Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
Actually, my mistake for not clarifying - My post was speculating what L.A. does with the #2 pick if they decide they want Raymond. Do they just take him then or consider moving down a spot or two expecting Ottawa/Detroit would jump at taking Byfield?

Oh my bad. Well it’s kind of hard to say. If we asked Ottawa for 3, I doubt they will trade because they will know we don’t want to draft Byfield. They will get their player regardless if we traded or not.

Could trade for 4, but I don’t know how many assets Detroit will have to make the deal worth it.

If we traded for 5, I believe there is a high probability that Raymond is gone, so it may not be worth the risk.

I would assume LA stays at 2 if they wanted Raymond. There isn’t a scenario where I see LA trading down.

Aight, Byfield better start the season in the NHL

I would say it’s 50/50 Byfield stays on the roster and doesn’t get sent down. He would be one of the youngest players to wear a kings uniform. He does have areas of his game that need to mature more, specifically on the defensive side of the puck. But next season is supposed to start in Dec, so we could see a heavily improved Byfield.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
With COVID still dominating how society and interactions, I would not be shocked if Byfield is drafted at #2 is in the NHL to start for the basic fact that the NHL would be more prepared for some sort of restart than the OHL. At least he can get professional training and coaching for a good chunk of time while also getting to know potential future teammates and the coaching staff. What if the OHL delays its start past the NHL restart and you've got a bunch of kids just relegated to training on their own? I'd rather he be in LA under any circumstance than a more uncertain situation in Juniors.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If Byfield is the pick, I hope the Kings don't feel obligated to make him a full time NHLer just because of his draft position.

Due to his age, COVID, and injury, he'd probably be one of the least experienced 2nd OA picks in history. Nothing wrong with having him play a few NHL games and sending him back to junior.

If you don't burn a year off his ELC, and he starts his full time NHL career in 21-22, his contract would end the same year as Kopitar's.

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
I like Raymond a lot too but its hard to imagine a scenario where Kings pass on Byfield, move down a couple of notches max and get Raymond plus pick/prospect.

Package really has to be overwhelming to make me pass on QB at this time.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
If Byfield is the pick, I hope the Kings don't feel obligated to make him a full time NHLer just because of his draft position.

Due to his age, COVID, and injury, he'd probably be one of the least experienced 2nd OA picks in history. Nothing wrong with having him play a few NHL games and sending him back to junior.

If you don't burn a year off his ELC, and he starts his full time NHL career in 21-22, his contract would end the same year as Kopitar's.
Byfield will start NHL career no later than 19...least experienced what does that mean even?When Byfield hits LA for good he's going to be a monster
BHVGCAZVZRA4TFISYFGKOSH2NU.jpg

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
This team needs top line players. We were in the mix last year for Hughes and Kakko, lottery went south for us, almost had Laffy this year but picken' 2nd... we better not mess this up.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Simpin' for Quinton

If a one dimensional player like Kakko can make the NHL on his first year so can Byfield.

KK was already playing pro in Finland, was a February birthday and is kind of already in his "man body".

He tore up the Liiga and the World Championships in his draft year playing against men. Proceeds to put up a -26 on the Rangers which is far and away the worst on the team. As you can imagine, the 20 worst +/- list for last season looks like most of Detroit's roster but then there is KK at 8th worst, tied with Hughes of all people.

Now, the argument can be made for him that he was better off developing in the NHL since he already was crushing his native country's pro league. While the Kings could release Byfield to go play in the WJC, his late birthday and "rawness" would probably be better suited to not developing in the NHL right away.

I mean, Andy Andreoff has skated around for this team in the last few years so it isn't like Byfield can't play for the Kings next season, it's just more of a question of if he should. I'd rather they play the game where they give him the nine game appetizer and let him do his 18 year old OHL/WJC thing while not burning off a year of his contract.

Just to note on Kakko...there is a guy that crushed his pro league even more than Stutzle with Liiga being much better than the DEL. Then a great WC against men. He sure did step right in to the NHL but look at the results. Just something to think about for those salivating at the thought of plugging Stutzle in next season expecting magic. If you prefer Stutzle with a huge part of the reasoning being immediate gratification for the 2021 season, your reasoning is flawed.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Immediate gratification ftw.

Always hear from kings fans "CaNt Make NHL Bro, needs a season or ten in the O!!!"

2nd overall can join the team. Doughty did and he was fine. Bet all y'all overcook the meals you make. Smh.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
What? That's not what that chart says at all. Byfield's primary points per game were second only to Laf. That doesn't mean Byfield doesn't elevate his team/linemates, it means he's a carrier:

"The Sudbury center racked up points in the OHL. He finished the year 14th in points despite missing 18 games due to a combination of injury and the World Juniors. And even still, the Ontario native led the Wolves in scoring and was the player driving the bus for the Wolves. When Byfield was out, the Wolves were outscored 32-19, but with the dominant center in the lineup, the team was well better off, outscoring their opponents 240-208."

He had 11 points in 6 games before the injury, then as soon as he came back, they won 4 of 5, with 8 more points in 5 games.

See, I like these numbers. Team turnaround is one of the best numbers to have, a la David Robinson joining the Spurs.
What he provided was yet another projection of a 17 year old. I've been following baseball prospects since 1980 and hockey prospects since 1990, putting my money down on investing in rookie baseball and hockey cards...I'm really wary of projections of partial seasons of very young players playing in junior leagues...the number of failed prospects with amazing first half numbers and nothing else is endless. Only recently as a Braves fan we were drooling over our own prospect pool and 17 year old Kevin Maitan. When his rookie card came out, it was over $150...now that card is like $30. I just don't want to spend the #2OA on that big of a chance.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If you pick QB, let him stay in the O for as long as he can, then you bring him up to Ontario. Kid needs to develop at a pace that's not super stressful for him, where he doesn't need to be the "guy". Let him develop.

Kinda agree but he's already 'the guy.' I'd like him to get a taste of NHL action and mentoring but he does need to be in a starring role and that might be best served elsewhere.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Immediate gratification ftw.

Always hear from kings fans "CaNt Make NHL Bro, needs a season or ten in the O!!!"

2nd overall can join the team. Doughty did and he was fine. Bet all y'all overcook the meals you make. Smh.

So you can be like all these stoked Rangers fan right now.

Nobody they pick at 2OA is putting them in the playoffs next season so it doesn't matter. That's the point. Stow your f***ing entertainment value and see the forest through the trees.

I'm actually spending real money on tickets for next season right now and I don't give two shits about the pick playing next season. There are enough other prospects to entertain us. Shit...Vilardi has played like ten f***ing games!

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
If you pick QB, let him stay in the O for as long as he can, then you bring him up to Ontario. Kid needs to develop at a pace that's not super stressful for him, where he doesn't need to be the "guy". Let him develop.

So I am on the slow play Byfield bandwagon. But slow playing the second overall. Is 1 year. Lets be honest. If he isn't in the NHL after 1 more year. Then something went terribly terribly wrong.

Reactions: BigKing

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

Did Kopitar die that Byfield would be "the guy"? Is there anyone better to teach Byfield than Kopitar?

You let Byfield start since he's dominated his peers or is he not as good as some people say he is. He's not joining a team that he'd be forced to be the backbone of. Why are some of you so pro sheltering rather than actually give players of "elite" caliber prove that they're not ready for the NHL rather than deciding for them

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
I've said it before but whomever we get needs to go back whether it's Byfield or Stutzle. Don't feel either kid is ready. I'd rather they go back get stronger and come in next year.
Thats very unrealistic and unnecessary

Nothing compares to NHL experience and Byfield and Stutzle arent small

The idea of players always benefitting more from being sent down for an entire season or more is overblown because its for 99% of the draft. Top-3 picks and sometimes bigger bodies/foreign pros in the top-10 making their teams late in the season or to start is normal and expected and good for them.

Ill reiterate / NOTHING is like the NHL experience. The training, nutrition, daily lifestyle, practice, games, coaching, etc etc..

Unless your player has confidence issues or specifically asks to go to a foreign pro league for a year - if they can make the team they should. My Devils’ Jack Hughes is tiny and his experience this year outweighs what hed have gotten in college by miles and miles. Nobody thought hed be any good (and he had a bad year admittedly) yet he was a top-5 player in zone exits and entries and had some highlight reel goals as someone who ‘cant score’.

Byfield and Stutzle can most certainly start from day 1 and I find both to be mature enough to do so

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Thats very unrealistic and unnecessary

Nothing compares to NHL experience and Byfield and Stutzle arent small

The idea of players always benefitting more from being sent down for an entire season or more is overblown because its for 99% of the draft. Top-3 picks and sometimes bigger bodies/foreign pros in the top-10 making their teams late in the season or to start is normal and expected and good for them.

Ill reiterate / NOTHING is like the NHL experience. The training, nutrition, daily lifestyle, practice, games, coaching, etc etc..

Unless your player has confidence issues or specifically asks to go to a foreign pro league for a year - if they can make the team they should. My Devils’ Jack Hughes is tiny and his experience this year outweighs what hed have gotten in college by miles and miles. Nobody thought hed be any good (and he had a bad year admittedly) yet he was a top-5 player in zone exits and entries and had some highlight reel goals as someone who ‘cant score’.

Byfield and Stutzle can most certainly start from day 1 and I find both to be mature enough to do so

Some people on the Kings board I think are just used to this idea of development beyond the confines of reason. Players who go this high, and are by all metrics considered to be elite only benefit by playing in the NHL.

And let's say he does bad, then you can send him down rather than illogically start him out of the NHL.

During these times, Byfield has more time to prepare for the NHL game and regiment since the season is supposedly starting in December.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Did Kopitar die that Byfield would be "the guy"? Is there anyone better to teach Byfield than Kopitar?

You let Byfield start since he's dominated his peers or is he not as good as some people say he is. He's not joining a team that he'd be forced to be the backbone of. Why are some of you so pro sheltering rather than actually give players of "elite" caliber prove that they're not ready for the NHL rather than deciding for them

Does next season end in an odd or even year? Therein lies the answer to your question.

Reactions: BigKing

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Some people on the Kings board I think are just used to this idea of development beyond the confines of reason. Players who go this high, and are by all metrics considered to be elite only benefit by playing in the NHL.

And let's say he does bad, then you can send him down rather than illogically start him out of the NHL.

During these times, Byfield has more time to prepare for the NHL game and regiment since the season is supposedly starting in December.

To be fair, he's nearly a hockey year younger than a 'normal' high pick as well. He will be 17 until the usual training camp time.

Not that I truly disagree generally speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad