Speculation: Where will Darren Raddysh sign? (Answer: Rockford)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
I think the Hawks just broke the entry-level contract for late bloomers.

If Raddysh signed an ELC, he could only make 70k this year, since he probably isn't making the team out of camp. However, its my understanding that under an AHL contract, the Hawks can pretty much pay him whatever they want. Why not take a few hundred thousand guaranteed rather than a more modest 70k and just sign a contract next year? And of course, the Hawks get a free roster spot.

This could be the new norm for UDFAs. And, of course, it greatly favors financially gifted teams like Chicago.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

If Raddysh signed an ELC, he could only make 70k this year, since he probably isn't making the team out of camp. However, its my understanding that under an AHL contract, the Hawks can pretty much pay him whatever they want. Why not take a few hundred thousand guaranteed rather than a more modest 70k and just sign a contract next year? And of course, the Hawks get a free roster spot.

This could be the new norm for UDFAs. And, of course, it greatly favors financially gifted teams like Chicago.

Eh, I don't see it. They'd have zero guarantee the kid stays. Is he not eligible for a one way contract?

Cubs2024wildcard

Hung out with Livvy Dunne. You didnt.
Apr 29, 2015
Good signing again for the Hawks.

Love the Hawks agressiveness in poaching these types of players.

Work out, great
Bust, oh well.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

This makes a lot of sense. Smart management.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

That's not really how it works. Yes, any two way deal will have an nhl salary and a much lower Ahl salary attached to it but there is usually a guaranteed salary listed as well that is somewhere in between so he would not just make 70k.

Chicago hasn't discovered some genius business move to save money, they just didn't think he was worthy of an nhl deal.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
even if this were a way to get him more money for the time being, assuming Chicago thought he was an actual NHL prospect eventually if he panned out he would have to sign an NHL deal. Unless he was over the age of 24 he'd have to sign an ELC for 1 year then to get into the league(more than likely a 2 year ELC assuming it doesn't take 3 years). Whereas if he got his ELC out of the way now he'd make more then. Is the extra little bit of money now worth it to him? And is working around that worth it to the Hawks who could basically "lose" him at any moment if he decides it's better elsewhere if a team offers him a deal and an NHL spot?

I figured he'd get an NHL deal but nobody offering him one seems more believable than a convoluted workaround that doesn't really make sense for either party

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Doesn't mean he'll sign an NHL contract soon but technically he can't be signed by an NHL team until July 1st.

He could have signed an NHL deal in April but that window has closed a long time ago.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

He could make $160k+ this year on a standard ELC. Teams can include 10% of the NHL compensation as a signing bonus.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Clearly you've never heard of/been to Rockford.

What does Rockford have to do with it? Raddysh is trying to carve out an NHL career and clearly he thought this was the best opportunity/chance to work on his game at the professional level - he's not picking a vacation spot.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
What does Rockford have to do with it? Raddysh is trying to carve out an NHL career and clearly he thought this was the best opportunity/chance to work on his game at the professional level - he's not picking a vacation spot.

Rockford is a bad team. Chicago pilfered their best players for the nhl roster last season.

If he's trying to build his case for an NHL contract, there are FAR better teams to do it.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

What does the city he agreed to live in/play in have to do with it can't seriously be your answer.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
What does the city he agreed to live in/play in have to do with it can't seriously be your answer.

You're right, he should've picked a nicer city with less opportunities in a system that doesn't suit him because that's how your further your career along. Really it's pointless as we don't know what Rockford offered or told him, but it quite clearly convinced him enough to sign there. I think he can handle Rockford for a little while.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Rockford is a bad team. Chicago pilfered their best players for the nhl roster last season.

If he's trying to build his case for an NHL contract, there are FAR better teams to do it.

So it seems like he will get a boatload of icetime then? Maybe that's what others couldn't offer? Do you have a list of any other teams he was talking to that would be better for him?

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
You're right, he should've picked a nicer city with less opportunities in a system that doesn't suit him because that's how your further your career along. Really it's pointless as we don't know what Rockford offered or told him, but it quite clearly convinced him enough to sign there. I think he can handle Rockford for a little while.

We'll agree to disagree then. What kind of odds do you want to put on him signing with Chicago vs Vancouver?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad