Which Canadian city for a short family hockey trip?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

denverdevil

Nov 13, 2007
Denver, CO
Born and bred in Winnipeg. Now living 30km south, but still work in the city every day.

Most of what was said here is pretty accurate - here are my take on the items presented.

- Cold. Yup. -40's with the windchill is not uncommon. Also beautiful -14 days are not uncommon.
- Downtown arena area is pretty rough after dark. Game nights with all the people around - it is just fine. Downtown at night should not be your destination except to goto the games. Busses outside the arena take to all areas of town. Hotels down there are pretty decent too and very convenient getting to / from the game(s)
- Tons of great ethnic food options. One example (my personal favorite) Siam Thai on St. Annes road has won a ton of national and international awards. Super cheap compared to any other city.
- Children's museum is fantastic - however, holds no appeal at all to someone 13 years of age. 4-9 would be the ideal ages. Have been there like 30 times with mine before they hit 10.
- Significantly less expensive than the popular Vancouver/Montreal/Calgary, etc. I have been to all places and love them all.
- Correct, that not a ton of stuff to do in the middle of the winter. HOWEVER....
- The week that you are coming is the annual Festival du Voyageur event. This 10 day event (16th to 25th) is fantastic and could fill a ton of your time with indoor and outdoor activities in between Jets and Moose hockey games. Local culture festival from the largest French community outside of Quebec.
- Jets play one game - Minnesota (*rival game* 21st)
- Moose play Milwaukee (17th & 19th) (Nashville farm team)
- As of now, tickets remain readily available to purchase.

No matter what you do, have a wonderful time and bring toques, gloves, hooded sweaters (bunnyhugs for all my friends in SK) and a quality jacket - that living in Colorado you surely have, and footwear (hiking boots are idea for what you would be needed).
This is great, thanks! I think this is the first real post on Winnipeg.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I dunno....I think I would do Calgary. Hit the Canadian Rockies....Banff, Louise, etc....maybe gets some skiing i....and then a trip to West Edmonton Mall and a BoA game to wrap it up On Feb 24th ;)

I won't slag on Vancouver and Toronto like others are on Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg, as there is nothing really wrong with them per se...just that they are both places that I visit every couple years and every time I get home I just think "thank f***ing god....". Just too many people for my liking.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
This is great, thanks! I think this is the first real post on Winnipeg.

If you get a few chilly days with decently high humidity in Edmonton or Winnipeg, there is nothing like seeing an inch of hoar frost on the trees.

Reactions: Cypruss

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Born and raised in Edmonton and love the city fwiw, I think a Montreal/Ottawa trip would be really sick to do. Toronto is also a cool option if you want to see the HHOF as others have mentioned. But I don’t think the trip would be as interesting as Montreal otherwise.

Edmonton is a beautiful place to visit in the summer and often times the winter is fine. But I wouldn’t want to risk a mid February trip and run into the chance of ending up in some -40C week long deep freeze. Ditto with Winnipeg and Calgary. That kind of cold can really just sap the life out of anyone lol. Although the festival in Winnipeg when you’ll be going does sound great.

Vancouver is an amazing city, but I’m not sure it’s would fit exactly what you’re looking for. Just my 2 cents!

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Ottawa and Montreal. Both cities feel a bit different than most in North America. If you can hit both places it would probably cross all of the things off your list.

Reactions: Jack Spider

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
My 13 year old son has gotten into hockey and I was very happy to hear him suggest that we go on a trip during a school break to somewhere in Canada to watch a game or two. Neither of us have been before, so seeking some suggestions. We'd likely go for 4-5 days sometime during February 17-25, 2024. It looks like every Canadian team is playing at home at least once during this time.

Here are the things we'd like, in order of importance:
1. NHL hockey (obviously). Stadium & game day experience, reasonable ticket availability and cost, ability to tour stadium, things to do around stadium, lower level hockey in the same city, other non-game hockey related things to do in the area.
2. Non-hockey sightseeing, things to do in the city.
3. Good food.
4. Not an outrageously expensive city would be a plus. Not looking to break the bank here.
5. Proximity to another NHL city, though we'd be okay with just staying in a single city, too.

Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg? Happy to hear any not-just-ripping-on-another-teams-city ;) suggestions, thanks!
I would suggest Montreal if you want a loud atmosphere. Toronto will be sold out, but alot of the fans were given the tickets and may not be the real fans that can't afford tickets.

Reactions: Jack Spider

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
if you're from denver and affordibility matters, the answer is probably calgary, paired with a one night drive up to edmonton. between big hotels, reasonably priced kid friendly food, etc. with a mix of sight seeing etc, really can't go wrong, even if it isn't the sexiest pick.

as everyone else has said, if you can stretch the budget and that's not a factor, toronto has the hhof which would is awesome for a kid. ottawa has non-hockey kid friendly things and the canal is beautiful, montreal is just a terrific city and a habs game would be a blast. never been to winnipeg, but it's almost certainly not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

vancouver in february is a dreary hell and probably the least fun of any city for a kid.

Reactions: denverdevil

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
If only because I like planning hockey field trips for myself.....here's a couple itineraries (admittedly it's easier for me to travel solo than with others).

2/17: (S) Jets@Canucks [7pm]
2/18: (S) -- be a tourist --
2/19: (M) WHL - Spokane@Vancouver [2pm] - not sure if your son is into prospects, but Spokane has a possible top 5 pick this year named Berkly Catton. But it looks like the Vancouver Giants' rink can be an hour+ drive from downtown Vancouver.
2/20: (T) -- fly to Vegas
2/21: (W) -- be a tourist --
2/21: (T) Leafs@Knights [7pm] -- probably an expensive ticket

For somebody who doesn't drink/gamble, Vegas still is an easy get away for me. Kraken have a home matinee on 2/19 as well.

Or the Western Canadian buffet:

2/19: (M) WHL - Spokane@Vancouver [2pm]
2/20: (T) -- travel to Edmonton
2/21: (W) Hitmen@Oil Kings [2pm]; Bruins@Oilers [7pm]
2/22: (T) Bruins@Flames [7pm]

That WHL/NHL doubleheader on that Wednesday could be a good time. Or maybe sub out Vancouver with Toronto? Although traveling east, it might be a tight window to make a game if you were flying on that Saturday.

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
A few good options.

Mtl-Ottawa if you want to see 2 different NHL arenas, plus Mtl is gorgeous.

Calgary would be nice if you enjoy the outdoors. It is absolutely breathtaking around the Banff area and taking the kids to skate on Lake Louise is something they'd never forget. Good skiing/snowboarding in the area. Their arena is old though and the city is meh.

Vancouver would be pricey and I'd only recommend going in February if you want to avoid the cold or want to hit the local mountains/whistler for some skiing/snowboarding. It's a much better city in the summer when it's not raining half the time.

Toronto is the biggest city and has the most things to do. Leafs tickets will be pricey. Not as good if you want to outdoor explore but great if you want to city explore.

denverdevil

Nov 13, 2007
Denver, CO
If only because I like planning hockey field trips for myself.....here's a couple itineraries (admittedly it's easier for me to travel solo than with others).

2/19: (M) WHL - Spokane@Vancouver [2pm] - not sure if your son is into prospects, but Spokane has a possible top 5 pick this year named Berkly Catton. But it looks like the Vancouver Giants' rink can be an hour+ drive from downtown Vancouver.
2/20: (T) -- fly to Vegas
2/21: (W) -- be a tourist --
2/21: (T) Leafs@Knights [7pm] -- probably an expensive ticket

For somebody who doesn't drink/gamble, Vegas still is an easy get away for me. Kraken have a home matinee on 2/19 as well.

Or the Western Canadian buffet:

2/19: (M) WHL - Spokane@Vancouver [2pm]
2/20: (T) -- travel to Edmonton
2/21: (W) Hitmen@Oil Kings [2pm]; Bruins@Oilers [7pm]
2/22: (T) Bruins@Flames [7pm]

That WHL/NHL doubleheader on that Wednesday could be a good time. Or maybe sub out Vancouver with Toronto? Although traveling east, it might be a tight window to make a game if you were flying on that Saturday.
This is great, thanks! Love the idea of two games in the same day in Edmonton.

I love Vegas but I think my wife would be mad if we went…because she’d want to go too. 😁

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Montreal can get miserably cold in the winter, but is definitely one of the best Canadian cities to spend a few days in. The Bell Centre is right downtown, so will likely be walking distance from your accommodations. There’s also often quite a bit going on including activities for kids in the old port, Montreal’s historic and most tourist-oriented area. It’s also very much worth checking out a Laval Rocket game if you’ve got the time. The arena is off-island, but accessible by metro. The arena is state of the art and the tickets are cheap.

As a bunch of people mentioned, a day trip to Ottawa to see the Sens could be cool too, although the arena is like an hour away in the middle of field in the middle of nowhere. The city has decent sightseeing, some fun stuff like skating on the Rideau canal, and the Byward Market area is a nice, quaint place to grab a bite to eat.

Jack Spider

Jun 2, 2022
I'm interested in what OP ends up choosing. I have a bias for Montreal or Vancouver.

I will be visiting Chicago for the first time this summer.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I thought about this this morning and I really didn't have a great answer for you. Reasons:

- I don't think there is a Canadian city with reasonable hockey ticket prices.
- I can only think of two area where hockey rinks are reasonably close: Calgary/Edmonton and Montreal/Ottawa.
- As others have said, February will not be a great time to visit anywhere but Vancouver unless you like skiing. And that rules out going to another venue on a short trip.

Personally if it was me I would have planned it in October or April and Calgary would have been my choice because you could have done a day trip to Banff which is something you'd never forget and Edmonton is a reasonable trip to go see one of the best buildings in the league right now. If you're set on February, I'd do Montreal.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Ignoring prices Toronto would be the place to go. You can see the Leafs, check out the Hockey hall of fame, drive another hour and abit to watch the sabres. There’s also multiple OHL teams or some decent Junior A hockey within reasonable driving distance too. Ottawa would be a lot cheaper but then you don’t have the hockey hall of fame, but there’s still the OHL 67’s and Gatinaus QMJHL team plus skating on the canal if it’s froze.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Do some research first. The cost difference in travel may not be work getting a location with cheaper tickets.

Canad13ns

Nov 6, 2018
My 13 year old son has gotten into hockey and I was very happy to hear him suggest that we go on a trip during a school break to somewhere in Canada to watch a game or two. Neither of us have been before, so seeking some suggestions. We'd likely go for 4-5 days sometime during February 17-25, 2024. It looks like every Canadian team is playing at home at least once during this time.

Here are the things we'd like, in order of importance:
1. NHL hockey (obviously). Stadium & game day experience, reasonable ticket availability and cost, ability to tour stadium, things to do around stadium, lower level hockey in the same city, other non-game hockey related things to do in the area.
2. Non-hockey sightseeing, things to do in the city.
3. Good food.
4. Not an outrageously expensive city would be a plus. Not looking to break the bank here.
5. Proximity to another NHL city, though we'd be okay with just staying in a single city, too.

Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg? Happy to hear any not-just-ripping-on-another-teams-city ;) suggestions, thanks!
Gotta be Montreal and Ottawa! Montreal has an awesome downtown where you walk from your hotel to the Bell Centre, everyone's out in their jerseys on the streets, it's lively till late, easy public transportation, easily available cabs, tons of good restaurants, you can skate on the Bonsecours Basin in the Old Port, eat on a rooftop restaurant in a heated plastic bubble with a view of the harbour, go watch the AHL team, Laval Rocket in the north of the City (but see the Rocket first because you can't beat the atmosphere at the Bell Centre). There is tons to do!

Ottawa is great for tourists and much cheaper than most cities for hockey. My niece is a Sens fan and frequently travels with my nephew a Habs fan to watch Habs-Sens games since the tickets are cheaper there. Ottawa has the Canadian Parliament buildings, and awesome museums: the Canadian War Museum is fascinating with weapons, tanks, uniforms, artifacts, personal stories, etc. The Diefenbunker is a very cool Cold War Museum set in the Prime Minister's hide-out from a nuclear blast; it is great for adults and teens (even has a themed escape room). The Canadian Aviation and Space Museum has all kinds of aircraft from vintage biplanes to the present. It's a bit out of the way but you can take a Hop on Hop Off Bus to get there and the other museums . (There are also art museums, a currency museum etc.) Right downtown you can go skating on the Rideau Canal, a UNESCO World Heritage site, the longest skating rink in the world (4.9 miles)(has to be cold to be open, but usually February in Ottawa is cold).

I think this trip would be a blast!

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Toronto is your best option between hockey, entertainment and restaurants. No city will come close.

I've found Toronto to be a shitty version of New York, I can't think of a single thing that Toronto does better than NYC.

Agreed on Montreal though, that's a fantastic city.

NBA team is better.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's probably impossible to afford but if you could go to Toronto and get tickets for when the Oilers are in town, that would be probably the best kind of "hockey trip" because you get to basically see the best players in the game.

But the big thing is the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto, that's a lot of fun for kids, I would probably look at the schedule but I've been there when the actual Stanley Cup has been just sitting there.

I remember walking into the room and just having the Cup there, no one else in the room, it was really cool. It's a lot more dinged up when you see it in person and can look at it up close.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Vancouver or Toronto because the others will be cold and dark.

Between those Vancouver is much nicer but Toronto is our big city so if you are after a big city trip then Toronto makes more sense.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Between those Vancouver is much nicer but Toronto is our big city so if you are after a big city trip then Toronto makes more sense.

It's also the most American city in Canada.

If you're an American visiting, I'm not sure how much Canadian culture you're going to get.

Quebec City, Montreal provide the francophone culture. Ottawa, Kingston and Victoria have that old British feel to them. Vancouver is pretty unique as far as Asian culture is concerned (reminiscent of San Francisco I'll grant you).

Reactions: Voight

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Edmonton would not be too bad either, usually end of February starts to be not quite as cold in Alberta, the days are longer by then, and it's an El Nino year so they are forecasting a warmer winter. That said it's Alberta so you could be looking at -25 celcius possibly too.

The West Edmonton Mall is generally pretty fun for kids with an indoor theme park and pool park though and the Oilers arena is new and fun to be in. And there's an indoor skating rink at West Edmonton Mall there too if your kid wants to go for a skate (fun fact, Wayne Gretzky and co. actually skated on this rink for practices too).

There's an Oilers-Wild game on Feb 23rd, which has relatively affordable tickets from what I can see. Looks like Oilers-Bruins in Feb. 21st ... I'd try that one too.

Leafs tickets in Toronto are more expensive I think.

EDIT: It looks like you are in Denver ... so a flight to Edmonton is probably cheaper.

I would probably say Vancouver or Edmonton then in your case.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad