Which Canadian city for a short family hockey trip?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
My 13 year old son has gotten into hockey and I was very happy to hear him suggest that we go on a trip during a school break to somewhere in Canada to watch a game or two. Neither of us have been before, so seeking some suggestions. We'd likely go for 4-5 days sometime during February 17-25, 2024. It looks like every Canadian team is playing at home at least once during this time.

Here are the things we'd like, in order of importance:
1. NHL hockey (obviously). Stadium & game day experience, reasonable ticket availability and cost, ability to tour stadium, things to do around stadium, lower level hockey in the same city, other non-game hockey related things to do in the area.
2. Non-hockey sightseeing, things to do in the city.
3. Good food.
4. Not an outrageously expensive city would be a plus. Not looking to break the bank here.
5. Proximity to another NHL city, though we'd be okay with just staying in a single city, too.

Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg? Happy to hear any not-just-ripping-on-another-teams-city ;) suggestions, thanks!
where are you coming from? That is my first question

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Montreal is easy to recommend

Few places to eat that Montreal is known for.

Shwartz's Smoked meat sandwich (with a pickle and black cherry soda).

Fairmont Bagel (or rival saint viateur).

Or to get it served with Lox and cream cheese go to Beauty's.

Poutine - my fave is classic poutine is Patati Patata (tourists go to La Banquise).
My other favorite is Duck confit poutine at Nyks

Beer - my fave is a dark beer at Station Host
(But tourists are recommended Dieu du Ciel)

Wilensky's Bologna Sandwich

Romado's portugese Chicken

Boustan's - get something not on the menu called 'The Creation'. Locals know what it is.

Cafe Olympico - Oldschool italian coffee. Tons of other options for newschool coffee.

Bernie's Donuts - my fave is the passionfruit Donut. - they're usually sold out of everything by noon, so go early.

La Muenerie Urbaine - Award winning bakery
Yes they likely can speak English but i felt a lil hostility when I was there

I've lived here since 2006. Still cant speak.

Its about 1/5 people who are rude, and most of them will be more east. Where I live (NDG) and west of here, english is the most common language you'll hear.

Mar 26, 2010
I've found Toronto to be a shitty version of New York, I can't think of a single thing that Toronto does better than NYC.

Agreed on Montreal though, that's a fantastic city.
Play hockey. There is your single thing. Lol

just having some fun, I do really like NYC.

Reactions: Voight

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Unless you speak French don't go to Montreal. Toronto is the number 1 city in Canada and the hockey world
please don't comment if you don't know what you're talking about. EVERYONE in the service sector in Montreal speaks English. it will not be an issue anywhere.

this is the worst non-hockey take I've seen here. (I don't go to the politics boards though ;P)

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Vancouver in February ? Lol I can confirm with you, you don't want to visit the city with the lowest amount.of sunlight in the winter frozen temperatures, constant rain, dark. You might be frozen in the Alberta cities, but you you will at least freeze in the sunlight....
Spoken like someone who doesn’t know what Vancouver is like in February. (Outside of the odd year)

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
My 13 year old son has gotten into hockey and I was very happy to hear him suggest that we go on a trip during a school break to somewhere in Canada to watch a game or two. Neither of us have been before, so seeking some suggestions. We'd likely go for 4-5 days sometime during February 17-25, 2024. It looks like every Canadian team is playing at home at least once during this time.

Here are the things we'd like, in order of importance:
1. NHL hockey (obviously). Stadium & game day experience, reasonable ticket availability and cost, ability to tour stadium, things to do around stadium, lower level hockey in the same city, other non-game hockey related things to do in the area.
2. Non-hockey sightseeing, things to do in the city.
3. Good food.
4. Not an outrageously expensive city would be a plus. Not looking to break the bank here.
5. Proximity to another NHL city, though we'd be okay with just staying in a single city, too.

Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg? Happy to hear any not-just-ripping-on-another-teams-city ;) suggestions, thanks!

Toronto is nice, and I’m a Sabres fan. That said, it’s pricey and I’ve heard the crowd ain’t great right now? So maybe not the most enjoyable atmosphere. You could pair it with Buffalo though, that’s somethin.

Otherwise try Calgary? Idk, I don’t mind visiting a cold place as long as I don’t have to buy too much new stuff- it’s only a short time, see how the kid likes it, and I gotta think Calgary is a bit more.. unique? Different? Every city is somethin, but that’d appeal to young me.

Reactions: denverdevil

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
If you want decent weather, Vancouver is really your only option. It averages somewhere around 8 degrees

Edmonton and Calgary are cold, depressing and dark still

Toronto and Ottawa aren’t too bad

Montreal is cold

Winnipeg is…. Well, Winnipeg

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I’m from New Jersey, hostile a-holes are okay.
Montreal isn’t really that bad, majority speak French but are bilingual. You’ll likely have a bit of a language barrier but overall they are usually fine with it as long as you aren’t rude.

But that’s typical for any destination, treat people with the same respect you would want and everything is fine

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Montreal isn’t really that bad, majority speak French but are bilingual. You’ll likely have a bit of a language barrier but overall they are usually fine with it as long as you aren’t rude.

But that’s typical for any destination, treat people with the same respect you would want and everything is fine
plus, believe it or not, it's not actually a bad thing to expose yourself to other cultures and languages.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Play hockey. There is your single thing. Lol

just having some fun, I do really like NYC.
A person born after the leafs won their last cup would have been 27 watching the Rangers win theirs.
Unless you speak French don't go to Montreal. Toronto is the number 1 city in Canada and the hockey world
People like this are the reason to choose Montreal/Vancouver over Toronto.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Denver, Colorado, USA.
questions

1) have you been to Canada before?
2) are you also looking to do stuff away from the Arena?
3) In Feb in Calgary, Edmonton and the peg---you are looking at the coldest time of the year--is this okay with you -50 before the windchill factor
4) are you looking for history as well?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Toronto is the largest city. Number one is highly debatable.

Almost everyone in Montreal speak English, there are loads of people there who only speak English. The people are significantly more friendly there than Toronto as well. Or Ottawa for that matter.

Don't listen to this guy.

If you wanted actually, Montreal and Ottawa are only a 2 hour drive apart. You could definitely catch games in both cities if you wanted to. Spend a couple of days in Ottawa, then check out Montreal for the bulk of your trip. Best of both worlds that way!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad