Where do the Rangers go from here?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
What package of Rangers - reasonably speaking - would bring Brady Tkachuk to New York? Then add Sam Bennett for the Middle Six. Finally, acquire Joel Edmundson and/or another d-man of similar size and style.

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
Learn how to play at 5v5/acquire the players to be better at 5v5?

As a devils fan im hoping they just keep doing what they have been over and over and over and over.

Will be hysterical to see them render 2 goalies the caliber of hank and shesterkin cupless, one after the other.

Reactions: guitarguyvic

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
What package of Rangers - reasonably speaking - would bring Brady Tkachuk to New York? Then add Sam Bennett for the Middle Six. Finally, acquire Joel Edmundson and/or another d-man of similar size and style.
So aquire all good pieces and get rid of bad ones right? In reality it is going to be Ziba-Trochek with underperforming wingers for the next 5 wasted Shesterkin years just like it was Stepan - Brassard back then.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
They just need to tweak. I sure like that idea posted up thread of throwing 12 mill at Draisitle. Wouldn't they still have to trade for his rights ?

Trouba, Mika and to an extent Panarin’s contracts are major anchors… can’t get anywhere with 3 deadweight players in the playoffs.
So Panarin is dead weight now is he

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Probably should have ponied up for Eichel. Instead of pearl clutching over their long list of "untouchable prospects", some of whom have already been traded away for spare parts.
Pegula didn't want to trade him there, but I agree.

Kratsov
Kakko
Laf
Lundkvist
1st 2026

That was more than enough for Eichel. Drury will be fired in 2025 for not making this trade when he had the chance.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
I think they’re gonna feel like they always have a chance at the cup with Igor.
I don't have that hope after how we wasted Lundqvist, lol.
People will laugh but it’s the truth… some times the weaker team advances and that was the case with the Rangers round 2 win over the Canes.
NY's 1st 2 rounds were too easy. They were not ready for the Panthers.
Man, NYR just can't catch a break. Either the Canes were way too easy or were the better team and should have advanced. As long as we can put an asterisk next to the Rangers beating them (again) somehow, I guess.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I assume they'll do what they always do and just throw money at the biggest UFA's available and hope it works out.

Don't really have the space at all to do it. Thats why as an Isles fan I am semi hopeful next summer with that FA class that we do not have to compete with NYR in all likelihood. If we do we lose out 8 of 10 in general.

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
They're a good team, no way around it. Overachieved this year imo, knew Lavi would be a great hire and he was. Instilled some structure and accountability. But...

IMO they're stuck in this good enough to compete, contend, be relevant but not serious Cup contenders. Put them first in the 2nd tier, something like that.

Now... they cannot expect anyone to get that much better outside of Laf who took a major step this year, was dead wrong on him being a career 3rd liner ceiling. But outside of him who can you realistically expect to get better? I believe we've seen the ceiling of Panarin, Zib, Kreider, Fox, their big "stars".

Something has to give bc they've demonstrated this "core" isn't good enough to compete with the East elite when push comes to shove. Got a fortunate draw in '21 with the injuries to Pens goalies and Sid but still couldn't get by TB. Lost to NJ first round with a team that imo was worse than this year's offering. And this year got another fortunate draw by virtue of being 1st in the reg szn but still couldn't get by FL. Some tough decisions will need to be made but if are content w/ standing pat and thinking this current group is good enough to win the Cup, they're in for what the Yankees have been the last few years.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
They're a good team, no way around it. Overachieved this year imo, knew Lavi would be a great hire and he was. Instilled some structure and accountability. But...

IMO they're stuck in this good enough to compete, contend, be relevant but not serious Cup contenders. Put them first in the 2nd tier, something like that.

Now... they cannot expect anyone to get that much better outside of Laf who took a major step this year, was dead wrong on him being a career 3rd liner ceiling. But outside of him who can you realistically expect to get better? I believe we've seen the ceiling of Panarin, Zib, Kreider, Fox, their big "stars".

Something has to give bc they've demonstrated this "core" isn't good enough to compete with the East elite when push comes to shove. Got a fortunate draw in '21 with the injuries to Pens goalies and Sid but still couldn't get by TB. Lost to NJ first round with a team that imo was worse than this year's offering. And this year got another fortunate draw by virtue of being 1st in the reg szn but still couldn't get by FL. Some tough decisions will need to be made but if are content w/ standing pat and thinking this current group is good enough to win the Cup, they're in for what the Yankees have been the last few years.

I agree except with the 2 ECF in 3 years, pres trophy, the best goaltender in the world, 1OA on the cusp of exploding, 120 point winger, norris defenseman? You don't blow that up.

They're a couple pieces away. The problem is, the pieces that they're missing they won't be able to fit under the cap. Barclay Goodrow buyout is essentially a lock at this point, and that's just gonna cover raises to Schneider and Lindgren. Schneider isn't going anywhere but I think letting Lindgren walk may unfortunately be a necessary move. Let Zac Jones cook in that spot and there's your mobile puck moving dman we were missing in the Florida series.

See if you can get Gustafsson back on a 3x$2.5M and that allows you to pick up a big fish defenseman at the deadline for 50% off

Pre deadline:

Fox-Miller
Trouba-Gus
Schneider-Jones

Post deadline:

Same but replace Jones/Gus with someone more studly at a 50% cap hit

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The Character Issues in the room should be a prime concern. You don't just give up in an ECF. Something ain't right with this roster.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The Character Issues in the room should be a prime concern. You don't just give up in an ECF. Something ain't right with this roster.
There are other issues. For example, Lafreniere not getting PP time despite being the team's best ES player for much of the year, and also being the best ES forward on the team in playoffs. This is especially grating due to the team's PP struggles.

Rather than leadership, i feel like there's a rotten culture that goes higher than just the captain level. Oh, wait, Trouba is the greatest captain in all of NHL, nevermind, move on.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
There are other issues. For example, Lafreniere not getting PP time despite being the team's best ES player for much of the year, and also being the best ES forward on the team in playoffs. This is especially grating due to the team's PP struggles.
Lineup and usage issues. Easilly can be handled by coaching and adjustments. Normal stuff.

But none of that stuff matters if the Room ain't right. And the room ain't right in New York.

Seriously, no offence to Rags fans, but you aren't winning anything with this group. A cup is too hard to win without COMPLETE buy in.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Trouba might be one of the worst hockey players I’ve ever seen. Every single time he touches the puck something bad happens. When he gets the puck in his own zone, Does he just pick plays to try at random?

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
The Rangers made it to the ECF twice in 3 years; no reason to blow it all up. Something the best move is to run it back with some tweaks; imagine if Tampa management had listened to HF after 2019 and traded everyone.

IMO, the team has 3 glaring problems that can be addressed:

1- A hole at top 6 RW. They don't need a star there, just a guy who can hang at that level and be a contributor at EV. Ideally with some size and speed; the Rangers top 6 could use an injection of athleticism.

2- The 3rd line. Championship teams can roll at least 3 dangerous, effective lines. The Rangers spent the whole postseason with a 3rd line of JAGs, a zero net-impact line. A healthy Chytil/improved Kakko could solve that problem. If neither of those things happen, Rangers will need to acquire someone; I don't think they have anyone in the AHL who could realistically play that role next year.

3- The D. At the very least, Trouba needs to be shipped out, even if they need to use assets as a sweetener. You can have a bad Dman on your roster, but not a bad Dman paid 8M. The team could use a solid top 4 guy, but then again, so does every single team in the league. They'll probably have to live with promoting Zac Jones and signing a good 3rd pair guy to replace Gustafsson. Which shouldn't be a problem, if they can get rid of Trouba.

The Rangers are in a pretty good spot for a contender. No major cap crunch this offseason, so they still have the cap space and assets to address issues.
Tampa had every thing needed for the cup

Elite wingers in Kucherov
Elite Centers in Stamkos and Point
Elite Dmen in Hedman,

Elite goalie in Vasi

And unlike the rangers group that constantly disappears, Tampas group actually showed up in the playoffs year in and year out

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Rangers are in very good shape once they get past next season. They will be very active come July 2025. It’s one of the worst kept secrets in NHL circles that theyre gearing up to take a run at draisaitl. And while people wanna pretend all agents dont talk to GM’s ahead of time, I wish I could be that trustworthy and naive.

Come July 2025 the rangers likely no longer have Kreider, Trouba, Goodrow, Kakko, Chytil, Lindgren and possibly panarin. They cant get rid of mika because the NMC

Lafreniere-Draisaitl-Perrault
Panarin-Mika-Boeser
Cuylle-Trocheck-Berard
Othmann-Rempe-Edstrom

Kandre-Fox
Shea Theodore-Schneider
Jones- Vet 6D

Igor
Garand
Generational level cope lmao

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Shesterkin should break the Goalie market. I expect an extension July 1st which will kick in for the 2025-26 season and likely be north of $11 million. We're looking at about a $5 million AAV difference against the cap when that kicks in. If they keep Lafreniere around, he'll want a big extension off his bridge as well. They should have tried to extend him for longer last offseason, but couldn't because no cap. Given their Forward core is otherwise quite old, it's probably next year or bust. Other teams with more cap and more in terms of young incoming talent (higher recent draft picks) will likely surpass them by then, and they'll still probably be good enough to make the Playoffs for a bit, but not be much of a threat for more.
That’s if they don’t trade Igor in a blockbuster deal this summer. What does the goalie market look like?

Does Drury have the balls for something like that? So far he hasn’t rocked the boat much.

I feel like he’s going to be a very conservative GM that plays the long game and relies on his draft picks maturing to get to the next window of contention.

It’s not the worst strategy. But I would at least see what he could get for Shesterkin while his trade value is at the highest it will ever be in his career.

Ranger fans love our goal tending though. If it doesn’t work out immediately, Drury’s tenure will come to a swift end. It all depends on how badly he wants to win, but I don’t think the team is in a place where it should be giving 11m to a non-center position.

Tampa had every thing needed for the cup

Elite wingers in Kucherov
Elite Centers in Stamkos and Point
Elite Dmen in Hedman,

Elite goalie in Vasi

And unlike the rangers group that constantly disappears, Tampas group actually showed up in the playoffs year in and year out
They got swept one year though. Was that before Vasi and Point?

Last edited:

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
I agree except with the 2 ECF in 3 years, pres trophy, the best goaltender in the world, 1OA on the cusp of exploding, 120 point winger, norris defenseman? You don't blow that up.

They're a couple pieces away. The problem is, the pieces that they're missing they won't be able to fit under the cap. Barclay Goodrow buyout is essentially a lock at this point, and that's just gonna cover raises to Schneider and Lindgren. Schneider isn't going anywhere but I think letting Lindgren walk may unfortunately be a necessary move. Let Zac Jones cook in that spot and there's your mobile puck moving dman we were missing in the Florida series.

See if you can get Gustafsson back on a 3x$2.5M and that allows you to pick up a big fish defenseman at the deadline for 50% off

Pre deadline:

Fox-Miller
Trouba-Gus
Schneider-Jones

Post deadline:

Same but replace Jones/Gus with someone more studly at a 50% cap hit

Again I think the ECF appearances will actually stunt their growth going forward. Not that it wasn't earned but the got there in '21 by playing a Sid-less Pit team down to their 3G, CAR down to their 3G. This year they beat an AHL level Caps team, and a good Canes team with an issue in net. You shouldn't use those accomplishments to push forward in my opinion.

They've run into 2 teams once they got there that were far better. They're not good enough down the middle, they're not good enough on the back end, their "star" players aren't playoff guys.

And like I said previously I don't see many of them taking a step forward. Most have hit their ceilings and for some like Panarin it's going to be hard to simply maintain last year. The only guys I see taking a step forward are Laf and Schneider.

Again, they're a good team that's stuck in no man's land. Good enough to consistently compete, contend, be relevant etc but not a true Cup contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad