Speculation: Who Goes First/Speculation/Rumors Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Oh, didn't even see Orpik's name mentioned. So why exactly would we be looking to trade for a complete defensive defenseman with absolutely no offense?

BarbaraAlphanse

Oh, didn't even see Orpik's name mentioned. So why exactly would we be looking to trade for a complete defensive defenseman with absolutely no offense?

Girardi heavily regressing. Staal may go to Carolina. Only 2 reasons you need.

BarbaraAlphanse

He's referring to Orpik, who will be a UFA, not O'Reilly who is still going to be an RFA.

Also, no way they move O'Reilly for Del Zotto unless the Rangers add a significant piece or two.

Would think the trade to be Brassard and MDZ. Lindberg assumes the 3c role whenever he's ready.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
Would think the trade to be Brassard and MDZ. Lindberg assumes the 3c role whenever he's ready.

Doubt Colorado would go for it. O'Reilly is a rare breed of player. He has the potential to be one of the best all around players in the game while putting up very good numbers (60-70 points). He's also very physical and a great leader. All at age, what, 23? Colorado would move Stastny before O'Reilly. He's a part of their core.

I think the whole Colorado moving O"Reilly thing died when he signed his contract. Unless they can get a very, very good defenseman back, and while I like DZ, he isn't that.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Don't get either response.

Why a face palm? He's a UFA. Nearly became a Ranger last go around. Fits what we need. Sather likes him.

What need does he fit exactly?

In the universe where they asked for either him or Stepan to start talks when they were shopping him last season? And the Rangers balked at both.

Please provide a link/citation from a reputable source.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Doubt Colorado would go for it. O'Reilly is a rare breed of player. He has the potential to be one of the best all around players in the game while putting up very good numbers (60-70 points). He's also very physical and a great leader. All at age, what, 23? Colorado would move Stastny before O'Reilly. He's a part of their core.

I think the whole Colorado moving O"Reilly thing died when he signed his contract. Unless they can get a very, very good defenseman back, and while I like DZ, he isn't that.

Bingo. Colorado isn't trading anyone under 25. They're rebuilding. Guys like Stastny, Sarich, Hejda, Giguere would be traded before anyone like ROR or Duchene. Though, Giguere may be less likely now with Varlamov in trouble.

BarbaraAlphanse

Not dead set on it having to be ROR. I'm just musing that that will be the type of player we target by dangling MDZ and potentially Brassard.

Need a 1/2 c after we buy out Richards. No matter how good he's playing right now it's inevitable that we need to buy him out. The risk of him retiring before the end of the contract is too great and this is our last chance to buy him out.

Risks that also need to be addressed are Girardi falling off the face of the planet/asking for much more than he should be and Staal potentially bolting in a year and a half's time from now.

That's why I list Orpik and ROR (as an ex of a 1/2c) as solutions.

Now you can say why not trade Girardi or Staal then and keep on to Brassard to be our 2c when Richie leaves?

Girardi - may ask for 4+ mill over the next 4 years. You can't afford to give him that with the signs of aging and slowing down that he's shown over the last 2 years.

Staal - there is still a possibility that you can resign him. I don't think he's closed the door on us. If he does then you won't get top return for him unless it's to the Cane's.

Brassard - Shows to be inconsistent like he was in Col. He became their 3c before long because of his inconsistency. Perhaps the type of system he thrived in most was something like Torts. High intensity coaching that spells out how a player should play. Can't have that as your everyday 2c.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
What need does he fit exactly?

Adding a veteran blueliner that can actually play certainly wouldn't hurt. The blueline is very good but it lacks toughness/experience and Orpik adds a ton of that. He'll probably re-sign with Pittsburgh, though.

Move DZ for help up front.

Staal-Stralman
McDonagh-Girardi
Orpik-McIlrath

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
Isn't Orpik quite slow now? And he plays a physical style, his body is going to break down. I don't think he is a good option for us anymore. Maybe if he was 3-4 years younger, but not anymore.

Also BB, where's J. Moore?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
as much as Pyatt sucks if everyone was healthy I would like to think AV would put him on the 4th line at best

Kreider, Stepan, Nash
Richards, Brassard, ,Calllahan
Hagelin, Boyle, Zuccarello/Pouliott
Pyatt, Moore, Dorsett

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
i'm not goingback and sorting it. i'm not gonna make something like that up.

You posted the rumor. It's your responsibility to provide proof that what you said actually happened.

And "i'm not gonna make something like that up" is equivalent to a pinky swear.

So again, I'll ask you to please provide a link/citation from a reputable source.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
Isn't Orpik quite slow now? And he plays a physical style, his body is going to break down. I don't think he is a good option for us anymore. Maybe if he was 3-4 years younger, but not anymore.

Also BB, where's J. Moore?

Good point, I forgot about Moore. :laugh:

Maybe let Girardi go, maybe let Stralman go...will be interesting to see what direction the Rangers take their D this offseason.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Adding a veteran blueliner that can actually play certainly wouldn't hurt. The blueline is very good but it lacks toughness/experience and Orpik adds a ton of that. He'll probably re-sign with Pittsburgh, though.

Move DZ for help up front.

Staal-Stralman
McDonagh-Girardi
Orpik-McIlrath

Moore-McI on 3rd pair?

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
as much as Pyatt sucks if everyone was healthy I would like to think AV would put him on the 4th line at best

Kreider, Stepan, Nash
Richards, Brassard, ,Calllahan
Hagelin, Boyle, Zuccarello/Pouliott
Pyatt, Moore, Dorsett

I feel Boyle would destroy so many offensive chances on that line, he just doesn't have good hands. I feel D. Moore would succeed better there.

BarbaraAlphanse

You posted the rumor. It's your responsibility to provide proof that what you said actually happened.

And "i'm not gonna make something like that up" is equivalent to a pinky swear.

So again, I'll ask you to please provide a link/citation from a reputable source.

Not much of a responsibility. Have more important things to do tonight than go sifting through rumors from a year ago.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Not much of a responsibility. Have more important things to do tonight than go sifting through rumors from a year ago.

Took me 2 seconds to search for the relevant "articles".

Hint: You made it up

BarbaraAlphanse

Is it a strong possibility that the Rangers can't keep their main D men?

I don't know about strong.

Girardi seems likely gone unless he signs a bargain. His family is here, maybe they don't want to relocate and for sake of moving his family he takes a hometown discount. Can't see him resigning if he asks for anything over 3.5, and he could probably get over 5 from some other team desperate for defense.

Staal in same boat. Is he going to join his brothers or not? Rangers should approach him in the offseason and try and work something out. If nothing gets worked out before the UFA signing date he should be looked to be moved too.

Richards is going to be bought out.

Have some holes to fill this year.

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
I think trading options for both MDZ and Staal need to be explored. MDZ+1st+ Kreider/someone else of good value or Staalsy+1st+Boyle. These kind of trades need to be explored and see what we can get back.

For example, MDZ+1st+Kreider. If that gives us Yak or Evander Kane, do we bite? Maybe I'm off in value, but I feel we need to think long and hard about a trade like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad