Where Does Auston Matthews Rank For You As A Goal Scorer All Time?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Ovi plays a more rough and tumble style. Also, Matthews scores from areas that are much more sustainable long term. Much more net front than Ovi.
IMO you’re setting yourself up for massive disappointment if you’re expecting Ovi-like longevity from any player. What Ovechkin did post-30 as a goal scorer has no precedent.

Matthews has it in him to clear 600 goals and pass 700. To me, if he gets to that upper bound, I’ll likely see him as Top 5. Where he sits more precisely than that I can’t say yet.

Edit: as to right now? It’s really hard to say. Top 20-ish? There’s too much still in front of him.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Anywhere from 1st to ~10th depending on how he ages. Leafs have a ton invested in sports science and their health staff, their primary goal every year should be keeping this man in peak form for as long as possible.

He hasn't exactly been super healthy in his career so far though so I'd be very surprised if he aged as well as Ovechkin. Probably still ends up top 5 though.

I'll say this: he's the most versatile goal scorer I've ever seen. He has arguably the best shot in the game but is also one of the absolute best at tipping pucks, scoring dirty goals. He beats goalies clean like Ovechkin and is masterful in tight like Crosby.

And I still think the best goal he's ever scored was in his very first NHL game lol

Last edited:

Busher

May 17, 2021
If he finishes the season with another Rocket, he’ll be around top 10-15.

Dye, Conacher, Richard, Howe, Hull, Esposito, Bossy, Kurri, Gretzky, Lemieux, Hull, Bure, Selanne, Yzerman, Ovechkin, Matthews.

Those are the list of 3 time Rocket winners or multiple 60 goal scorers, and Matthews is trending to accomplish both after this season.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
He's one of the best I've ever seen on capitalizing on freebies. Score 3-4 in a nothing game or easy W covers for the frequent no-shows in high stakes games. 'Goal scoring' vs. what he and his team have ultimately accomplished on the ice so far through his career (nothing) go hand in hand imo.

Very entertaining player. Will pad the stats for a very lucrative but ultimately underwhelming career. Ovechkin-lite.

Where do you even come up with this stuff

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
If he finishes the season with another Rocket, he’ll be around top 10-15.

Dye, Conacher, Richard, Howe, Hull, Esposito, Bossy, Kurri, Gretzky, Lemieux, Hull, Bure, Selanne, Yzerman, Ovechkin, Matthews.

Those are the list of 3 time Rocket winners or multiple 60 goal scorers, and Matthews is trending to accomplish both after this season.
An interest comparison for sure. As a pure goal scorer he is going to be in the top 10 of all time.

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
easily top 5 already and possibly will be best goal scorer of all time by time his career is over. and this is coming from someone who hates leaf fans

• Haha
Reactions: McPoyle and 34

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Nowhere as of now . For all I know he could retire early or fall off a cliff play wise or god forbid his career gets ended early . If he keeps it up at the rate he’s going he’ll be fairly high on the list provided he plays long enough. But for what it’s worth I don’t see him having ovi type longevity .
8 seasons is more than enough to get a general idea though right?

Okay so it's 7.5 really but he is already the leaders in goals in the NHL during his 7.5 years and looking like a top 20ish goal scorer of all time one would think right?

He will also have 3 Richards and a 2,3 finish as well but the thing holding him back will probably be playoff goal scoring, which is still pretty good, although there is still time.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

McPoyle

Start breaking bricks wet nips
Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Its a few to years early to start looking at how he ranks all time. If he can continue on his current torrid production of 0.7-0.8 GPG for a few more seasons then he is on the short list.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I can’t answer that question in the middle of his career. Best pure goal scorer since Ovy.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Probably among the top 10 greatest starts to a career. I think that’s pretty fair.
To the age of 26 for sure but from the start of their NHL careers maybe not was looking at Nels Stewart who had this start.

Maybe it's as good maybe not hard to say.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I actually don't expect Matthews to age very well as a goal scorer. He's already got a history of shoulder and wrist issues that have plagued him constantly in his career. One more and we could see a pretty sharp decline.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I actually don't expect Matthews to age very well as a goal scorer. He's already got a history of shoulder and wrist issues that have plagued him constantly in his career. One more and we could see a pretty sharp decline.

This is 100% correct.

He's been on the decline for 2 years now.

60 Goal season, followed by a 50% decline to 40 goals and now, he hasn't even hit 40 goals yet.

The end is just around the corner for his offensive production.

As has been predicted now for 12 months.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Top 10 already. But looking at his skill level, top 5, but I understand that there's guys that produced into their late 30s. But if we're looking at all players primes, he's easily in the top 5. If he can stay healthy I don't see any reason why he can't finish as a top 3 goal scorer of all time.

Reactions: lipstickjunkie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad