems to read plays phenomenally well and is just always ready for the next shot he faces. He is also a sponge when it comes to rebound control which is a phenomenal trait for a goalie. If we are being honest too, lots of people aren’t capable of looking much past draft position either.

This less flashy style I’ve found leads to a lot of people mis-attributing credit to the goalie. You’ll hear people complain instead about the shooter like “Can’t believe he shot it right at the crest” or even complaints about the goalie like “He never seems to make the big save”. Goalies who are fantastic positionally are often under appreciated, Wolf just has the numbers that people can’t ignore.

Reactions: L13 and abo9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad