Speculation: Who Goes First/Speculation/Rumors Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Keep McDonagh and John Moore. Everyone else can go. Staal. Del Zotto. Girardi. Stralman. Bring up McIlrath later in the year for some seasoning.

Keep only the young forwards upfront. Stepan. Hagelin. Kreider. Miller. Fast. Those guys are part of the solution. Re-sign Callahan. Nash has 4 years remaining on his contract. Bring up Kristo at some point this season. Put Miller at center.

Amnesty Richards in June.

The Rangers have some players in Boyle and Dominic Moore who will be coveted by teams.

Brassard was terrific in the playoffs. Dorsett was a good player in Columbus. He is still a good player. Flip them for other assets.

The other guys are waiver fodder. Pouliot. Pyatt. Zuccarello. They could generate some interest in the trade market. Playoff teams looking for depth forwards could look at Pouliot and Pyatt. Zuccarello said there were other NHL teams interested him last summer.

Re-sign Lundqvist.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
I've resigned myself to a transition year that hopefully sees Sather retired. I'd love to see them in a position to draft top 5 overall. Will Lundqvist commit to a team like this long term? When he returns to form it maybe too late to salvage the season. Hes too good for us to be bad enough to draft high enough to improve. ..
We're spinning our wheels....

Play the core and develop the youth. Trade and waive everyone else. At some point soon its going to be clear that this is strictly a development year....

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Bottoming out wouldnt be bad. I still think when everyone gets healthy, this team will wind up where most typical Ranger teams wind up -- rudderless and clawing for a playoff spot.

Anyway, if the team were to really tank it, the #1 priority would be Sather could not possibly be the one tabbed with trying to rebuild it. After 14 years, one trip to the conference finals, and coming off a lost season, do you really think he'd be willing to step down then? Nope. Too much pride.

Last edited:

Wamsutta

I'm Glen Sather IRL
Nov 8, 2011
Connecticut
Yup. Leaving aside the fact that NY teams don't rebuild and Dolan won't allow it (need that playoff cheddar), Sather simply cannot be the man at the wheel for a hypotehtical "tank, blow it up, start again" effort. He is just going to continue trying to recreate the Dynasty Oilers in 2013.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Bottoming out wouldnt be bad. I still think when everyone gets healthy, this team will wind up where most typical Ranger teams wind up -- rudderless and clawing for a playoff spot.

Anyway, if the team were to really tank it, the #1 priority would be Sather could not possibly be the one tabbed with trying to rebuild it. After 14 years, one trip to the conference finals, and coming off a lost season, do you really think he'd be willing to step down then? Nope. Too much pride.

If they lose the next (2) games, which is VERY possible with Detroit and then Montreal coming up, they are going to have an extremely steep hill to climb. That would put them at 2-8...

Punxrocknyc19*

how about Kyle Clifford from LA???

id gladly move Del Zotto and Pouliot to the Kings for Clifford, Pearson, Fraser and 1st 2014??

IBleedNYRBlue

May 24, 2011
New Jersey
It all starts from the top.

Can't fire Dolan so next up is Sather. We can keep changing coaches like we do our underwear, but won't change a thing. Sather is the problem and will always be.

Avengers*

What happens if Lundqvist, Girardi and Callahan walks at the end of the season?

Intense rebuild mode begins? Fire Sather and start with fresh young faces? It would kill the team to lose number 1 goalie, heart and soul and blocking shots god!

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
Although it may seem like a bad idea now, in the long run, a total rebuild would be great for this team. Preferably not under Sather's supervision though. We are just not built to win, there is no cohesiveness in this team.

Punxrocknyc19*

trade Girardi Callahan Boyle and Lundqvist.. maybe this is the year the Rangers do something on draft day.. getting 3 or 4 1st round picks will help this franchise especially if they can draft 2 top line forwards... let's hope Sather does something smart that makes sense

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
how about trading staal for yakupov? staal has a year left on his deal so he would probably have more value than girardi. i know girardi will get a massive raise this summer, but losing him would leave another hole on right D. staal also has his injury history.

edmonton needs another established defensive D-man. they have a lot of RD as is, so maybe they would be more interested in staal.

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
trade Girardi Callahan Boyle and Lundqvist.. maybe this is the year the Rangers do something on draft day.. getting 3 or 4 1st round picks will help this franchise especially if they can draft 2 top line forwards... let's hope Sather does something smart that makes sense

That'd be extremely painful, but I can see the need to actually do it.

Things won't change unless Sather is gone, first and foremost.

Punxrocknyc19*

That'd be extremely painful, but I can see the need to actually do it.

Things won't change unless Sather is gone, first and foremost.

everyone but Sather and Dolan knows that the game has passed Sather by. i wish he would know already that its time to retire...

KreiMeARiver*

Knowing that Dolan doesn't do the "tank" thing, I wonder how much time AV and his crew have?

Last edited by a moderator:

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Keep McDonagh and John Moore. Everyone else can go. Staal. Del Zotto. Girardi. Stralman. Bring up McIlrath later in the year for some seasoning.

Keep only the young forwards upfront. Stepan. Hagelin. Kreider. Miller. Fast. Those guys are part of the solution. Re-sign Callahan. Nash has 4 years remaining on his contract. Bring up Kristo at some point this season. Put Miller at center.

The Rangers have some players in Boyle and Dominic Moore who will be coveted by teams.

Brassard was terrific in the playoffs. Dorsett was a good player in Columbus. He is still a good player. Flip them for other assets.

The other guys are waiver fodder. Pouliot. Pyatt. Zuccarello. They could generate some interest in the trade market. Playoff teams looking for depth forwards could look at Pouliot and Pyatt. Zuccarello said there were other NHL teams interested him last summer.

Re-sign Lundqvist.

Agreed pretty much completely. That should have been regardless of how this season went. And they should start implementing it ASAP.

Personally I would look to keep Staal, if he is willing to stay.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
I'd keep Staal, Boyle, and Moore.

Staal is a great D-man and a guy we want to have around for as long as possible. I really don't see the point in giving him up now. I see him, McDonagh, Moore, and McIlrath (hopefully) as the future top 4 of the team. Assuming Moore continues to handle the right side well. Would also like a RH'er with a good shot to help out on the PP.

I also can't fathom the insane level of Boyle hatred around here. He and Moore are perfect bottom liners who can go up a line and PK, play decently physical. I mean I'm cool with letting Pyatt and some others go... but what's the point in getting rid of our entire bottom 6? Who is replacing them? Same with Dorse really. Keep at least 2 of those 3 around. Veteran guys who can play different needs on the bottom levels. It's not like we have many guys in the system who can replace them. Hrivik? Kantor? Jean? I dunno who's gonna be ready or when, if ever.

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009

Re-sign Lundqvist.

I agree but to do it right you have to cut ties with Hank. You cannot have that much money tied up in your goalie. He is awesome but his salary demands eat to much cap for the modern NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad