Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Yep! I call BS on Burke cause Reinhart was the typical pick that he always wanted. Maybe he thought Griffin was going to be another C Pronger? Sad he never made it,last I heard he's playing for Kulun Red-Star in the KHL

Burke jumped through some hoops to get both Sedins so it's not like he's always after some 6'4 brute. I think he gets a bad rap from the Tyler Biggs pick which his own scouts pushed for (and Detroit was happily going to take at #24). If anything, the pick from that year that Burke owned was Stuart Percy who was more of a boring puckmover.

Reactions: andys

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Burke jumped through some hoops to get both Sedins so it's not like he's always after some 6'4 brute. I think he gets a bad rap from the Tyler Biggs pick which his own scouts pushed for (and Detroit was happily going to take at #24). If anything, the pick from that year that Burke owned was Stuart Percy who was more of a boring puckmover.
I remember the Briggs and Percy picks,awful! Percy is still trying to find a place...Wasn't he in Wilkes-Barre..and Belleville

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
With our crop of talent already in the system, how can we not take the supposed "risk" for Byfield, who - if he pans out - will be a monster?
He will pan out he's a
Anze-Kopitar-Los-Angeles-Kings-full-featured.jpg
BHVGCAZVZRA4TFISYFGKOSH2NU.jpg
Star in the making,maybe Kopi 2?

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I mean if there's one thing alone I trust our development team to do it's to teach a guy to play boring boards hockey. Especially for a player that's a 6'5" likely 230 lbs missle. What a bitch he is going to be on the forecheck.

How many 2- and 3-on-1s have we not scored on over the years

You couldn't create-a-player a better, more timely prospect for the Kings than Byfield.
Amen brother!

Reactions: steepdrop

bland

Jul 1, 2004
With our crop of talent already in the system, how can we not take the supposed "risk" for Byfield, who - if he pans out - will be a monster?
There are no reasons whatsoever to not pick Byfield, Its just that there are also plenty of terrific reasons to pick Stützle.

Do we want a guy who could potentially dominate on his own, or a guy who could potentially elevate every one around him? Of course both players offer more than just that, but that's what it boils down to in the end.

Reactions: AzKing

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
I like Byfield just because of his massive ceiling and skating but both he and Stutzle are projected to be stars. This is one situation where the Kings will get a player who can really elevate the entire franchise. Whoever they pick, I will be smiling because I don't see an ounce of bust in any of the top 3.

The biggest difference I can see between them is that Stutzle is a guy who makes everyone better around him in an elite way while Byfield may be more of a guy who can demoralize teams on his own. It really depends on what type of player the Kings want.

Reactions: Rusty Batch

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
So 3 years after a draft with Byfield

C - Kopitar, Byfield, Thomas, JAD
RW- Kaliyev, Vilardi, Kupari, Wagner
LW - Turcotte, Fagemo, Kempe, Grundstrom

edit- totally forgot about Madden as well. We have talent

3 years after Stützle

C - Kopitar, Turcotte, Thomas, JAD
RW- Vilardi, Kaliyev, Kupari, Wagner
LW - Stützle, Fagemo, Kempe, Grundstrom

Can’t lose either way

- hoping Colangelo, Chromiak, Smilanic, or Reichel is there in the 2nd

- hoping to a Wallinder, Barron, Grans, O’Rourke, Mukhamadullin, Klevin or Hunt as one of our Other seconds

Last edited:

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
The biggest difference I can see between them is that Stutzle is a guy who makes everyone better around him in an elite way while Byfield may be more of a guy who can demoralize teams on his own. It really depends on what type of player the Kings want.

I get what you're getting at here, but I'd say Byfield makes everyone around him better too. It's more that they differ in the ways they make players around them better, I'd argue.

Stutzle dictates the pace and distributes the puck, but has a lackluster shot himself. I'd argue that he is also reliant on other players' distributing abilities to score from mid-distance, but in tight can produce highlight reel plays. Byfield, on the other hand, makes everyone better around him by virtue of creating space as he forces teams to double up on him. This puts the onus on other players to have finishing ability once he's made space by drawing extra coverage. He also has the breakaway size and speed to push defenders back on zone entries and ruin their gap control. Stutzle can do this as well, but it's usually with cutbacks once he gains entry, rather than galloping through the neutral zone. I think both of these are important to creating offense in the NHL today because they allow trailing defensemen to sneak into soft spots in the high slot, and also allow for cross-highway passes due to aforementioned ruined gap control.

So, I'd say while Stutzle makes it easier for players around him to finish plays even if he isn't always a shot threat, Byfield allows players the space to make the plays themselves. Pick your poison.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I have to say that the "playing against men" thing isn't as impressive when you see how shitty those men are in the DEL. Don't get me wrong...Stutzle's skills jump off the screen but so does the lack of quality from the defensemen and goalies. Yikes.

One thing with Byfield that I'm not sure has been mentioned is that he appears to be playing the point on the power play from the highlights I've seen. You definitely want a forward with a low hockey IQ playing the point on the power play: every coach will tell you that.

I also keep coming back to his shot. I'm reminded about something @Herby has argued here in the past when people are badmouthing players on other teams because maybe they aren't defense-first Kings forwards: you have to score goals to win games.

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019
I have to say that the "playing against men" thing isn't as impressive when you see how shitty those men are in the DEL. Don't get me wrong...Stutzle's skills jump off the screen but so does the lack of quality from the defensemen and goalies. Yikes.

One thing with Byfield that I'm not sure has been mentioned is that he appears to be playing the point on the power play from the highlights I've seen. You definitely want a forward with a low hockey IQ playing the point on the power play: every coach will tell you that.

I also keep coming back to his shot. I'm reminded about something @Herby has argued here in the past when people are badmouthing players on other teams because maybe they aren't defense-first Kings forwards: you have to score goals to win games.

Byfield has been playing against junior players who were 3 to 4 years older and as a 17 year old was the best player on his team.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Something else I don't see mentioned much is how shitty Byfield's team is--I have to imagine how much better he will be with NHL-level support on the ice. Yes, nhl level checkers, too, but having the support of teammates will go a long way (and for Stutzle too, his ability to read the game is gonna be phenomenal in the NHL, different players for sure but I see a lot of Pettersson in him where I think both guys will be better at the NHL level than they 'look' in their current environments).

Imagine Byfield with guys like Doughty, Walker, Clague et. al. behind him moving the puck instead of a bunch of junior JAGs who are NHL longshots.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I get what you're getting at here, but I'd say Byfield makes everyone around him better too. It's more that they differ in the ways they make players around them better, I'd argue.

Stutzle dictates the pace and distributes the puck, but has a lackluster shot himself. I'd argue that he is also reliant on other players' distributing abilities to score from mid-distance, but in tight can produce highlight reel plays. Byfield, on the other hand, makes everyone better around him by virtue of creating space as he forces teams to double up on him. This puts the onus on other players to have finishing ability once he's made space by drawing extra coverage. He also has the breakaway size and speed to push defenders back on zone entries and ruin their gap control. Stutzle can do this as well, but it's usually with cutbacks once he gains entry, rather than galloping through the neutral zone. I think both of these are important to creating offense in the NHL today because they allow trailing defensemen to sneak into soft spots in the high slot, and also allow for cross-highway passes due to aforementioned ruined gap control.

So, I'd say while Stutzle makes it easier for players around him to finish plays even if he isn't always a shot threat, Byfield allows players the space to make the plays themselves. Pick your poison.

Much like I often made the argument htat Tyler Toffoli would be great with McDavid as he can just cruise in his wake, I think either one of these guys makes Kaliyev a success, since either dude will create the requisite space for our baby Thomas Vanek.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
the guy who made the video (draft dynasty) is very insightful. He points out things he likes and things he doesnt like about every prospect video he does.

Its everyone echoing to one tidbit from Draftdynastys video then it becomes an echo chamber of regurgitation "he gets all his productions from transition" "he sucks"

Yep. He may be insightful, and I quite like the few videos I’ve seen him do. However on Byfield it definitely felt like a bit of a reach, trying to find something negative to say. I didn’t think he was trying to tear Byfield down, but that it was an effort to be balanced and objective. Just my take.

However, it then gets repeated as if it were a scouts view, when in fact the guy is a fan albeit one that understands a bit about hockey. I think quite a few of us would be able to offer technical assessments of players and do it competently but people shouldn’t quote us. So I certainly don’t give any weight to the views of a you-tuber, other than seeing it as an interesting take and an opportunity to see some footage. To me his view carries as much weight as anyone else on the forum, he just does it nicely with video. In any case, given it was the only real negative he had it really did nothing to negatively impact my view of Byfield.

I don’t intend to criticise the guy at all though. He does some nice videos and is clearly a great fan of the game, it’s just that when it comes down to it that’s what I understand him to be - a fan.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Something else I don't see mentioned much is how shitty Byfield's team is--I have to imagine how much better he will be with NHL-level support on the ice. Yes, nhl level checkers, too, but having the support of teammates will go a long way...
Exactly. Two of the next three scorers behind him were undrafted overagers. The fact they led their division shows Byfield in a great light IMO. If he goes back to junior I pray that his rights get traded.

Reactions: KINGS17

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yep. He may be insightful, and I quite like the few videos I’ve seen him do. However on Byfield it definitely felt like a bit of a reach, trying to find something negative to say. I didn’t think he was trying to tear Byfield down, but that it was an effort to be balanced and objective. Just my take.

However, it then gets repeated as if it were a scouts view, when in fact the guy is a fan albeit one that understands a bit about hockey. I think quite a few of us would be able to offer technical assessments of players and do it competently but people shouldn’t quote us. So I certainly don’t give any weight to the views of a you-tuber, other than seeing it as an interesting take and an opportunity to see some footage. To me his view carries as much weight as anyone else on the forum, he just does it nicely with video. In any case, given it was the only real negative he had it really did nothing to negatively impact my view of Byfield.

I don’t intend to criticise the guy at all though. He does some nice videos and is clearly a great fan of the game, it’s just that when it comes down to it that’s what I understand him to be - a fan.

And that's really my complaint about Byfield coverage in a nutshell, it's like critics are trying to find holes in his game and ignoring what he does well. Like he's THAT flawed of a player set up in positions to fail and he's still putting up a historic season? What if he corrected even one of his 10 flaws? I'll take that terrible player at 2-3 all day.

Re the draft dynasty video I thought he was actually very fair, it was just weird that that comment was relatively early in the video and so many people latched onto it because often the criticisms don't' come until later in the videos.

Reactions: Statto

funky

Mar 9, 2002
One of the gals from Elite Prospect did a podcast on Talking Hockey a few days ago and really tore into Stützle. They rank him 8th overall. Her big things were he is the new shinny toy because of the WJC but if you watched him the last few years there are flaws.

Starting with the good she said he is the most skilled guy in the draft. He is very exciting to watch.

the bad :

- he plays the game as if it is a video game

- stays to the perimeter, does not go into the hard area’s. Stated Byfield is the total opposite to a fault.

- he does not make many plays while moving at high speed. She said he telegraphs his intentions. He does this by stop moving his feet, gets into the A-frame position to make a pass. She went further to say that he lifts one foot right before passing. Easy to read.

just part way into the episode. She is going on about Byfield at the moment. Said she Knows him too well. Knows the family personally it seems as she has even watched him play ball hockey and stated she would be releasing an extensive write up on him later.

I believe she is very high on Rossi. There was some back and forth about him prior to her talking about what a talent Lafreniere is.

I will try and listen to more tonight.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
One of the gals from Elite Prospect did a podcast on Talking Hockey a few days ago and really tore into Stützle. They rank him 8th overall. Her big things were he is the new shinny toy because of the WJC but if you watched him the last few years there are flaws.

Starting with the good she said he is the most skilled guy in the draft. He is very exciting to watch.

the bad :

- he plays the game as if it is a video game

- stays to the perimeter, does not go into the hard area’s. Stated Byfield is the total opposite to a fault.

- he does not make many plays while moving at high speed. She said he telegraphs his intentions. He does this by stop moving his feet, gets into the A-frame position to make a pass. She went further to say that he lifts one foot right before passing. Easy to read.

just part way into the episode. She is going on about Byfield at the moment. Said she Knows him too well. Knows the family personally it seems as she has even watched him play ball hockey and stated she would be releasing an extensive write up on him later.

I believe she is very high on Rossi. There was some back and forth about him prior to her talking about what a talent Lafreniere is.

I will try and listen to more tonight.

Can you imagine how people would respond if anyone ripped Byfield as hard as she did and ranked him 8th?

funky

Mar 9, 2002
Can you imagine how people would respond if anyone ripped Byfield as hard as she did and ranked him 8th?

Ha ha. The more I look at any of the prospects the more warts I find. I guess we will have to keep it in perspective that these are 17 and 18-year-old players that still have a ton of room to grow and will for the first time be getting NHL mentorship end guidance. The sky is still the limit for some of these guys.

I know I say I hope for Byfield, but I trust Yanetti to make the best pick for us. The guy has been money lately.

It looks like the consensus for two and three are Byfield /Stützle then a slight drop to the next set of players. I know Hoven said it’s guaranteed to be one of those two, but would it really surprise any of us if Blake went off board to grab Drysdale, Sanderson or possibly even Raymond?

Reactions: crassbonanza

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
Just listened to an interview with Tim Stutzle on NHL Draft Class Podcast. He has been working out and is about 196 Lbs now, for 6'1, that is a lot of strength. He said he has been working out everyday since march. Comparing that to NHL Central Scouting, that is about 10 extra pounds added. He is even more NHL ready than before. Waiting to hear what Byfield's new Height and Weight. NHL Central Scouting has Byfield listed as 6'4, 215 pounds. Some newer measurements have Byfield at 6'5, though I can't find a credible source for it. I suspect by the time the draft comes around, Byfield will measure 6'5, 230-235 pounds.

Both of their weights on NHL Central Scouting are from Nov 11, 2019.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
I know Hoven said it’s guaranteed to be one of those two, but would it really surprise any of us if Blake went off board to grab Drysdale, Sanderson or possibly even Raymond?

That is honestly my only concern. I am really excited about the potential of both Byfield and Stutzle to the point where I still can't decide who I am hoping the Kings draft. If the Kings go off the board I would be slightly upset, but as you said Yanetti has been money so I'm sure I'll rebound quick if they do.

Reactions: KingsCourt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad