Which Canadian city for a short family hockey trip?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
1. NHL hockey (obviously). Stadium & game day experience, reasonable ticket availability and cost, ability to tour stadium, things to do around stadium, lower level hockey in the same city, other non-game hockey related things to do in the area.
2. Non-hockey sightseeing, things to do in the city.
3. Good food.
4. Not an outrageously expensive city would be a plus. Not looking to break the bank here.
5. Proximity to another NHL city, though we'd be okay with just staying in a single city, too.
Based on all your criteria, Montreal would be your best fit

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
How many times in February have we had extreme cold spells. Nobody is going to walk the river valley or want to be outside at -25 with wind lol.
are you that new to winter jackets, toques (knitted hats for the Yankees) and gloves. Bundle up and you'll be fine.

Toronto and Vancouver are not bad either in the winter.

Been to Toronto in December it was green grass and rain.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
Itinerary suggestion:

Feb 19 Ottawa 67's game at TD Place. Original home of the current Senators and a really unique rink.
Feb 20 Gatineau Olympiques game at Centre Slush Puppie. A modern junior rink that just opened 2 years ago.
Feb 21 Montreal Canadiens (vs Buffalo) game at Bell Centre.
Feb 22 Ottawa Senators game (vs Dallas) at Canadian Tire Centre.
Feb 23 Ottawa 67's game at TD Place.
Feb 24 Ottawa Senators game (vs Vegas) at Canadian Tire Centre.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Itinerary suggestion:

Feb 19 Ottawa 67's game at TD Place. Original home of the current Senators and a really unique rink.
Feb 20 Gatineau Olympiques game at Centre Slush Puppie. A modern junior rink that just opened 2 years ago.
Feb 21 Montreal Canadiens (vs Buffalo) game at Bell Centre.
Feb 22 Ottawa Senators game (vs Dallas) at Canadian Tire Centre.
Feb 23 Ottawa 67's game at TD Place.
Feb 24 Ottawa Senators game (vs Vegas) at Canadian Tire Centre.
Don’t forget to take in Winterlude and skate the canal.

Reactions: dukeofjive

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
If you're looking at it from a value perspective. You could probably make two Winnipeg/Edmonton/Calgary trips for every Ottawa/Montreal/Toronto/Vancouver excursion which is pretty significant. Especially, if you're driving which you probably mentioned if you were or not but I can't find that post.

I'd rate them (Winnipeg/Edmonton/Calgary) as equals for stuff to do and hockey culture. Weather is likely bad in all three. Rockies are quite far out from Edmonton/Calgary and likely not a draw for you anyway being from Denver. So you're looking at Canadian prairie on all three. Winnipeg probably needs the revenue the most, at least as far as the hockey team goes, and is probably the easiest ticket.

Don't know the teams playing in each. That might be a deciding factor.

My Best-Carey
I guess if you think a 45 minute drive is "quite far out" then the rockies are far from Calgary.

Reactions: dukeofjive

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Montreal obviously , not sure theres much to see anywhere else in Canada , at least we have some flavour here , some passion , some culture. Unless you want to go in the wilderness of course than Canada has some nice views everywhere in the country especially BC

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I wouldn't pay to go see Montreal because of the team in it's current state. The City & atmosphere is great, but if the entire point of the trip is hockey it needs to be top tier.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Even though I did it I’d go back to Toronto again. There we’re a lot of things within walking distance to do and I loved hockey hall of fame

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
You guys are nuts. I love Edmonton winter.
Could catch the Oilers, walk the river valley, go to the science center, drive to elk island park, best of all you can go to the outdoor rink.
I’m not much of a foodie but I would recommend Canadian Burger King just once. I hear that the BK in the US should be called trash king
Go for a walk in -30 weather 😂

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Most Canadian cities are going to have something different to offer except Winnipeg don't take a kid there and expect them to have fun. Unless you happen to be NyQuil and his son, they had a blast.

If you do happen to end up in Edmonton and are driving to the Rockies, hit me up I live halfway between Edmonton and Jasper.

As a Devil fan in Alberta I'd love to sit and talk to another Devil fan in the real world.

Last edited:

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I would suggest Montreal (catch the Capitals game on Feb. 17 so your son can say he watched Ovi play live) and Ottawa (Dallas game on Feb. 22 could be some quality hockey between two fast young teams). Quebec is gorgeous in the winter and there’s a lot to keep a young family busy in Montreal; less so in Ottawa, so maybe end the trip there.

This is exactly what I was going to post. Great minds.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
If only for a few days, I'd probably say Ottawa or Vancouver. Montreal and Toronto seem like places you'd want to spend a weekish in, whereas the prairie cities might feel like you're tapped out before a long weekend is over. Ottawa and Vancouver seem like good middle grounds between having stuff to do and not overstaying your welcome while also being in driving distance of literally anything else, Ottawa being near other cities and Vancouver being near beautiful scenery.

And man, I'm going to get hate for implying something there.

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
A part from vancouver most of the citys you could visit all have outdoor ice rinks, so if you guys can bring your skates and hit one of the hundreds of free ice rinks in most parks, im sure your son would love it.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
They literally have a children’s museum in Winnipeg at the Forks - which is a fun place to run around.
C'mon you can't possibly think Winnipeg is the best option for a Canadian city, can you?

If you rank the Canadian hockey cities, Winnipeg is a distant 7th on almost everybody's list.

Having a children's museum doesn't change the fact that it's a whole lot worse than literally every other option. It's the coldest, and the most isolated city.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
C'mon you can't possibly think Winnipeg is the best option for a Canadian city, can you?

If you rank the Canadian hockey cities, Winnipeg is a distant 7th on almost everybody's list.

Having a children's museum doesn't change the fact that it's a whole lot worse than literally every other option. It's the coldest, and the most isolated city.

That's not what you said.

I took my kid there and he had fun. There's also a zoo there but I'll wager it's not open in the winter.

CJV123

Feb 4, 2010
My 13 year old son has gotten into hockey and I was very happy to hear him suggest that we go on a trip during a school break to somewhere in Canada to watch a game or two. Neither of us have been before, so seeking some suggestions. We'd likely go for 4-5 days sometime during February 17-25, 2024. It looks like every Canadian team is playing at home at least once during this time.

Here are the things we'd like, in order of importance:
1. NHL hockey (obviously). Stadium & game day experience, reasonable ticket availability and cost, ability to tour stadium, things to do around stadium, lower level hockey in the same city, other non-game hockey related things to do in the area.
2. Non-hockey sightseeing, things to do in the city.
3. Good food.
4. Not an outrageously expensive city would be a plus. Not looking to break the bank here.
5. Proximity to another NHL city, though we'd be okay with just staying in a single city, too.

Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg? Happy to hear any not-just-ripping-on-another-teams-city ;) suggestions, thanks!
13-year-old? MTL for sure so he can hear the announcers in French (and at the hotel, etc). OTT for second city as it is the capital city and as TOR is insanely expensive.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
This is exactly what I was going to post. Great minds.
Even with the Caps and Habs in their current states I'd suggest looking into getting early tickets for this. Good chance they could be difficult tickets. Montreal fans really appreciate iconic players--since Ovie's career is winding down it could be a hot ticket.

Reactions: denverdevil

TJHKY

Aug 10, 2021
Montreal for sure. Also in Montreal most people speak English now. Also you can go short trip to Ottawa, pretty convenient.

Toronto is too expensive for Leafs' game.

Reactions: Canad13ns

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
You guys are nuts. I love Edmonton winter.
Could catch the Oilers, walk the river valley, go to the science center, drive to elk island park, best of all you can go to the outdoor rink.
I’m not much of a foodie but I would recommend Canadian Burger King just once. I hear that the BK in the US should be called trash king
you should be ashamed of your self, out of all the places in Canada you recommend Burger King? lol
for shame

• Haha
Reactions: Sniper99 and ZJuice

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I guess if you think a 45 minute drive is "quite far out" then the rockies are far from Calgary.
From the edge of the outskirts of Calgary to the beginning of The Rockies, with no traffic it might be 45 minutes. From downtown Calgary to any type of destination in the mountains I would say is quite far away for a winter drive. Anyway, the guy is from Denver (only 15 minutes from mountains). I don't think he'd go to Calgary for the Rockies experience.

My Best-Carey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad