Where Does Auston Matthews Rank For You As A Goal Scorer All Time?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It is funny that no one on this board is talking about how good this guy is defensively. He is a take away magician. He strips more pucks than any of the other top players in the NHL.
Two things:
1. People like you mention all the time, on this very board, that he's a great defensive player.
2. This thread is about goal-scoring, not defensive play, so not mentioning it on here would be the smart thing to do.

• Haha
Reactions: authentic and MXD

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Lol if he keeps this up for another 10+ years he’ll be the best goal scorer of all-time. Gretzky led the NHL in goals 5 times, Ovechkin 9. Unless by keep this up you meant just age exceptionally well, because if he continues being the best goal scorer in the game then he’ll have best goal scorer locked up before 10 years.
I’ll add Bobby Hull 8x by age 32 or 33 before he left for WHA and making 4-5x the money.

Athletes are getting better as time goes on in all sports. You may subjectively prefer a past era for entertainment value but there's really no case that they were filled with better players. You can see it in objective measurements like timed world records in Olympic sports. Training just keeps getting more efficient and produces better results.
Agree, Training and equipment are miles ahead now.

Last edited:

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
If anyone actually has a chance to break "the record" it would be him. He's been f***in dynamite since 18 years old, definitely the best shot right now in the league and if he does it for 15 more years who knows.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Read better.
I read just fine thanks.

here’s you
The only two seasons he didn't hit it, he was on pace but missed games. If not for those missed games, by age 26 he would be one season short of matching Gartner's career total of 40+ goal seasons.

Me - now include Gartner’s pace, for missed games.

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
It is funny that no one on this board is talking about how good this guy is defensively. He is a take away magician. He strips more pucks than any of the other top players in the NHL.
This thread is about goal scoring. If you want to mention defensive game, are you willing to hear how terrible he's at playmaking — given that he's a highly touted franchise center with a top-3 highest paycheck?

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
This is why he gets dragged on here

Everyone is basically agreeing that he’s the best goal scorer in the league but that’s just not enough for some people. You have to make up this myth about him as an all around player.

He’s a great goal scorer, the rest of his game leaves a lot to be desired

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Again, it's entirely injury dependent and/or off spell but on current trajectory, he has a chance to become the second or third youngest ever to 500 goals. He COULD hit it by 28 but more likely by 29.

#1 is Gretzky at 25 years and 300 days.

#2 is Bossy at 28 years and 345 days.

I think everyone else was 30 or more.
Yep, Bobby Hull missed by a month, but the schedule was 10-12 games less in a season then. So if he played in an 80-82 game season, he also makes it.
But you go by the game back then, so he’s a month short.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta

Everyone is basically agreeing that he’s the best goal scorer in the league but that’s just not enough for some people. You have to make up this myth about him as an all around player.

This is 100% inaccurate. Matthews is definitely one of the best defensive forwards in the league, and has been for years now.

• Haha
Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
This is 100% inaccurate. Matthews is definitely one of the best defensive forwards in the league, and has been for years now.
this is a reality solely in the minds of Leaf fans

If he was the best goal scorer and also the best defensive forward in the league the team would be a lot more successful

Reactions: dukeofjive

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

Seems like a pretty complete player to me. He's much more of a well rounded player than McDavid, MacKinnon, or Draisaitl, who are his most often comparables.

Reactions: LivingRentFree

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

Seems like a pretty complete player to me. He's much more of a well rounded player than McDavid, MacKinnon, or Draisaitl, who are his most often comparables.
IMG_4199.jpeg

Damn that is elite bro

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Nobody thinks those players are elite defensively lmfao

Again, you're ignoring the micro stats linked in the second and third tweets wilfully.

"In last season's microstats only Barkov really compared in terms of steals, battles, and puck management."

Mar 26, 2010

Ok if you say so

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Again, you're ignoring the micro stats linked in the second and third tweets wilfully.

"In last season's microstats only Barkov really compared in terms of steals, battles, and puck management."
I didn’t even open them because the first link instantly debunked your claim lmfao

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I didn’t even open them because the first link instantly debunked your claim lmfao

Ok, so mind debunking it? You're being purposely obtuse at this point. The data is right there. Debunk it.

In last season's microstats only Barkov really compared in terms of steals, battles, and puck management.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Ok, so mind debunking it? You're being purposely obtuse at this point. The data is right there. Debunk it.

In last season's microstats only Barkov really compared in terms of steals, battles, and puck management.

Having to go back two seasons to find some slightly better numbers is really not helping you

Also this thread is about goal scoring so I’m gonna stop replying now

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
How much local stat counter are more or less generous from an arena to an other to count a takeaway ?
I'm skeptical of the takeaway stats for that reason. There's inconsistency from one arena to another.

From 2020 to today, Matthews averaged 3.58 takeaways/60 at home vs only 2.48 takeaways/60 on the road. Generally players perform better while at home, so we'd expect a bit of a dropoff, but not >30%.

The same is true for others Leafs. The home/away split is 3.60/2.23 for Marner, 2.16/1.34 for Tavares, and 3.10/1.84 for Nylander.

Besides, there's only so much value in takeaways. If you're taking the puck away a lot, it means the opponent must be in possession of the puck a lot. Bergeron's takeaway numbers aren't overly impressive, probably because when he's on the ice, the Bruins are in possession of the puck the majority of the time.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
All fan bases do it. You are right, it is all for Fun. We are talking about the best hockey players in the world here. Enjoy it man.
Word dude. The sad guys here are the ones that dedicated their entire account to talking shit about any top 10 player. Just enjoy the greatness in front of you.

And I did that when AM potted a hatty against the Phlegms.

Reactions: 34

Mar 26, 2010
Word dude. The sad guys here are the ones that dedicated their entire account to talking shit about any top 10 player. Just enjoy the greatness in front of you.

And I did that when AM potted a hatty against the Phlegms.
Hey man, we all know that McDavid is the best player in the world, and nobody is taking that title from him. Sometimes we like to poke at it for fun, but we all know the truth.

Reactions: AlbOilFAN

morgan_mtl

Apr 1, 2008
Montreal
One of the best in his Era is the way I think you have to view it with how much the game changes over the years.

Putting players like Lemieux, Bure and Hull in today's NHL with no red line rule,3 on 3 overtime and having today sticks technology would be interesting to see their stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad