• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
This is almost priceless. Yeah, Detroit was really bad last year, but you once had an owner who bought Stanley Cups.

Detroit bought Stanley Cups...how when? They drafted a lot of those players and traded for others. I don't remember them going out ala the NYRangers and buying players and a Cup!

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Detroit bought Stanley Cups...how when? They drafted a lot of those players and traded for others. I don't remember them going out ala the NYRangers and buying players and a Cup!
I will let you go through the list of their best and worst UFA signings. Among the best:

Hasek
Hull
Robitaille
Duchesne
Hossa

The worst weren't chopped liver as players, it just didn't work out in Detroit for them. Yeah, Detroit was constantly trying to buy Stanley Cups.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I still like thinking about Wheeler when I think Byfield. It took him a long time to get comfortable in his body. I think Byfield is ahead of him but I also think you have to expect slow, measured growth over time before he's 23 and ragdolling people. We have the luxury of having Kopitar and Vilardi/Turcotte so we don't need to just shove Quinton into the direct spotlight which is why I feel like it's the perfect development situation.
Another year of junior for Byfield for sure,then turn him pro in 2021-22. He can play 3rd line role watch,learn and apply! He's going to be our next KopiStar! The task should you be willing to accept it is to find two complementary wingers for our next Star in the making. This message is gonna self-destruct in 5 seconds...Still think Vilardi is better suited for the RWing in the new fly up and down the rink NHL...could be the perfect fit for Byfield...now the LWinger? He's got to be big like the other two and can score...wish I could grab Dan Maloney from yesteryear he'd be the perfect fit! My second choice for these behemoths would be Charlie Simmer! Are there any like that out there? Don't know?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Not sure what you're getting at with regards to Ottawa and Detroit? Do either one of those teams have players the Kings covet? Is LA interested in Zadina?Yes! Would Detroit give him up? No!!!Does Ottawa have something on the "Farm" the Kings like,like Abramov or the 5th overall along with the 3rd for the 2nd? Or are there other prospects the Kings covet from the Sens...Logan Brown...no...Bernard-Docker...Pinto...maybe but for what the 2nd and a Ontario prospect and they give us the 3rd and player...seems like a wash to me? Besides I don't think the Sens are going to give up on Pinto before they see what else he can do at the college hockey level after bursting on the scene in a pretty impressive manner

What I was saying was that if the Kings wanted someone other than these two it makes more sense to approach Detroit with some kind of trade offer than it would Ottawa. Since there does some to be a bit of a consensus that Byfield and Stutzle are in their own tier the Sens pick will be way more valuable than the Wings.

The only way I'd deal this pick if I were the Kings is if it's part of a package for someone like Eichel or some other younger star. I still think we take the forward we like best at 2 and then hope that he develops as most other top 2 picks have. But this pick is going to play a huge part in how Blake and Luc are viewed as managers. If the Kings hit on this pick and get a franchise forward like a Pettersson or Barkov caliber the rebuild is basically set-up to compete in a year or two, so much would have to go wrong for all this talent not to contend yearly, especially with vets like Kopitar and Doughty still around.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I will let you go through the list of their best and worst UFA signings. Among the best:

Hasek
Hull
Robitaille
Duchesne
Hossa

The worst weren't chopped liver as players, it just didn't work out in Detroit for them. Yeah, Detroit was constantly trying to buy Stanley Cups.
Buying UFA's to me means paying full-market prices for players. All these guys were at the end of their careers for the most part and had seen much much better days. Some like Duchesne retired that season and others like Luc played a few more less productive seasons. Hull did score though I'll give you that,but Hull could score with a fire-hydrant as a centre! They weren't the vital components that drove Detroit to win a Cup or two or four...Hasek was like 37 in 2002 and 42 in 2008! In 2002 Hull was 37, Luc 36,Duchesne 37,Hossa was 28-29 but never won a Cup with Detroit. Hossa signed for 1 year. The year Hull won he turned down a lot more money from(Montreal,NYRangers), to play for and have a chance at a Cup! He wasn't this highly sought after,big money, over-market value UFA signing! The Red Wings added players near the end of their careers that could still contribute. Didn't have to be Stars just knew what it took to win. Remember the Red Wings still had Yzerman,Fedorov,Lidstrom,Shanahan,Chelios and young Datsyuk was coming into his own under the tutelage of Larionov.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
What I was saying was that if the Kings wanted someone other than these two it makes more sense to approach Detroit with some kind of trade offer than it would Ottawa. Since there does some to be a bit of a consensus that Byfield and Stutzle are in their own tier the Sens pick will be way more valuable than the Wings.

The only way I'd deal this pick if I were the Kings is if it's part of a package for someone like Eichel or some other younger star. I still think we take the forward we like best at 2 and then hope that he develops as most other top 2 picks have. But this pick is going to play a huge part in how Blake and Luc are viewed as managers. If the Kings hit on this pick and get a franchise forward like a Pettersson or Barkov caliber the rebuild is basically set-up to compete in a year or two, so much would have to go wrong for all this talent not to contend yearly, especially with vets like Kopitar and Doughty still around.
I agree this is huge draft for the scouts,Blake and Luc! Kings still need to find some (NHL type)scoring wingers(hopefully in this 2020 draft) and they need to retire some of the old men(Lewis,Brown,sadly Carts) hanging around. This coupled with some of their players in Ontario need to show some vast improvement,maturity and readiness for the Show! I think the Kings are a few years away from Cup contention,play-offs could happen sooner. I don't expect a trade between Detroit or Ottawa unless LA can fandangle the Sens a pick to stay away from their guy who I suspect is Strudel. Or maybe LA realizes that having 3 first rounders in Ottawa's case is cost prohibitive down the road and that Ottawa would rather have the 35th and the 59th pick instead of the 21st. Stay tuned things are going to heat up. I suspect the Kings will trade some of their picks to move up or down but not with numero dos...that's the next great LA centre after KopiStar...Quinton Byfield!!!

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

Yep. Nothing is concrete but the "Kings need to tank" crowd is looking smart right about now.

Are Byfield and Stutzle a Doughty-level prospect? Probably not but getting the 2OA was the turning point for Lombardi and this pick needs to be the turning point for Blake. Now, Lombardi had better pieces in place than Blake does but I think the current prospect pool is stronger than what Lombardi had amassed at the time of the Doughty pick.

I don't know if Blake will actually move on any UFAs on defense, but he will definitely be making some sort of move to add legit NHL talent come next off-season. If they don't make the playoffs in 2022, something is horribly wrong.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I always wondered if we'd see a Ricky Williams move in the nhl
Well during some years in the '70's the Kings nearly pulled that off. They would trade future draft choices for players that would play a couple,three maybe four years and be gone, sometimes long gone by the time the Kings pick were gotten...In 1977 the Kings didn't draft until the 5th round...Julian Barretta a goaltender from Wisconsin their first pick...never made it...in 1978 same thing 5th round but in this draft they found D Keans a goalie that played a few years in LA and several more in Boston. They also took a smallish D-man...Don Waddell the GM of Carolina and formerly Atlanta Thrashers. Waddell played 1 game in LA in his career. Back then though teams were permitted to draft as many players as they wanted meaning they could draft into the 22nd round...something Montreal and St Louis often did. The Kings did find some decent to good players then mainly because they focused on college players and back then they played all 4 years and were ready. Dave Taylor (210 selection 15th round)from Levack,Ontario,Canada the absolute best diamond in the rough the Kings ever found averaged 3.1 Pts PG at Clarkson his last season. As a Kings fan back in the 1970's it was tough to get excited about the draft...'74 with Sargent and '75 with Young were a couple of years. Young was a scoring machine with the Ottawa 67's and could have been great in LA!Prior to the 1975 season Young decided LA was not the place for him because the Kings just signed Free Agent Super-Star M Dionne and he didn't want to be the 3rd-4th,5th... centre (Dionne,Goring,Widing,Carr,Venasky) on the team. The Kings traded his rights away to Minnesota where he found immediate success! This burned my ass for oh so many years. Thank god LA found Taylor otherwise the '70's was basically a washout...McDonough could score but scored elsewhere and LA dealt him for an aging D-man who ended up in the WHA. '71 Venasky from Thunder Bay,played at Denver U was a 3rd-4th liner and a 3rd round pick. Kozak was a 2nd rounder and could really score in Junior 155 his last 3 years unfortunately played on a stacked (Corrigan Bernier/Nevin,Murphy)RWing for the Kings. '73 Had the Kings draft a trio of players that had more success in the WHA. And they made more money there as well. '74 Sargent was the top pick a 3rd rounder. He could score and loved rushing the puck had his best season in LA 14 goals 40 assists in 1976-77. He departed for native Minnesota after 4 years in the LA organization when he got the chance. '75 See Tim Young. '76-'78 almost a total washout as the Kings found only D-man Rob Palmer from Sarnia,Ontario,Canada and Michigan U. That was it until 1979 when the Kings kept their pick J Wells and took M Hardy in the 2nd round and others like D Hopkins,JP Kelly! All in all in the 1970's the LA Kings might as well of traded all their picks since they found little success the exception being DT, and to a much lesser extent Wells,Hardy. All others were basically third liners, backup goalies and 5th-6th D-men(respect due Sargent). Personally the draft during the '70's was mostly about willing the Kings to find players and hoping they'd turn into Stars...at least Dave Taylor was one they uncovered for the Starving LA fanbase

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Yep. Nothing is concrete but the "Kings need to tank" crowd is looking smart right about now.

Are Byfield and Stutzle a Doughty-level prospect? Probably not but getting the 2OA was the turning point for Lombardi and this pick needs to be the turning point for Blake. Now, Lombardi had better pieces in place than Blake does but I think the current prospect pool is stronger than what Lombardi had amassed at the time of the Doughty pick.

I don't know if Blake will actually move on any UFAs on defense, but he will definitely be making some sort of move to add legit NHL talent come next off-season. If they don't make the playoffs in 2022, something is horribly wrong.

What was massive for Lombardi as well was getting both Scuderi AND Mitchell as UFAs. Two top 4 defenders who could play with Doughty and Voynov seamlessly. If they could get just a single a defender of that profile this offseason with cap space to play with Doughty that would be monstrous in building a bridge to playoff contention and beyond.

Reactions: lumbergh

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I can't believe the poll results aren't closer.

The most successful Kings teams we've seen were built on size. Different players, but we've been watching a left handed 1C around the same size as Byfield for over ten years be the best forward on the team and also go PPG during the Cup runs.

It doesn't mean it isn't a tough decision, it is just most are leaning Byfield. The poll was also done at the beginning of the month prior to some other rankings coming out.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
The most successful Kings teams we've seen were built on size. Different players, but we've been watching a left handed 1C around the same size as Byfield for over ten years be the best forward on the team and also go PPG during the Cup runs.

It doesn't mean it isn't a tough decision, it is just most are leaning Byfield. The poll was also done at the beginning of the month prior to some other rankings coming out.

It's the size profile and the fact that right now he is a better skater than Kopitar is. Faster and is ridiculously agile at his size. Better than anyone I've ever seen at that size. His athleticism is off the charts. That will give him an advantage over most big defenseman. His reach and strength give him an advantage over smaller defenseman. That is what is so enticing about him. Let's talk about Shaq and how he would dominate. It wasn't because he was more skilled, faster or jumped higher than anyone else, it was he had great hands and footwork AND was huge. Same concept here.

Last edited:

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

For argument sake, let's say we decide to stack our top 2 lines...
Turcotte - Kopitar - Brown
Carter - Byfield - Vilardi

Obviusly, this is assuming a lot but its pretty damn impressive.. When building an Offense, its always best to build down the middle first

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
For argument sake, let's say we decide to stack our top 2 lines...
Turcotte - Kopitar - Brown
Carter - Byfield - Vilardi

Obviusly, this is assuming a lot but its pretty damn impressive.. When building an Offense, its always best to build down the middle first

Byfield (or Stützle) & Turcotte have no business being in the NHL next season.

Reactions: funky and KINGS17

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
i like both players..leaning Byfield, but really like Stutzle skill and dangles...i'm happy with either, but i find it hilarious at the theories these guys come up with....current coach, gm, prez all Canadians...i think that means they take Byfield...no? should offset the German assist coach, no? Again...happy with both but the narrative is comical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad