• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong, but these WJC highlights in the Czech Republic last year all look like NHL regulation ice to me.

Hybrid. I think it was discussed during the tournament. Same size they use in Finland.
91. something feet by 200, nhl is 80 by 200, and international is 100 by 200

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
Just remember that in the world juniors Germany found their way into the relegation round and played Kazakhstan 3 of their 7 games because of it. Stutzle got to play a major role on a real top heavy German team where he benefited from getting the nice bonus of playing lots of minutes and playing with really talented players.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
Correct me if I'm wrong, but these WJC highlights in the Czech Republic last year all look like NHL regulation ice to me.

Man this kid has some amazing creativity and playmaking ability. I also don't think this video does justice for Stutzle's defensive abilities and forechecking. Kid is tenacious. He will make a great PP QB in the NHL someday. He looks so comfortable with the puck on his stick on the PP. Imagine once he starts moving away from the perimeter. He is going to be something special.

On the other side, wow that shot needs some work. Right now, that shot would not cut it in the NHL. Also wished he showed some more of these skills and IQ in the offensive zone when not on the power play. He looks a lot more comfortable on the power play than he does 5v5. He was playing with players older than him, so I am not going to hold that against him yet.

Just like Byfield, he has some work to do to perfect his raw tools. Though I think this WJC video shows he is more NHL ready than Byfield. IMO I still don't think he is NHL ready though. Yes he could keep up, but there is a difference between keeping up and being a successful. Think Kopitar's rookie season for someone who was successful and contributing. I don't think Stutzle is there yet. I think it would be better for his development to spend another season in Europe than it would in the NHL.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Man this kid has some amazing creativity and playmaking ability. I also don't think this video does justice for Stutzle's defensive abilities and forechecking. Kid is tenacious. He will make a great PP QB in the NHL someday. He looks so comfortable with the puck on his stick on the PP. Imagine once he starts moving away from the perimeter. He is going to be something special.

On the other side, wow that shot needs some work. Right now, that shot would not cut it in the NHL. Also wished he showed some more of these skills and IQ in the offensive zone when not on the power play. He looks a lot more comfortable on the power play than he does 5v5. He was playing with players older than him, so I am not going to hold that against him yet.

Just like Byfield, he has some work to do to perfect his raw tools. Though I think this WJC video shows he is more NHL ready than Byfield. IMO I still don't think he is NHL ready though. Yes he could keep up, but there is a difference between keeping up and being a successful. Think Kopitar's rookie season for someone who was successful and contributing. I don't think Stutzle is there yet. I think it would be better for his development to spend another season in Europe than it would in the NHL.

Apparently getting shots has not been a problem for Stutzle. Obviously, his accuracy and power of the shot needs a lot of work. It's my chief concern, but not something impossible to improve upon and overcome. Now if the DEL somehow starts before the draft and he starts potting goals, then we're cooking with fire.

Stutzle is going to need to consistently score 20 to 25 goals a season in a few years to go along with 50+ assists to justify his draft position if the Kings select him. Marner-type production is best case, but Marner also has ridiculously good finishers on the ice with him as well. You have to be a threat to score to truly be elite and that's what we want at #2.

Another year in the DEL won't be as beneficial as going to the AHL. I suspect that's where he'll be when the season restarts. Get to know his future teammates and get used to the smaller ice surface.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I think it would be better for his development to spend another season in Europe than it would in the NHL.

"A 17-year-old runs their powerplay and it's the best in the league by a mile." - Gord Miller from posted video.

I'm pretty sure Mannheim would be very happy if the Kings sent him back for another year. :)

I do agree with your points, there's a bit of work to be done (imo, nothing that raises flags) but he's clearly an extremely confident player in there against men and whether he takes another year to develop or not, he's a special talent.

verbalkint47

Heroes and Villans
Aug 12, 2009
Emerald State
tumblr_mntuwiZxrs1rlo1q2o1_1280.jpg

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
Apparently getting shots has not been a problem for Stutzle. Obviously, his accuracy and power of the shot needs a lot of work. It's my chief concern, but not something impossible to improve upon and overcome. Now if the DEL somehow starts before the draft and he starts potting goals, then we're cooking with fire.

Accuracy doesn't appear to be a problem. He's got a knack for putting it where the goalie isn't and for making the goalie go where he's not supposed to go. Goalies won't really give up so many holes in the NHL. Stutzle needs some power to his shot.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The one thing I like about Stuzle which is a big deal to me is that he's got great hands and dangling ability. Kings need someone who can create space by puckhandling. I'm sure he's no Kane but to have someone have that kind of ability opens up the ice for others.

I feel like Vilardi and Turcotte don't really have that kind of a skillset but they're more similar to Byfield which is why I lean more towards Stuzle. Based on more of a need.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
The one thing I like about Stuzle which is a big deal to me is that he's got great hands and dangling ability. Kings need someone who can create space by puckhandling. I'm sure he's no Kane but to have someone have that kind of ability opens up the ice for others.

I feel like Vilardi and Turcotte don't really have that kind of a skillset but they're more similar to Byfield which is why I lean more towards Stuzle. Based on more of a need.

A guy that is 6’5 will play around 230 and is a great skater with a better shot and high skill also opens up room. In fact I would argue he opens up more room.

Turcotte can skate but is tiny. Vilardi is big but doesn’t skate as well. Combine the strengths of both and you have a Byfield.

I like both. The more I watch Stutzle’s shot the more I worry. Byfield for his size can turn on a dime and stick handle in a phone booth and has very soft hands to go along with a great shot. I just feel Stutzle needs a lot of work on that shot to beat NHL goalies.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
A guy that is 6’5 will play around 230 and is a great skater with a better shot and high skill also opens up room. In fact I would argue he opens up more room.

Turcotte can skate but is tiny. Vilardi is big but doesn’t skate as well. Combine the strengths of both and you have a Byfield.

I like both. The more I watch Stutzle’s shot the more I worry. Byfield for his size can turn on a dime and stick handle in a phone booth and has very soft hands to go along with a great shot. I just feel Stutzle needs a lot of work on that shot to beat NHL goalies.

I get that but usually when players get bigger and bulk, they slow down.

The more videos I watch about Byfield as his goal scoring production is in bulk off the rush or transition. He's not gonna get many oddman rushes in the NHL. I see Stutzle working cycles more efficiently. It's all opinion for me and I'm probably wrong. I just don't know if the Kings need a Kopitar lite or a dude with Kanes skillset minus the shot.

His shot needs work yes but I watch Stutzle just weave through beautifully.

I like Byfield but he's more of a straight line player. I just don't know if that's ideal for the Kings.

Kings need a high level dangler.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Just watching Stutzle again, man.. This guy is a master in tight spaces. If this guys shot gets better, man oh man.

I watch Byfield play and his goals are so much off the transition that it makes me worry about his production in the NHL.

This is a real tough choice. Think the Kings need a player as agile as this. The Kings are so well known for having straight line players and Byfield is a straight line skater with OK agility. Stutzles agility is insane.

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
For me, the choice is not that hard. Image below is best PPG in the OHL since 2010. Byfield ranks 6th. Of the 17 players on this list that have made it to the NHL, 8 are considered top players in the NHL and only 3 failed to really make the NHL. And he is on the higher end of this list.

On top of that, Byfield only played 5 games in the last 1/3rd of his season (5 games since feb 7), and is the youngest player on this list. So his 1.82 PPG represents former part of his development, rather than the latter. He is doing this in a league with deep history of developing players. All of this screams top tier talent.

I don't know how but Byfield' shot is somehow underrated. He had a 27% shooting percentage. He doesn't have a good shot, he has a GREAT shot. Only can think of Holtz and Quinn who clearly have a better shot.

Every single player in the top 10, except Quinton Byfield, had at least 1 other 1st or 2nd round talent on their team. Byfield played with 1 drafted player, 6th round pick Blake Murray (they played on 2 separate lines).

All the data analytics look great for Byfield. In Scouching's analytics, Byfield has the highest NHLes score (yes higher than Lafreniere), which adjusts a player's league, age, and raw production to make a comparable analysis. When Byfield on the ice, his team is scoring 35% more goals and allowing 27% less goals than when he is not on the ice. Stats from Pick224 and HockeyPC on twitter showed that Byfield was 1st in the OHL in G per 60 minutes played and primary assists per 60 minutes played.

People who point out Byfield's production mainly comes from transition plays forget that the OHL is a transition league and a majority of goals are scored on either the rush or PP. Odds are, you heard someone hear from Draft Dynasty about his concerns, and made now its a major argument point. Yet, that argument was never brought up for Connor McDavid, Mitch Marner, Matthew Tkachuk, DeBrincat, Yakupov, Svechnikov, etc despite them doing the same thing. Don't believe me. Here is a bunch of player highlights from their ohl seasons:
McDavid
Marner
Strome
Tkachuk
Svechnikov
Must I go on?

The way I see it, this debate is like the Svechnikov/Zadina debate. It was so obvious that Svechnikov was the #2 pick, yet there was so much debate about who should go at #2. I like Stutzle, he has potential to be a PP quarterback and be an elite winger, but Byfield has the potential to be a #1 franchise center. Stutzle does not attack the center of the ice enough to play center in the NHL. The majority of his production comes from playing perimeter on the power play. He takes advantage of the extra ice in the international rinks, where he can skate his way into a gorgeous passing play. He won't have the space like he does in the DEL.

Also these are opinions, I'm not trying to say you're wrong. I'm just trying to say how I feel.

Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 12.32.14 AM.png

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I get that but usually when players get bigger and bulk, they slow down.

The more videos I watch about Byfield as his goal scoring production is in bulk off the rush or transition. He's not gonna get many oddman rushes in the NHL. I see Stutzle working cycles more efficiently. It's all opinion for me and I'm probably wrong. I just don't know if the Kings need a Kopitar lite or a dude with Kanes skillset minus the shot.

His shot needs work yes but I watch Stutzle just weave through beautifully.

I like Byfield but he's more of a straight line player. I just don't know if that's ideal for the Kings.

Kings need a high level dangler.
The scoring off the rush isn’t about Byfields ability it’s because his team sucks and can’t maintain zone pressure. It’s impossible for a guy to do that on his own. So as a team they rely heavily on breakouts for their offence. I have seen footage of him playing down low and off the cycle and he looked quite capable and makes room nicely with his skill set.

I’m very much Byfield at #2 and Stutzle at #3, however I wouldn’t object to trading down... but I don’t see that being at all realistic. There are no guarantees that Byfield becomes a Franchise Center but that is his ceiling, Stutzle won’t be a Franchise Winger though. In fact, whilst it’s more of a long shot I think IF Kaliyev hits his ceiling he will be more prolific than Stutzle, although won’t drive the play nearly so much.

It will be possible to trade for help at wing by moving someone’s like Turcotte (if he doesn’t move to wing) and use the defensive prospect depth... but no one with any brains will trade away a potential franchise C. Unless something shiftS between now and the draft, which is always possible, we will pick Byfield.

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
Starting to see a lot of mocks that have Stutzle going #2. We're going to get a lot of back and forth from now until October.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
For me, the choice is not that hard. Image below is best PPG in the OHL since 2010. Byfield ranks 6th. Of the 17 players on this list that have made it to the NHL, 8 are considered top players in the NHL and only 3 failed to really make the NHL. And he is on the higher end of this list.

On top of that, Byfield only played 5 games in the last 1/3rd of his season (5 games since feb 7), and is the youngest player on this list. So his 1.82 PPG represents former part of his development, rather than the latter. He is doing this in a league with deep history of developing players. All of this screams top tier talent.

I don't know how but Byfield' shot is somehow underrated. He had a 27% shooting percentage. He doesn't have a good shot, he has a GREAT shot. Only can think of Holtz and Quinn who clearly have a better shot.

Every single player in the top 10, except Quinton Byfield, had at least 1 other 1st or 2nd round talent on their team. Byfield played with 1 drafted player, 6th round pick Blake Murray (they played on 2 separate lines).

All the data analytics look great for Byfield. In Scouching's analytics, Byfield has the highest NHLes score (yes higher than Lafreniere), which adjusts a player's league, age, and raw production to make a comparable analysis. When Byfield on the ice, his team is scoring 35% more goals and allowing 27% less goals than when he is not on the ice. Stats from Pick224 and HockeyPC on twitter showed that Byfield was 1st in the OHL in G per 60 minutes played and primary assists per 60 minutes played.

People who point out Byfield's production mainly comes from transition plays forget that the OHL is a transition league and a majority of goals are scored on either the rush or PP. Odds are, you heard someone hear from Draft Dynasty about his concerns, and made now its a major argument point. Yet, that argument was never brought up for Connor McDavid, Mitch Marner, Matthew Tkachuk, DeBrincat, Yakupov, Svechnikov, etc despite them doing the same thing. Don't believe me. Here is a bunch of player highlights from their ohl seasons:
McDavid
Marner
Strome
Tkachuk
Svechnikov
Must I go on?

The way I see it, this debate is like the Svechnikov/Zadina debate. It was so obvious that Svechnikov was the #2 pick, yet there was so much debate about who should go at #2. I like Stutzle, he has potential to be a PP quarterback and be an elite winger, but Byfield has the potential to be a #1 franchise center. Stutzle does not attack the center of the ice enough to play center in the NHL. The majority of his production comes from playing perimeter on the power play. He takes advantage of the extra ice in the international rinks, where he can skate his way into a gorgeous passing play. He won't have the space like he does in the DEL.

Also these are opinions, I'm not trying to say you're wrong. I'm just trying to say how I feel.

View attachment 352725

:clap::clap::clap:

I think I'll just link to this post in any discussion from now until October. Well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad