Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yep, I said that months ago it seems, pick a day of the week and I'll pick a different guy.
In the parlance of politics, I believe 77% is what is known as a landslide. You voted for Byfield. Don't second guess yourself.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
In the parlance of politics, I believe 77% is what is known as a landslide. You voted for Byfield. Don't second guess yourself.

Oh, at this point Byfield is my guy. Khalil Mack every single time. I just remember back and forthing it all year. I can't fault anyone for picking Stutzle is all and I can't fault anyone for having a hard time deciding.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Someone made an interesting post on the Prospects forum suggesting that Byfield may be facing more criticism than other similar prospects because of the color of his skin. A kid of his size, talent, and production doesn’t come around every draft. Why are we second guessing this? Might he actually be better than Lafreniere?

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
Someone made an interesting post on the Prospects forum suggesting that Byfield may be facing more criticism than other similar prospects because of the color of his skin. A kid of his size, talent, and production doesn’t come around every draft. Why are we second guessing this? Might he actually be better than Lafreniere?

Better than Laf? Now not all all.. down the road possibly.

Personally I think the almost 1 year gap in age makes a huge difference in their development. If Byfield goes back to the OHL (which I think he should) I believe you will see huge development. I think Laf also has room to grow but I think he is closer to his top now than what Byfield is.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I think some need to pump the breaks a bit on Byfield's projections. Throwing around star names as comparables like Kopitar and Malkin is raising hopes higher than they should he - Byfield does not project to be a generational player, just a very, very good one. He is clearly behind Lafreniere for a reason, and he isn't considered to be a superstar either. Byfield has incredible tools that have not coalesced yet, this pick would be banking on massive, unrealized physical potential. Its a risk the Kings can absolutely afford to take, and probably the right choice.

But, this choice is most definitely not clear cut.

This is my thinking too. Totally agree. I did chose Byfield out of the two because of his size and skill for a big kid but I'd honestly be okay with Stutzle too I guess. Personally 2020 outside of Laf is a bit overrated but that's just me. Blake and the gang has a lot of work to do for sure.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
No, he is saying there were people of German descent in Czechoslovakia prior to the outbreak of WWII. Germany invaded Czechoslovakia (specifically Bohemia and Moravia) on March 15, 1939. This was done under the guise of Hitler's policy that all areas of surrounding countries which were ethnically German must be returned to Germany.

Following Germany's defeat in WWII. the Czech people basically told anyone of German descent to get out of Czechoslovakia and return to Germany. In a way this was "ethnic cleansing" of Czechoslovakia, just not the violent type of cleansing we normally associate with the term.
Uff, define "not the violent type", I would definitely disagee there.
Flight and expulsion of Germans (1944–1950) - Wikipedia
People forget that the expulsion of Germans after WW2 was the biggest in history.

Yet, Stützle being German won't have any effect on the draft day choice.

Reactions: Piston

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Uff, define "not the violent type", I would definitely disagee there.
Flight and expulsion of Germans (1944–1950) - Wikipedia
People forget that the expulsion of Germans after WW2 was the biggest in history.

Yet, Stützle being German won't have any effect on the draft day choice.
Fair enough, I was speaking more of the genocide type of ethnic cleansing, but yes 15,000 to 30,000 deaths is a large number. Note your article lists "violent deaths" at under 6,000.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I think the question ultimately becomes who has the potential to become a top flight franchise centre? Byfield boyz! So the next step is to find wingers that can play with him and put together a line with the scoring prowess of the Triple Crown...that's the question...is Byfield a Franchise type Centre...Yes! PS I envision Vilardi going to the RWing with Byfield...then the task becomes who plays LW...Kempe...convert Kaliyev to LW and hope his lazy( I don't back check)ways disappear or do the Kings package some of their 2nd rounders(35,48) and maybe a 3rd from this year or next to get someone they deem a fit around the 20-23 pick of the 2020 first round? Questions,questions,questions
With you on Byfield but I definitely prefer Kaliyev on the right so he’s shooting from his off wing which is definitely better for pure scorers; which Kaliyev absolutely is.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
With you on Byfield but I definitely prefer Kaliyev on the right so he’s shooting from his off wing which is definitely better for pure scorers; which Kaliyev absolutely is.
If you look most if not all the Europeans/Canadians that play their off-wing have been,will be converted to the opposing side...i.e.,Gaborik,Frk,Fagemo,Kaliyev,Grundstrom and Rempal. Wagner is the only exception but his case has something to do with his speed on the right side versus the left.The Kings want their players to be playing the right or leftside for defensive purposes it seems. And you are right it is better for shooters to play the off-wing. Perhaps Kaliyev will get a shot on the off-wing on the PP1 or PP2

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Better than Laf? Now not all all.. down the road possibly.

Personally I think the almost 1 year gap in age makes a huge difference in their development. If Byfield goes back to the OHL (which I think he should) I believe you will see huge development. I think Laf also has room to grow but I think he is closer to his top now than what Byfield is.
The top of Lafreniere and Byfield? Alexis tops out as a 50 goal NHL scorer and Quinton between 40-45 goals. And that won't occur for 4-5 years when they are Man-Strong!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
This is almost priceless. Yeah, Detroit was really bad last year, but you once had an owner who bought Stanley Cups.

Gotta feel for Detroit...The lottery is rigged! Florida gets the 1st pick because without this pick you might as well fold or move the team! Arizona is in play also...if they don't sign T Hall,look for him to end up in Florida then the pick goes to the Coyotes! Personally want Montreal to get the first pick and take Lafreniere but we all know Butt-crack hates Canadian teams and cities and that won't happen

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I still like thinking about Wheeler when I think Byfield. It took him a long time to get comfortable in his body. I think Byfield is ahead of him but I also think you have to expect slow, measured growth over time before he's 23 and ragdolling people. We have the luxury of having Kopitar and Vilardi/Turcotte so we don't need to just shove Quinton into the direct spotlight which is why I feel like it's the perfect development situation.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't think the Kings get cute at #2. They'd get eviscerated for not getting value. IF they somehow want Drysdale so bad, they had better trade down. And I'd still be pissed.

Agree. I wanted Drysdale before in a previous poll but since that time I've been able to do a lot more research. I think we all agree now the Kings' need is LHD. Drysdale is RHD. We are stacked at the NHL level with RHD with Doughty, youngster Sean Walker, and youngster Matt Roy.

RHD is less of a need than even goaltending or center.

I think our only options are Stutzle (C/LW) or Byfield (C) at this point...I don't want to trade up for a franchise winger (now that enamoring of the chance to be #1OA has worn off) as teams with their top player being a winger don't seem to win many Cups. And we can never have too many 1Cs...you can always trade a 1C for anything else, just ask Seth Jones. I prefer Stutzle because he's just as good, he's ready and he's much less risk than Byfield.

So the only option is if we get an offer to trade down and still get someone like Stutzle, like moving from 2 to 3 with Ottawa, they get Byfield, we get Stutzle++.

There's no option to trade for a Drysdale pick, imo.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA

Obviously, this isn't to say "Look, Byfield is going to be better than Mackinnon so we have to pick him"...... but I think this helps illustrate how much potential is really there with Byfield and how people might be nit-picking him a bit too much.

I know some people have pointed out some of us may be jumping the gun when talking about Byfield's potential. But the fact is, the potential is there for him to be pretty much anything in a couple years. And we definitely need to talk about that and take that into consideration when talking about who the Kings should draft at 2.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Sens fan here.

In the eventuality that you guys really want Drysdale/Sanderson (no real idea how "true" that is but it has been reported) and would be ok to trade down if you were certain to get your man at 5:

What would you like to trade down from 2 to 5? Would the 5th pick + our 4 2nd round picks be interesting? Maybe 5th pick + Brannstrom + a 2nd?

There is no way in hell we should even consider moving to 5. Stay at 2 and draft the big center

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
LA could make a quick return to dominance. If a few of their prospects come as billed, and doughty can regain his form as rhe best dman in the league over the past 6 or 7 years theyll be right back at the top.
The Kings have some prospects for sure but those have to turn into players in a hurry! That's a tall task to ask of 18,19,20 and 21 year olds to hurry up, be vets and be great! Give the Kings 2-4 years and they'll fine,even great if they can some snipers for the Wings

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

Obviously, this isn't to say "Look, Byfield is going to be better than Mackinnon so we have to pick him"...... but I think this helps illustrate how much potential is really there with Byfield and how people might be nit-picking him a bit too much.

I know some people have pointed out some of us may be jumping the gun when talking about Byfield's potential. But the fact is, the potential is there for him to be pretty much anything in a couple years. And we definitely need to talk about that and take that into consideration when talking about who the Kings should draft at 2.

Quinton Byfield is gonna be a monster in the KopiStar mold,I believe that in my Heart of Hearts...Byfield at 2,baby,no other choice,no other way...Jose,sorry I got carried away...lol

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I really don’t believe so, unless the Kings see very little difference between either player and Ottawa really does. If the Kings were to want someone other than QB or TS they’d be better off trading with Detroit who is in a position of weakness being outside the 1/2-3 tier.
Not sure what you're getting at with regards to Ottawa and Detroit? Do either one of those teams have players the Kings covet? Is LA interested in Zadina?Yes! Would Detroit give him up? No!!!Does Ottawa have something on the "Farm" the Kings like,like Abramov or the 5th overall along with the 3rd for the 2nd? Or are there other prospects the Kings covet from the Sens...Logan Brown...no...Bernard-Docker...Pinto...maybe but for what the 2nd and a Ontario prospect and they give us the 3rd and player...seems like a wash to me? Besides I don't think the Sens are going to give up on Pinto before they see what else he can do at the college hockey level after bursting on the scene in a pretty impressive manner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad