Which Canadian city for a short family hockey trip?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Having seen a game in all Canadian locations except Winnipeg and Ottawa my experience is that Montreal is the right choice. Amazing hockey atmosphere, the fans are into it and having a great time. Yes it’s cold but so what, Montreal has lots to do and would be somewhat of a different cultural experience as well.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
My 13 year old son has gotten into hockey and I was very happy to hear him suggest that we go on a trip during a school break to somewhere in Canada to watch a game or two. Neither of us have been before, so seeking some suggestions. We'd likely go for 4-5 days sometime during February 17-25, 2024. It looks like every Canadian team is playing at home at least once during this time.

Here are the things we'd like, in order of importance:
1. NHL hockey (obviously). Stadium & game day experience, reasonable ticket availability and cost, ability to tour stadium, things to do around stadium, lower level hockey in the same city, other non-game hockey related things to do in the area.
2. Non-hockey sightseeing, things to do in the city.
3. Good food.
4. Not an outrageously expensive city would be a plus. Not looking to break the bank here.
5. Proximity to another NHL city, though we'd be okay with just staying in a single city, too.

Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg? Happy to hear any not-just-ripping-on-another-teams-city ;) suggestions, thanks!

Not saying it has to be Calgary, but to answer your questions from a Calgary perspective:

1. For Calgary if you contact the CSEC group/the Flames, you can sometimes luck out in some extra behind the scenes tours. It doesn't always happen, but there's a chance.

2. By car: Banff is a 1.5 hours a way, Lake Louise 2 hours away. Beautiful scenery, maybe some skiing, snow shoeing, dog sledding, skating... not sure how much of that interests a kid. Drumheller is around 2 hours away. Lots of super cool dinosaur bones at the Royal Tyrell museum if your kid is into that. Solid options in the Zoo, science centre etc. around the city... but not sure if it's going to blow someone's socks off.

3. Alberta beef is good, but Calgary is weird. You probably won't be blown away by the food while you're here, but it typically won't be completely awful as well. Can anyone confirm how difficult it is to find pho sate anywhere else other than Alberta? Anywhere in Canada has some interesting non-USA available food like ketchup chips, certain chocolates and candies? Buy a flat of Kinder surprise here and have fun? (not Kinder joy) Don't bring them back to the USA though. Banned there supposedly and you'll get into a ton of trouble if they catch you. Rather than foodie stuff, I think this could interest kids more. But this isn't Calgary unique.

4. I don't know about this one. I assume it's middle of the pack for costs. I don't think we're highest or lowest. Calgary and Edmonton's consumption taxes are lower than the others? (GST only, not HST or any PST).

5. Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton are basically just over an hour away from each other flight wise. Calgary/Edmonton 3.5 hours away by car. Calgary/Vancouver like 12 hours by car.

Reactions: denverdevil

Mr Kotter

Aug 18, 2011
Waikiki
There are a few reasonable replies regarding Winnipeg. It's not the glamorous choice, and guaranteed to be the coldest but it has its plusses. It's probably the cheapest option, and as mentioned the Festival de Voyageur coincides with your timeline.

IF you choose Winnipeg and if I were you I would rent a car and drive down to Grand Forks, North Dakota, only 2 hours away, to watch UND play Minnesota -Duluth on the 23 and 24. Ralph Engelsted Arena is very impressive and the atmosphere is unbeatable.

Jason316

Oct 3, 2017
Santa Monica California
Has an American who as traveled in 4 provinces of Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal my rankings are:

1. VANCOUVER

2. MONTREAL
3. TORONTO
4. CALGARY
5. EDMONTON

British Columbia as so many different places to see from the Okanagan Valley, Victoria Island, Whistler and of course Vancouver. The mountains around downtown Vancouver are amazing and worth the trip alone. Plus it as lots of little beautiful islands around the province.

GM Arena and BC Place are right next to each other if I remember which is cool like Inglewood here in Cali. The downtown fibe is more like LA so I really liked that minus the crowds lol

Only 2.5 hours from Seattle and 5 hours from Portland if u want to see the entire North West.

A little rant I passed through Portland and no offense Portland is a dump. Vancouver British Columbia and Seattle Washington are still great cities. I prefer Seattle over Vancouver but I prefer British Columbia over Washington state.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
My 13 year old son has gotten into hockey and I was very happy to hear him suggest that we go on a trip during a school break to somewhere in Canada to watch a game or two. Neither of us have been before, so seeking some suggestions. We'd likely go for 4-5 days sometime during February 17-25, 2024. It looks like every Canadian team is playing at home at least once during this time.

Here are the things we'd like, in order of importance:
1. NHL hockey (obviously). Stadium & game day experience, reasonable ticket availability and cost, ability to tour stadium, things to do around stadium, lower level hockey in the same city, other non-game hockey related things to do in the area.
2. Non-hockey sightseeing, things to do in the city.
3. Good food.
4. Not an outrageously expensive city would be a plus. Not looking to break the bank here.
5. Proximity to another NHL city, though we'd be okay with just staying in a single city, too.

Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg? Happy to hear any not-just-ripping-on-another-teams-city ;) suggestions, thanks!
Ottawa is within a reasonable driving distance of Montreal and Toronto, has history, decent restaurant scene, etc but the NHL game day thing is a little iffy.
Calgary and Edmonton is just too much like Denver (we can't even say hey we got the Rockies) because Denver does too.
Vancouver would be good especially now with the Kraken as Seattle is a 3 hr drive away. Decent food scene, stuff to do around the city, good winter sport scene, though it can be pricy.
Winnipeg great game day thing not an expensive city, thats about all i know about Winnipeg except that it is cold in the Winter
Toronto lots of stuff to do, reasonable distance to Buffalo and Ottawa, great food scene but probably the most expensive place

I would say Montreal but I like the Euro feel of Old Montreal, lots of things to do, great hockey atmosphere, great food scene fairly close to Ottawa.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I can say having taken my son on a NHL road trip vacation to NY its a great way to create those memories that last.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
After much deliberation, we decided on Toronto.

It could've been any of a number of the options, but for this trip at least, the hall of fame tipped it to Toronto. I'm sure another of these great cities is in the cards for a future trip, though.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Niagara Falls should look spectacular in the winter. Lighted up at night. You have to get there. Have fun. Stay safe.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Edmonton for the sake of wanting to experience truly living in Canada, good hockey fans, and West Edmonton Mall. Also, you could make a trip to Calgary as well to see the mountains.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto

It could've been any of a number of the options, but for this trip at least, the hall of fame tipped it to Toronto. I'm sure another of these great cities is in the cards for a future trip, though.

Try to take in a Marlies game if they in town & you have time as well!

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
If you want to capture the scenery of a city on top of your hockey viewing, Vancouver is breathtaking.

Toronto is likely the choice that gives you the most supplementary options for the city, and there is always a buzz in and around the arena when going to the game (the arena itself when inside is a dud though). If you're adventurous -- and of course have the budget -- you can always also take a train ride to Ottawa and/or Montreal to catch another game, along with a drive down to Buffalo.

Montreal has that same buzz to it, and the downtown is happening as well. I know your son is only 13 so you'll avoid some of the finer, err, establishments of the city that it's known for. But Montreal is beautiful and happening, has great food options, and would be a very good choice to visit.

As someone who lives in Toronto and loves winter, I eventually want to make my way out to Alberta to catch an Oilers and/or Flames game. Edmonton seemingly has a lot of options it can offer, albeit at a very frigid temperature.

I'd say small-town Winnipeg would be the lowest option on the list. Not from personal experience, but practically everyone who I've heard talk about it would definitely not rank it at the top of their list on Canadian cities to visit, hockey or not. (That's no slight to the Winnipegites on this site).

Enjoy your travels! Some special memories will be made with your son.

EDIT: Only read the first few pages and missed your post above. Can't go wrong with the Toronto choice. A trip to the Hall of Fame should be in the cards as well.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
If you want to capture the scenery of a city on top of your hockey viewing, Vancouver is breathtaking.

Toronto is likely the choice that gives you the most supplementary options for the city, and there is always a buzz in and around the arena when going to the game (the arena itself when inside is a dud though). If you're adventurous -- and of course have the budget -- you can always also take a train ride to Ottawa and/or Montreal to catch another game, along with a drive down to Buffalo.

Montreal has that same buzz to it, and the downtown is happening as well. I know your son is only 13 so you'll avoid some of the finer, err, establishments of the city that it's known for. But Montreal is beautiful and happening, has great food options, and would be a very good choice to visit.

As someone who lives in Toronto and loves winter, I eventually want to make my way out to Alberta to catch an Oilers and/or Flames game. Edmonton seemingly has a lot of options it can offer, albeit at a very frigid temperature.

I'd say small-town Winnipeg would be the lowest option on the list. Not from personal experience, but practically everyone who I've heard talk about it would definitely not rank it at the top of their list on Canadian cities to visit, hockey or not. (That's no slight to the Winnipegites on this site).

Enjoy your travels! Some special memories will be made with your son.

EDIT: Only read the first few pages and missed your post above. Can't go wrong with the Toronto choice. A trip to the Hall of Fame should be in the cards as well.
Agree about both Toronto and Montreal.

Also, when your son turns 18, please encourage him to go back to Montreal with his friends.

If you go to Toronto, get the City Pass. It'll give you access to the CN Tower, the Ripleys Aquarium next door, the Royal Ontario Museum, Casa Loma (a castle in the city), and others (you can pick 4). Most of those things are downtown.

The arena and hall of fame are all accessible walking from Union Station downtown. The metro is extremely easy to use.

Montreal is my favorite city, however you really need to be 18+ to get the maximum experience. It's full of world class restaurants that a 13 year old might not appreciate along with great bars, speakeasies, adult establishments, and more. The metro there is also really easy to use and quick. If the weather is okay, walking between St Catherines (modern downtown) and Rue St Paul (old city) is easy. Notre Dame is beautiful and they do tours and have a light show at night that's worth it.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016

Solid choice! As someone not from Toronto, I was there for 4-5 days back in September and caught a preseason game and it was a pretty enjoyable experience all around. We had an airbnb not far and the transit was pretty good to get around on.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021

Have a nice trip. Toronto is a nice city.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Has an American who as traveled in 4 provinces of Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal my rankings are:

1. VANCOUVER

2. MONTREAL
3. TORONTO
4. CALGARY
5. EDMONTON

British Columbia as so many different places to see from the Okanagan Valley, Victoria Island, Whistler and of course Vancouver. The mountains around downtown Vancouver are amazing and worth the trip alone. Plus it as lots of little beautiful islands around the province.

GM Arena and BC Place are right next to each other if I remember which is cool like Inglewood here in Cali. The downtown fibe is more like LA so I really liked that minus the crowds lol

Only 2.5 hours from Seattle and 5 hours from Portland if u want to see the entire North West.

A little rant I passed through Portland and no offense Portland is a dump. Vancouver British Columbia and Seattle Washington are still great cities. I prefer Seattle over Vancouver but I prefer British Columbia over Washington state.

Hard to argue with this but....

- I live a half hour from Toronto and I personally don't know why anyone would ever visit there so I think you have them a little high.
- Vancouver's great but the Okanagan Valley isn't really happening on a short trip is it? BTW, if anything, Interior BC is even more beautiful than Vancouver so I would highly recommend it if the OP could manage it.
- To me, Calgary would be the right choice. Go to Banff while there (or if they have time, drive down to Waterton, Crowsnest, Frank Slide, etc., so much to see in that province), drive to Edmonton for the second city the OP wanted (I'd love to see that new Oilers building).
- Second choice for me would be Montreal. Ottawa not far away and it's not a crazy drive to Quebec City, something everyone should see once (and I mean Old Quebec - what an amazing place). The OP could even plan it during the Carnival (cheezy but still fun, especially for the kids)!

Just saying, Toronto sucks and you won't like it. Sorry my fellow GTAers but you know it's true deep down.

Ducer

Jan 20, 2021
If your flying catch the leaf game saturday take the VIA train from Union station to Montreal for the wednesday game and fly home from montreal.

mehavecable

Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
There is nothing like a Hab game at the Bell Centre on a Saturday night.

There is nothing like a Hab game at the Bell Centre on a Saturday night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad