Speculation: Where will Darren Raddysh sign? (Answer: Rockford)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
A few different reports suggest that it's not a case of Raddysh trying to make up his mind, deciding what's the best option, but rather that no team has actually offered him a contract. At this point, I could see him ending up in Europe next year.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
A few different reports suggest that it's not a case of Raddysh trying to make up his mind, deciding what's the best option, but rather that no team has actually offered him a contract. At this point, I could see him ending up in Europe next year.

Surely he'd get multiple offers of an AHL deal? whether that would be better for his career than Europe is open to debate but I think their are 6 players in the finals who started their careers on AHL deals (Sheary, Rowney, Irwin, Gaudreau, McLeod, Fiddler).

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Surely he'd get multiple offers of an AHL deal? whether that would be better for his career than Europe is open to debate but I think their are 6 players in the finals who started their careers on AHL deals (Sheary, Rowney, Irwin, Gaudreau, McLeod, Fiddler).

Absolutely, an AHL deal makes sense too.

Have you got a guess where he ends up?

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
We do, but we need a veteran D to pull the top 4 together , we need a Shattenkirk, Alzner, Fowler or Vatenan, we don't really NEED A guy who in all likelihood isn't playing for us this season
t

We still need defense on the Marlies and this guy is a RHD. Our pipeline is pitiful for RHD.

Guy would be a solid addition if the Leafs could sign him.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly, even if he signs an AHL contract, he can still be signed away if offered an NHL contract.

Having said that, not sure who would offer him an NHL contract.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
t

We still need defense on the Marlies and this guy is a RHD. Our pipeline is pitiful for RHD.

Guy would be a solid addition if the Leafs could sign him.

Yup, hes only 21 too, he still has time to develop. I was reading an article about him only a few weeks ago, Erie mgmt believes he can become an nhler but he still needs to develop, likely in the ahl. Wouldn't be surprised if he was a full-time nhler by 23

JonnyCanuck604

Oct 28, 2016
Leafs have allot of need at RHD, and can provide him with a good opportunity.
With our LHD Depth he will likely have a partner who is pretty high end.

Brogman
Rosen
Dermott

All LHD who are pretty darn good. 2 of the 3 at least will be in the AHL next year.
He would be the top RHD on the Marlies (only Justin Holl and Steve Oleksy are RHD)
Leafs can also afford to pay him a max-bonus contract OR give him an AHL only deal that pays way more if he wants cash now.

Edit: Im not sure where he would get a better situation to grow with a young team, be surrounded by talent, and have amazing coaching. Also his home town!
God you leaf fans are too much. Every single free agent is coming to the Leafs go on and on about how good a fit he is, then when he goes somewhere else, oh he sucks we didn't want him. well, hate to burst you bubble he arrived in Vancouver tonight. I will try to upload the pic of him and my GF and a pic of his ticket sorry boys he's signing with the Canucks.

BoDacious Horvat

Sep 1, 2013
Vancouver
God you leaf fans are too much. Every single free agent is coming to the Leafs go on and on about how good a fit he is, then when he goes somewhere else, oh he sucks we didn't want him. well, hate to burst you bubble he arrived in Vancouver tonight. I will try to upload the pic of him and my GF and a pic of his ticket sorry boys he's signing with the Canucks.

Man I really hope you're right but if you're wrong.. oof

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I thought a report had the canucks out?

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

Hey man if he signs with the Nucks good on you. He looks like he can develop into a #5/6 guy if it all works out. Some people snear at that but a NHL player who doesnt cost a draft pick is a huge steal!

Saying that, I still think for a young guy who can decide where he wants to play the Marlies/Leafs are a pretty ideal situation. Having the AHL and NHL team in the same city has been a huge boost to our young guys. Being able to get good minutes because the organization is weak on the right side just make it even more appealing.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

He looks like a very good prospect. Good luck to the Canucks!

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

Still waiting for that upload ...

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Did he attend San Jose's dev camp? Whenever I type his name into my macbook search bar it says he's #97 for San Jose...

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Bolded parts of my comments are what actually get to the point. The rest is extra :laugh:

Is he eligible to be re-entered into the draft? Could that be it?

No he's not draft eligible. As North American junior, he missed his two year draft window.

why is that?
He has never been on an NHL contract (as he gained his free agency by not being drafted during his draft window).

Typically UFAs can only sign a contract in a given for the current season. The new season begins July 1, so, say April 4 2017, a UFA either has to sign a deal that includes the 2016-17 season, or wait until July 1 to sign a deal starting in 2017-18.

For all UFAs who have never signed an NHL contract before, whether they are college, junior, or European signings (ie. Draft-related free agents; players unsigned after being drafted or who were not drafted) they have an extra window between March 1 - June 1 where they can sign for the upcoming season. If they do not sign before that window closes, they have to wait until July 1 like every other UFA. (NHL CBA 50.8 (d))

This window is there, largely just to make things neater. There is a lot going on in June for the League offices, without even discussing playoffs. Player awards are finalized, June 1 is when the NHLPA must have their insurance benefit modification requests submitted, prelude to free agency, buy-outs, arbitration filings, and of course the draft, among others.

So, they draw a line somewhere so they can have better internal organization. This allows them to get a better a picture of free agency and who is available, but most specifically it ties very much into creating a draft list.

A player who initially went undrafted but who still has remaining draft window counts as a draft-related free agent during the season and during the March-June window, but come June 1, they enter back into the draft. So since some of this "draft-related free agent" group can go back into the draft, they close the window such that the League can then have an internal list of all players available.

Closing the window prevents situations such as "With the 40th selection, Florida is proud to select Sasha Chmelevski AND announce the signing of Morgan Geekie to an ELC" and moreso to avoid situations like, "With the 119th selection the Chicago Blackhawks select Dylan Coghlan", "Ohh... sorry! The Vancouver Canucks submitted a SPC at 11:58:12 am, and you didn't submit your pick until 11:58:54 am! They beat you to it! Ineligible selection; pick forfeited!"

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly, even if he signs an AHL contract, he can still be signed away if offered an NHL contract.

Having said that, not sure who would offer him an NHL contract.

My understanding is that the standard AHL/ECHL contract includes an NHL-out clause (and ECHL often, but not always includes an AHL one). I can't find a concrete answer on that but that's what the general understanding seems to be, as well as my best interpretation of the PHPA CBA for players in the AHL/ECHL.

I have never heard of a case of an AHL player being denied an NHL contract, but I can imagine, if it is not defaulted into the contract and a player fails to negotiate it in, then the player would have to request the AHL terminate his contract and the team would reserve the right to refuse that request. Again, I personally haven't heard of that though.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
A player who initially went undrafted but who still has remaining draft window counts as a draft-related free agent during the season and during the March-June window, but come June 1, they enter back into the draft. So since some of this "draft-related free agent" group can go back into the draft, they close the window such that the League can then have an internal list of all players available.

Clarification on this: only players who have exhausted their draft eligibility can be signed during the March 1st to June 1st window. [CBA 10.1(d)(i)]

Undrafted players with draft eligibility remaining can sign during a pre-season window. For major junior players that window is the conclusion of the Entry draft to the start of the major junior season. For other players the window is conclusion of the Entry draft till the start of the NHL regular season. [CBA 8.9(b)]

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Clarification on this: only players who have exhausted their draft eligibility can be signed during the March 1st to June 1st window. [CBA 10.1(d)(i)]

Undrafted players with draft eligibility remaining can sign during a pre-season window. For major junior players that window is the conclusion of the Entry draft to the start of the major junior season. For other players the window is conclusion of the Entry draft till the start of the NHL regular season. [CBA 8.9(b)]

Ah thanks!

TIL, even!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad