• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

palffytofrovlov

Apr 4, 2003
Los Angeles
Visit site
Byfield... When we won especially 2014 4 above average Centers (Kopi, Carter, Richards and Stoll)... I would like up Kopi, Byfield, Turcott and Vilardi especially the next 3 to 4 years.... If you want to move Vilardi to RW, then JAD cant be the 4th line center...

Reactions: andys

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
(Con’t from above). Okay it was Rachel Doerrie from Elite prospects that was speaking. Her concerns in Byfield.

- has a personal connection
- thinks he should go to Europe next year, to good for OHL
- thinks he would make a better winger to to just average transition play
- play away from the puck needs a lot of work.
- thinks he will be an 85 to 90 point winger.

She believed he is close behind Lafreniere, will be an elite player.

they have Raymond 3rd. - Ridiculous acceleration, makes plays at high speed, needs to get more minutes next year to improve and prove.
Even with wicked acceleration he is not a road runner at top speed.

they have Rossi 4th. Loves the aggressive game. Doesn’t think he is 5’9. May have to change his game in the NHL do to his lack of size. Won’t push through or past NHL size players like he does in the OHL. Gushed about him being almost as good as Byfield.

Drysdale top Dman and rated 5th. Sanderson has closed gap and rated at 9th. Two totally different Dman. Depends on teams needs as to which gets picked first.

those are the top 5

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Ha ha. The more I look at any of the prospects the more warts I find. I guess we will have to keep it in perspective that these are 17 and 18-year-old players that still have a ton of room to grow and will for the first time be getting NHL mentorship end guidance. The sky is still the limit for some of these guys.

I know I say I hope for Byfield, but I trust Yanetti to make the best pick for us. The guy has been money lately.

It looks like the consensus for two and three are Byfield /Stützle then a slight drop to the next set of players. I know Hoven said it’s guaranteed to be one of those two, but would it really surprise any of us if Blake went off board to grab Drysdale, Sanderson or possibly even Raymond?

I nearly said yesterday 'let me throw some dynamite in here' as Raymond would be my real wild card that high. I wouldn't be happy about it and I think Ottawa takes him.

(Con’t from above). Okay it was Rachel Doerrie from Elite prospects that was speaking. Her concerns in Byfield.

- has a personal connection
- thinks he should go to Europe next year, to good for OHL
- thinks he would make a better winger to to just average transition play
- play away from the puck needs a lot of work.
- thinks he will be an 85 to 90 point winger.

She believed he is close behind Lafreniere, will be an elite player.

they have Raymond 3rd. - Ridiculous acceleration, makes plays at high speed, needs to get more minutes next year to improve and prove.
Even with wicked acceleration he is not a road runner at top speed.

they have Rossi 4th. Loves the aggressive game. Doesn’t think he is 5’9. May have to change his game in the NHL do to his lack of size. Won’t push through or past NHL size players like he does in the OHL. Gushed about him being almost as good as Byfield.

Drysdale top Dman and rated 5th. Sanderson has closed gap and rated at 9th. Two totally different Dman. Depends on teams needs as to which gets picked first.

those are the top 5

Some people are super bullish on Rossi and I love it. He seems to be the most disagreed-upon player in the top-10.

Reactions: funky

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Just listened to an interview with Tim Stutzle on NHL Draft Class Podcast. He has been working out and is about 196 Lbs now, for 6'1, that is a lot of strength. He said he has been working out everyday since march. Comparing that to NHL Central Scouting, that is about 10 extra pounds added. He is even more NHL ready than before. Waiting to hear what Byfield's new Height and Weight. NHL Central Scouting has Byfield listed as 6'4, 215 pounds. Some newer measurements have Byfield at 6'5, though I can't find a credible source for it. I suspect by the time the draft comes around, Byfield will measure 6'5, 230-235 pounds.

Both of their weights on NHL Central Scouting are from Nov 11, 2019.
I don't know about 230-235 lbs at the time of the draft, for Byfield, but it's possible. Definitely expect him to be over 220 lbs.

Reactions: andys and funky

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
I don't know about 230-235 lbs at the time of the draft, for Byfield, but it's possible. Definitely expect him to be over 220 lbs.

He said he has been getting training from Gary Roberts as he knows he has to play at a heavier weight if he wants to make the NHL this year.

With the NHL going to smaller players, smaller defenseman, this guy could make a living going to the net hard. There are not many big, strong mobile defenseman that will be able to skate with Byfield. Worst case scenario he has the brain of a caveman and you combat that by putting him on the wing and telling him just to go to the net and get his stick on the puck. Bam Bam

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
He said he has been getting training from Gary Roberts as he knows he has to play at a heavier weight if he wants to make the NHL this year.

With the NHL going to smaller players, smaller defenseman, this guy could make a living going to the net hard. There are not many big, strong mobile defenseman that will be able to skate with Byfield. Worst case scenario he has the brain of a caveman and you combat that by putting him on the wing and telling him just to go to the net and get his stick on the puck. Bam Bam

That's what makes me salivate. As you said, smaller dmen could really struggle against his size and speed. The league in general has trended small so he'll make for a tough match up. I'm not just talking physically either. His reach will allow him more space alone.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Yeah, I saw the remark regarding Roberts training Byfield and that is great, because the guys Roberts trains are in tip-top shape. Another 20-25 lbs of muscle is quite a bit to put on in a short amount of time. Maybe when the Kings draft Byfield he can give Roberts' number to Doughty.

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
Yeah, I saw the remark regarding Roberts training Byfield and that is great, because the guys Roberts trains are in tip-top shape. Another 20-25 lbs of muscle is quite a bit to put on in a short amount of time. Maybe when the Kings draft Byfield he can give Roberts' number to Doughty.
20 pounds in 7 months is quite doable. Byfield said he began training after the OHL season was cancelled. End of March to end of October, we will see a bigger Byfield. Granted this is assuming there will be no OHL hockey until the draft.

Reactions: andys

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
Her big things were he is the new shinny toy because of the WJC but if you watched him the last few years there are flaws.
She already lost me there. As someone who watches the DEL on a regular basis: Stützle didn't become a 'shiny toy' because of the WJC. Germans already knew about his talent much earlier, so did his coaches and teammates. He was ranked top 10 back then and often discussed on various forums here by those who expected to draft high, especially Detroit.
The WJC didn't see him overperform. He was arguably their best player on a very weak team with Seider (who is by some argued to be the best defender out of the last draft) and Dominik Bokk, who was already drafted 2 years ago and who is still praised by many scouts and fans. He played like this throughout the season. And if you mistrust the DEL, just watch his dominant performances in games against SHL teams: he literally owned them during his shifts.

What kind of argument is that?

The DEL isn't as bad as people believe it to be. The AHL is by many believed to be the second best league in the world.
Moritz Seider went from the DEL to the AHL, working his way up to the first line right away. You can't just blame this on player development. He went from a 0.2 ppg player in the DEL to a 0.45 ppg player in the AHL. Player development aside, this shows that the DEL can't be as bad as people believe it to be.

Christian Ehrhoff, who scored 0.43 ppg during his NHL career, only lifted his ppg to 0.52 in the DEL. Yes, he was older, and yes, the DEL is a lower scoring league in generel. However, it definitely isn't a bad league, especially not if you play there as a 17 year old boy and score 0.83 ppg.

So, people like Byfield over Stützle, that is definitely fine. However, if you want to critizise Stützle, do it in a proper manner: we already went from 'Strudel' to some Eastern German history, the DEL and to Draisaitl's family background just to decry Stützle as a player.. that is just embarrassing.

Token

May 15, 2019
Anyone find any video of Stutzle playing small ice?

There are a few rinks in Finland that have smaller ice and I’m not sure if they played any of those teams in the championship league.

i ask because we already have a monster of a scoring sniper that just lights up on the big IIHF ice, complete player and lethal scorer. Adrian Kempe.

My big question is how Stutzle does without the extra 10’ of ice and a Gudas or Parayko is all spider monkey plastering him to the half wall?

Does the kid truly have the monster hockey IQ or is it all footwork, edges, and space?

Reactions: Rooks

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
She already lost me there. As someone who watches the DEL on a regular basis: Stützle didn't become a 'shiny toy' because of the WJC. Germans already knew about his talent much earlier, so did his coaches and teammates. He was ranked top 10 back then and often discussed on various forums here by those who expected to draft high, especially Detroit.
The WJC didn't see him overperform. He was arguably their best player on a very weak team with Seider (who is by some argued to be the best defender out of the last draft) and Dominik Bokk, who was already drafted 2 years ago and who is still praised by many scouts and fans. He played like this throughout the season. And if you mistrust the DEL, just watch his dominant performances in games against SHL teams: he literally owned them during his shifts.

The DEL isn't as bad as people believe it to be. The AHL is by many believed to be the second best league in the world.
Moritz Seider went from the DEL to the AHL, working his way up to the first line right away. You can't just blame this on player development. He went from a 0.2 ppg player in the DEL to a 0.45 ppg player in the AHL. Player development aside, this shows that the DEL can't be as bad as people believe it to be.

Christian Ehrhoff, who scored 0.43 ppg during his NHL career, only lifted his ppg to 0.52 in the DEL. Yes, he was older, and yes, the DEL is a lower scoring league in generel. However, it definitely isn't a bad league, especially not if you play there as a 17 year old boy and score 0.83 ppg.

So, people like Byfield over Stützle, that is definitely fine. However, if you want to critizise Stützle, do it in a proper manner: we already went from 'Strudel' to some Eastern German history, the DEL and to Draisaitl's family background just to decry Stützle as a player.. that is just embarrassing.
I wouldn’t say the DEL is bad league but it’s definitely behind the AHL, SEL and KHL. After that it becomes a discussion between it and the Finnish league... however you look at it, he performed well against experienced men which counts. I say that firmly in the Byfield camp.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Dominik Bokk maybe not the best example. He was drafted at the end of the 1st and didn't play in the DEL and still hasn't come to North America so we have no basis for comparison other than "Stutzle is much better."

I also don't think Christian Ehrhoff's DEL seasons tell us much. 27 points in 48 games as a 20 year old, before putting up 12 in 41 in the NHL. Then he put up 26 in 32 at age 30, between 22-32 point NHL seasons. I'm not sure there's much of a translation there given time period, age, and position.

The DEL is largely an x-factor here. I think Stutzle would be magnificent anywhere he plays. But you're going to have a hard time convincing me the DEL is consistently anywhere near the KHL, AHL, or Swedish Elite. It's that translation problem that has everyone looking at the league and trying to figure out what's going on with Tim. Being by far the best player in the league counts for something especially when Seider precedes him in similar manner, and that's why he's ranked at the top of the draft.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Anyone find any video of Stutzle playing small ice?

There are a few rinks in Finland that have smaller ice and I’m not sure if they played any of those teams in the championship league.

i ask because we already have a monster of a scoring sniper that just lights up on the big IIHF ice, complete player and lethal scorer. Adrian Kempe.

My big question is how Stutzle does without the extra 10’ of ice and a Gudas or Parayko is all spider monkey plastering him to the half wall?

Does the kid truly have the monster hockey IQ or is it all footwork, edges, and space?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these WJC highlights in the Czech Republic last year all look like NHL regulation ice to me.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong, but these WJC highlights in the Czech Republic last year all look like NHL regulation ice to me.

His playmaking is pretty damn impressive indeed. Just imagine if we get him setting up the likes of Lewis, Lizotte, Kempe, Wagner, Amadio, Luff, Moore am I missing anyone. My goodness I'm telling you opposing goalies are shaking in their boots because no doubt their chest and goalie pads are going to be worn out. :sarcasm: All kidding aside at this point I don't mind who we get anymore it's so close between the two. Regardless of who we get both Byfield and Stutzle will look great in a Kings jersey.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I don't envy Yannetti right now.

The firstiest of first world problems right now. So glad we're in this position instead of being at the mercy of 5+ other teams selections and holding our collective breath for 20 minutes hoping someone drops. I was thrilled with Turcotte at #5 and still am. But number 2 is a sweet spot.

Reactions: ru4reals and Rooks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad