Where Does Auston Matthews Rank For You As A Goal Scorer All Time?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
if your going down the pace rabbit hole, at least include the years Gartner paced for 40 goals as well,
What rabbit hole? It’s literally irrelevant given Matthews’ already evidenced higher upside. Matthews total after 9 seasons versus Gartner's 9 year peak will be all you need to know. 406 versus 336 (with potentially 121 more games to play). So 70 goals in 121 games.

Then you ask yourself if you think Matthews can finish out his career as a 30 goal scorer. 35 being ideal.

I think you're correct - just Gretzky and Bossy got to 500 goals before their 30th birthdays.

As an aside - Lemieux was at 477 goals by the end of the 1993 season (at which point he was 27 and 6 months). It only took him 28 more games to score those 23 additional goals to get to 500. But, due to injuries and the lockout, that took him 2.5 years! (That was a few weeks past his 30th birthday).
Yup injuries really killed Lemieux. I always felt just visually speaking that Lemieux was the best goal scorer ever.

Reactions: authentic

Mar 26, 2010
It is funny that no one on this board is talking about how good this guy is defensively. He is a take away magician. He strips more pucks than any of the other top players in the NHL.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
It is funny that no one on this board is talking about how good this guy is defensively. He is a take away magician. He strips more pucks than any of the other top players in the NHL.
I’m sure there’s plenty on this board who mention it, but not in this thread since that’s not what this thread is about

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
If Matthews gets his 3rd rocket and 2nd 60 goal season (>=0.73 G/GP)

The following has the same goal scoring resume or better:

1. Alex Ovechkin
2. Bobby Hull
3. Phil Esposito
4. Wayne Gretzky
5. Gordie Howe
6. Maurice Richard
7. Charlie Conacher
8. Pavel Bure
9. Teemu Selanne
10. Mario Lemieux
11. Brett Hull
12. Babe Dye

HM: Mike Bossy

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I think Matthews probably reads HFboards and he’s pissed that you guys were calling McDavid a better goal scorer cause he scored 65.

Matthew’s is determined to score 70 to prove you wrong.

Also, he likely dreams of one day winning an hfboards poll.

Once these personal challenges are complete, he can focus on a cup

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Mar 26, 2010
I’m sure there’s plenty on this board who mention it, but not in this thread since that’s not what this thread is about
Everyone already knows he is the best goal scorer in the NHL.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Based on what? This is takeaways/60 with minimum 30 games played.

1705769606940.png

Auston is 17th

1705769641215.png

Glad to see Drai being one of the best defensive forwards in the NHL.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
If Matthews gets his 3rd rocket and 2nd 60 goal season (>=0.73 G/GP)

The following has the same goal scoring resume or better:

1. Alex Ovechkin
2. Bobby Hull
3. Phil Esposito
4. Wayne Gretzky
5. Gordie Howe
6. Maurice Richard
7. Charlie Conacher
8. Pavel Bure
9. Teemu Selanne
10. Mario Lemieux
11. Brett Hull
12. Babe Dye

HM: Mike Bossy

How does his 41 in 52 games rank? It’s kind of a tragedy to ignore that year due to the league shut down. He won the rocket with only 41 goals, but that’s a 60 goal equivalent season.

With all the talk of era adjusting, that season is much better than a 41 goal season, for obvious reasons

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Based on what? This is takeaways/60 with minimum 30 games played.
Single half season can make something like this noisy:

Since 2020-2021
Stone: 3.68
Malkin: 3.10
Matthews: 2.97
Marner: 2.92
Hughes: 2.81

How much of a good proxy for defensive stats is it ? How much local stat counter are more or less generous from an arena to an other to count a takeaway ?

Bergeron 1.79 during that time could look low, when you have the puck you cannot take it away...

Mar 26, 2010
Ya he is. I won’t put it against him when he let McDavid stand in front of Jones for that McLeod goal. Nobody is perfect.
Shots fired 😂

Would not put it against McDavid that he has 16 goals and that Matthews has almost 40 this season. Nobody is perfect.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Skill, top 5. Unfortunately skill alone doesn't make an all time goal scorer, he needs to keep this up for another 10ish years, and if he does, he'll be one of the all time great goal scorers, possibly #3 behind Gretzky and Ovi, since I doubt he has 12+ years of this left in him.

Lol if he keeps this up for another 10+ years he’ll be the best goal scorer of all-time. Gretzky led the NHL in goals 5 times, Ovechkin 9. Unless by keep this up you meant just age exceptionally well, because if he continues being the best goal scorer in the game then he’ll have best goal scorer locked up before 10 years.

Reactions: 34

Mar 26, 2010
Lol if he keeps this up for another 10+ years he’ll be the best goal scorer of all-time. Gretzky led the NHL in goals 5 times, Ovechkin 9. Unless by keep this up you meant just age exceptionally well, because if he continues being the best goal scorer in the game then he’ll have best goal scorer locked up before 10 years.
Yup. 100%

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Eras aren't created equally. That's not a prerequisite for being better or equal to Matthews.

People love to pick and choose which eras are the best though. Yes the 90s were high in talent, but today I don’t think the overall talent pool is any less. Plus it’s not hard to actually watch and see how his goal scoring skill has transcended those of past eras. It’s not like he’s playing in the 70s or 80s here, home of 9 out of 10 best players of all-time.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Shots fired 😂

Would not put it against McDavid that he has 16 goals and that Matthews has almost 40 this season. Nobody is perfect.
Also idiot Connor isn’t shooting as much. Trust me it’s pissing of the fan base lol he’s going back to pass pass pass pass. But for real though, Auston is probably the best purest scorer in the league. I don’t hate him or the leafs, I cheered for you guys to win round 1 last year!

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
What rabbit hole? It’s literally irrelevant given Matthews’ already evidenced higher upside. Matthews total after 9 seasons versus Gartner's 9 year peak will be all you need to know. 406 versus 336 (with potentially 121 more games to play). So 70 goals in 121 games.

Then you ask yourself if you think Matthews can finish out his career as a 30 goal scorer. 35 being ideal.

Yup injuries really killed Lemieux. I always felt just visually speaking that Lemieux was the best goal scorer ever.

Lemieux was the best goal scorer ever. No one else in history could’ve retired for over 3 years and score 35 goals in 43 games at 35, let alone during the dead puck era. Even Gretzky himself would have trouble scoring more than that if he was in his prime in 2001. I think that alone solidified him as the best goal scorer to me, but Ovechkin and Gretzky will always remain greater due to health.

Reactions: TheStatican

Mar 26, 2010
Also idiot Connor isn’t shooting as much. Trust me it’s pissing of the fan base lol he’s going back to pass pass pass pass. But for real though, Auston is probably the best purest scorer in the league. I don’t hate him or the leafs, I cheered for you guys to win round 1 last year!
Probably? lol your a funny guy.

again… you like to throw those little jabs at the leafs. All good though.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Eras aren't created equally. That's not a prerequisite for being better or equal to Matthews.

Athletes are getting better as time goes on in all sports. You may subjectively prefer a past era for entertainment value but there's really no case that they were filled with better players. You can see it in objective measurements like timed world records in Olympic sports. Training just keeps getting more efficient and produces better results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad