Which Canadian city for a short family hockey trip?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
For tourists that come to Vancouver, they would be busy dinning out, bars, club, lounges, science world, space museum etc. So rain is not really that big of a deal. Also visiting Capilano suspension bridge on a cloudy day is still pretty cool. You can do shopping in many of the big outlets or go to Whistler for a day trip and ski on the mountains. Many things to do indoors and outdoors in Vancouver and 8C with rain is still better than having to endure a -20C or lower condition as most tourists probably won't tolerate it compared to someone that probably lives there

I heard you need a 3000 dollar poncho and a gold plated umbrella to survive the February rains in Vancouver.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
That is absurd. You don't need a top of the line Canada Goose jacket. If you want a nice coat you can spend 300 dollars for a down filled super warm parka. Or you can wear a normal jacket with layers beneath.

Thermal underwear, a sweater , a 100 dollar coat, warm socks, boots and a toque will keep you toasty warm in -30 weather.
The problem is tourists don't want to bring all of that with them and buy things that they won't use again. It's just easier to pack for Vancouver weather lol

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
If you aren’t driving, the train from Montreal to Ottawa is pretty convenient.

I’d do the habs game on the 17th and the sens game on the 22nd.

Stay in Montréal a few days, lots of cool stuff to see including Biodôme, then head over to Ottawa. Try to skate on the canal, check out winterlude, hit up our many museums as some have mentioned. We’ve got a restaurant thread on the sens board for suggestions.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I heard you need a 3000 dollar poncho and a gold plated umbrella to survive the February rains in Vancouver.
Hehe no way man. You need to bring cash which is what BC stands for. So don't buy expensive things for Vancouver, just bring the money with you :naughty:

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
The problem is tourists don't want to bring all of that with them and buy things that they won't use again. It's just easier to pack for Vancouver weather lol

You can handle -30 weather for shorter periods of time by wearing two layers of pants, a shirt, a sweater and a coat, and doubling up socks under your shoes in the winter.

It's not that bad dude.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
If you live in Thompson MB or something, sure.

Seeing people in their full Canada Goose arctic wear around downtown Ottawa elicits snickers and smiles from the locals.
I see people wearing Canada Goose in Atlanta Georgia lol so I don't think it's that weird in Ottawa winter to see Canada Goose jackets

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Except there are not much things to do in winter time in the cities you mentioned. I mean go to Winnipeg which completely sucks in winter to save money? Might as well just stay home if that was the plan. Best to go to a place you can enjoy otherwise why go on a vacation lol. I mean what is there to do in Winnipeg? And Vancouver is walkable during winter time, won't be -190 C
West Edmonton Mall is a good vacation for a family.

Accomodations is Vancouver are stupid expensive and it rains a lot here so even if it's not cold it's also not sunny that often in February.

Basically weather is probably workable if the cost is a factor.

Plus the crowds in Vancouver has a corporate feel and it's not a great in game experience.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
You can handle -30 weather for shorter periods of time by wearing two layers of pants, a shirt, a sweater and a coat, and doubling up socks under your shoes in the winter.

It's not that bad dude.
It's just a hassle of packing all those things lol. Plus you forgot toques, gloves, gaiter or scarf

West Edmonton Mall is a good vacation for a family.
WEM is nice place. Although what I heard is more people visit Calgary compared to Edmonton especially due to proximity with Banff and Lake Louise

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
It's just a hassle of packing all those things lol. Plus you forgot toques, gloves, gaiter or scarf

You get frost bite once, and you never forget to pack or wear those things again haha.

Most of the time its more around 15 to 20 below in Ottawa anyway. When it drops to legit -30 or -40 not many locals are outside for long stretches of time anyway. You need legit arctic wear to work or play outside in those temperatures.

You might get a handful of days with -30 weather in Ottawa per winter. A week stretch at most. Last year we only hit -40 once and the city pretty much shut down lol

Reactions: biturbo19

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You get frost bite once, and you never forget to pack or wear those things again haha.

Most of the time its more around 15 to 20 below in Ottawa anyway. When it drops to legit -30 or -40 not many locals are outside for long stretches of time anyway. You need legit arctic wear to work or play outside in those temperatures.

You might get a handful of days with -30 weather in Ottawa per winter. A week stretch at most. Last year we only hit -40 once and the city pretty much shut down lol

There’s always some moron still trying to bike around the city with their ski goggles on.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

Yeah that is crazy cold man. I can barely handle the -5C in Vancouver when it goes that low and maybe it's because of humidity mix with that cold that makes it painful. Ottawa probably has dry cold.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
I’d plug Vancouver if it was very start of season or very end. But if you two travellers are keen on hockey exposure, I’d say Toronto. Go check the Hall of Fame, find some other hockey event or tournament to check out from a lower tier league, etc.

One good option to try to make it special though is to lock in on a destination and then engage with the team’s home board here on HF early. Hopefully you’ll get a ton of support and suggestions that way too. You might turn up a lot more from people who don’t visit the main boards.

Honestly, I hope you have great time no matter where you go. Good luck with it. And if Vancouver ends up being the target, feel free to send a DM if you have questions.

Cheers!

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I just made my first trip to watch a Caps game in Montreal and I could not have had a better time. The city is very walkable and safe and there is a ton to do. The public transport system is clean and efficient and easy to navigate.

The stadium is in the great part of the city and has its own metro station. The atmosphere is amazing and the fans are so passionate but also really nice to away fans. I am going to try to make this a regular trip it was so much fun.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think as a pure hockey experience you have 2 choices: the 2 original 6 cities Toronto and Montreal.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
After reading your comments here, I'd be hostile to you too lol

Québec City, there's people there that could give you some shit if you can only speak english, but Montreal dgaf. It's one of the most laid back city out there, and it's the most functionnaly builingual in the country too
I asked someone for directions nicely in English and got scoffed at. Another clerk at a store didn't look to happy when I didn't speak French. I don't walk around in public talking about hockey to people.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal would all be fine choices for different reasons. Personally I wouldn’t choose any of the other ones.

Reactions: denverdevil

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah that is crazy cold man. I can barely handle the -5C in Vancouver when it goes that low and maybe it's because of humidity mix with that cold that makes it painful. Ottawa probably has dry cold.

Yeah, it's a different cold I think. The damp cold can be chilling to the bone. Despite what the temperature says, cold is cold.

And heaven forbid if there is a sprinkle of snowfall. It's time to bring the military in for those situations.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I asked someone for directions nicely in English and got scoffed at. Another clerk at a store didn't look to happy when I didn't speak French. I don't walk around in public talking about hockey to people.

Maybe bad luck for you. I never had that issue even when I go in the summer. The further you get from the city, there would be an increasing shift, but certainly it's not a montreal vibe.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Maybe bad luck for you. I never had that issue even when I go in the summer. The further you get from the city, there would be an increasing shift, but certainly it's not a montreal vibe.
Look op can go to Montreal and 99.9 will have a great time. I'm just giving my 2 cents on the matter. I'm not saying couple bad apples ruin the barrel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad