When does the Yzerplan start getting criticized?

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Wings fans starring down their future...

sFeOy.gif

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Maybe for them not to look completely lethargic and unengaged on the ice, for starters.

Last night's entire game along with the second and third periods of the opener vs. Pittsburgh, they looked like they were sleepwalking, exactly how they looked during that horrid stretch in March of last season in must-win games against garbage opponents like Arizona, Montreal and Columbus.
That’s the biggest thing for me.

They look completely unmotivated. They get down two goals and it’s over.

Probably because their coach will always say something like “oh well we tried our best” in every damn post game interview

Lalonde has the backbone of a worm

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Multiple things can be true at once. Yzerman undoubtedly came into a horrible situation in Detroit and has gotten bad lottery luck. That being said -- everything that he can control from trades to UFA signings to drafting has just been nowhere near good enough.

The prospect pool is fine but not amazing and the two premium pieces of the rebuild are a very very good but probably not top 10 in the league in his position good winger and a defenseman who's speedrunning Tyler Myers' career. They've nuked the cap sheet signing a whole lot of horrendous misses in UFA, especially in goal and on defense.

And what does he have to show for it? Missing the playoffs in the easiest year to make it of the last 10 to a god-awful Capitals team (and please spare me the whining about PHI pulling the goalie -- Detroit went head to head against WSH twice in the last ten games and lost both), and starting the season 1-3

Prospect pool ranking: 4

Cap space next season: around $20-23m
Key players to sign: 0

Nuked their cap?

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The most alarming part for me is their pro scouting. The amount of boat anchors they have signed is astounding.

Who are all these boat anchors? And please don't say Husso who is done at end of year and Holl with 1 year left after this one. Copp is the only not good one that lasts more than 1 more season and that is it. Me thinks you know not what an actual boat anchor contract is.

Boat anchors are contracts that are 3 or more years left and bad term. Copp is the only one that this fits with. Even then, with the cap going up it will become less and less an issue.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Multiple things can be true at once. Yzerman undoubtedly came into a horrible situation in Detroit and has gotten bad lottery luck. That being said -- everything that he can control from trades to UFA signings to drafting has just been nowhere near good enough.

The prospect pool is fine but not amazing and the two premium pieces of the rebuild are a very very good but probably not top 10 in the league in his position good winger and a defenseman who's speedrunning Tyler Myers' career. They've nuked the cap sheet signing a whole lot of horrendous misses in UFA, especially in goal and on defense.

And what does he have to show for it? Missing the playoffs in the easiest year to make it of the last 10 to a god-awful Capitals team (and please spare me the whining about PHI pulling the goalie -- Detroit went head to head against WSH twice in the last ten games and lost both), and starting the season 1-3

Comparing Seider to Tyler Myers is a really REALLY bad take. Seider thus far is tracking much closer to Victor Hedman's career start. Not that hard to look up comparables and stats of how players started, and Seider actually has more pts than Hedman had at the start of his career. He is also far superior defensively to Myers.

None of the contracts they have signed stop Detroit from doing anything in the next 2-3 years. Cap is going up and the worst signing in Copp is only overpaid by about a mil. I know he is no Dubois, though so!

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Nuked their cap?

You have zero franchise forwards/ franchise F prospects

Calm down

Detroits vision has been to try to build an average team in their peak

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Those aren’t reasonable fans. Those are the Steve bots who still view him as the legendary on-ice captain and who would still be bleating “Trust the Yzerplan” if Detroit still wasn’t in the playoffs by 2028. It’s 100% unacceptable if Detroit still hasn’t made the playoffs in two years.

The fact that Detroit imploded in March of last season after having a 9 point cushion at the end of February was a massive failure. If they don’t make the playoffs this season, than any reasonable red wings fan would have no choice but to say Yzerman needs to be on the hot seat.

None of us would get 6 years in our respective jobs to make a meaningful leap forward. After 6 years, “incremental improvement” ain’t cutting it anymore, especially for a team that used to set the standard for NHL success. That may be good enough for a team that isn’t a pimple on an elephant’s ass in terms of NHL history like Minnesota and Ottawa - that’s not the standard in Detroit.

I don’t know why some fans make any and every excuse under the sun for sports executives who haven’t produced the meaningful results they were hired for.

Said it before It's because It's Yzerman and It's Detroit, It's wrong and he should be on hot seat now.

But he gets a free ride in Detroit because he's Steve Yzerman, one of the top 2 Red Wings to ever live It's him and Howe.

And because he's a Detroit Icon NOBODY is going to be critical of him, let alone fire him It's not going to happen.

I remember when Detroit was the class of the NHL and now they haven't been a playoff team for 8 years, 5 of those with Yzerman.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Nuked their cap?
Elite players - 0.
Yzerman built himself a team of younger good players with older good players sprinkled in. He has not found any elite players. The Wings are stuck where they are until Yzerman can get elite guys to be their core.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Elite players - 0.
Yzerman built himself a team of younger good players with older good players sprinkled in. He has not found any elite players. The Wings are stuck where they are until Yzerman can get elite guys to be their core.

Basically the early phase of the Yzerplan didn’t benefit from their tank campaigns that would have set them up with a nucleus of elite franchise changing talent. There’s still plenty of talent pushing up through the farm system but at the moment they lag in that department and it limits their ceiling as a program.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Said it before It's because It's Yzerman and It's Detroit, It's wrong and he should be on hot seat now.

But he gets a free ride in Detroit because he's Steve Yzerman, one of the top 2 Red Wings to ever live It's him and Howe.

And because he's a Detroit Icon NOBODY is going to be critical of him, let alone fire him It's not going to happen.

I remember when Detroit was the class of the NHL and now they haven't been a playoff team for 8 years, 5 of those with Yzerman.
Not really addressing your point (and you do make a good point), but if you're talking top two Wings of all time, Lidstrom needs to be in that conversation. Many have him above Yzerman on that list.

To your point, it's hard to say how patient Wings fans would be if the gm were someone other than Steve Yzerman. Any who say that they are not taking who he is into account when they preach patience are probably lying to you.
Personally, I expect the team to regress this year so Im not sweating their win/loss record so much. What Im watching for is improvements in the young players and prospects, which is frustrating so far as most of them are being held back or blocked from more important on ice roles by the run of the mill place holders SY has signed. Still, season is early so hopefully the youth progress enough to give a greater measure of hope for the future.
I find it hard to cry out for pushing Stevie out the door til I know more of what we have from the last few drafts. Feel like thats been the mantra the last few seasons, but these kids dont reach their potential overnight. Anyone can talk of patience, but actualy practicing patience is a truly frustrating endeavor (as we spoiled Wing fans are discovering). Still, I really see no other course but to wait out this crop of youngsters. Do they fire Yzerman and hire a new gm to restart the rebuild?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Calm down

Elite players - 0.
You guys can both see the future? Thats crazy man!!

Care to show me the “Franchise” forwards on both STL and Vegas?

I didn’t know that at 22 and 23 years old, Raymond and Seider were completely done developing and are what they are. Also another fun fact by our future seeing lords

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You guys can both see the future? Thats crazy man!!

Care to show me the “Franchise” forwards on both STL and Vegas?

I didn’t know that at 22 and 23 years old, Raymond and Seider were completely done developing and are what they are. Also another fun fact by our future seeing lords

What has Y shown for you to believe he’s going to suddenly change and make the rebuild work and land a real difference maker

& cute by you for not knowing Vegas roster

Absolutely nobody is watching Detroits rebuild with fear in their eye, Detroit fans are the only ones living in fantasy land

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
I read some of these comments and remember how about 80% of this forum just concentrates on their own team and doesn’t realize how bad the Detroit franchise was when Yzerman took over the team.

The team had literally almost no valuable prospects in the pool.

The prior regime was ordered to try winning at all costs and mortgaged the teams future in order to do so. If you want to debate whether or not it was worth it, now that would be a good thread to make.

With that being said it has been proved time and time again how throwing together a team of young prospects will not win merit you instant success. See Edmonton with two of the best players in the world and Toronto with the other two best players in the world on their roster. You also can’t sign players for a kings ransom and win without having the proper depth.

So what does Yzerman do; he fills a roster with NHLers and gives his more recent draft picks time to grow and turn into true NHLers before throwing them into the league. He keeps his key players signed to under <9M each.

Yzerman’s “questionable” signings such as Holl, Copp, trading for Petry: all these players are place holders for the younger prospects who are on the verge of finally being ready to make the next step.

Has it been a long, tiring process for the fans: yes of course. Going from one of the best teams in the league from the 90s to ~2010, it was bound to happen and many hoped it wouldn’t be such a long process. But it’s understandable. Bad lottery luck, never actually tanking and trying to keep and build a winning/professional athlete culture amongst the team and more importantly for the players of the future, that’s what has been done since Yzerman has come back to Detroit.

Had their not of been recent tiebreaker changes, Detroit would have been back in the playoffs last year too. It’s been constant improvement every year.

As a Wing’s fan I have nothing to complain about. Obviously the process has been long, but this is supposed to be for building another roster that will be able to compete for years to come and some of the younger guys cooking in the AHL or overseas are starting to look very promising, so when place holder players such as Holl are without contract; one of the kids can take his spot.

Saying he is on the hot seat is ridiculous. In 3-4 years if this team is missing the playoffs then this will be a valid thread, but for the next 1-2 years I don’t think he’s anywhere near the hot seat. The roster is the best it’s looked since #13 and #40 were getting breakout passes from #5….

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024

Calm down

Actually Detroit has a very deep prospect pool, I don't see them being a average team at there peak, they have the making of a very good young defense with some very good Center depth down the middle, you're post basically shows you have no actualy knowledge of the Yzerplan, and yah they have no franchise forwards not there fault they missed out on lottery picks.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Who are all these boat anchors? And please don't say Husso who is done at end of year and Holl with 1 year left after this one. Copp is the only not good one that lasts more than 1 more season and that is it. Me thinks you know not what an actual boat anchor contract is.

Boat anchors are contracts that are 3 or more years left and bad term. Copp is the only one that this fits with. Even then, with the cap going up it will become less and less an issue.
1/3 of the cap on tarasenko chiarot Holl compher kane is beyond ass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad