Where do the Rangers go from here?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
They should just try again but if they can upgrade on Zib and trade Trouba their chances improve significantly

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
They have a great team, probably make some tweaks here and there.

Got to be happy with Lafreniere and his breakout performance this post season.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Generational level cope lmao
Name me the franchises in better shape than NYR for the next 5 years. There are some but not many. Hard to deny rangers are built for sustainable success. Is there any team in the league that has a vezina goalie in his 20’s, norris dman in his 20’s and a 22 year old upcoming superstar?

Oh and this franchise has a tonnnn of money coming off the books of older guys in the next couple years.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Name me the franchises in better shape than NYR for the next 5 years. There are some but not many. Hard to deny rangers are built for sustainable success. Is there any team in the league that has a vezina goalie in his 20’s, norris dman in his 20’s and a 22 year old upcoming superstar?

Oh and this franchise has a tonnnn of money coming off the books of older guys in the next couple years.
Who is is the 22 YO superstar?

Reactions: BFLO and vtdevils2k

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Tampa had every thing needed for the cup

Elite wingers in Kucherov
Elite Centers in Stamkos and Point
Elite Dmen in Hedman,

Elite goalie in Vasi

And unlike the rangers group that constantly disappears, Tampas group actually showed up in the playoffs year in and year out

Sure, it's easy to say that in hindsight, after they won two Cups. In the summer of 2019, they had just gotten absolutely embarrassed by a much worse team than the 2024 Florida Panthers (outshined by, ironically, Artemi Panarin). And every one of those elite players had looked bad in that series (Hedman might be excused, since I think he was playing injured).

Point and Vasilevski were young players who hadn't proven much of anything yet.

Stamkos was a star player with a very underwhelming playoff history.

Kucherov had been very consistently productive, that's true (outside of 2019). Though I'll note that his career playoff PPG in 2019 (0.95) was the exact same as Mika Zibanejad's current playoff PPG with the Rangers, in roughly the same amount of games. Not really comparing the two players (Kucherov was still better and younger), but I find it funny that one is seen as "constantly disappearing" and the other was "showing up year in and year out".

In the summer of 2019, the geniuses on HF were adamant that this group was too soft, too small, too mentally weak to win the Cup. With their offensive focus, fancy passing, PP reliance, they weren't built for the playoffs. People were calling for Cooper to be fired, for Stamkos to be stripped of the captaincy (or traded)...

Then they won two Cups back to back. Turns out all they needed was a couple tweaks and a good 3rd line.

So, when I hear the HF experts levy the same criticisms against another team, who just lost in the ECF to a great team, I take it with a grain of salt. Doesn't mean the Rangers will win the Cup next year, of course. But even as someone who's not a Rangers fan, I think all the negativity surrounding this team is unwarranted. They had a great year overall, they've got some good young players, and they're not in a major cap crunch yet.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
Trouba might be one of the worst hockey players I’ve ever seen. Every single time he touches the puck something bad happens. When he gets the puck in his own zone, Does he just pick plays to try at random?
An entitled baby too, remember his angst back in WPG? Not captain material imo.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Point and Vasilevski were young players who hadn't proven much of anything yet.
Point had a 41 goal, 92 point season in his age 22 season (the same age as Lafreniere now who just had a 58 point season and is being referred to as a future superstar). Vasilevskiy was 24 (four years younger than Shesterkin right now) and won the Vezina
Stamkos was a star player with a very underwhelming playoff history.
Agreed, so similar to Panarin but three years younger at the time.
Kucherov had been very consistently productive, that's true (outside of 2019). Though I'll note that his career playoff PPG in 2019 (0.95) was the exact same as Mika Zibanejad's current playoff PPG with the Rangers, in roughly the same amount of games.
Career Playoff PPG aside, Kucherov was 25 and had just won the Art Ross by 12 points over McDavid. Zibanajed is 31 and was 48th in scoring this most recent season.
Not really comparing the two players (Kucherov was still better and younger), but I find it funny that one is seen as "constantly disappearing" and the other was "showing up year in and year out".
Don't recall Zibanajed personally getting criticized much. I mean Kucherov's 21 year old postseason where the Lightning made the playoffs would have helped compress his career Playoff PPG down as he was basically an unknown, but was actually a really good and breakout kind of postseason. Relative ages of that point matter a lot there.
In the summer of 2019, the geniuses on HF were adamant that this group was too soft, too small, too mentally weak to win the Cup. With their offensive focus, fancy passing, PP reliance, they weren't built for the playoffs. People were calling for Cooper to be fired, for Stamkos to be stripped of the captaincy (or traded)...
They actually did make a point to address their weaknesses and got tougher.
Then they won two Cups back to back. Turns out all they needed was a couple tweaks and a good 3rd line.
Right, and they were also a good bit younger at the time.
So, when I hear the HF experts levy the same criticisms against another team, who just lost in the ECF to a great team, I take it with a grain of salt. Doesn't mean the Rangers will win the Cup next year, of course. But even as someone who's not a Rangers fan, I think all the negativity surrounding this team is unwarranted. They had a great year overall, they've got some good young players, and they're not in a major cap crunch yet.
They're about a year away from a major cap crunch with Shesterkin and Lafreniere due for big raises and the entire defense besides Fox (who is not a bad contract, but still a big $ Number 1 from a cap perspective) needing extensions or to be re-worked. So they may just run it back and hope for the best, or they may try and be proactive to get out ahead of it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Point had a 41 goal, 92 point season in his age 22 season (the same age as Lafreniere now who just had a 58 point season and is being referred to as a future superstar). Vasilevskiy was 24 (four years younger than Shesterkin right now) and won the Vezina

Agreed, so similar to Panarin but three years younger at the time.

Career Playoff PPG aside, Kucherov was 25 and had just won the Art Ross by 12 points over McDavid. Zibanajed is 31 and was 48th in scoring this most recent season.

Don't recall Zibanajed personally getting criticized much. I mean Kucherov's 21 year old postseason where the Lightning made the playoffs would have helped compress his career Playoff PPG down as he was basically an unknown, but was actually a really good and breakout kind of postseason. Relative ages of that point matter a lot there.

Right, and they were also a good bit younger at the time.

They're about a year away from a major cap crunch with Shesterkin and Lafreniere due for big raises and the entire defense besides Fox (who is not a bad contract, but still a big $ Number 1 from a cap perspective) needing extensions or to be re-worked. So they may just run it back and hope for the best, or they may try and be proactive to get out ahead of it.
No one major comes off the books with an expiring contract this off-season.
Trouba's NMC drops to a 15 team No trade list, so he can be moved if needed. Have to make it work as he's also due $6 mill in real money. NYR however, has no 2nd rounder the next 3 drafts and no 3rd the next 2. But, as a destination for UDFA from NCAA, they should be able to sign guys to replace 3rd round value kids. Have to nail their firsts to ensure a flow of talent.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Trouba's NMC drops to a 15 team No trade list, so he can be moved if needed. Have to make it work as he's also due $6 mill in real money.
It could be tough as he's likely a pure dump, and even with attaching value, the fact that he can block half the League means a lot of the teams that would entertain the trade offer to aid a rebuild are going to be ruled out.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Career Playoff PPG aside,

Why put playoff performance aside? That discussion is wholly about playoff performance. I'm not arguing that the Rangers stars are better than the Tampa stars here, Just that the Tampa stars at the time faced a similar set of question among fans that the Rangers are today: are they too soft, too small? Are they too much of a skill team for playoff hockey?

Sure, they did address their weaknesses. But they didn't blow up the core. And it's not like Stamkos, Kucherov and Point magically became grizzled playoff warriors between 2019 and 2020. They just added a couple of solid low-cap depth players to make a 3rd line that was very effective in the playoffs. That was it, more or less.

People like to whine about how X team's stars "just aren't good enough to win it all" or " can't get it done in the clutch". But most times, the difference between cup contenders that lose and cup contenders that win is just depth (and maybe a bit of luck/health). Teams that lose in the CFs are often just a couple good tweaks away from the Cup. Those tweaks often don't happen, for various reasons, but they exist.

Of course the Rangers might also be more of a Florida 2022 than a Tampa 2019. We'll see.

I think the Rangers's cap crunch is easier to deal with than you seem to. It hinges on getting rid of Trouba, and I don't think it's that hard. 2 years left, limited NTC (15 teams this year, 12 teams the next). I doubt all 20 teams he'd accept being traded to are contenders with no cap space. And any rebuilding team would be perfectly happy to ride out Trouba's final year if you send a 1st rounder along with him. That will take care of most of Lafreniere/Shesterkin's raises; cap going up will likely take care of the rest. As for the defence, it probably needs to be reworked anyway. Fox is signed, Schneider can be bridged, everyone else is relatively expendable/replaceable.

I'm curious what you think NY would get for Lafreniere that would be worth it long-term AND fit under the cap. I think figuring out that trade would be way harder than getting rid of Trouba.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Why put playoff performance aside? That discussion is wholly about playoff performance. I'm not arguing that the Rangers stars are better than the Tampa stars here, Just that the Tampa stars at the time faced a similar set of question among fans that the Rangers are today: are they too soft, too small? Are they too much of a skill team for playoff hockey?
Just on overall level of play, it was clear to me Kucherov had it in him to have a monster postseason.
Sure, they did address their weaknesses. But they didn't blow up the core. And it's not like Stamkos, Kucherov and Point magically became grizzled playoff warriors between 2019 and 2020. They just added a couple of solid low-cap depth players to make a 3rd line that was very effective in the playoffs. That was it, more or less.
For what it's worth, outside of 2019, they had already gotten close, having been to Finals in 2015, going to Game 7 in the ECF in both 2016 and 2018 against the eventual Champions. I think you're overplaying how bad they had been just based on that one series.
People like to whine about how X team's stars "just aren't good enough to win it all" or " can't get it done in the clutch". But most times, the difference between cup contenders that lose and cup contenders that win is just depth (and maybe a bit of luck/health). Teams that lose in the CFs are often just a couple good tweaks away from the Cup. Those tweaks often don't happen, for various reasons, but they exist.
Yeah, but it's more of a "where do they go?" question. Outside Lafreniere, their forwards are kind of old and objectively their defense is pretty suspect after Fox, and they're pretty capped out at the moment. They have largely been riding a worldclass Powerplay and top Goaltender, so we'll see about sustainability and if they actually do have the means to improve to address their weakenesses before the clock hits midnight so the speak.
Of course the Rangers might also be more of a Florida 2022 than a Tampa 2019. We'll see.
Yeah, maybe, Florida made a huge move swapping out Huberdeau for Tkachuk, not sure if that's on the table here.
I think the Rangers's cap crunch is easier to deal with than you seem to. It hinges on getting rid of Trouba, and I don't think it's that hard. 2 years left, limited NTC (15 teams this year, 12 teams the next). I doubt all 20 teams he'd accept being traded to are contenders with no cap space. And any rebuilding team would be perfectly happy to ride out Trouba's final year if you send a 1st rounder along with him. That will take care of most of Lafreniere/Shesterkin's raises; cap going up will likely take care of the rest. As for the defence, it probably needs to be reworked anyway. Fox is signed, Schneider can be bridged, everyone else is relatively expendable/replaceable.
yeah not saying it's impossible, but they do still have to replace. Not sure what to do with Miller, who enters the second year of his bridge deal and was 2nd in ATOI in regular season/playoffs, is young but of questionable goodness. Modest raise and buy a year or two of UFA and hope he gets better? Then Trouba was their number 3, so even if they dump him, they have to assume Schneider is ready to take his role and then sign someone for cheap for Schneider's role.
I'm curious what you think NY would get for Lafreniere that would be worth it long-term AND fit under the cap. I think figuring out that trade would be way harder than getting rid of Trouba.
Probably a top pair LHD

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
That’s if they don’t trade Igor in a blockbuster deal this summer. What does the goalie market look like?

Does Drury have the balls for something like that? So far he hasn’t rocked the boat much.

I feel like he’s going to be a very conservative GM that plays the long game and relies on his draft picks maturing to get to the next window of contention.

It’s not the worst strategy. But I would at least see what he could get for Shesterkin while his trade value is at the highest it will ever be in his career.

Ranger fans love our goal tending though. If it doesn’t work out immediately, Drury’s tenure will come to a swift end. It all depends on how badly he wants to win, but I don’t think the team is in a place where it should be giving 11m to a non-center position.

They got swept one year though. Was that before Vasi and Point?
Tampa already had a cup finals appearance and two ECF berths they are not the same stratosphere as NY it also helps that even in 2019 the lightnings impact players were a lot younger than where the Rangers are now.

In 2019 Stamkos and Hedman was 28 and 27, Kucherov was 25, Vasi was 24, Cernak, Sergachev, and Cirelli, were all 20-21, Point was 22, their "old guys on the team was just depth players in Ryan Callahan and Dan Giradi.

New York right now

Panarin and Kreider are 33 to start next season, Mika is 31, Trouba is 30, Fox is 25 and is young enough to build around the new group. If you want to include Laf after this season as a core player he is 23 at the start of next season. Even Igor is 28 already at the same age Vassi had appeared in 4 cup finals and 6 ECF appearances at the same age.

Sweep or no sweep Tampas group in 2019 had already accomplished more than the current group in New York and their core's overall young age it made sense to keep trying as they were still a lot younger than New Yorks group is right now even.

Already said in another post but compare the ages of Tampas core players in 2019 to New York this season.

By the time Stamkos, Hedman, Vasi were the same ages as Kreider, Panarin, Zib, and Igor they had already won back to back cups and just ended their season on their 3rd consecutive finals appearance

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Name me the franchises in better shape than NYR for the next 5 years.
Look for any team who isnt currently overly reliant on a bunch of 30+ yearolds to win games and you have your answer. New York hasnt exactly been a success story for player development and their prospect pool is near the very bottom

There are some but not many. Hard to deny rangers are built for sustainable success. Is there any team in the league that has a vezina goalie in his 20’s, norris dman in his 20’s and a 22 year old upcoming superstar?
Adorable you left out the most important piece, a franchise C. Best of luck being the new Nashville.

Wasnt aware 57 points is all it takes to be a superstar now? Laf is finally playing at the level he should have been his rookie year. Maybe after a few more years he can have his first PPG season (or the equivalent to 3 Kaapo Kakkos) before he at 30.

Final FYI you should have probably attempted making that cope lineup on cap friendly before you started huffing paint to a concerning degree believing its a real possibility. Boeser, Drai, and Shea Theodore all being rangers is hilarious.

Last edited:

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Look for any team who isnt currently overly reliant on a bunch of 30+ yearolds to win games and you have your answer. New York hasnt exactly been a success story for player development and their prospect pool is near the very bottom

Adorable you left out the most important piece, a franchise C. Best of luck being the new Nashville.

Wasnt aware 57 points is all it takes to be a superstar now? Laf is finally playing at the level he should have been his rookie year. Maybe after a few more years he can have his first PPG season (or the equivalent to 3 Kaapo Kakkos) before he at 30.

Final FYI you should have probably attempted making that cope lineup on cap friendly before you started huffing paint to a concerning degree believing its a real possibility. Boeser, Drai, and Shea Theodore all being rangers is hilarious.
Igor hasn't developed well?
Fox hasnt been developed well?
Laff hasnt been developed well?
Schneider hasnt been developed well?
Kandre hasnt been developed well?
Will cuylle hasnt been developed well?
Chris kreider wasnt developed well?
a 6th round pick who had trouble skating and was 6’8 240 cracking an nhl lineup at age 21 hasnt been developed well?

The funny thing is you are having a tough time answering my original question. Because while there are some teams in better position for the next 5 years than NYR, the list if very very very small

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022

FYI, you might wanna look at laff’s even strength production before you start pointing to 57 points. He isnt on pp1 because the rangers arent gonna fix what isnt broken.

You tried hard but werent that close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad