Which Canadian city for a short family hockey trip?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
If you want decent weather, Vancouver is really your only option. It averages somewhere around 8 degrees

Edmonton and Calgary are cold, depressing and dark still

Toronto and Ottawa aren’t too bad

Montreal is cold

Winnipeg is…. Well, Winnipeg
I mean, you trash someone for their opinion on Vancouver, then do the same thing to other cities. As someone pointed out, Toronto is one degree warmer than Calgary in February. As for depressing, not sure what you mean but seeing rain pretty much every day I am ever in Vancouver is depressing to me.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Honestly during the coldest month in Canada, Vancouver is the best option because you can actually walk outside without freezing your bum and there are lots of places to visit in Vancouver and Victoria. And if they want outdoor adventure, Whistler is awesome in winter time.

It’s like the famous German saying:

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.” ;)

Reactions: denverdevil

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
questions

1) have you been to Canada before?
2) are you also looking to do stuff away from the Arena?
3) In Feb in Calgary, Edmonton and the peg---you are looking at the coldest time of the year--is this okay with you -50 before the windchill factor
4) are you looking for history as well?
Lived in Calgary my entire life -50 before windchill is not a thing. I may have seen it that way once or twice in my life.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Yes, the rest of the country are all in wheel chairs and stumbling around on crutches.
Well for foreigners Canada during the coldest month would be similar to going to Pluto. Especially if someone comes from a place where it regularly hits 30 to 40C. You need special $2000 jackets in some parts of Canada if you ever want to be outside in frigid temp but I bet most would be spending time indoors.

• Haha
Reactions: FDBluth

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Montreal and Ottawa is the winning combo kess than 2 hour drive between them,

Ottawa will have the cheapest good tickets, nations capital so plenty of stuff to visit, junor team as well

Montreal has a rocking building, AHL just one subway ride away

Reactions: Canad13ns

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We might not even get snow this year due to El Nino but I heard the rest of Canada won't be as lucky lol

I like when there’s snow at Christmas.

Taking my kid to the toboggan hill.

Going cross country skiing along the Ottawa river or in Gatineau Park.

Shinny on the outdoor rinks.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Well for foreigners Canada during the coldest month would be similar to going to Pluto. Especially if someone comes from a place where it regularly hits 30 to 40C. You need special $2000 jackets in some parts of Canada if you ever want to be outside in frigid temp but I bet most would be spending time indoors.
special trade secret from a real Canadian (myself)about dressing in winter: layers

when I was a student my whole winter wardrobe was from Value Village and I survived multiple winters in Montreal. somehow.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Montreal and Ottawa is the winning combo kess than 2 hour drive between them,

Ottawa will have the cheapest good tickets, nations capital so plenty of stuff to visit, junor team as well

Montreal has a rocking building, AHL just one subway ride away
I like Montreal, Ottawa is a bit boring for most but I guess for a first time visit might not be so bad to see the Parliament Hill and museums. The best hotel to stay in Ottawa is definitely Business Inn. Cheap rates, breakfast included and huge rooms with 2 queen beds and 2 TVs and kitchen etc. And pretty central location too. But I wouldn't stay too long in Ottawa and would explore Montreal more. Maybe for NHL tix Ottawa would be the best

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I like when there’s snow at Christmas.

Taking my kid to the toboggan hill.

Going cross country skiing along the Ottawa river or in Gatineau Park.

Shinny on the outdoor rinks.
Ottawa is nice and clean, visited there multiple times and friendly people too. I feel like am actually in Canada when am in Ottawa lol. It's good place but I do find it a bit boring for a vacation. Maybe short stay like 3 days in Ottawa would cover most things you might want to see

Reactions: denverdevil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
WTF is this bullshit 99.9% of the population never owned a 2000$ jacket

I wear a regular black wool coat in the winter and occasionally a scarf and hat. A ski jacket on the canal or skiing.

I have a parka I wear for shoveling maybe 3 or 4 nights a year.

Your tolerance for the cold builds pretty quickly.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I mean, you trash someone for their opinion on Vancouver, then do the same thing to other cities. As someone pointed out, Toronto is one degree warmer than Calgary in February. As for depressing, not sure what you mean but seeing rain pretty much every day I am ever in Vancouver is depressing to me.
+8 with a chance of rain and overcast, otherwise good weather

Or a guarantee of -30 to -50 with only a few hours of light a day

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
WTF is this bullshit 99.9% of the population never owned a 2000$ jacket
Well am saying if you want to go outside in -20C you need a good jacket and many people buy good jackets in the east bud. My friend who moved to Vancouver from Toronto had to sell his expensive jackets. I exaggerated on the price but you honestly need a good, thick jackets that's rated for -20C and lower, you can't wear just a regular thin jacket outside unless you are only out for less than 5 to 10 minutes.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well am saying if you want to go outside in -20C you need a good jacket and many people buy good jackets in the east bud. My friend who moved to Vancouver from Toronto had to sell his expensive jackets. I exaggerated on the price but you honestly need a good, thick jackets that's rated for -20C and lower, you can't wear just a regular thin jacket outside unless you are only out for less than 5 to 10 minutes.

Or you wear a sweater underneath.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

That is absurd. You don't need a top of the line Canada Goose jacket. If you want a nice coat you can spend 300 dollars for a down filled super warm parka. Or you can wear a normal jacket with layers beneath.

Thermal underwear, a sweater , a 100 dollar coat, warm socks, boots and a toque will keep you toasty warm in -30 weather.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
For tourists that come to Vancouver, they would be busy dinning out, bars, club, lounges, science world, space museum etc. So rain is not really that big of a deal. Also visiting Capilano suspension bridge on a cloudy day is still pretty cool. You can do shopping in many of the big outlets or go to Whistler for a day trip and ski on the mountains. Many things to do indoors and outdoors in Vancouver and 8C with rain is still better than having to endure a -20C or lower condition as most tourists probably won't tolerate it compared to someone that probably lives there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad