Proposal: Which fan base would do this trade Matthew Knies For Jesper Wallstedt

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which fan base would do this trade and if so why?

• Neutral fan would do the trade

Votes: 25 5.2%
  • Neutral fan would not do the trade

Votes: 200 41.8%
  • Toronto fan would do the trade

Votes: 62 13.0%
  • Toronto fan would not do the trade

Votes: 92 19.2%
  • Minnesota fan would do the trade

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Minnesota fan would not do the trade

Votes: 91 19.0%

• Total voters

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Since Edmonton traded Wallstedl to draft Bourgault. Edmonton would probably trade him and add a few draft picks to get Knies :huh:
Yes that was a really poor management not to draft Wallstedt i was really hoping to see Wallstedt in Edmonton i miss the Tommy Salo days.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
From a Leafs perspective yes. Hildeby had a better 1st season in the AHL than Wallstedt has had for his first two.

Objectively, Wallstedt is better based on pedigree and professional scouting , but there's no reason for the Leafs to trade a top 6 winger (position of weakness) for a goalie prospect, when they already have a great one on the Marlies.

In terms a Leaf fan would understand:

Wallstedt is Rask. Hildeby is Pogge.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Really want to nail down this position though goalies are never a sure thing. I think Wild have enough forwards in the pipeline where I'd prefer to keep the G and hope he lives up to his potential so we're not shopping for a new one every other year.
It's not a dismissal out of hand--I really like Knies.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
It's one of my favourite shticks people often use when they think they are dissing a player because "ive never even heard of this guy" type comments.

Really is just showing how little hockey knowledge they have hahaha
Yup not a site for the casuals ( which is strange as said poster has a million posts ) . But yah if the intent was to disparage a prospect I think it usually renders the opposite result

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I am stunned that even one MN fan (or someone pretending to be one) would do this deal.
Why?

Goalies are crap shots and we see what Nashville got in their trade.

Knies might be a "supporting" cast player but he it the type of guy every team wants in the playoffs.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Personally... I subscribe to the theory (as mentioned by another poster in the thread) -- that young goalies are voodoo.

You never know what you're going to get, until they've established themselves over a few years in the NHL. Jesper Wallstedt has 3 NHL games. Heck, in the AHL, Dennis Hildeby was better than Wallstedt.

So this Toronto fan says no... and that's not me dumping on Wallstedt or thinking that Knies is the most valuable young player in the league... it's me saying that all young goalies are a bit of a crapshoot, the Leafs have 2 already, and Knies is a reasonably known quantity that fits spectacularily well into our lineup.

staveNsteel

Jan 18, 2021
Personally... I subscribe to the theory (as mentioned by another poster in the thread) -- that young goalies are voodoo.

You never know what you're going to get, until they've established themselves over a few years in the NHL. Jesper Wallstedt has 3 NHL games. Heck, in the AHL, Dennis Hildeby was better than Wallstedt.

So this Toronto fan says no... and that's not me dumping on Wallstedt or thinking that Knies is the most valuable young player in the league... it's me saying that all young goalies are a bit of a crapshoot, the Leafs have 2 already, and Knies is a reasonably known quantity that fits spectacularily well into our lineup.

I'm going to disagree (and personally dislike the term "voodoo" when talking about goalies). Many factors come into play when developing a young goalie. In the case of Wallstedt, he's been a standout since a very young age, is very technically sound, and is currently adapting to his 3rd year in North America.

Team system of play and team defensive structure are also key factors in goalie development. How many shots does he see a game? What type of shots (high/low danger)?

How is he being developed? His lateral movements, glove hand, stick handling, timing, etc etc. It's not voodoo, it's a full system of development. Some goalie coaches are much better than others, many goalies (especially those with a higher pedigree) are given much more opportunity. Team development system at each level is important.

In this specific case, I see Wallstedt with the upside of a no.1 goalie, while being on a team with a good system to develop his skills. Knies I see as a very good 2W with the ability to fill in at 1W if need be.

If developed properly by each team, I'm easily taking the 1G over the 2W.. but again, that's if everything breaks right for each player based off of the systems they are currently in.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
Disagree! Wallstedt is a highly rated goaltending prospect and has been tracking strong since he was young. Knies is good, and should be a good 2W, but MAN is he overrated!
How can he possibly be overrated? I’ve never seen anybody say he’s more than a 2nd liner/fill in on the top line? The guy plays the game the right way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad