UNREAL!!!

:lol:

:clap:

:yo:
I wouldn't put Turcotte at the bottom. I think it would be:
1.Turcotte
2.Vilardi
3.Lizzote
I think you draft Stutzle here to play wing and give Turcotte plenty of time to mature and be that number 1 center. I would even pick Kopitar to play wing on the 1st line given that he'll be 35 if Turcotte and Stutzle are given time to mature.

This is all a big if because Turcotte and Stutzle would have to become NHL caliber players. So we'll see.

Or you trade Kopitar for a pick/prospects.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Yep. Nothing is concrete but the "Kings need to tank" crowd is looking smart right about now.

Are Byfield and Stutzle a Doughty-level prospect? Probably not but getting the 2OA was the turning point for Lombardi and this pick needs to be the turning point for Blake. Now, Lombardi had better pieces in place than Blake does but I think the current prospect pool is stronger than what Lombardi had amassed at the time of the Doughty pick.

I don't know if Blake will actually move on any UFAs on defense, but he will definitely be making some sort of move to add legit NHL talent come next off-season. If they don't make the playoffs in 2022, something is horribly wrong.

I still think they need at least 1 UFA dman. It's Doughty and literally a bunch of kids. We have plenty of cap space to find someone good, and then let the kids grow properly.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I still think they need at least 1 UFA dman. It's Doughty and literally a bunch of kids. We have plenty of cap space to find someone good, and then let the kids grow properly.

Not really. Sean Walker and Matt Roy are older now than Doughty and Muzzin were when LA won the cup in 2014.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Yes.

Basically everybody is referencing this video.

Personally, I think its good that he can do that, he can be taught to better use his physicality on the forecheck, can't teach speed/shot etc.

Don't care what the negatives are Q Byfield is gonna be the man! He's 17-18 afterall and will only get better and better! If the Kings can find some wingers we are going to have a lethal top 9,even top 12-14

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I always wondered if we'd see a Ricky Williams move in the nhl

There was a Ricky-esque offer on the table at the 2012 Draft. The Islanders wanted Ryan Murray and offered all their picks to Columbus. It looks sexier on paper than it really was:

NYI: #2
CLB: #4, #34, #65, #103, #125, #155, #185

The knee-jerk reaction was who was dumber: Garth Snow for offer or Scott Howson for turning it down? I think there was a thread about this offer at the time and most people overwhelmingly would have traded down. But I posed to them to name who they would have taken with the extra picks rather than come back in a couple years and cherry pick the players who panned out. From what I remember, most of the respondents took Matt Finn or Martin Frk at #34 and the results weren't much prettier after that.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Yes.

Basically everybody is referencing this video.

Personally, I think its good that he can do that, he can be taught to better use his physicality on the forecheck, can't teach speed/shot etc.

It definitely smacked of trying to find something to complain about, such a dumb statement.

Reactions: andys

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It definitely smacked of trying to find something to complain about, such a dumb statement.

It's a constant in these discussions though. We are talking about the elite of the elite--so the 'complaints' about their games are often nitpicks vs. others. But people latch onto those things as if NHL superstars don't have their own flaws to work through.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
It's a constant in these discussions though. We are talking about the elite of the elite--so the 'complaints' about their games are often nitpicks vs. others. But people latch onto those things as if NHL superstars don't have their own flaws to work through.

We see it almost every year, many times with consensus #1 picks who are in spotlight from the time they are 15, Tavares comes to mind, he had that 70 goal season when he was 16, took a slight step back at 17 to 118 points but "only" 40 goals, then he had 58-50-108 at 18. My point is their seemed to be a fatigue resulting in people needlessly picking apart his game.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
There was a Ricky-esque offer on the table at the 2012 Draft. The Islanders wanted Ryan Murray and offered all their picks to Columbus. It looks sexier on paper than it really was:

The knee-jerk reaction was who was dumber: Garth Snow for offer or Scott Howson for turning it down? I think there was a thread about this offer at the time and most people overwhelmingly would have traded down. But I posed to them to name who they would have taken with the extra picks rather than come back in a couple years and cherry pick the players who panned out. From what I remember, most of the respondents took Matt Finn or Martin Frk at #34 and the results weren't much prettier after that.

The Red Wings supposedly offered the rest of their draft picks to LA for Konstantin Pushkarev, as well.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

Wow! Was the year B Burke was wetting himself because he wanted to take big strong,All-Everything D-man G Reinhart and was disappointed to take M Reilly? Those Islanders sure have blown picks in the last 10 years,respect due M Barzal! They have the reputation of rushing kids...Niederreiter,R Strome,or burying them...Dal Colle,Ho-Sang,Reinhart! We'll see how they do with S Holmstrom,K Bellows, and O Wahlstrom...Not sure how Dobson is doing? The Isles are the kinnd of team that needs to draft them from Europe or college and leave them their 4-6 years...As a side note Sorokin must have cost them a bundle to bring over?

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
It's a valid concern for those who haven't seen him much. I'm sure scouts know if Byfield is good on the cycle.
Can you imagine how much Byfield will learn from Super-Star Kopi-Star. I envision them on the PP with Kempe,Doughty and someone that surfaces to the top of the ranks...Turcotte,Vilardi,Thomas,Kupari,Grundstrom...hell our PP2 is going to be awesome too! Wonder what D will man the PP2? Sorry off on a tangent again...oh ya our main man(respect due Kopi) Byfield is going to be a load...especially when he becomes man Strong and adapts to the speed and grind that is the NHL

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Wow! Was the year B Burke was wetting himself because he wanted to take big strong,All-Everything D-man G Reinhart and was disappointed to take M Reilly?

Burke was all too happy to tell the press that Toronto had Rielly ranked #1 on their list. To this day, Burke enjoys telling the story how Yakupov totally bombed his interview with Toronto.

But by the time Rielly made his way down to press row, Burke, the soon-to-be-former Toronto GM, was in his Category 4 bluster and, as per usual, said without equivocation: “We had this kid rated one. Wouldn’t say that if it wasn’t true just to build up the pick, but this is a guy [who] had we had the first pick in the draft, we would’ve taken him.”

The magic formula: How the Leafs did right by Rielly - Sportsnet.ca

Burke: Yakupov's draft interview worst 'I've ever had in my life'

Definitely was a weird draft year with Galchenyuk, Rielly, and Slater Koekkoek missing most of the year due to injuries yet still ending up as top 10 picks. Even Ryan Murray missed a decent chunk that year as well.

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
CA. refugee<E. TN.

the guy who made the video (draft dynasty) is very insightful. He points out things he likes and things he doesnt like about every prospect video he does.

Its everyone echoing to one tidbit from Draftdynastys video then it becomes an echo chamber of regurgitation "he gets all his productions from transition" "he sucks"

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
the guy who made the video (draft dynasty) is very insightful. He points out things he likes and things he doesnt like about every prospect video he does.

Its everyone echoing to one tidbit from Draftdynastys video then it becomes an echo chamber of regurgitation "he gets all his productions from transition" "he sucks"

Right, that's my problem, I have no problem with opinion because their is tape to back it up, but to say that he is a guaranteed failure as a result is a major reach.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
My question is: why does it matter that he gets a lot of points in transition? The OHL has never struck me as a big cycle-and-grind-it-out league in the first place. I'd rather teach a big, fast prospect--one who has a demonstrated ability to score on quick transition plays--to incorporate a cycle-and-grind component to his game than try to teach a big, fast prospect who can only cycle and grind to score in transition. One skill is much easier to learn than the other.

It seems to me like a variation of Lombardi's quote about painting stripes on a house cat.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Burke was all too happy to tell the press that Toronto had Rielly ranked #1 on their list. To this day, Burke enjoys telling the story how Yakupov totally bombed his interview with Toronto.

The magic formula: How the Leafs did right by Rielly - Sportsnet.ca

Burke: Yakupov's draft interview worst 'I've ever had in my life'

Definitely was a weird draft year with Galchenyuk, Rielly, and Slater Koekkoek missing most of the year due to injuries yet still ending up as top 10 picks. Even Ryan Murray missed a decent chunk that year as well.
Yep! I call BS on Burke cause Reinhart was the typical pick that he always wanted. Maybe he thought Griffin was going to be another C Pronger? Sad he never made it,last I heard he's playing for Kulun Red-Star in the KHL

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I mean if there's one thing alone I trust our development team to do it's to teach a guy to play boring boards hockey. Especially for a player that's a 6'5" likely 230 lbs missle. What a bitch he is going to be on the forecheck.

How many 2- and 3-on-1s have we not scored on over the years

You couldn't create-a-player a better, more timely prospect for the Kings than Byfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad