Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
I do consider a number of things (or did in my post) based on my own personal experience(s) but then so do you. You say his size is a reason to be excited and that the problems that it presents is a thing of the past so please help me out, which 6'6" players are in the top 6 of any team today. I know that the BlackHawks drafted a kid last year who is 6'5" in Dach but it is way to early to say that he is going to be anything more than a useful top 6 player which is a very very good thing by the way. So there is one sort of. I have looked and don't see any others but then let's say that the 17yo 6'4" dynamo that had a "good" season in the OHL this year stays at his current height and doesn't continue to grow as he has the past two years. He would then be a legit top 6 threat without any of the drawbacks that larger players tend to experience.

All players may bust and I said as much in my post so I don't see any need to rehash that but I do want to point out that you say that the oversize player problem is a thing of the past but then your examples of oversize players are ML who was 6'4" the size where I said seems to be the cutoff for large players before they become oversized and then you list Arnott who was under 6'5" by two tenths of an inch according to his bio. The thing about them also is that they played years and years ago or in your words "the past". I guess it was a little confusing or something but I get where you are coming from.

I would also like to talk about QB's play in two categories. Firstly is his very soft game. For his size he should be dropping/plowing through most of his competition and at times he does but that is really mostly in the Ozone. Not saying he is bad in his own zone but he isn't anything special. Additionally I would also point out that QB is a bit of a floater everywhere but in the Ozone. I am not saying that the kid isn't a pretty good player in spurts in his own zone but he needs a shit tonne of improvement in that category like most young players do. Just pointing out the obvious.

So, I guess my position regarding QB is that he lacks any truly elite skillset and is merely good to very good in a few areas of his game and that to me is the rub. I think he will be a highly valuable top 6 forward (hopefully a centre but that will take time to see) when everything is said and done but we are drafting at the #2 position and in this deep of a draft I think that we should be looking for the most elite player at their position that we could select (providing that their character meets with ours etc). It is why I say that Askarov should be considered at the #3 pick or at least by #5. He is among the best goalie prospects that I have seen come along in years and easily the best goalie of this and the last draft AIAEC. If he wasn't from Russia he would be in the top 3 for sure this year but he is and that makes him a bit of a problem and it would have to be worked out the best way possible prior to the draft and even then it could be a problem.

So imo the best player available at 2 is Stutzle but I believe that we will draft QB for lots of reasons, some that I don't agree with and some that I do. I will be way geeked when we do draft him and hope to see him in two or three years in our top 6. IF he puts it all together he could be very scary. I just think that Stutzle has a greater chance of putting it all together than QB does but once a King always a King. I posted a similar thread in 02 here I think and believe it was regarding Scott Barney but it doesn't really matter who it was. The player didn't make it and that is alright, it happens. So I have a similar feeling regarding QB and that is alright by me. I like being proven wrong when it happens, great learning experience and in this case if it happens then we get a stud of a giant in our top 6. How can that be a bad thing?

Oh and I have a couple of sort of recent Kings who were dominant before their draft (offensively) and ended up being serviceable 2nd/3rd line players in the NHL. The first is Brian Boyle. He came of a Boston record setting offensive year before his draft and ended up a serviceable player in the NHL. He never played a soft game and was/is a really all heart sort of player. David Steckle was also oversized and he had a nice little career though he was never considered to be a dynamo before his draft year (I think he was taken 23rd in the 1st round but I am not certain). He was said to have a very good offensive game but became more of a grinder in the NHL. There is also George Parros who much like Steckle was seen as one thing coming out of Princeton (or was it Yale?) but ended up being a solid two way forward for a little bit and then settling in to becoming a bit of a goon.

Not saying that any of these guys are close in skill or potential to QB (accept for Boyle sort of), just saying that oversized players even recently tend to have a much tougher road. Of course it is all speculation but then that is where I see the risk/reward scenario with QB. I don't want us to risk anything at all with the #2pick and would rather we draft the more talented player without as much risk but like I said, we will draft QB so it is all a moo point. Like a cow.

Oh and we should keep the fact that Stutzle played in a mens pro league this year and had an exceptional campaign. Just think that it should be part of the conversation is all.

Your point valid but it's half baked. You are right about the reason why we don't see a lot of successful big mans in the NHL. Typically, big men often rely on size and strength to overcome skill and speed. However, there comes a point where the size is not enough to cover the skill and speed. That is the very thing that Byfield has which makes him so unique. He has the size, skill, and speed to become a great NHL player.

Think Evgeni Malkin. Incredibly skilled despite being 6'4. Malkin is a perfect comparable for Byfield. Don't believe me? Here is a scout's quote when Malkin was drafted "A good skater with good balance and speed. Has a very good slapshot and a fast wrist shot. Has good hands and very good stickhandling. An excellent passer who knows how to open the game. Not a very physical player." Byfield has an elite shot (shooting 27% in the OHL). Good hands and stickhandling. Byfield has a great passer. And oh? He also isn't very physical.

Also, I don't know where notion of Byfield not having an elite skillset comes from. What skills are not elite? His playmaking? Byfield had 50 assists in 43 games with 0 NHL talent on is team. He lead the league in primary assists per 60 minutes (Yes even better than Rossi). Is his stickhandling is not elite? You don't just casually score several goals between your legs. Is his shot is not elite? He was shooting 27% this season? Is his skating is not elite? This is the opposite of every single scouting report out there. Is his vision/hockey IQ is not elite? I would argue they are. Is his defensive game is not elite? I can agree with this point, but his team was allowing 27% less goals when he was on the ice vs when he was off the ice. What other skillset is there that is not covered by those points?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'm pretty sure the extent of Luc's responsibilities in his role with the Kings back in 2008 was limited to picking out the logos on the beer cups at Staples. Not likely he had Dean's ear on the matter, gotta lot more swing now though.
I can tell you for sure the Robitaille's were not fans of Dean Lombardi.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'm not saying it is happening on this particular board, but I do believe there is an element of truth to Pronman's belief that there is a little bit of "Black QB" stuff being tossed at Byfield.

The main prospects board is a real interesting place in regards to Byfield. His own thread hasn't been posted in for nine days now, which is surprising for a guy in the 2/3OA discussion. What you do see, however, is a lot of posters choosing him as the bust of the draft in multiple threads.

I just read one poster saying he thinks Byfield "won't bust completely" but will be a player that "oozes skill but wants you leaving more". No problem with that, but then he goes on to say "Not saying he'll be an Anthony or Chris Stewart level player". Yikes. His game is nothing like those two so I wonder why that comparison is made...

I'm not an SJW and I'm not on the Woke Train. There is just this narrative taking hold of Byfield having a low hockey IQ but the tape doesn't back it up. You have people on HF saying he'll bust because "of his brains" and you can tell they haven't done the research. Like, is a Blues fan studying the top of the 2020 draft? Probably not, but he knows that Byfield has a poor brain.

People can deny that it is a thing, but who are your best black players in NHL history? Are they #1 centers or are they generally power forward wings?

I'm not saying he has an amazing hockey IQ but I'm also saying I don't see why it is described as low or poor. I don't think that the Kings scouting staff is impacted by this line of thinking since they've already drafted a black center that isn't a power-forward type in Thomas (who fell in the draft) but you are kidding yourself if this isn't painting some people's opinions in the hockey world.
I don't see an amazing ability in Byfield to anticipate the game. What I do see is a strong skating and stick handling center who when he goes on the attack, presses his advantage until the defense breaks down. Byfield definitely has the skill to make great passes, and possesses a shot and a shoot-first mentality which forces the defense to commit to defending him. He runs Sudbury's powerplay from the point, and a junior coach doesn't give that responsibility to a 17-year old if he can't pass and shoot the puck efficiently.

Reactions: salami and BigKing

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
So the kings are going BPA and not drafting for need... Do any other teams still draft for need?

This is not to say who has Byfield at #1OA, but rather would a team without a top notch center bypass the BPA and go for need?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Rob Blake brought up a great point on his appearance on The Mayor's podcast, bringing up how often the Canadian national teams would be loaded with centers who can play wing.

You look at the 1987 Canada Cup, the game winning goal was scored with Gretzky, Lemieux and Hawerchuk all on the ice. You'd see Sakic, Yzerman, Lindros, Nieuwendyk, Peca all skate as wingers on these loaded rosters. More recently, the likes of Eric Staal, Patrice Bergeron, Mike Richards played wing at the Olympics.

We already know Jeff Carter can take shifts as a RW and he's also got two years left on his contract. Besides Kopitar, you have Vilardi and Lizotte as the likely locks at center, with Carter and Amadio as the other options to round out the 4/5 centers the team will ice next season.

Of all the prospects currently in the system, I think Jaret Anderson-Dolan might win a spot as a 3/4 center. I'd much prefer him over the softer Amadio.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Rob Blake brought up a great point on his appearance on The Mayor's podcast, bringing up how often the Canadian national teams would be loaded with centers who can play wing.

You look at the 1987 Canada Cup, the game winning goal was scored with Gretzky, Lemieux and Hawerchuk all on the ice. You'd see Sakic, Yzerman, Lindros, Nieuwendyk, Peca all skate as wingers on these loaded rosters. More recently, the likes of Eric Staal, Patrice Bergeron, Mike Richards played wing at the Olympics.

We already know Jeff Carter can take shifts as a RW and he's also got two years left on his contract. Besides Kopitar, you have Vilardi and Lizotte as the likely locks at center, with Carter and Amadio as the other options to round out the 4/5 centers the team will ice next season.

Of all the prospects currently in the system, I think Jaret Anderson-Dolan might win a spot as a 3/4 center. I'd much prefer him over the softer Amadio.

Kopitar - Vilardi - JAD - Lizotte is an enticing middle of the roster.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
An interesting quote I found on the prospect board.

We are excited to officially name Quinton Byfield as an Alternate Captain of our team,” said Sudbury Wolves Head Coach Cory Stillman. “His work ethic on the ice is the driving force behind our team every game.”
-January 2020

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
To follow-up on Ziggy's point above regarding Blake's recent Mayor comment: (imo) If the Kings select Stutzle, then it's because they believe he can & will play center in the NHL. If they view him as a LW only, I just don't see how they can pass up Byfield.

Reactions: Rorschach

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Returning member after a decade hiatus here.....Cant go wrong with Byfield or Stutz. I like Byfield a bit more myself- with his size, skill, playing on a team with subpar surrounding teammates...hes a cant miss IMO. Add to it had he been born 1 month later he clearly would have been the #1 overall pick in next years draft. With that in mind he could be an elite center bordering on the generational talent level. With the influx of other forwards in the pipeline and the questionable status of Vilardi- this pick is a no brainer and gives us a powerhouse amount of scary forward depth I dont think a lot of team could match.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If things even come close to working out, the only place Lizotte will have on this team in 2 years is as a healthy scratch. So many centers.

Even if he's just 4th line wing, Lizotte's a really really useful forechecker. It would take literally every prospect hitting their ceiling to push him out imo. Little engine that could.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
If things even come close to working out, the only place Lizotte will have on this team in 2 years is as a healthy scratch. So many centers.

It will be interesting if Vilardi stays in the middle, and that's not an indictment of his center play. Best thing about the kid as he seems to be able to play anywhere, and at the least it will give coaches flexibility later in games.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
It will be interesting if Vilardi stays in the middle, and that's not an indictment of his center play. Best thing about the kid as he seems to be able to play anywhere, and at the least it will give coaches flexibility later in games.

You're not wrong, it's possible that in 23-24 (Kopi's walk year) they have Byfield (for the sake of argument) - Turcotte - Kopitar - JAD down the middle, relegating some combination of Vilardi, Thomas, Kupari & Madden to the wing.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Imagine what a monster a 35 year old Kopitar would be as a 2c or 3c. That's a championship caliber team.

It was an interesting thought exercise if not realistic when we had those "kopi to the Avs" trade threads. Just imagine Mac running around unchecked and a prime Kopitar as 2c. That's Crosby-Malkin status.

Obviously I'm guessing he'll have lost a little by then but look at how effective even an injured Zetterberg was in his later years, and that's Kopitar in a nutshell imo.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I
I think Kopitar's game will age well. He's going to be productive for a long time but not at 21 freaking minutes a game. Kopi should not have to play that many minutes. Some of these kids are going to have to turn into very good penalty killers. Those are hard minutes for an older player.

I have Turcotte fulfilling one of the PK roles, which is why I don’t want to trade him for 5th overall or whatever.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
To follow-up on Ziggy's point above regarding Blake's recent Mayor comment: (imo) If the Kings select Stutzle, then it's because they believe he can & will play center in the NHL. If they view him as a LW only, I just don't see how they can pass up Byfield.

In the videos I.hav watched he seems to lose a lot of face offs and plays the wing on the power play, does anyone know his Percentage from last year in the DEL

KrazyKings

May 16, 2010
Southern California
Put me in the category of Team Byfield. To me the end game potential is just too much to pass up on and it seems that Yanetti sees it too. It’s wrong to say that I’d be upset if they drafted Stutzle because it truly does seem that we cannot go wrong either way... but it’s Byfield or bust for me!

I wonder how close this is in the HF tier prospect rankings comparative to 2008 with guys like Doughty and Bogosian as far as their predraft Potential/Probability grade and the value at 2nd overall. I remember those guys being neck and neck and we all know who had the better career there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad