Which NHL players read HFboards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
If I was an NHL player I would stay very far away from any kind of forum like this. Typical fans have a very limited range of REAL hockey knowledge, especially in terms of what players and/or draft picks are worth in trades.

I feel like if I were an NHLer most of my time on this forum would be spent telling people that they don't know what the f* they're talking about.

Last edited:

deadpenguin

Mar 27, 2017
I feel like any posts/rumours they would read on here would be much more intelligent than the ones they'd find watching youtube videos of themselves or reading facebook comments on NHL/TSN/NHL network posts... man those are awful :laugh:

You think the posts on here are more intelligent? On this site...hfboards...intelligent

:laugh:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You think the posts on here are more intelligent? On this site...hfboards...intelligent

:laugh:

You don't seem to understand the meaning of "much more".

As in, compared to the two sources he mentioned, they are of greater intelligence.

It's a comment on how bad the posts are on youtube and facebook, not that the posts here are some kind of incredible source of knowledge.

And he's right. There's a lot of stupid people on here, but it's even worse on facebook and youtube.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
If you were a world renowned brain surgeon would you enjoy listening to a bunch of nobodys talk about medicine based on what they learned from Dr. Oz?

Can't imagine anyone from the inside giving two ***** about what goes on here.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
Somebody screenshot a convo between some Ducks fans and sent it to Dustin Penner on Twitter. He responded pretty much telling them he does not care what anyone thinks about him.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Most NHL players are illiterate and can't even read, much less type a comment.

I'm Zuccarello Aasen though, the Norwegian tornado.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
I'm sure a few do but I doubt you'd hear them come out publicly and admit to it. I have a feeling any athlete is aware of what is being said about them, no matter how much they deny that they read the news, listen to outside opinions etc

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
If you were a world renowned brain surgeon would you enjoy listening to a bunch of nobodys talk about medicine based on what they learned from Dr. Oz?

Yikes, that seems a bit naive.

I read forums on the internet about the company/product I work on all the time. Not daily, but probably once every few weeks. Of course there's a lot of wrong information and crazy opinions, but so what? You're reading to gauge the public's perception, not to take orders from them. Sometimes it's as simple as you launched a feature and want to see if users like it enough to talk about it. Metrics and internal information can tell you a lot, but not everything.

Surprisingly, some players are brands, even. Not to the same extent as actors or musicians, but still, you can be certain that there are quite a few of them who carefully cultivate their image and want to track themselves. And then there are others who don't pay attention to their image, but are still curious to know how people think they're playing, for the exact same reasons I'm curious to know what people think of my work. It can be enjoyable after you do something good to read about it.

Besides, a lot of the topics on HFBoards have nothing to do with what players are experts in, e.g. trade rumors, salary cap, analytics, highlights and hype, business dealings, prospect info, etc. There's actual interesting information to be found here that they will have a hard time finding in their own circles. Frankly, your post makes me think you've never looked at the Business of Hockey, By The Numbers, or Prospect forums in your time here.

Overall though I think most players stick primarily to Twitter as far as online communities, but the die hards who spend the most time following what's going on around the game definitely come here. I guarantee it.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Well, even great hockey players aren't necessarily smart/informed about all things hockey.

Just look at how many ex-NHLers are horrible GMs or coaches. I have no doubt there are some nobodies on the internet who could do a better job than some of the ex-players currently/previously in management positions.

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton

That's a pretty bad comparable. You compare doctors going online looking for info on what they do. Obviously hockey players wouldn't come here to learn about how to play the game. They would come here to see people's opinions of them and their colleagues. If there was a site rating world renowned brain surgeons I wouldn't doubt some would swing by to see their reviews and watch people talk **** about their rivals. It's like profs and ratemyprof, I've had several mention they've looked themselves and their colleagues up. Others no doubt would avoid this type of stuff like the plague.

Clutcherbuck

Feb 28, 2007
Albany, NY
A minor league (never went higher then the AHL) player I knew well about five years ago, that was known for his fists, would frequent the hockey fights section to see if fights of his (or of teammates, or his friends) were discussed and what was said about them.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
There's a kid who recently got drafted who I know reads here and didn't want to get drafted to a certain team because they were brutal to their prospects. He almost got picked by them.

I don't want anyone figuring it out so I won't say the kid or the team. Just that he's very happy he won't have to read about how much he sucks before he ever plays a game.

S A W F T*

I know for a fact one of the current Bruins reads HFBoards while on the road.

Tunapants

May 24, 2012
PHX, AZ
Well I love the Leafs and think the poster you quoted may have over-rated him. He can skate fast, has a good wrist shot and is a good passer but other then that he is the, or amongst the, worst in every other aspect of the game.

What team do you like? Perhaps you can text your GM to trade for him? We would appreciate it.
Lol this was gold.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
You don't seem to understand the meaning of "much more".

As in, compared to the two sources he mentioned, they are of greater intelligence.

It's a comment on how bad the posts are on youtube and facebook, not that the posts here are some kind of incredible source of knowledge.

And he's right. There's a lot of stupid people on here, but it's even worse on facebook and youtube.

I dont have a facebook account, but I find it hard to top the yahoo comments section on just about anything. sports or not.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
Connor McDavid reads the Oilers forum in his spare time. Don't think he has an account though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad