Where Does Auston Matthews Rank For You As A Goal Scorer All Time?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Actually probably worth adding he has more goals than any player drafted since 2011.
These are the most biased, cherry picked stats that never impress anybody. I bet he also has the most goals of any American born player drafted first overall since 2011 too, am I right?

As for the thread title, I think I’ve seen enough to say his top end goal scoring talent is a hair below Bobby, Mario, and OV. I can see him in the top 5-10 when his career is all said and done as he starts to widen the gap from players like Stamkos.

Randyne

May 20, 2012
1. Lemieux

everyone else
1. Ovechkin
and the tightly packed crowd.

Top 10 best adj. goal seasons all-time:
1706370915644.png

The gap between Ovechkin and 2nd place is larger than the gap between 2nd and 12th places.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
He has a long way to go and hundreds of goals left to score to rank anywhere at this point. Probably one of the most skilled but he has a lot of years left to determine all time ranking. Let him score his 600th or 700th goal first.

Obviously anything can happen but it would take him missing a whole bunch of time for him not to hit 600 at this point. He’ll even 700 should be somewhat easy unless he falls off a cliff.

9 years until his 35 season. Only needs to average 29 a season to get to 600 and 40 to get to 700.

And the above is without any more goals being scored this year which just being safe he will probably score another 20-25 at minimum.

Reactions: authentic

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
where does he stand? IF he played for any OTHER team but the leafs? This thread would have been closed.

This is just sad. Almost as sad as you replying to a thread about goal scoring by talking about how many points McDavid has produced.

If he played for any team but the Leafs he probably wouldn't have so many people desperately trying to minimize what he's managed to do so far and acting like it's bizarre to discuss where he might end up but that's just imo

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
These are the most biased, cherry picked stats that never impress anybody. I bet he also has the most goals of any American born player drafted first overall since 2011 too, am I right?

As for the thread title, I think I’ve seen enough to say his top end goal scoring talent is a hair below Bobby, Mario, and OV. I can see him in the top 5-10 when his career is all said and done as he starts to widen the gap from players like Stamkos.

That’s a weird post. What is biased and cherry picked about that exactly? Among everyone in the NHL who started their careers up to 5 years before him he has the most goals, how the heck is that not impressive or a biased cherry picked stat? 😂

Considering his peak already matches up quite well with Ovechkin’s, scoring at a 65-70 pace for 3 seasons now to Ovechkin’s one above 60 with literally half the powerplay time I’d say you’re the biased one.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
That’s a weird post. What is biased and cherry picked about that exactly? Among everyone in the NHL who started their careers up to 5 years before him he has the most goals, how the heck is that not impressive or a biased cherry picked stat? 😂

Considering his peak already matches up quite well with Ovechkin’s, scoring at a 65-70 pace for 3 seasons now to Ovechkin’s one above 60 with literally half the powerplay time I’d say you’re the biased one.
I’m not biased, his goal scoring peak has not rivaled Ovechkin’s, and it has been better argued in many threads now how OV has had consistently larger finishes over his opponents in his peak scoring years. As has Mario, as has Bobby Hull’s. We have seen enough to know that Matthews likely will never eclipse those players, but you’re entitled to your opinion.

Those stats of [insert player here] [over a timeline that favors said player here] [on a particular stat that favors said player here] doesn’t impress, and you won’t see anybody bringing up your obscure Matthews stat on a broadcast, as he has many other easy to digest stats that show how dominant of a goal scorer he is for the general public to get the idea that this guy is a force.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Obviously anything can happen but it would take him missing a whole bunch of time for him not to hit 600 at this point. He’ll even 700 should be somewhat easy unless he falls off a cliff.

9 years until his 35 season. Only needs to average 29 a season to get to 600 and 40 to get to 700.

And the above is without any more goals being scored this year which just being safe he will probably score another 20-25 at minimum.
He’s missed extensive time twice because of shoulder injuries, and he has had wrist surgery already. I think it’s pretty safe to say your scenario of him averaging 29 a season needs to certainly be higher to account for potential injuries.

For a guy that has already missed extensive time twice in his career and always seems to be rehabbing something in the off-season, people seem quite optimistic on the back half of his career goal trajectory rivaling the greatest longevity goal scoring freak the NHL has ever seen.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
He’s missed extensive time twice because of shoulder injuries, and he has had wrist surgery already. I think it’s pretty safe to say your scenario of him averaging 29 a season needs to certainly be higher to account for potential injuries.

For a guy that has already missed extensive time twice in his career and always seems to be rehabbing something in the off-season, people seem quite optimistic on the back half of his career goal trajectory rivaling the greatest longevity goal scoring freak the NHL has ever seen.

If the dude is comfortably pushing out 60 goal seasons currently, I am pretty confident in saying he can average like 25 goals a season for 9 years to get to 600.

The odds of him getting to 600 are drastically better than 50/50 at this point.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

The 29 a season would include injuries and his decline though. If he’s hitting 50-60 goals in several years, those help float the other seasons. Hell, even 40+ goal seasons allow for low numbers in other years. Stamkos has dealt with injuries and covid since his age 26 season (where Matthews is at now) after which he was sitting at 321 goals (17 fewer than Matthews has currently), and has still averaged 30.6 goals per season and scored 214 goals in those 7 years despite only passing 30 goals in 3 of those seasons. The rest of this one and two more, he’s looking at passing 600 goals at age 35. Stamkos is a pretty good goal scoring ability comp and he’s going to pass 600 without even being a significant Richard thread the last decade. Something pretty significant will have to happen to Matthews at this point for him not to pass 600 goals.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I’m curious where those who are criticizing his totals have Bure on their lists? Because Bure only had 5 seasons of significance and only scored 100 more goals than Matthews. I understand keeping him lower because he’s going to lose on longevity to similarly talented goalscorers, but in general the best goalscorers peak early and I think he’s shown enough to be considered pretty high up in terms of talent so far

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I’m not biased, his goal scoring peak has not rivaled Ovechkin’s, and it has been better argued in many threads now how OV has had consistently larger finishes over his opponents in his peak scoring years. As has Mario, as has Bobby Hull’s. We have seen enough to know that Matthews likely will never eclipse those players, but you’re entitled to your opinion.

Those stats of [insert player here] [over a timeline that favors said player here] [on a particular stat that favors said player here] doesn’t impress, and you won’t see anybody bringing up your obscure Matthews stat on a broadcast, as he has many other easy to digest stats that show how dominant of a goal scorer he is for the general public to get the idea that this guy is a force.

Ovechkin
2019-20 - 1G (shared rocket)
2018-19 - 1G
2017-18 - 5G
2015-16 - 4G
2014-15 - 10G
2013-14 - 8G
2012-13 - 3G (shortened season)
2008-09 - 10G
2007-08 - 13G

Matthews
2023-24 - 3G (active)
2021-22 - 5G
2020-21 - 8G (shortened season)

Ovechkin really had 4 goal scoring seasons that were significantly better than his peers, compared to Matthews 1. He also missed time in both of his Rocket seasons which would’ve increased the gap even more. Might get there this season as well.

So really, where do you come up with these things.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Let's revisit in a decade. Heck, he will probably still be playing in the league then too.

You can't assess fully without the longevity factor, and we haven't had a chance to see that play out yet.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
1. Ovechkin
and the tightly packed crowd.

Top 10 best adj. goal seasons all-time:
View attachment 811511
The gap between Ovechkin and 2nd place is larger than the gap between 2nd and 12th places.

Adjusted goals you say lol

Let’s have Lemieux play with no 2 line pass rule along with getting to play 3vs3 hockey. Based on my quantitative analysis on the metrics it puts Lemieux still better at scoring goals than Ovechkin and anyone else ever to play hockey.

Don’t embarrass anyone by comparing them to Lemieux

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
He will continue to dominate, at first I worried about his longevity but with his lack of effort in the playoffs he will continue to be fresh for many more good regular seasons. Should be smooth sailing to move up the ranks!

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
Depending on his health, he will finish top 5 for sure most likely. He is the type who doesn't even do much some games, but you can expect him to rip one anyways lol.

He doesn't have to be "on" and he will still score 40 in his sleep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad