Which Canadian city for a short family hockey trip?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
While I’m not suggesting Winnipeg due to the cold, I will say that the food there is fantastic. I’m in California and for example find that the average cultural (Thai, Indian, Caribbean, etc.) food in Winnipeg surpasses some of the best in California and for a fraction of the price.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Yeah Montreal is a fantastic city. People are generally super friendly too, even if you don't speak french.

Habs fans are the worst, but Montreal is one of my favorite cities on the planet.
This is interesting, because you're quoting a guy saying Toronto is like NYC,

and I'm a Toronto guy. But hated NYC when I visited, but LOVED Boston.............

So I'm probably a Montreal type of person???

I also have no idea why anyone would spend money on a vacation to Canada in February, no matter how much their kid likes hockey.

denverdevil

Nov 13, 2007
Denver, CO
questions

1) have you been to Canada before?
2) are you also looking to do stuff away from the Arena?
3) In Feb in Calgary, Edmonton and the peg---you are looking at the coldest time of the year--is this okay with you -50 before the windchill factor
4) are you looking for history as well?
Thanks for the clarifying questions! I answered most of these in the original post:
1. No.
2. Yes. Hockey would probably only be ~50% of our trip.
3. We’re not concerned with the cold, we live in Colorado, but okay -50 is really damn cold, so mayyybe not interested in it being that cold.
4. I am, my son not really so let’s go no, not really.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
This is interesting, because you're quoting a guy saying Toronto is like NYC,

and I'm a Toronto guy. But hated NYC when I visited, but LOVED Boston.............

So I'm probably a Montreal type of person???

I also have no idea why anyone would spend money on a vacation to Canada in February, no matter how much their kid likes hockey.

haha I agree!

Nothing against Toronto, just not my kinda city. I'd rather go somewhere warm in the winter, but maybe someone who doesn't experience a lot of snow wants to check it out?

Different strokes!

Reactions: denverdevil

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario
You guys are nuts. I love Edmonton winter.
Could catch the Oilers, walk the river valley, go to the science center, drive to elk island park, best of all you can go to the outdoor rink.
I’m not much of a foodie but I would recommend Canadian Burger King just once. I hear that the BK in the US should be called trash king
Taking advice from a guy who suggests you go anywhere and postures BK as a food option would be a questionable play, Cotton. Have to see how it plays out.

I kid, I kid.

• Haha
Reactions: ZJuice

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
For in game experience, montreal is really cool, but they are on the downside of their competitive cycle right now, so you might not get the full experience especially by the time you get to february dog days.

Vancouver is mild weather wise, but it also doesn't mean it's all that pleasant. There's a good chance it will be grey and rainy, and winter rain feels cold regardless of the relatively mild temperature.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Yes, agreed, this is a plus for us. We don’t need the place we visit to be like where we live. Happy and certainly willing to experience other things.
Well Montreal definitely would tick that box the most. Awesome place to experience for the first time. Truly a unique city in North America and the world.

The one thing I would say is that February can sometimes produce some ridiculous weather. It can be -20C but somehow still very damp, with small freezing ice pellet snow with a windchill that somehow blows in your face in every new street direction you turn down. It's almost like God just experiments with what kind of f*cked up weather he can come up with there in the winter.

But it can also hover around freezing and be sunny and charming, with kids playing hockey on the outdoor rinks around the city like something straight out of a Hallmark winter postcard.

In fact it's pretty likely that if you're there for 3-4 days you'll experience a bit of both winter worlds.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Montreal is awesome all times of year, but it can be cold in February. Just make sure to get out of downtown and walk around the Plateau (where the real culture/city is), take a stroll up Mt Royal, grab some bagels from Fairmount etc.
now this is a dude who's visited here
;)

Unless you speak French don't go to Montreal. Toronto is the number 1 city in Canada and the hockey world
incredibly clueless take. English is my first language and I live in Montreal

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Thanks for the clarifying questions! I answered most of these in the original post:
1. No.
3. We’re not concerned with the cold, we live in Colorado, but okay -50 is really damn cold, so mayyybe not interested in it being that cold.
-50 would be like historically cold. more likely it's somewhere between -10 to -20 in those cities.
now this is a dude who's visited here
;)
or lived there for multiple years :)

and still wonder every few months when I should move back

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Well Montreal definitely would tick that box the most. Awesome place to experience for the first time. Truly a unique city in North America and the world.

The one thing I would say is that February can sometimes produce some ridiculous weather. It can be -20C but somehow still very damp, with small freezing ice pellet snow with a windchill that somehow blows in your face in every new street direction you turn down. It's almost like God just experiments with what kind of f*cked up weather he can come up with there in the winter.

But it can also hover around freezing and be sunny and charming, with kids playing hockey on the outdoor rinks around the city like something straight out of a Hallmark winter postcard.

In fact it's pretty likely that if you're there for 3-4 days you'll experience a bit of both winter worlds.
lol I think Montreal is the only city in the world which can vary between +30 and -30 in the same year. That being said, winters are getting shorter and milder because of climate change. Happening all over Canada (and the world)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
1. No.
If money is no issue--I would say Montreal but ticket could be really expensive same in TO

An idea is 7 days in Alberta hitting not only NHL games but WHL games as well. Taking a look at Hockey grass roots in Alberta and Canada. Hitting the hitman in Calgary, Rebels in Red deer and Oil Kings in Edmonton

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Yeah thats a weird take. My experience visiting the city is that it's very bilingual. I had no issues as an Anglophone at all.
there are vey few issues. Putting aside the CAQ's questionable politics, Montreal is a international, festival city that is easy to navigate for those who don't speak French.

Reactions: denverdevil

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
haha I agree!

Nothing against Toronto, just not my kinda city. I'd rather go somewhere warm in the winter, but maybe someone who doesn't experience a lot of snow wants to check it out?

Different strokes!

And then they come to Canada in July and go "why is it so f***ing hot and humid? I thought these people lived in igloos?"

denverdevil

Nov 13, 2007
Denver, CO
there are vey few issues. Putting aside the CAQ's questionable politics, Montreal is a international, festival city that is easy to navigate for those who don't speak French.
I don’t know what the CAQ is, so I’ve put their political stance aside already. 😂

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
February is usually a pretty reliable time to skate the canal in Ottawa.

Rideau-ice-skating-canal-daytime_2x3.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad