Speculation: Who Goes First/Speculation/Rumors Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Paying Girardi big $ would be similar to giving Rosival big $. Big mistake.

Girardi is stable enough but He is extremely overrated. He has a very limited skillset.

He can't pass in the defensive zone to save his life. He excelled in a restricted tortorella system but the
Guy is very limited. Hes far too stationary. He frequently makes costly blunders when overwhelmed.

He was responsible for nearly every GA in game 5 against Boston. He lost his man and went behind the net
When NJ closed us out the previous year. Soft. Mentally and physically.

Trade him and get something for him and that Bozo MDZ.... who's worse!

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
You don't pay Girardi because there is no one else. Is Girardi worth a long-term contract? A shot blocking defenseman in this system. He is a great fit in the Tortorella dump the puck and passive zone defense system. The Rangers will end up regretting the contract. Girardi will want a major contract. He will be 30 and its his last big contract. Have the Rangers even discussed contract with Meehan regarding Girardi? They have spoken to Meehan about Lundqvist. They have spoken to Steve Bartlett about Callahan. Girardi wasn't very good last season. You want to blame the lockout because he didn't play in Europe. Go ahead. This year its the system. Anymore excuses? If he signs the contract and still doesn't play up to his previous level,the excuse will be Girardi is trying too hard.

Chris Johnston reported the cap is projected to be $67M next season. He wrote this on September 26. On September 23,the NHL Board of Governors met at the Hilton on 6th Avenue. The NHL probably gave the teams that $67M number.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...e-leafs-salary-cap-issues-will-impact-roster/

The Rangers have big decisions looming too. Lundqvist wants $8M-$9M. Callahan wants a raise too. Other players are up for contracts.

:vampire:

Say instead (in an alternate Universe) that everybody (except Stralman/Zucc who are unfortunately cap casualties and dealt to Detroit at the deadline) resigns. Nobody is moved. No gree(d) agents are signed. Richards is not amnestied. Nash returns healthy

How weird would this be?

:jol:NYR 2014/2015 ROSTER:jol:

:wbrew:
FORWARDS
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Brad Richards ($6.667m) / Danny Kristo or Jesper Fast (MAX $1.200m)
Derick Brassard ($3.700m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Carl Hagelin ($2.250m)
Chris Kreider ($1.850m) / J.T. Miller ($1.244m) / Ryan Callahan ($5.300m)
Brian Boyle ($2.400m) / Oscar Lindberg ($0.760m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Brandon Mashinter ($0.666m)

:skull:

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($5.000m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Dylan McIlrath ($1.295m)
Michael Del Zotto ($3.500m) / John Moore ($1.825m)
Conor Allen ($1.775m)

:bones:

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.000m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)

:dracula:
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $67,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,177,167; BONUSES: $1,876,667
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): -$500

:bat: FAT CHANCE :witch:

:hhal: FROM THE STANDARD HIGHLINE!!!

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Trade him and get something for him and that Bozo MDZ.... who's worse!

Lets say Staal/McD and say J. Moore goes down, I am sure that MDZ would do a good job as a nr 3. D. We got way bigger flaws on this roster than him potentially playing 21 minutes per night.

Creative D's need alot of ice time to be comfortable and make those small marginal plays on a shift by shift basis. MDZ is often hitting the ice cold, or playing on the wrong side of the ice.

I think its stupid to call him a bozo. I don't think MDZ at LD is much worse than Stepan at center to be honest.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Lets say Staal/McD and say J. Moore goes down, I am sure that MDZ would do a good job as a nr 3. D. We got way bigger flaws on this roster than him potentially playing 21 minutes per night.

Creative D's need alot of ice time to be comfortable and make those small marginal plays on a shift by shift basis. MDZ is often hitting the ice cold, or playing on the wrong side of the ice.

I think its stupid to call him a bozo. I don't think MDZ at LD is much worse than Stepan at center to be honest.

MDZ makes mental errors nearly every game. What exactly does he do well? This org. Pissed away 2 first round picks on him and bobby spaghetti. Looking likr anothe bust in McIlrath.

Its killed us. MDZ cant find his game here. Flaws?

Jan 8, 2012
NY
When do the excuses for MDZ stop? This is his fifth pro season. And he still can't hit the net, can't keep a puck in at the blue line, and is prone to dumb giveaways in his own zone.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Orpik would be a bad idea unless it is for under 2 million/season. The guy just doesn't move well anymore.

Put me in the group that would deal Girardi for a good return. Callahan, Stralman, Hank all should be re-signed. I wouldn't even be that upset of Boyle was retained as a 4c. Can't keep them all.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Girardi has his flaws. And I would not pay him 5.5M per. And would not be opposed to dealing him pending a good return.

But the team is absolutely, 100% better off with him than without him. Who is honestly going to log his top minutes on the right side? Who? McIlrath? Not yet or soon. Stralman? He's been good but can he be as good in a bigger role consistently matched up against first lines? MDZ? Don't make me laugh.

And unless the team tanks and gets a top pick they need a top echelon performance in GA to stay competitive. A large part of that is Henrik. A large part of that is the team in front of him. If your goalie is facing odd man rushes and mismatches down low I don't care who is in net (see: the early part of this season). You need both if you can't be top 5-10 in GF.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
My crazy trade post response...

You trade Del Zotto+ for Byfuglien and give him G's minutes on the right side.

You trade Girardi for picks/prospects that you then flip to Buffalo for Moulson at the deadline. You then re-sign Moulson for about 6 million a year. You call up Conor Allen or McIlrath to be the 6th defenseman.

Then, you have an instantly more offensively potent team. Obviously I've oversimplified a massive undertaking, but you get the idea.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
This board is schizo. The Rangers lose and its doomsday. The Rangers win and its we are going for the Cup. How about a middle ground? Lundqvist and Callahan are the only must signs and even those guys shouldn't get a blank check. If you have no plans to sign Girardi and are willing to let him walk out the door for nothing,then you better believe you can win the Cup. If you look at the Rangers,they aren't winning the Cup with this group. There is no cavalry riding in to save the day. I read a quote from Mike Gillis yesterday talking about the twins contracts. He said the Canucks are waiting for more clarity in where the cap will be set and he doesn't believe the twins will be signed soon. The Canucks want to sign them and they want to stay. The cap number doesn't come out until late June. The Rangers can't afford to wait until late June to figure out the roster going forward. They have too many decisions to make. They didn't make them in the summer. They deferred them into the season. Its November 1 tomorrow. Thanksgiving is 4 weeks away from today. Christmas and New Years. Then its Janauary. 5-6 weeks of hockey and then the Sochi break begins. The deadline is in March. One week after the Olympic break is over. Less than 4 months to figure it out.

lucky13

Iron Chic
Sep 17, 2006
Ridgewood, NY
MDZ makes mental errors nearly every game. What exactly does he do well? This org. Pissed away 2 first round picks on him and bobby spaghetti. Looking likr anothe bust in McIlrath.

How is McIlrath looking like a bust ???

With your assessment on DZ im sure this will be interesting

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007

You trade Girardi for picks/prospects that you then flip to Buffalo for Moulson at the deadline. You then re-sign Moulson for about 6 million a year. You call up Conor Allen or McIlrath to be the 6th defenseman.

Then, you have an instantly more offensively potent team. Obviously I've oversimplified a massive undertaking, but you get the idea.

Love it. Mail this post to Sather. :)

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
This board is schizo. The Rangers lose and its doomsday. The Rangers win and its we are going for the Cup. How about a middle ground? Lundqvist and Callahan are the only must signs and even those guys shouldn't get a blank check. If you have no plans to sign Girardi and are willing to let him walk out the door for nothing,then you better believe you can win the Cup. If you look at the Rangers,they aren't winning the Cup with this group. There is no cavalry riding in to save the day. I read a quote from Mike Gillis yesterday talking about the twins contracts. He said the Canucks are waiting for more clarity in where the cap will be set and he doesn't believe the twins will be signed soon. The Canucks want to sign them and they want to stay. The cap number doesn't come out until late June. The Rangers can't afford to wait until late June to figure out the roster going forward. They have too many decisions to make. They didn't make them in the summer. They deferred them into the season. Its November 1 tomorrow. Thanksgiving is 4 weeks away from today. Christmas and New Years. Then its Janauary. 5-6 weeks of hockey and then the Sochi break begins. The deadline is in March. One week after the Olympic break is over. Less than 4 months to figure it out.

yea it is nuts. I just want them to get into the playoffs and go in on a hot streak.

Sign Lundqvist and Callahan. It should be a no brainer. Others likely get moved around like Girardi and Stralman on D.

Richards pretty much has to get bough out because of that contract. Even if he is doing well now

Stepan, Brassard, Nash, Callahan, Kreider, Hagelin, Dorsett to me would be locks for next yr upfront. Then prospects if they are ready Miller, Lindberg, Fast, Kristo have legit shots..........let the UFA piles go, Boyle, Moore, Pouliott, Powe, Asham, Pyatt are off the books..............Zuccarello can stay if he plays like he did the last 2 games.

Loooooooooooong season is right though.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006

I'll agree that the Sanguinetti pick was a waste, but Del Zotto at the 20 spot was a very solid pick. The guy has played more nhl games than anyone picked outside of the top 10 besides Tyler Myers. Was there a better pick available at that spot, sure, but to say we pissed that pick away is just wrong.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I'm game, although I would rather trade MDZ for a young power forward + and then trade Girardi to Toronto for Gardiner +. Same principle though.

I agree, they need to make some decisions. Go one way or another, they can't do nothing...

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The thing about trading Girardi is that you need to have someone step up and take his minutes. These aren't 2nd pairing, sheltered minutes we're talking about. Who is going to step up and play 25 minutes with McDonagh while facing the Ovies and Crosby's of the world? Stralman? Not a chance. We all saw how he did last year when he had to fill in for Girardi for two games.

I'm not opposed to it, but if we move Del Zotto and Girardi, we're going to have some gaps on defense that we need to address.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The thing about trading Girardi is that you need to have someone step up and take his minutes. These aren't 2nd pairing, sheltered minutes we're talking about. Who is going to step up and play 25 minutes with McDonagh while facing the Ovies and Crosby's of the world? Stralman? Not a chance. We all saw how he did last year when he had to fill in for Girardi for two games.

I'm not opposed to it, but if we move Del Zotto and Girardi, we're going to have some gaps on defense that we need to address.

Bring in a young player who can play top-4 minutes. This team is blessed by having Staal and McDonagh on the left side. Stralman and Staal have very good chemistry. That is a solid 1b pairing. Get a player who can pair with McDonagh on a 2nd pairing or another 1b pairing and they will be fine.

Another way to think about it is that if they can get a a d-man who can move the puck both skating and passing maybe they spend less time in their own end because they are on offense more.

Moore is also a very solid #5 who can play more minutes when necessary.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Of course, prior to dealing any of our top 4 dmen, we might want to try to re-sign Staal. Don't want to be caught out in that way.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
It seems like a long time since Sather negotiated an extension with one the players during the season - off the top of my head, the extensions to Girardi and Lundqvist in winter 2008 were probably the last ones.
Lately Sather seems more inclined to engage in serious negotiations after the season has ended. He can't do that this year with so many important players hitting free agency.

The only players with contracts beyond this year are Nash, Stepan, Hagelin, Dorsett, Miller, McDonagh, Staal, and Talbot. And then there's Richards who in all likelihood will be bought out. I hope Sather already has some idea of who he wants to retain (and who can potentially replace them), or some sort of plan in general. That's a lot of work to be done in one offseason.

Punxrocknyc19*

I'm sure if one or both of Connor Allen or McIlrath can prove himself like McDonagh did before Rozsival was traded, that one of Del Zotto or the UFA d-man might get traded..

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano

Agreed. The thing is there is supposed to be some Dman out there that can play top pair minutes on the right side and can be had. Can we have names? those don't grow on trees and if they are available, they would cost a lot. Until there is a serious plan to replace him, Girardi shouldn't be going anywhere.
I know it's fashionable to point the finger at him when he sneezes the wrong way, but it's very shortsighted.

On DZ, he is definitely struggling on the right side. It doesn't look like the Rangers have any plans to trade him. If they were, he would be playing on the left side to raise his value. or if they do have plans, then it's bad asset management.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
It seems like a long time since Sather negotiated an extension with one the players during the season - off the top of my head, the extensions to Girardi and Lundqvist in winter 2008 were probably the last ones.
Lately Sather seems more inclined to engage in serious negotiations after the season has ended. He can't do that this year with so many important players hitting free agency.

The only players with contracts beyond this year are Nash, Stepan, Hagelin, Dorsett, Miller, McDonagh, Staal, and Talbot. And then there's Richards who in all likelihood will be bought out. I hope Sather already has some idea of who he wants to retain (and who can potentially replace them), or some sort of plan in general. That's a lot of work to be done in one offseason.

I wouldnt sell him short. For a man that has shown pretty much zero interest for charting a course forward, he may be welcoming having so many free agents in the summer.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Who replaces Girardi's ice-time? Who replaces Stralman's?

Stralman will command 3M+.
Girardi? About 5?

If they're not moved by the deadline, you do whatever it takes to re-sign them both. You retain your assets if you can do so for market value.

Rozsival contract wasn't a burden. And he was moved for another asset (Wolski) who we later flipped for Florida's 3rd.

Sign Girardi. Hopefully Sather can avoid his NMC sweetner. Flip him down the road if you can find a replacement.

RH, top pairing dmen though. Just as easy to find as legitimate PMD, premier goaltenders, and top-line centers. There's a premium on these positions for a reason. We know this.

Asset management, folks. Assuming we can pull it off (financially), it's a no brainer.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I wouldnt sell him short. For a man that has shown pretty much zero interest for charting a course forward, he may be welcoming having so many free agents in the summer.

Yeah, I wouldn't put anything past him. He is well overdue for a free agent shopping spree and if there is any offseason to do so it would be this one. I could also see him holding on to players that have no future with the team in order to make a playoff run. Obviously all the players hitting free agency won't be retained - he better make sure to get something back for them instead of letting them walk away for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad