Who is the best Goalie Prospect in Hockey?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Best Goalie Prospect in Hockey?

• Yaroslav Askarov (NSH)

• Devon Levi (BUF)

• Jesper Wallstedt (MIN)

• Dustin Wolf (CGY)

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Like I said above, the people that are commenting on his poor positioning are more than likely not watching him play. He positions himself quite well. At times he could tone down the aggressiveness in the way he approaches the shooter, but it's also part of the style he uses, which catches a lot of players off guard.

Anyone that thinks he'll fall flat in the NHL, I can guarantee has either watched him very sparingly or is not a fan of his style, which differs from most goalies out there. It sets him apart from other goalies, is difficult to game plan against, and should actually fit Nashville's tight defensive system quite well.

I'm quite honestly going from the comments - I agree that different styles/techniques are often frowned upon (look at Hasek's).

What I get from this is, I'll have to watch some AHL games next year :P Seems like quite a few excellent goalie prospects coming!

Yeah, Wolf played for good teams only. Everett was always strong when he was there and so is AHL Stockton/Calgary. Now you can say that it was him making the team better but that's only true to a certain extent. Wolf played on good teams in leagues with no relegation and a certain lack of depth which means that many games just aren't competitive. Now such games sometimes can be tricky for goalies as well and it's not Wolf's fault he played for good to overpowered teams only. Still, it's important to understand his stats.

Also, I never said that I like Askarov better than Wolf. For me, just Wallstedt is a few tiers above the rest in this poll. I just said that Askarov has higher upside than Wolf. That doesn't mean Wolf can't have a nice NHL career or can't turn out to be better than Askarov.

Having said that, the one thing you can't teach is size. I believe in today's NHL if you wanna be a franchise goalie for years, at 6'0 that's tough to impossible to do. Those days are over now that you have 6'4 or bigger guys like Andrei Vasilevskiy or Spencer Knight moving just as well and being just as explosive as 5'10 Juuse Saros. That doesn't mean smaller guys can still be starter in the NHL because obviously what happens between the ears is at least as important as size, movement and technique but big guys like Askarov moving so well does give them a clear advantage and as a smaller guy you have to work way harder not to get figured out. You also have to find other ways to set yourself apart from the bigger guys now that the big guys are such athletes. Much like for example Shesterkin, Wolf does that. Nowadays, smaller goalies have to be active puck movers and they have to better between the ears which includes mental strenght, consistency, keeping track of pucks etc.

Askarov (and Wallstedt to a lesser extent) from what I see actually have better explosiveness and mobility than Wolf. Askarov obviously has other issues we already discussed but I disagree it isn't teachable (learnable). It's gonna be tough for Askarov because lately, little to no progress is visible but sometimes that's just how it goes with goalies. My countryman Akira Schmid was hyped as the next big thing and I liked him a lot as a kid. Internationally he was always brutal though and at club level he seemed to stagnate for years as well but all of a sudden, when the goalie depth in the Devils organization was put to the test, Schmid was there standing on his head and hasn't looked back since. Goalies are voodoo. You never know what you got until they played a couple of NHL seasons at the very least and even the most shaky and inconsistent goalie can suddenly put it all together.

Definitely agree, can't teach size. I played goalie as a kid and was always on the shorter side (I'm 5'9 as an adult, but even then I got a few inches between 18 and 21 so I was really small for a goalie at 16-17). Pictures of me playing are almost laughable when you compare to guys like Price or Vasilevskiy who cover so much of the net in butterfly.

And I also agree that you can teach positioning and reading the play, but they're more esoteric attributes than technique, hence more difficult to teach and learn, but that's just my opinion. Again imo, I'd rather select a goalie for which we need to work on explosiveness and more fluid movements than working on reading the game.

I'm really looking forward to see them progress in the NHL, I hope they all succeed and become the next big thing with goalies. Just need these teams to trade Saros, Markstrom (and Gustavsson?) :)

*** Also I'm far from a scout lol, I'm discussing these for fun and to confirm my own biases ;) It wouldn't "shock" me if someone who's relatively under the radar right now ends up the better goalie in 5 years. That under the radar guy might be big, have solid positioning and explosiveness, but might have played on really bad teams and have been drafted late. Patrick Roy played for one of the worst junior team ever - you'd not think he would have an NHL career by looking at junior stats alone

Reactions: staveNsteel

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Yeah, Wolf played for good teams only. Everett was always strong when he was there and so is AHL Stockton/Calgary. Now you can say that it was him making the team better but that's only true to a certain extent. Wolf played on good teams in leagues with no relegation and a certain lack of depth which means that many games just aren't competitive. Now such games sometimes can be tricky for goalies as well and it's not Wolf's fault he played for good to overpowered teams only. Still, it's important to understand his stats.

Stockton had a .400 points percentage and were the 4th worst AHL team the season prior to Wolf becoming their starter.. They were not a good team.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
There are actually quite a few I'm excited for.. obviously there are most the ones that have already been mentioned but also I am quite high on Dostal, Hofer and Ersson

Another under the radar one I've heard is playing extremely well and could be real good is VGK drafted Carl Lindbom

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Stockton had a .400 points percentage and were the 4th worst AHL team the season prior to Wolf becoming their starter.. They were not a good team.
That's a cool story but it's also a bit misleading. The season you're talking about was a shortened covid season. Stockton was forced to play in Calgary and was facing just the Canadian teams all season long. Also, the regular season started in February. You can't honestly compare that season to others. There weren't even Calder cup playoffs that year.

19/20 Stockton was very much middle of the pack but with Wolf, players like Nick DeSimone, Connor Mackey, Andy Welinski, Juuso Välimäki, Yan Kuznetsov, Kevin Gravel, Connor Zary or Jacob Pelletier also joined the team. At AHL level, these are all impact players. Surely, Wolf improved the team's goaltending but so many impact players joining an already decent team was always gonna turn it into a powerhouse.

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
No love for Cossa becuase "mUh EcHl"
Well, with his declining stats post draft in the WHL, the fact that he's been replaced early in the WJC, that he has good stats in the ECHL but way worst that his collegue (Lethemon) and now, very bad numbers (in a small sample size... but still) in the AHL... It's hard to have him in that discussion.

There's a long way to go to become a #1 goalie in the NHL, he still has plenty of time to become that, but for now he's nothing special.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
That's a cool story but it's also a bit misleading. The season you're talking about was a shortened covid season. Stockton was forced to play in Calgary and was facing just the Canadian teams all season long. Also, the regular season started in February. You can't honestly compare that season to others. There weren't even Calder cup playoffs that year.

19/20 Stockton was very much middle of the pack but with Wolf, players like Nick DeSimone, Connor Mackey, Andy Welinski, Juuso Välimäki, Yan Kuznetsov, Kevin Gravel, Connor Zary or Jacob Pelletier also joined the team. At AHL level, these are all impact players. Surely, Wolf improved the team's goaltending but so many impact players joining an already decent team was always gonna turn it into a powerhouse.

The statistical variance between himself and his backups indicates that it is not the team, nor the system itself that is responsible for his sensational numbers and heavily implies who the true difference maker is on that team. If you were to watch him, you'd understand that. He's the best player in the AHL.

I am fine with you preferring another goaltender (they are voodoo after all) but it just seems strange the lengths you are going to discount what Wolf has accomplished.

Reactions: L13

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The statistical variance between himself and his backups indicates that it is not the team, nor the system itself that is responsible for his sensational numbers and heavily implies who the true difference maker is on that team. If you were to watch him, you'd understand that. He's the best player in the AHL.

I am fine with you preferring another goaltender (they are voodoo after all) but it just seems strange the lengths you are going to discount what Wolf has accomplished.
I provided important context, I didn't discount anything. I said only good things about Wolf. I didn't say anything bad about Wolf at all and the only reason why I'm not a fan is his lack of size.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
No love for Cossa becuase "mUh EcHl"
Let's say it like this. The best Redwings goalie prospect is Jan Bednar. Now that they're both in Toledo, Cossa better put on a show or he'll lose his gig in no time. I believe Bednar hasn't played since October so that gives Cossa a bit of time but starting next season the latest Cossa could be in trouble.

I actually think Bednar could end up being better than some goalies in this poll as well but this season was certainly a setback for him.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Seems like you're purely stats watching which usually doesn't tell you much about goalies especially if you, like you just did, ignore experience and competition.

Wolf is just about to finish his 2nd pro season so we're talking about a very small sample size.

Wolf has played 113 games as a pro. Wallstedt has played 103 between the AHL and the SHL. But sure one is a small sample size and the other is a proven track record :laugh:

Also, when looking at the potential of these goalies, Askarov and Wallstedt are at least a tier above the rest because they've got better technique and mobility despite being bigger.

Says who? You would think with better technique and mobility AND being bigger that they would have the better numbers. They don't. Not even close actually.
Now unfortunately for goalies, talent and being big doesn't mean much if you can't get your head and all the little details right. Playing in the NHL is a different animal than playing in other leagues as well.

Still, from where we stand now, Askarov and Wallstedt are in a tier of their own which is also why they were drafted earlier than goalies normally would.

Well they clearly aren't, otherwise they would be dominating their peers like Wolf is.

So while it's entirely possible you're right about Wolf for me and for now, Wallstedt is clearly ahead of the rest. He's also far more experienced and proven than for example Wolf who mostly played against kids.

See above. That's just not true.
You're really talking out of both sides of your mouth in this post.

Wallstedt was drafted two years after Wolf, and Askarov one. Comparing Wallstedt’s numbers to current Wolf isn’t overtly fair considering Wolf wasn’t even in the AHL at that point in his development.

They are playing the same position in the same league, the league that happens to directly feed the NHL. The question is who is the best goalie prospect in hockey, not who is the best 20 year old goalie prospect in hockey. Especially for goalies being of younger age doesn't at all mean there's a linear development curve like there often is for elite forwards.

To your point though, Wolf’s numbers last year crush Askarov’s this year. Lots of people are going off the projectabilty of a 6’3” goalie with Askarov’s athleticism over Wolf’s more diminutive stature (6’0”, taller than Saros) and less flashy style. I’ve always been more of a contrarian on this standpoint though. The flashy style and big saves people fawn over usually signal that a goalie is out of position more often than others and has to scramble to make saves. Wolf just seems to read plays phenomenally well and is just always ready for the next shot he faces. He is also a sponge when it comes to rebound control which is a phenomenal trait for a goalie. If we are being honest too, lots of people aren’t capable of looking much past draft position either.

This less flashy style I’ve found leads to a lot of people mis-attributing credit to the goalie. You’ll hear people complain instead about the shooter like “Can’t believe he shot it right at the crest” or even complaints about the goalie like “He never seems to make the big save”. Goalies who are fantastic positionally are often under appreciated, Wolf just has the numbers that people can’t ignore.

Absolutely, well said. Nothing wrong with athleticism but for goalies the key is consistency. The trait I would most associate with consistency and an NHL goalie(or player for that matter) is a high hockey IQ. Wolf has those numbers not because of the team he plays on, he has those numbers because he reads and anticipates the game at an extremely high level. Much like as @Tkachuk Norris pointed out, do Adam Fox and Johnny Gaudreau.

Last edited:

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
If given a choice, would you rather backstop AHL Calgary or Iowa? If you think about that long enough you may understand what I was trying to tell you. The CHL is even worse in that regard where every year you have teams tanking hard. Say what you want about the SHL but it is a very deep and competitive league.
I mean, goalies who are not Dustin Wolf or Jesper Wallstedt have wall to wall better results in Iowa than Calgary? If you go back to the previous season in Stockton the results are even more hilarious actually. Wolf had a 33-9-4 record and everyone else was 12-9-3. They had one less loss than him while playing 22 less games. The stat splits are unbelievable, tell me you can type with a straight face “Wolf is just better because his team insulates him more”

Wolf: .924, 2.35GAA
Werner: .886, 3.04GAA
Shortridge: .846, 4.00GAA
Chechelev: .848, 4.73GAA

AHL journeymen goalies come to Calgary’s system and have some of the worst results of their careers. Wallstedt is currently being outplayed by his AHL journeyman.

So your argument boils down to Wallstedt has less question marks because he played in the SHL and not the North American development system? What about question marks that arise from coming that direction? Like Wallstedt this season just broke his career high by having played 34 games. Every other year he has played mid to low 20s. One of the biggest walls goalies face to becoming a starter is how they are able to handle more and more starts. A guy like Wolf has 4+ seasons of 45+ starts under his belt without his game deteriorating. Wallstedt’s game has suffered a bit as the seasons dragged on, he’s currently on a 3-6-2 stretch while his counterpart is 6-4-0 over that same span.

Last but not least Wallstedt has only ever ‘stopped pucks at a dominant rate’ relative to his age. His number in the SHL are impressive for how young he was. His draft season he was 12-10 with a .907, followed by a promising 12-10 with a .917, and now has a 16-13-5 record with a .910 in the AHL. Wolf showed he had that ability to stop pucks at dominant levels, albeit while playing in a lesser league. But the thing was Wolf’s results never dropped going to the AHL, they just remained exactly as dominant. Wallstedt is quickly closing in where he shouldn’t be ‘amazing for his age’ it should just be amazing. Even Askarov has made that jump and his current level of play is amongst the best in the AHL while only being 5 months older.

Reactions: L13

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
This Minnesota fan sees no goaltender prospect I’d trade Wallstedt for even up. He’s not yet fully formed at 20yrs old.

Kielbasa

Mar 28, 2023
Absolutely, well said. Nothing wrong with athleticism but for goalies the key is consistency. The trait I would most associate with consistency and an NHL goalie(or player for that matter) is a high hockey IQ.
And its not like Wolf is incapable of athletic stops either, its just not part of his profile bc he doesn't need to pull it out that often due to his superior positioning.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
And its not like Wolf is incapable of athletic stops either, its just not part of his profile bc he doesn't need to pull it out that often due to his superior positioning.

Yeah not like he's lacking in athleticism either. Really quick lateral movement when he needs to. Will be curious how he fairs in the NHL with all the traffic, I would say that's one of the major differences between the American league and the National. Not that there's not traffic in the AHL but it ramps up several levels in the big league.

Welcome to the boards btw, I'd like your post but currently am in HF jail.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I mean, goalies who are not Dustin Wolf or Jesper Wallstedt have wall to wall better results in Iowa than Calgary? If you go back to the previous season in Stockton the results are even more hilarious actually. Wolf had a 33-9-4 record and everyone else was 12-9-3. They had one less loss than him while playing 22 less games. The stat splits are unbelievable, tell me you can type with a straight face “Wolf is just better because his team insulates him more”

Wolf: .924, 2.35GAA
Werner: .886, 3.04GAA
Shortridge: .846, 4.00GAA
Chechelev: .848, 4.73GAA

AHL journeymen goalies come to Calgary’s system and have some of the worst results of their careers. Wallstedt is currently being outplayed by his AHL journeyman.

So your argument boils down to Wallstedt has less question marks because he played in the SHL and not the North American development system? What about question marks that arise from coming that direction? Like Wallstedt this season just broke his career high by having played 34 games. Every other year he has played mid to low 20s. One of the biggest walls goalies face to becoming a starter is how they are able to handle more and more starts. A guy like Wolf has 4+ seasons of 45+ starts under his belt without his game deteriorating. Wallstedt’s game has suffered a bit as the seasons dragged on, he’s currently on a 3-6-2 stretch while his counterpart is 6-4-0 over that same span.

Last but not least Wallstedt has only ever ‘stopped pucks at a dominant rate’ relative to his age. His number in the SHL are impressive for how young he was. His draft season he was 12-10 with a .907, followed by a promising 12-10 with a .917, and now has a 16-13-5 record with a .910 in the AHL. Wolf showed he had that ability to stop pucks at dominant levels, albeit while playing in a lesser league. But the thing was Wolf’s results never dropped going to the AHL, they just remained exactly as dominant. Wallstedt is quickly closing in where he shouldn’t be ‘amazing for his age’ it should just be amazing. Even Askarov has made that jump and his current level of play is amongst the best in the AHL while only being 5 months older.
Yeah, again you're comparing stats like apples and oranges and it doesn't make sense. I told you already I can't say anything bad about Wolf except that he's too small. His numbers and consistency are amazing but it's important to see it in perspective and even as a Calgary fan you have to accept and understand the circumstances. They were mentioned by others and me in this thread and I can't repeat all of this again and again everytime you post your stats.

While I can't say anything bad about Wolf I also have to tell you that he does nothing better than Wallstedt except being a more active, better puck mover. Wallstedt has at least (in my view better) technique and mobility. Unlike with Askarov there are no red flags, no flaws in his game. We all don't know how he's gonna work out in the NHL but right now he gives us little reasons for doubts. Askarov has the same upside and maybe even more because he's a righty. Much like Wolf he's also a better puck handler/mover than Wallstedt is but until he gets the rest of his game together he's not gonna overtake Wallstedt as the top goalie prospect in my book. I can't say anything bad about Wolf or Levi except that you can't teach size. That's their problem. They can still play NHL but since today's big guys are such athletes, they're always gonna have higher upside. That's just how it is.

Again, my belief is that 6'0 goalies can still play in the NHL, possibly even as a starter. However, you can't play like Andrei Vasilevskiy if you're 6'0. That's just not doable. As the big guys become such athletes, it really is tough for the smaller guys and they're gonna get figured out more quickly as well.

The only good point in your post is that Wallstedt hasn't played lots of games per season which is something he'll have to leaen and get used to if he wants to be a starter in the NHL but again...goalies are voodoo anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad