Which Canadian city for a short family hockey trip?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'll take snow and -5 any day over 2 to 5 degrees and rain. Snow bounces off you if properly attired, cold rain no matter what you are wearing just clings to you.
I agree as I worked up North foe a time and always found myself feeling colder in Vancouver when I came back in the wintertime.

And man to the OP try and get out of town and north enough to experience the northern lights it's worth it.

But for pure hockey go to Toronto and the HHOF it's ton my bucket list.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
West Edmonton Mall is a good vacation for a family.

Accomodations is Vancouver are stupid expensive and it rains a lot here so even if it's not cold it's also not sunny that often in February.

Basically weather is probably workable if the cost is a factor.

Plus the crowds in Vancouver has a corporate feel and it's not a great in game experience.
Weirdly, in Vancouver when I went in February of 2010 for the Olympics, I got pretty much perfect weather. It was weird and everyone told me it was far from the norm. Van is a weird city IMHO, if you love the outdoors and activities around it, there is no other place in Canada you'd rather live, but for a city of it's size it runs a bit dry culturally/night life wise, which may just be because the people who seek out moving there tend to be the outdoorsy type, whereas Montreal tends to attract more artistic people combined with the University/secondary education scene and Toronto has the nightlife/restaurant scene that will always accompany being a major financial center.

West Edmonton is cool for the kids, but is outside where the arena is by a pretty big margin. When I used to have to visit my uncle/cousins in Jasper, Alberta I always stayed near West Ed or the hotel connected to it. No idea what state its in now, as I haven't been back in like 15 years or so.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Go to Montreal or Boston.

You can catch the Rocket and Joshy Roy tearing it up for yhe price of a big mac in the us and you can catch a Habs game too.

Montreal is a foodie city and the best in Canada, I can suggest a thousand restaurants for any price point, taste and style.

Old port, museums, new REM, skating in the Old port, etc. Lots of stuff to do. You could also catch the Orchestre symponique de Montréal, if thats something you like. Planétarium, biodome, etc are also cool. Ottawa is an hour away and Quebec is two hours away (car).

Bostons cool too.

Stay away from Toronto unless you really want to see the HOF. Edmonton and CGY is mostly like Colorado but shittier. Winnipeg is a dump, Vancouver is nice and would be my third choice but super expensive.

Im not even mentionning Ottawa.

Reactions: denverdevil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I wonder if the germans were saying that in the middle of operation Barbossa while experiencing mild canadian weather lmao

Well they had summer uniforms at the time.

The assault was delayed but originally was supposed to be completed by the time winter started.

Reactions: Mrb1p

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
-Vancouver if you want mild weather and good food

-Edmonton if you want a brand new facility and to see the best player in the game

-Calgary if you want to see the oldest rink (great atmosphere tho) and make a trip to Banff

-Winnipeg just don't

-Ottawa great young team, nations capital

-Toronto is hockey obsessed and they have the Half of fame

-Montreal is unique, French speaking and would be a totally unique experience compared to other cities

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
I lived in Southern Ontario near toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Winnipeg over the years. It's all good the dump on Winnipeg thing is a bit of a meme. It's not as bad as people are saying. but that said.... if I was heading to Canada on a vacation I wouldn't go there.

A montreal/Ottawa combo trip would probably be my choice. A good experience, good food, and may not bankrupt you. You can see top tier junior hockey (QMJHL) in either city as well.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I have seen a lot of Arc’teryx in Montreal though. Went to a ski outlet to find a jacket and one I like was $900…after discount.
and that's still a crazy price! the canada goose store on st Catherine's street also has absurd prices. I think only tourists and International students shop there :laugh:

$2000 jackets are needed? Maybe if you go up to the artic circle or maybe some of the territories. Does it get cold, absolutely. But, I don't think any Canadian city that has an NHL team gets cold enough to require 2000 dollar jackets. This is like saying certain parts of the United States require 2000 dollar jackets because it gets so cold, while only really referring to parts of Alaska.
150$ parkas at Uniqlo are just fine ;)

Reactions: gsharpe

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Toronto has the hall of fame, games are very expensive though.
City has some fun stuff you could do with a 13 year old & some good eats but if I’m taking a trip I’d go somewhere more scenic like western Canada.

Really depends where you live

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
French Canada - The only place in Canada that gives Canada culture. If you enjoy stepping into a new world with different outlook then yes come to Quebec.

Try to speak French. You wouldn't go to Russia without speaking russian , Sweden speaking Swedish, etc. Come to Quebec and try to speak French and enlarge your horizons.

That's what travel is at the end of the day.
I can't speak for French Canadians but in general, people really do appreciate when travellers try to learn even the very basics of their language. Even starting the conversation with a bonjour instead of a hello goes a long way, even of the rest of it is in English. No one expects you to speak perfect French but at least putting some effort to it won't hurt anyone.

High five Tom

Nov 11, 2012
My 13 year old son has gotten into hockey and I was very happy to hear him suggest that we go on a trip during a school break to somewhere in Canada to watch a game or two. Neither of us have been before, so seeking some suggestions. We'd likely go for 4-5 days sometime during February 17-25, 2024. It looks like every Canadian team is playing at home at least once during this time.

Here are the things we'd like, in order of importance:
1. NHL hockey (obviously). Stadium & game day experience, reasonable ticket availability and cost, ability to tour stadium, things to do around stadium, lower level hockey in the same city, other non-game hockey related things to do in the area.
2. Non-hockey sightseeing, things to do in the city.
3. Good food.
4. Not an outrageously expensive city would be a plus. Not looking to break the bank here.
5. Proximity to another NHL city, though we'd be okay with just staying in a single city, too.

Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg? Happy to hear any not-just-ripping-on-another-teams-city ;) suggestions, thanks!
Do Calgary and Edmonton. Lots to do and see. Calvary gets chinooks around that time of the year so it could be +10c.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I've been to both Montreal and Toronto, and both are great cities to visit (outside of just a hockey game), and both have densely populated downtown areas that offer a great game night experience and many great restaurants.

Montreal gets a lot of snow, which makes it more difficult to navigate, but if you are used to it, then no problem. While Montreal is a bilingual city, and most speak English, when people are out at a hockey game, bar restaurant, etc, people speak French, so it can be a little isolating when you don't understand what the people around you are saying. Not sure how much a 13 yera old would enjoy experiencing French culture at the expense of not understanding whats not understanding the language. Montreal has a great subway system that will take you to all the interesting neighbourhoods and attractions. It's all underground, so not affected by snow, and you are protected from the elements at the stations. Capitals at Montreal Feb. 17 Sabres at Montreal Feb. 21

Toronto gets its fair share of snow as well, and their of course the cold is biting on your face. It is far easier to strike up a conversation with somebody in Toronto, as opposed to Montreal. Toronto also has the Raptors, so there is also the option of catching an NBA game. Only city in Canada with NBA. Also an excellent subway system to navigate the inner city, where all the interesting things are. Ducks at Maple Leafs Feb. 17.

I'm most familiar with Vancouver, as I live here...

Vancouver, as mentioned, is a lot warmer in February, and is easier to navigate on foot without snow and frozen slush. Myself, I find the climate more comfortable than the biting cold in the rest of Canada. Like Toronto and Montreal, Vancouver has a densely populated downtown (120 000 people in 2 square miles), with lots to offer on game night and any other night, and there's some good neighbourhoods along the Broadway corridor. The Skytain system is more of a suburban type service compared to Montreal and Toronto's subway, so not as easy to navigate the inner city via transit. Vancouver is a very picturesque city, surrounded by water and mountains, and lined with well landscaped seawalls. Jets at Canucks Feb. 17. Boston at Canucks Feb. 24

Really can't go wrong picking one of those 3 cities. I don't know enough about the other cities, other than they are much smaller, especially when you take into consideration the downtown areas.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
You could come to Calgary but then you'd have to watch the Flames. Wouldn't recommend.
and if you live in Denver they're more or less the same city, only with even more white people.

Go to Toronto and visit the HHoF, great for kids and adults. Do a Saturday Leafs game. Or Montreal, the Bell Centre is a great environment. To me those are the best options.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
If you're looking at it from a value perspective. You could probably make two Winnipeg/Edmonton/Calgary trips for every Ottawa/Montreal/Toronto/Vancouver excursion which is pretty significant. Especially, if you're driving which you probably mentioned if you were or not but I can't find that post.

I'd rate them (Winnipeg/Edmonton/Calgary) as equals for stuff to do and hockey culture. Weather is likely bad in all three. Rockies are quite far out from Edmonton/Calgary and likely not a draw for you anyway being from Denver. So you're looking at Canadian prairie on all three. Winnipeg probably needs the revenue the most, at least as far as the hockey team goes, and is probably the easiest ticket.

Don't know the teams playing in each. That might be a deciding factor.

My Best-Carey

gsharpe

Jan 12, 2010
and that's still a crazy price! the canada goose store on st Catherine's street also has absurd prices. I think only tourists and International students shop there :laugh:

150$ parkas at Uniqlo are just fine ;)
I did the arctic circle. -35 to -40 ish. Dry and not a heavy wind chill. So not as bad as it will absolutely get. Wore a good 4 solid layers on top, 3 on the bottom. 2 pairs of socks and some good boots. A nice hat and frankly I was way too hot. People overate the dry cold. I remember -18 being my favourite. Cold enough that the air doesn't contain much moisture but not so cold that you can't think. I think -30 is my reasonable limit.

Sorry for the ramble. The thread brought back old memories. My point was more that 1 jacket isn't the answer. It's all about layers. The outside layer should just reflect moisture. The inside layers warmth. You don't need a 2000 dollar jacket that does everything and then you can't choose how to distribute your layers based on the weather.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Some of it kind of depends on exactly how you're planning on travelling, among other things. Also depends what sort of other activities you and your kid are into really.

I saw the Devils logo and the immediate suggestion was Calgary, but seeing you're actually from Colorado, the novelty of the Rockies might have a little less impact for you.

Anyway, some overly comprehensive thoughts that are hopefully not just part of the "my city is best" pissing match: :laugh:

Vancouver:
Pros:
-Mildest climate.
-Insanely beautiful place.
-Super walkable, transit is abundant, and easy to navigate without a car.
-World class restaurants.
-So much to see and do. Indoors and out. Stanley Park, Capilano Suspension Bridge, wandering around the Quay/Seawall, the Aquarium. There's also Whistler that's easy get to...but even Grouse Mt is pretty cool, quicker, and comparatively cheap. Whether you ski or just want to head up a mountain and slide down on some tubes or whatever.
-Vancouver Giants WHL games and Abbotsford AHL games locally, though getting out to Abbotsford without a car is...tricky and probably not worth it.

Cons:
-$$$ Vancouver can get very expensive quick.
-Arena game vibe can be a bit..."stuffy".
-It will mostly likely be grey, cloudy, and probably raining off and on.
-Nowhere near anything else unless you head back to Seattle in the US for...largely more of the same.

Calgary:
Pros:
-One of the cheapest, most available ticket options.
-Plenty of cool food options, a lot of local stuff featuring that 'Berta Beef and whatnot. Huge microbrewery scene with their own little taphouses.
-Easy to get around without a car if you stick to the core. Arena, hotels, most of the restaurants and attractions pretty clustered and walkable, and accessible via light rail.
-Proximity to Banff/Lake Louise. All sorts of shuttles back and forth, really cool places. Skating on Lake Louise is a pretty nifty thing.
-Flames AHL team and the Hitmen WHL team are local and play out of the same rink as the Flames so there's convenience (also the only saddle shaped arena which is a big plus).
-You might get lucky and have a Chinook so it'll be warm and people walking around in shorts.

Cons:
-More likely to be very cold. But probably still very sunny. :dunno:
-Outside of the standard stuff, not necessarily a ton of novel things to see and do in February.
-A lot of the best stuff about Calgary is just that it's close to great outdoorsing stuff a couple hours away.
-Close to Edmonton but you're basically just gonna be hopping on a flight anyway.

Edmonton:
Pros:
-McDavey, Draisaitl.
-Spiffy new Arena.
-On the cheaper side, particularly for accommodations and attractions.
-West Edmonton Mall is easy to make a day of or more with a kid. Huge waterpark, substantial indoor amusement park, go-karts, submarine rides, aquatic shows, skating rink where they do the Brick Tournament...tons of stuff.
-Decent science centre and things like that for a kid to spend some time at.
-Usually some interesting arts things going on, but not necessarily always for kids.
-Oil Kings WHL team local and cheap to watch.

Cons:
-Likely to be one of the coldest options.
-Not the easiest city to get around without a car. Points of interest are pretty splayed out all over and transit is kind of iffy...especially in Feb when you might not want to be walking a lot outside.
-Plenty of decent places to eat, but not necessarily on the same level as others.
-People might say proximity to Jasper is a +, but that's a long ways out and not that convenient. Even if Jasper >>> Banff.
-Darnell Nurse.

Winnipeg:
Pros:
-Super unique NHL market. Very different vibe. Smaller barn atmosphere.
-Surprisingly strong diversity of culinary options. Might not seem like it because it's smack dab in north central nowhere, but it's a bit of an immigration hub. So there's a lot of really interesting, authentic imported options, but also plenty of very traditional meat and taters sort of Canadian fare.
-On the cheaper side overall. Though Winnipeg is less of a hub for international flights, so that might be a factor.
-Winnipeg AHL farm team also local, same rink.

Cons:
-Probably the absolute coldest option. The wind in February will actually murder you if you're not careful.
-I don't want to just say, "it's Winnipeg"...but it just doesn't quite have the depth of attractions, events, and things to do that other options offer. Not that it's a dead empty city or anything, it's just...not really much of a "tourist" destination (especially in the dead of winter) and isn't so set up for that.

Toronto:
Pros:
-Hockey mad place with a great downtown arena that spills over into a huge atmosphere in the whole surrounding area.
-Probably the easiest place to navigate and get around without a car. Literally everything is right there and transit is robust and connected right through that area generally around the rink.
-CN Tower, cool stuff along the lake, tons of arts and culture stuff going on at all times.
-World class restaurants of every type.
-Hockey Hall of Fame is obviously an enormous selling point for a "hockey vacation" - also right there.
-Toronto AHL team local, as well as like a thousand Junior teams within the general vicinity and surrounding cities.

Cons:
-Most expensive option. Tickets and availability will be bankruptcy inducing. Accommodations and restaurants will be world class but super expensive. Twice most other places.
-If you want anything other than just...city experiences, you'd be hauling a long ways out to get to anything else.
-Might be almost too much of a melting pot...identity of the place somewhat lost in the way it's a little bit of absolutely everything.
-That's really most of it. Just restating the costs.

Ottawa:
Pros:
-Probably the cheapest option, for tickets at least.
-Seat of Canadian government so it has a museum for literally everything, along with Parliament Hill and all that stuff.
-Skating the canal seems awesome, if it's open. Never done it but would love to.
-Two OHL teams right there in Ottawa and Gatineau just across the border.
-Proximity to Montreal as easier access.

Cons:
-Arena is literally in the middle of nowhere. Miles from the actual city and anything else interesting.
-Everything about the culture of the city is kind of oriented toward government and it being the capital...so if history/politics aren't the ticket, it might not be the place.

Montreal:
Pros:
-Closest you'll come to a true "world city". Just oozes culture and history.
-Completely unique bilingual experience. Really representative of Canada's history as a whole.
-Probably the most insane, fanatical hockey experience you'll find.
-Food options are world class but also super bespoke and along the lines of what people tend to think of as "Canadian".
-Easy enough to get around on foot and transit, with tons of fascinating architecture and places of note.
-Youppi!

Cons:
-Tickets can be pricey even though the Habs aren't great right now.
-Not the cheapest place in general.
-Bilingual. Not that people will inherently be rude to you if you don't speak French, but even just simple stuff like reading signs or a menu or whatever will be an adjustment. Whether that's a +/- really depends on you.
-Airport is kind of annoying.

My sort of outside the box suggestion, since you mentioned some potential "lower level hockey"...would maybe even be, splurge on Montreal for a game and check that all out. Then take a short (flight) hop over to Halifax (obvs not an NHL city), and take in a Mooseheads game or two. In the home of Crosby, MacKinnon (when i initially thought you might be Avs fans), Marchand (unfortunately). Those games are pretty cheap, they're almost always really boppin' and exciting. The city is pretty cheap and full of amazing things to explore. Tremendous fresh seafood. Weather is nicer. Might give you you a little tour of a few things that are very different from Colorado and unique.

Or just try an Alberta tour if you want to hit up multiple things and not spend an insane amount of money. :dunno:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I have seen a lot of Arc’teryx in Montreal though. Went to a ski outlet to find a jacket and one I like was $900…after discount.

:laugh:

Those Arc'teryx items are basically just like the Canada Goose stuff. They're almost exclusively a fashion vanity purchase. Mostly for suburban warriors to walk from their car to the door of the strip mall. Or hapless tourists. Their prices are genuinely insane. The Gucci/Fendi/Hermes/whatever bag of Winter Jackets.

Not that they aren't good quality. But you can get like 90% of that quality and 99% of the function from brands that cost a fraction of that much, and just layer like you'd be doing with those things anyway. Also not worry about snagging your thousand dollar jacket on a tree or something while you're actually out enjoying nature in the cold.

Mars

Mar 22, 2009
Ottawa
This might already have been posted but I haven't read everything here. Ottawa might be right for you. On top of the senators you have the 67's of the OHL, the Gatineau Olympiques of the QMJHL, a new women's team in the new pro league that is starting in Jan., a junoir A league in the area and then tons of minor hockey and arenas around. Febuary is also Winterkude in the National Capital Region so depending on when you come, that is also something to consider. The one thing that is not in Ottawa's favor is the remote area of the rink. It is at the far west end of the city about 30 minutes drive from downtown with no traffic.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Wow! To plan such a thing so far out is a big deal! I expect you have a ton of advice in the preceding pages. Deciding between $$ and experience is a big deal. But quite simply all the Canadian NHL cities will deliver you a value-packed adventure once you commit to them, along with their attendant expenses. Little need to try 2 at once...one at a tine is fine and you;ll be entertained, IMHO.

Good luck.

P.S. If it's not already clear to you...every Canadian city will offer you something to do, if it has some NHL games to entice you. As a 13 year old, I would be overwhelmed with the trip itself...whether the planned activities outside of games are the stuff, or not, is quite random at that age. You might overcome that simple barrier by simply engaging a host from the city with similarly aged and interested children.

Last edited:
Reactions: denverdevil

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
-Vancouver if you want mild weather and good food

-Edmonton if you want a brand new facility and to see the best player in the game

-Calgary if you want to see the oldest rink (great atmosphere tho) and make a trip to Banff

-Winnipeg just don't

-Ottawa great young team, nations capital

-Toronto is hockey obsessed and they have the Half of fame

-Montreal is unique, French speaking and would be a totally unique experience compared to other cities
saying Winnipeg just don't is just dumb given what the OP asked for. 13 year old me has a pretty tough time turning down the Forks and the Kids Museum as destinations, not too mention all the outdoor skating opportunities. as usual, adults have to moderate and they have no idea! :)

Reactions: hn777

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ive lived in Montréal my whole life and its safe to say the language stuff is an afterthought.

I have been a chef for a little over a decade now and the majority of people ive worked with in kitchen are anglophones that can speak basic french in the same way a ten years old with duolingo installed for a few weeks could do. Theres entire communities of strictly english speaking people that live their whole life in Montréal in english.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad