• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
The main prospects board is a real interesting place in regards to Byfield. His own thread hasn't been posted in for nine days now, which is surprising for a guy in the 2/3OA discussion. What you do see, however, is a lot of posters choosing him as the bust of the draft in multiple threads.

That's just people upset/envious that their team won't be selecting Byfield. Bunch of green-eyed ham & eggers.

I just read one poster saying he thinks Byfield "won't bust completely" but will be a player that "oozes skill but wants you leaving more". No problem with that, but then he goes on to say "Not saying he'll be an Anthony or Chris Stewart level player". Yikes. His game is nothing like those two so I wonder why that comparison is made...

That's just some ridiculous theory based upon race. In other words, a racist theory which should be given zero credence, PERIOD. I'm surprised I'm bothering myself by even commenting upon it.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I'm pretty sure the extent of Luc's responsibilities in his role with the Kings back in 2008 was limited to picking out the logos on the beer cups at Staples. Not likely he had Dean's ear on the matter, gotta lot more swing now though.

And if you don't believe DL asked the highest scoring left wing of all time what he thought of Stamkos I have some prime real estate in Chop, Washington to sell you.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
If folks watched the actual video, it's not that Luc had any influence on the selection process, it's that they (Luc and Yannetti) pretty much knew that Dean wanted to draft Drew regardless if it was at 1 or 2. C'mon, if you don't think those guys didn't know, you're kidding yourselves. I bet freaking Jim Fox knew who the Kings upper brass wanted to draft last year (he did) and I bet he's got a damn good idea who they're leaning towards to selecting this draft.

Reactions: ricardfromage

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Yea it was pretty poor. I was watching some of the better teams, if there is a gap between the top and the bottom I could definitely see some pretty abysmal play. If they lost to the UK, not exactly a hockey hotbed of talent, I was being too generous.
They’ve won in the U.K since 2017 but SEL teams have been far more dominant, for example.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
They had Johnson and just drafted Hickey. Stamkos was the consensus #1. Passing on him would have been like passing on Laf.

Kings would have been rolling out a 1-2 combo of Kopitar/Stamkos. That is difficult to pass up. As it stands, Dean wound up having to trade a pretty penny to eventually get that #2C.

If the Kings take Stamkos, is Teubert the guy they take at #13 or does that shift their thinking and they go with more of an all-around guy in Myers instead of reaching for a "criminal" since they already drafted Doughty? Is walking out of that draft with Stamkos/Myers/Voynov better than what actually happened? None of us would change anything since they won two cups but let's not take a total dump on Stamkos like he isn't above a PPG player for his career and notched a 60 goal season. I'd like to see more out of him in the playoffs but he's a great player.

Anyways, I don't think they would have passed on Stamkos but I fully believe that DL was not upset to be at #2 so he didn't have to make that choice.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I've been reading a lot about both players and I think the consensus is honestly subjective on the observer. I've seen 60-40 leaning towards Byfield because he's the "safer option".

Most of these opinions are formed while gnawing on hot wings and how good they are at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigKing

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I've been reading a lot about both players and I think the consensus is honestly subjective on the observer. I've seen 60-40 leaning towards Byfield because he's the "safer option".

Welcome to the party haha...that's why for a lot of us from like January till even now it's possible to flip flop day after day. Really really tight race, equally elite prospects, yet so different.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Welcome to the party haha...that's why for a lot of us from like January till even now it's possible to flip flop day after day. Really really tight race, equally elite prospects, yet so different.

I think that's where I'm pretty confused about. Everyone has a different opinion about what the team needs and at the same time people think a certain factor is the solution while another finds it in Stutzle. It's just a shot in the dark because they're different players.

Byfield fits the Kings old archetype and Stutzle fits the new Kings vision.

So I feel like for Kings fan especially it comes down to which route they'd want to go.

Again I'd be happy with either. But f*** man, lol. Most I've been invested in a draft in a long time. These guys are incomparable which makes comparing them feel useless. It's just preference at this point.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Anyways, I don't think they would have passed on Stamkos but I fully believe that DL was not upset to be at #2 so he didn't have to make that choice.

2008 NHL Redraft: Doughty, Stamkos flip spots at top

Well, let's hope history repeats itself and #2 becomes the best player of the draft because Victor Hedman is more important to the Lightning than Stamkos is. I've never been big on Stamkos because he's played passenger way too many times for the Lightning, is a great goal scorer but not a very good actual center. He can rarely take over a game on his own as someone has to feed him. And for as much as we shit on Doughty (deservedly) for seemingly dogging it lately (I think the youth and this layoff will rejuvenate him as he showed signs of life before COVID), his first 10 years of his career is tops of his draft class. Two Conn Smythe worthy performances and two Olympics when he was the friggin' man in best on best competition. Laf has way more dimensions to this game than Stamkos does though, but nothing at the level of Stamkos' shot.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

ricardfromage

"You wanted the Germs, you get em"
Mar 5, 2020
paradise
I don’t understand how you can form an argument based on numbers you’ve literally picked from thin air. Both players have demonstrated the ability to work through challenges (Byfield, poor team - Stützle, playing against men). With their talent level an inability to cope when it gets tough is usually the reason players bust. Neither shows a hint of that and character is now something teams really zero in on. It’s in no way a coin flip that either busts.

However, you also consider Byfields age and height as a risk when in fact it’s a reason to be even more excited about him. Presenting him growing another 2 inches as a risk is a fairly contrived issue and again based on no facts other than his height. Being too tall and gangly is a problem from 20 years ago. Sports science has long been able to help properly manage and handle growth spurts and the like, so it really isn’t a problem. His body type won’t change if he grows taller as his frame will also grow, he will just get bigger and stronger. Knowing how to manage a players body type and physical condition is basic stuff these days. I Imagine a guy of his size, who even if he doesn’t hit like Brownie, could overpower anyone in the league, is immovable from in front of the net and then I think about how good his hands are. He already has great puck protection ability and if bigger it only gets better. It’s the same with his shot, it’s already technically good, so a strength increase will just make it better.

There are plenty of ‘big’ skilled guys in the games history, we can start with Mario Lemieux at 6’ 4” and as has already been mentioned Arnott was 6’5. I don’t ever recall an expert discussion about how either player would benefit from being a touch smaller. If he ended up being the biggest ever 1 C how is that an issue? Someone has to hold that crown and it really isn’t a negative as he isn’t an Ectomorph body type, he’s a Mesomorph by the looks of things and that’s fine.

Of course he may bust, that risk applies to every single player drafted, even Lafreniere. However, Byfield is no greater risk than anyone else for that. Both Stützle and Byfield will be Elite players IMO, top 6 players at worst if their respective developments get screwed up. The reason I’d choose Byfield is that there is the potential that if he hits his absolute ceiling he becomes a Franchise player, even if it’s only a 10% chance it’s a significant difference maker. We have a record of being patient with player development and I’m sure we will get something close to the ceiling with whomever we pick. I don’t think either player busts in LA.

I do agree though that’s there a case for letting Byfield play junior again next year to allow him to grow and develop. However, not on the team he was at last year. He needs to be traded so he can play on a contending team, with decent players so he can take his game to the next level. If his rights are not moved he may be better served with sheltered minutes playing 60+ games in LA. It’s definitely going to be the most important decision that gets made for him, in terms of hitting whatever his ceiling proves to be. There is so much time between now and when they have to decide that the answer, whatever it is, could easily change.

I do consider a number of things (or did in my post) based on my own personal experience(s) but then so do you. You say his size is a reason to be excited and that the problems that it presents is a thing of the past so please help me out, which 6'6" players are in the top 6 of any team today. I know that the BlackHawks drafted a kid last year who is 6'5" in Dach but it is way to early to say that he is going to be anything more than a useful top 6 player which is a very very good thing by the way. So there is one sort of. I have looked and don't see any others but then let's say that the 17yo 6'4" dynamo that had a "good" season in the OHL this year stays at his current height and doesn't continue to grow as he has the past two years. He would then be a legit top 6 threat without any of the drawbacks that larger players tend to experience.

All players may bust and I said as much in my post so I don't see any need to rehash that but I do want to point out that you say that the oversize player problem is a thing of the past but then your examples of oversize players are ML who was 6'4" the size where I said seems to be the cutoff for large players before they become oversized and then you list Arnott who was under 6'5" by two tenths of an inch according to his bio. The thing about them also is that they played years and years ago or in your words "the past". I guess it was a little confusing or something but I get where you are coming from.

I would also like to talk about QB's play in two categories. Firstly is his very soft game. For his size he should be dropping/plowing through most of his competition and at times he does but that is really mostly in the Ozone. Not saying he is bad in his own zone but he isn't anything special. Additionally I would also point out that QB is a bit of a floater everywhere but in the Ozone. I am not saying that the kid isn't a pretty good player in spurts in his own zone but he needs a shit tonne of improvement in that category like most young players do. Just pointing out the obvious.

So, I guess my position regarding QB is that he lacks any truly elite skillset and is merely good to very good in a few areas of his game and that to me is the rub. I think he will be a highly valuable top 6 forward (hopefully a centre but that will take time to see) when everything is said and done but we are drafting at the #2 position and in this deep of a draft I think that we should be looking for the most elite player at their position that we could select (providing that their character meets with ours etc). It is why I say that Askarov should be considered at the #3 pick or at least by #5. He is among the best goalie prospects that I have seen come along in years and easily the best goalie of this and the last draft AIAEC. If he wasn't from Russia he would be in the top 3 for sure this year but he is and that makes him a bit of a problem and it would have to be worked out the best way possible prior to the draft and even then it could be a problem.

So imo the best player available at 2 is Stutzle but I believe that we will draft QB for lots of reasons, some that I don't agree with and some that I do. I will be way geeked when we do draft him and hope to see him in two or three years in our top 6. IF he puts it all together he could be very scary. I just think that Stutzle has a greater chance of putting it all together than QB does but once a King always a King. I posted a similar thread in 02 here I think and believe it was regarding Scott Barney but it doesn't really matter who it was. The player didn't make it and that is alright, it happens. So I have a similar feeling regarding QB and that is alright by me. I like being proven wrong when it happens, great learning experience and in this case if it happens then we get a stud of a giant in our top 6. How can that be a bad thing?

Oh and I have a couple of sort of recent Kings who were dominant before their draft (offensively) and ended up being serviceable 2nd/3rd line players in the NHL. The first is Brian Boyle. He came of a Boston record setting offensive year before his draft and ended up a serviceable player in the NHL. He never played a soft game and was/is a really all heart sort of player. David Steckle was also oversized and he had a nice little career though he was never considered to be a dynamo before his draft year (I think he was taken 23rd in the 1st round but I am not certain). He was said to have a very good offensive game but became more of a grinder in the NHL. There is also George Parros who much like Steckle was seen as one thing coming out of Princeton (or was it Yale?) but ended up being a solid two way forward for a little bit and then settling in to becoming a bit of a goon.

Not saying that any of these guys are close in skill or potential to QB (accept for Boyle sort of), just saying that oversized players even recently tend to have a much tougher road. Of course it is all speculation but then that is where I see the risk/reward scenario with QB. I don't want us to risk anything at all with the #2pick and would rather we draft the more talented player without as much risk but like I said, we will draft QB so it is all a moo point. Like a cow.

Oh and we should keep the fact that Stutzle played in a mens pro league this year and had an exceptional campaign. Just think that it should be part of the conversation is all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rorschach

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I think that's where I'm pretty confused about. Everyone has a different opinion about what the team needs and at the same time people think a certain factor is the solution while another finds it in Stutzle. It's just a shot in the dark because they're different players.

Byfield fits the Kings old archetype and Stutzle fits the new Kings vision.

So I feel like for Kings fan especially it comes down to which route they'd want to go.

Again I'd be happy with either. But f*** man, lol. Most I've been invested in a draft in a long time. These guys are incomparable which makes comparing them feel useless. It's just preference at this point.

I completely ignored all these guys all season because I was convinced we were drafting 5th to 7th, so this deep dive analysis is all new to me too. Now like others, I wanted one of these "new NHL" type forwards that can dance in and out of traffic because every good team seemed to have one but the Kings (could be Turcotte/Madden). I'd be happy with the a Stutzle selection if that's what the Kings decide in October or whenever the draft ends up happening. Those guys do their homework. But what makes me salivate about Byfield is that besides the fact that he fits the Kings old archetype of success, he also fits the new NHL. He moves and skates better than just about any big forward I've ever seen as a prospect. That's not even talking about his stickhandling ability and shot, which is also excellent and projects to be good at the NHL level.

I liken my infatuation of Byfield to this, as a basketball fan I'd be ecstatic with Steph Curry on my team. Former MVP, greatest shooter of all time. Who wouldn't as he does something better than anyone ever. However, when Kevin Durant was on his team, KD may not be the greatest distance shooter of all time, but he's still one of the best at it...and he's 7 freaking feet tall and agile and a threat to score anywhere on the court, not just from distance. He was the best player on that team, not Curry. Size and athleticism coupled with skill is a dangerous package to have and it's not just all potential. He's lighting up the OHL. Just my 2 cents on why Byfield (currently! lol) is my guy.

ricardfromage

Mar 5, 2020
paradise
Derek Forbort was a project. Colten Teubert was a project. Brian Boyle was a project. Hugh Jessiman was a project.

Not a single f***ing scouting service has labeled Quinton Byfield a project. Just someone who’s never watched him play.

Who might that be? Who has said he was a project who has never seen him play? I can tell you also that he IS seen as a project by a few of the top scouts and scouting services around. That is what they mean when they say he will need to develop his game and to work hard at a few aspects of his overall play. It is also what is meant when they compare QB to Kopitar and then say "who better to learn how to emulate Kopitar's game then Kopitar himself. QB IS a project but so are most young players. I disagree with your implication here. Oh and Brian Boyle had just set a few records that remain unbroken to this day in Boston Highschool athletics. Most of them as a centre and as such offensively including a 12 point game (I believe it was 12). We made him a defenseman (stupid idea) changing his game when he was in college and he was seen as one of the best collegiate hockey players at the time. Boyle while no QB was an excellent example of what an oversized player can become. Additionally you left out David Steckle and Geo Parros (to name a few) since we are throwing names out there.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Since the 2016\2017 season

These are the goals\points stats including international tournaments.(no playoffs)

Alexis Lafrenière Oct 11, 2001
230 Games Played 159 Goals - 0.69 GPG
230 Games Played 405 Points - 1.76 PPG

Quinton Byfield Aug 19, 2002
193 Games Played 160 Goals - 0.83 GPG
193 Games Played 353 Points - 1.83 PPG

I think the Kings will do the right thing at the draft for #2

ricardfromage

Mar 5, 2020
paradise
Thanks for this.

Didn't get to watch the whole thing because I'm in a meeting :laugh::laugh:

Part of what I was talking about is illustrated in the first 5 minutes. Right around 2 minutes, QB is coming out of his own zone with the jump on 2 guys. He ends up being the last guy back in the zone behind his man, which with his stride and speed shouldn't happen. I get that it doesn't end up a huge deal, but if that bounce off the shot by #15 goes another way and they retain possession, QB's guy has a step on him and is in the high slot.

Another thing is at around 3:50 after he loses the 50/50 on the boards he peels back and kind of chases the puck a little, then coasts a bit and waves his stick at the guy who ends up passing it off and it's in the net. He's got to be more tenacious there, at that point there shouldn't be a gap and that pass that ended up the 2nd assist could have been prevented.

High expectations, yea. But that's the stuff that he needs to iron out. He's certainly not a project in my eyes, he's going to be dominant. Every guy except for Lafreniere is going to have some warts, I think QB is the least warty.

Part of his soft play that will need to be addressed if he is to develop into a star player in the NHL.

ricardfromage

Mar 5, 2020
paradise
Since the 2016\2017 season

These are the goals\points stats including international tournaments.(no playoffs)

Alexis Lafrenière Oct 11, 2001
230 Games Played 159 Goals - 0.69 GPG
230 Games Played 405 Points - 1.76 PPG

Quinton Byfield Aug 19, 2002
193 Games Played 160 Goals - 0.83 GPG
193 Games Played 353 Points - 1.83 PPG

I think the Kings will do the right thing at the draft for #2
One plays for the best team in his league and the other doesn't skewing those results pretty heavily. One plays in a league where offense comes first and foremost (the Q) and D is a sort of "nice" attribute for a player to have but not a necessity. The other plays in a league that prizes two way play and it is something that they aren't particularly great at. Just pointing it out.

I do think you make a great point though, now that Fut's is gone we will rely on Marky Mark (Yanetti) to lead the charge. I believe that he will be just fine and that is why I support whoever we select. Character is going to be a huge part of that decision so only the team will have any certainty as to who is better in that category.

ricardfromage

Mar 5, 2020
paradise
Yeah, Byfield isn't a project, he is just being labeled as such because he is younger and less developed, but to be honest, nobody knows until we draft the kid and put him through a training camp. For all we know, he makes the roster...
That is a very interesting point.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Alright, so I have yet to really see any of this overt criticism that people talk about with Byfield, so I decided to look back over the last 100 comments in his thread from the prospect board. I found 3 comments that may be construed as not overly pro-Byfield. One person said that he had Byfield lower on his list than others. Another said that he didn't see him becoming a Malkin, but thought he would be a good player. They were not exactly rude comments or overly critical. Maybe someone can link me to some of these comments tearing his game apart or being unfair, because I just haven't seen them.

Conversely I have read people on this board say to not draft Stutzle because of his nationality, because there are only a couple of Germans in the league. That would seem to be a pretty unfair comment.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
@ricardfromage

The idea that big players (I guess you are using 6'4" or maybe 6'5" as a cut-off) aren't in the Top 6 on teams is because it is rare to have someone that size who also has the requisite skill to be a Top 6 player. As for a current player, Tom Wilson comes to mind just off the top of my head. Love him or hate him, he is an impact player in this league and is, literally, a special weapon for the Caps.

You listed a bunch of players that were drafted in an era where size would be taken over skill in a lot of cases. Boyle was drafted out of high school. Steckel was drafted at 19 years old after putting up one point in seven games as a soon-to-be 19 year old at the WJC. Parros was drafted in a round that no longer exists and made the NHL as a fighter.

None of these guys have skills similar to Byfield. That's the whole point: dudes this size generally don't have this type of speed and hands. They might have a good shot but the skating is always the main thing that isn't totally there followed by a lack of hands. If they've put up decent numbers as teens, it is generally because they are bigger and bully their peers. You said it yourself that Byfield plays a soft game so then his fantastic OHL season is due to his skills and not because he's big and bullies guys.

You listed big dudes that were not taken at the top of the draft. I'll give you Joe Thornton, Ryan Getzlaf and Anze Kopitar. Thornton went 1OA but the other two dropped in regards to their final rankings leaving a lot of teams to kick themselves. I think the Kings will be kicking themselves if they pass on Byfield.

One last thing about Steckel. He put up 27 points in 43 games in the DEL as a 36 year old in 2018. Not far off from Stutzle's numbers. How slow must Steckel have been at that point yet he's over a half point a game in this league. The talent is clearly there with Stutzle but this "played against men" narrative is giving me Patrik Stefan IHL vibes. This league is a joke store. If the Kings take him, it better be based on believing in the talent and not letting the decision be colored too much by "he played against men".

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Actually, I would recommend reading the Stutzle thread and then the Byfield thread from the prospects board. They are polar opposites, Byfield is actually not critiqued at all, while Stutzle's is full of criticism.

I only went 100 comments back, but it started with people questioning his size, saying that he might be lying.
Then there was a video posted ranking him 4th and criticizing his ability to "think".
Someone calling him the new shiny toy and that it would be a "substantial mistake" to take him higher than 3rd.
Someone following that up by ranking him 6th. A couple people criticizing his shot.
Someone criticizing how many goals he scored.
Someone calling him the most likely of the top 3 to bust.
Someone criticizing his goals in the DEL to point out that he wouldn't even top 15 goals in the CHL.
Someone criticizing his "smarts".
Someone criticizing him because he played in the DEL.

It really is a different picture, but again I only looked at the last 100 comments, so things could have been different before.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
You say his size is a reason to be excited and that the problems that it presents is a thing of the past so please help me out, which 6'6" players are in the top 6 of any team today.
My question is how many players standing at 6’6” have had this talent at this age and busted? None. He’s unique. The reason it’s an unknown is that Elite players are outliers, 6’6” people are outliers and the 2 overlapping is a massive outlier. You make it a risk based on the unknown, but it’s a baseless fear. There was a point when a skilled 6’4” player was a risk and wouldn’t deliver and now, nobody blinks. Lemieux ended that thought process. Height was only a risk in the days of poor understanding of physique and body mechanics and that is no longer an issue. Players often struggle through growth spurts, certainly, but that doesn’t impact things long term.

As for Dach, he was thrown in too early imo but still did ok. He never had Byfields upside projection though but his success or failure won’t be down to his height.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
One plays for the best team in his league and the other doesn't skewing those results pretty heavily. One plays in a league where offense comes first and foremost (the Q) and D is a sort of "nice" attribute for a player to have but not a necessity. The other plays in a league that prizes two way play and it is something that they aren't particularly great at. Just pointing it out.

I do think you make a great point though, now that Fut's is gone we will rely on Marky Mark (Yanetti) to lead the charge. I believe that he will be just fine and that is why I support whoever we select. Character is going to be a huge part of that decision so only the team will have any certainty as to who is better in that category.

The stats are from the 2016/2017 season to this year. They were both in Triple A back then and worked their way into the OHL and the Q.
It just shows how much Byfield is on pace (state wise) with his development with the number 1 ranked prospect this year. And doing this while being almost a full year younger.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Who might that be? Who has said he was a project who has never seen him play? I can tell you also that he IS seen as a project by a few of the top scouts and scouting services around. That is what they mean when they say he will need to develop his game and to work hard at a few aspects of his overall play. It is also what is meant when they compare QB to Kopitar and then say "who better to learn how to emulate Kopitar's game then Kopitar himself. QB IS a project but so are most young players. I disagree with your implication here. Oh and Brian Boyle had just set a few records that remain unbroken to this day in Boston Highschool athletics. Most of them as a centre and as such offensively including a 12 point game (I believe it was 12). We made him a defenseman (stupid idea) changing his game when he was in college and he was seen as one of the best collegiate hockey players at the time. Boyle while no QB was an excellent example of what an oversized player can become. Additionally you left out David Steckle and Geo Parros (to name a few) since we are throwing names out there.

So, knowing how high you are on Rossi too--it strikes me as a little backwards that you rule QB out based on there aren't players that have done that at his height before, but don't rule Rossi out when there haven't been high end 5'9" centers drafted so high either. Brayden Point luckily bucked the trend but only recently and look how far he had to fall in the draft. The point is using only past precedent in a different league is dangerous thinking; but even then, I've never seen 'he's too big' to be a complaint, much less when one is that skilled.

And FWIW yes I was fighting for Rossi on the exact same basis, "no one's done it before" is a brutally terrible reason to not draft a player, especially when we're talking about literally not even a full inch (and depeding on where it was listed, literally a quarter inch--because I remember aruging with someone who wanted to to drop Rossi out of the top 10 because he was too small but was vouching for Perfetti being taken top 5, despite Rossi being listed at 5'9.5" and Perfetti 5"9.75"). It's a total fallacy because maybe Byfield is done putting on height, maybe Rossi ends up 6'0". And maybe an inch in either direction doesn't change their status as elite anyway.

Hell if we're putting people on DND for "no one's done it before" then Stutzle is just Marco Sturm 2.0 and why waste a high pick on him? No elite players have been drafted out of the DEL. And we should give Anze Kopitar back while we're at it.

Overall the point is everyone outside Laf carries degrees of risk and I feel like it's only the hyperanalysis of Byfield and Stutzle that's making people scared, I guarantee if Lafreniere weren't in the draft this year we'd be in a Hall/Seguin "neither guy has faults" situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyclones22

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
So I have been some comments made that there isn't a flaw in Stutzle's game. I found some very good breakdown footage from eliteprospects that show where Stutzle struggles and where he is going to need to make improvements. The point of this is not to convince you Stutzle is worse than Byfield or anything like that. That is an opinion you should make on your own. It can be better to focus on what a player can improve on rather than what they can already do. Stutzle is a top tier prospect, but that doesn't mean we can't take a look at his weaknesses.

Stutzle's poor devision making:
Example 1
While being a phenomenal passer and playmaker, Stutzle often fails to identify opportunities for himself or teammates to cut towards the slot. This is why a lot of people argue that Stutzle is a perimeter player. In the first example, we see him forcefully go out to the perimeter rather than cut through the middle, despite the defenseman fully and wrongly committing to pressuring the perimeter. Instead of moving play towards the slot, Stutzle lightens his glide to lose the speed he needs. Its a flashy play that wasn't useful. He then makes 2 puck handles into the defender which ultimately pushed him wide. In the second example in this clip, Stutzle does the sam thing where he slows himself into a glide, relies on using his stickhandling, and his decision turns into a turnover. We will see more poor decision making in the other clips.

Stutzle's handle first, pass/shoot later fixation:
Example 2
In the first clip, we see a complete defensive breakdown where Stutzle finds himself at the top of 3 on 1. Once he receives the pass, he fails to recognize that his winger is completely open, and instead (again poor decision making) stickhandles into the goalie. At this point, he should have either shot or pass to his teammate. Stickhandling is probably the worst decision here, other than passing it to the point or something that completely wipes the play. In the 2nd clip, we once again see Stutzle have an opportunity to push the puck towards the slot, but instead, he chooses to skate and handle his way towards the goalie and ultimately remain on the perimeter. Instead of even getting a shot off at that point, he skates around the net, to the point, and turnsover the puck. In the final clip, he enters the zone, and instead of pushing it toward the slot, or even placing it a good spot where his team can cycle, he makes a blind pass behind him and turns over the puck (more of a decision making issue than stick handling issue, would move this to example 1 if I could).

Example 3
Example 3 shows several other instances of him overhanding the puck instead of making the correct passes.

Stutzle's lack of deception in his playmaking and shooting:
Example 4
In these clips, it demonstrates Stutzle's inability to make deceptive plays, which ultimately make both his shooting and playmaking less effective. He stares at his target, his body language either shows that he is fully committed to a pass or shot, and it is something he needs to improve. I think clip 1 explains itself good enough. Clip 2 focuses more of him being less threatening by making an early cross ice pass rather than driving play towards the net, on again demonstrating his push for perimeter play. I will try and find more clips of that demonstrate this. I have seen them, just need to look them up again.

Stutzle inability to be a scoring threat:
Example 5
Clip 5 shows Stutzle inability be a scoring threat. Simply put, he is often awkward or does not position himself in good ice to be an offensive threat. Not surprising considering he is a playmaker first. Also need to look up footage of his shooting opportunities. They are not good. Stutzle is shooting 5% in the DEL when Reichel and John-Jason Peterka are shooting 17% and 11% in the same league, respectively. Watch this highlight video. It does a good job at showing both his strengths at passing, but if you keep the listed points above, those issues become more glaring. Its a good video showing both is strengths and weaknesses.

Exactly. I scoffed when I read "only 82 points in 45 games". The Lukeman has been one of my favorite posters in this thread. Dropping charts and stats like loose change. The numbers don't lie. The kid is a monster production-wise. Another Lukeman research tidbit that seemingly gets glossed over: "Reminder that Byfield was #1 in the OHL last season in scoring goals and primary assists per 60 minutes of play. You don't do that playing as a 17 yo and not have talent.".

Thanks I am glad that these posts can be helpful. I recently tested positive for Covid-19 (thankfully I am asymptomatic) so I have been unable to go to work. Extra free time to do deeper analysis. I am trying to put together some footage showing off both Stutzle's and Byfield's strengths and weaknesses. Kind of glad that we are picking 2nd instead of 1st, or else I would have nothing to do haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad