Which Canadian city for a short family hockey trip?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
C'mon you can't possibly think Winnipeg is the best option for a Canadian city, can you?

If you rank the Canadian hockey cities, Winnipeg is a distant 7th on almost everybody's list.

Having a children's museum doesn't change the fact that it's a whole lot worse than literally every other option. It's the coldest, and the most isolated city.
every city has its perks - just some more than others!

im sure Winnipeg can be a blast for a weekend!!

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
My 13 year old son has gotten into hockey and I was very happy to hear him suggest that we go on a trip during a school break to somewhere in Canada to watch a game or two. Neither of us have been before, so seeking some suggestions. We'd likely go for 4-5 days sometime during February 17-25, 2024. It looks like every Canadian team is playing at home at least once during this time.

Here are the things we'd like, in order of importance:
1. NHL hockey (obviously). Stadium & game day experience, reasonable ticket availability and cost, ability to tour stadium, things to do around stadium, lower level hockey in the same city, other non-game hockey related things to do in the area.
2. Non-hockey sightseeing, things to do in the city.
3. Good food.
4. Not an outrageously expensive city would be a plus. Not looking to break the bank here.
5. Proximity to another NHL city, though we'd be okay with just staying in a single city, too.

Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg? Happy to hear any not-just-ripping-on-another-teams-city ;) suggestions, thanks!
I am a former Montrealer living in Ottawa so i can speak to those 2 cities. Montreal tickets will be more expensive than Ottawa but the arena experience will be better in Montreal. Montreal will probably be easier to fly into in terms of flight options. If you want to do both cities, Mtl plays at home against Buffalo on Wednesday Feb 21st. They also play at home on Saturday the 24th against the caps. The mid week game would probably be a bit easier/cheaper to get tickets for. The senators are home on the 24th against Vegas if you want to get a game in each city. Ottawa will be a cheaper ticket, even against the cup champs. To get from one to the other you might be best to rent a car (the Ottawa arena is well outside of the city centre)

Montreal's AHL team also has a home game on the 23rd that you might want to attend. Tickets are cheap from 20 to 50 $ cdn. for 50 you can probably get a ticket a couple rows up. They play in a 10,000 seat arena in Laval. Laval is the island just north of the island of Mtl. Note Canadians play in bell centre, the Laval arena has a similar name- Place Bell.

15 plus years ago when I lived in Mtl my employer had season tickets in the 1st row by the glass near visitor bench. I remember being at a game with a client in those seats. It was against Philly. During the warm up, there is a father and his maybe 10 year old son down by the glass watching the warmup doing a similar trip from Philly. We are chatting and find out their tickets are pretty much up in the nosebleeds. My client says to me in French, "if you want to offer to switch tickets with them go ahead- I don't need to sit down here- the beer will taste just as good up there" So I offer them to switch seats, That kid must have thanked us a 100 times.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
I just spent 8 days in Quebec (2 in Quebec City, 6 in Montreal) for sightseeing and hockey. I've also been to Calgary and Vancouver in previous years, although not for hockey reasons.

Montreal might be too french / european in some ways for the OP, but it's what I liked most about it. The atmosphere at Laval for the AHL team is great (and dirt cheap by comparsion to the Big Club) and there's plenty to do and see in Montreal and the environs. There aren't many better cityscape views than the one from Mont Royal.

Vancouver? Strking location for sure, but are you going to want to hire a bike and ride round the harbour paths etc in the middle of Feb? Grouse Mountain is worth a trip too.

Calgary? Poor 3rd, sorry Albertans, but Banff and Lake Louise are well within reach.

Jack Spider

Jun 2, 2022
My 13 year old son has gotten into hockey and I was very happy to hear him suggest that we go on a trip during a school break to somewhere in Canada to watch a game or two. Neither of us have been before, so seeking some suggestions. We'd likely go for 4-5 days sometime during February 17-25, 2024. It looks like every Canadian team is playing at home at least once during this time.

1. NHL hockey (obviously). Stadium & game day experience, reasonable ticket availability and cost, ability to tour stadium, things to do around stadium, lower level hockey in the same city, other non-game hockey related things to do in the area.
3. Good food.
4. Not an outrageously expensive city would be a plus. Not looking to break the bank here.
5. Proximity to another NHL city, though we'd be okay with just staying in a single city, too.

Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg? Happy to hear any not-just-ripping-on-another-teams-city ;) suggestions, thanks!
1-2-3: Downtown Montreal has all that. Check if there are interesting concerts at the bell center during your visit. The underground malls are unique. The metro system is convenient to visit other areas and some stations are true pieces of art.
4: Games are expensive against the rivals or McDavid/Bedard type players, but otherwise the price are worth it for the experience.
5: Ottawa. 1h30 ish drive. You can some ice-level tickets for a low price.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
That's not what you said.

I took my kid there and he had fun. There's also a zoo there but I'll wager it's not open in the winter.
Winnipeg is not close to the rest, it's the worst option of all the cities. If you're forced to go there you could have fun, just nowhere near as much fun as you'd have in any of the other cities.

But since you're so insistent I'll edit my original comment to reflect this.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Winnipeg is not close to the rest, it's the worst option of all the cities. If you're forced to go there you could have fun, just nowhere near as much fun as you'd have in any of the other cities.

But since you're so insistent I'll edit my original comment to reflect this.

It's still a modern Canadian city with lots to do. It's not like bringing a kid to Fort McMurray or something, that's all.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Why does everyone shit on Winnipeg in these types of threads with zero mention of Ottawa? That is the most boring City in Canada.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Why does everyone shit on Winnipeg in these types of threads with zero mention of Ottawa? That is the most boring City in Canada.

It's great for tourists. That's why it's boring to live there.

It's clean, the people are nice, it's a very walkable city with lots of taxpayer-funded things to see and do.

Sure, it's bland the way Disney World is bland. That doesn't stop millions of people from going there.

But I've lived all over the world and I choose to live here now.

It's also great for families, the traffic isn't too bad (except on game nights), there's ski hills and parks and beautiful scenery within a 15 minute drive.

In the summer you have the music festivals, the Busker festivals, the parkways, the Market, the Changing of the Guard, Parliament Hill shows.

In the winter you have Winterlude, skating along the canal, three hockey teams, skiing, cross-country skiing along the river.

Reactions: David Bruce Banner

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
It's great for tourists. That's why it's boring to live there.

It's clean, the people are nice, it's a very walkable city with lots of taxpayer-funded things to see and do.
?

Are you talking about Ottawa? It's none of those things. I liked living there for a few years, but unless you are into museums, not where I would take kids.

Toronto and Montreal have more to offer for kids, but Montreal is more $$$ friendly especially if you include seeing a game.

OP, if you go to Ottawa and want to see a hockey game, be sure you put aside 2.5 hours so you can sit on the 417 in the most aggro traffic in Ontario while you make your way to the middle of nowhere (where the arena is, essentially a giant parking lot).

• Haha
Reactions: Mrb1p and NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
?

Are you talking about Ottawa? It's none of those things. I liked living there for a few years, but unless you are into museums, not where I would take kids.

Toronto and Montreal have more to offer for kids, but Montreal is more $$$ friendly especially if you include seeing a game.

OP, if you go to Ottawa and want to see a hockey game, be sure you put aside 2.5 hours so you can sit on the 417 in the most aggro traffic in Ontario while you make your way to the middle of nowhere (where the arena is, essentially a giant parking lot).

I'm afraid I can't take anything you say about Ottawa seriously.

I'm not going to get into more of this "dumping on everyone else's city" crap that everyone seems to enjoy in these threads, but I had a choice to live in Montreal or Toronto and I chose here with my wife for a reason.

Jack Spider

Jun 2, 2022
Winnipeg is in the middle of nowhere. I like spending a day or two in Ottawa in the summer it's a short drive from Montreal. Love riding the bike and spending an evening on a terrasse. During winter you can ice skate at some beautiful spots.

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
Vancouver is arguably your best answer. Climate change has made it so that it doesn't even rain there that much anymore... hence the wildfire season.
When I was a kid the mountains surrounding the city were always covered in snow all Winter. Not so much so anymore.
I mean, it is possible it could be rainy or even snowy in mid-February... but the chances that it could be sunny and mild are just as likely.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I know your son specifically requested Canada, but looking at that week, maybe a pit stop in Boston could be fun?

2/17: (Saturday)
[5pm] Kings@Bruins
[6pm] Providence@Boston University

2/18: (Sunday)
[1pm] UMass@Boston College

2/19: (Monday)
[1pm] Stars@Bruins

Couple of matinees would leave the evenings open for more touristy things? College games might be a fun environment for your son. Although you probably could stay local for a DU game for a similar experience.

Reactions: denverdevil

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Born and bred in Winnipeg. Now living 30km south, but still work in the city every day.

Most of what was said here is pretty accurate - here are my take on the items presented.

- Cold. Yup. -40's with the windchill is not uncommon. Also beautiful -14 days are not uncommon.
- Downtown arena area is pretty rough after dark. Game nights with all the people around - it is just fine. Downtown at night should not be your destination except to goto the games. Busses outside the arena take to all areas of town. Hotels down there are pretty decent too and very convenient getting to / from the game(s)
- Tons of great ethnic food options. One example (my personal favorite) Siam Thai on St. Annes road has won a ton of national and international awards. Super cheap compared to any other city.
- Children's museum is fantastic - however, holds no appeal at all to someone 13 years of age. 4-9 would be the ideal ages. Have been there like 30 times with mine before they hit 10.
- Significantly less expensive than the popular Vancouver/Montreal/Calgary, etc. I have been to all places and love them all.
- Correct, that not a ton of stuff to do in the middle of the winter. HOWEVER....
- The week that you are coming is the annual Festival du Voyageur event. This 10 day event (16th to 25th) is fantastic and could fill a ton of your time with indoor and outdoor activities in between Jets and Moose hockey games. Local culture festival from the largest French community outside of Quebec.
- Jets play one game - Minnesota (*rival game* 21st)
- Moose play Milwaukee (17th & 19th) (Nashville farm team)
- As of now, tickets remain readily available to purchase.

No matter what you do, have a wonderful time and bring toques, gloves, hooded sweaters (bunnyhugs for all my friends in SK) and a quality jacket - that living in Colorado you surely have, and footwear (hiking boots are idea for what you would be needed).

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport

3. Good food.

I noticed your from "Denver". So if Skiing or Boarding is a thing for your family. It's definitely Vancouver. You could turn it into a double adventure and head to Whistler BC for a skiing day trip

Jack Spider

Jun 2, 2022
I noticed your from "Denver". So if Skiing or Boarding is a thing for your family. It's definitely Vancouver. You could turn it into a double adventure and head to Whistler BC for a skiing day trip
Whistler is a great destination for a ski trip, but it's not a ``definitely Vancouver`` just because of a mountain on a hockey trip. Mont Saint-Bruno is 20 mins from downtown Montreal.

denverdevil

Nov 13, 2007
Denver, CO
I know your son specifically requested Canada, but looking at that week, maybe a pit stop in Boston could be fun?

2/17: (Saturday)
[5pm] Kings@Bruins
[6pm] Providence@Boston University

2/18: (Sunday)
[1pm] UMass@Boston College

2/19: (Monday)
[1pm] Stars@Bruins

Couple of matinees would leave the evenings open for more touristy things? College games might be a fun environment for your son. Although you probably could stay local for a DU game for a similar experience.
Thanks! Someone else suggested Boston, too. We have family there and have visited a bunch and seen a Bruins game. It was a lot of fun, but I think we'll skip it again for this trip.

We live within walking distance of DU and the games there are super fun!

Reactions: Brodeur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad